Kel's 20 Seconds of Beast Mode x 4 Weeks: Activated

Keldream Nebula

Hello everyone!

Woo! Glad to be going on a full challenge!

I did the last couple of weeks of this past challenge, but the goals I listed weren't really accomplished, though I did have unlisted goals I achieved instead. I'm really excited to be getting stronger and eating well. I've spent the past couple of weeks eating better and a lot less sugar. Had some off meals due to roommate's birthday dinners and some baking-frenzies that we all seem to be getting into (I think its our way of procrastinating :nightmare: ).

In terms of exercise, I found darebee.com and today was Day 17 of the Hero's Journey workout program, which I am loving! Doing all body-weight, as that's most practical right now and I'm more likely to do it. In the future I hope to continue bodyweight things, but also have some weightlifting, though I do not know when that will be.

The goals for this challenge (as of right now) are:

1) Eat veggies (other than sweet potatoes) with at least 1 meal 2 days a week. (I struggle so much with this, I think I have to start small)

2) No more than 1 sugary snack a day and 1 sugary drink (though ideally these are the same thing, and that's what I've been doing for the most part the past couple of weeks).

3) Pass each challenge the Hero's Journey throws at me (beat a dragon Friday, that was pretty awesome).

--A bonus here would be to review 1 form or 10 hands/feet/escapes from my martial arts, that ways I stay familiar with it and keep my muscles engaged in those moves

4) Put 1$ in a jar everyday; want to buy a coffee/snack? Pull it from the jar.

5) Meditate for 5+ minutes a day AND/OR Go for an intentional 10-minute walk to relax and, basically, meditate outside.

I'm sticking with the Rebels for now, because this is my first challenge, but I'm also not sure if I'm more assassin or ranger. I feel like my fitness goals fall very much in both categories. For this challenge I am hoping to work towards bodyweight and even more gymnastic-type feats, and keep going for walk/jogs.

Eventually: I want to try parkour, aerial silks, adding in weights, and some other things.

My current life goal... I guess that's to feel good about my college graduation this spring and whatever I decide to do for grad school next year.

Sorry for being so verbose! I just can't seem to stop :nevreness:

20 Seconds of Beast Mode x 4 weeks: Activated!

• Like 3

Jedi Quest (Nov 2016): Current Challenge 

~Even the simplest of tasks can help one become a Jedi.

Ahoy there! I'm one of your friendly assassin ambassadors! Welcome to the four week challenges, wherever you may go!

tumblr_m2akcdMgMc1rs5gxyo1_500.gif

I love bodyweight training and I also dabble in weightlifting. I'm currently working on advancing my way up through more advanced push up, pull up, and squat variations!  (I also do lots of other things, a typical assassin affliction!) I like to steal ideas from Darebee sometimes but I've never followed a full progression. How are you liking the set up?  (These days I have my workout programming so down by habit that I wing it/go it on my own mostly.)

I will keep an eye out on you this challenge and please ask away with any questions you might have!!  :D

• Like 2

Assassin extraordinaire!!

Current Challenge

5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34

35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41

(I also do lots of other things, a typical assassin affliction!) I like to steal ideas from Darebee sometimes but I've never followed a full progression. How are you liking the set up?  (These days I have my workout programming so down by habit that I wing it/go it on my own mostly.)

I will keep an eye out on you this challenge and please ask away with any questions you might have!!  :D

Thank you! 

So far no questions, but I'm just getting into the swing of all of this. Though I do feel as though that kitten is going to come out of the screen and get me...

I really like the program I'm doing (Hero's Journey) its a 60 day RPG general fitness one. Each day has a "story" for why you are doing what you are doing, and some days have "karma" so generally if you do fewer sets or pick the easy road there are consequences, which is a great motivator! There is also "weapons training" on some days, and I decided I wanted to work upper body since it looks, generally, very lower-body intensive. Unfortunately, without joining all the sports teams in the all-intimidating-gym for pull-ups and weights (which I don't really know how to use anyways), there wasn't much of an option, so my sister helped me find a back workout to do, and I'm modifying it as I go for difficulty. 

They also have a much more story-involved post-apocalyptic RPG program that is split into 2 parts in case you only want to do 30 days at a time, which looks pretty awesome (you get to choose where you go on the map and stuff). I honestly have only looked at some of their circuits and the programs that had exciting titles, as well as some of the other resources, so I couldn't tell you a whole lot, other than 18 days in I'm loving it!

I did Way more push-ups yesterday than I was able to do 2 weeks ago--its great to be able to see the improvements in such a tangible way!! 

Time to fight the ever-present monster that is homework.....yay  :nonchalance:

• Like 2

They also have a much more story-involved post-apocalyptic RPG program that is split into 2 parts in case you only want to do 30 days at a time, which looks pretty awesome (you get to choose where you go on the map and stuff). I honestly have only looked at some of their circuits and the programs that had exciting titles, as well as some of the other resources, so I couldn't tell you a whole lot, other than 18 days in I'm loving it!

Pandora? I've considered Pandora, but after the Hero's Journey I moved on to less structured things. HJ was a lot of fun.

• Like 1

Jothra

i | ii | iii | iv | v | vi | vii | viii

Ahh...veggies.

I was fortunate to grow up in a family of good cooks and made my way through university cooking in restaurants, so I know how to make good food for myself. Seriously one of the most practical skills I've developed.

Still I observed I wasn't getting as much good greens in me as I aspired to. Enter the blender. Now, I splurged and got a refurbished vitamix and it whips a pony's ass with a belt. However, you can do a totally adequate green smoothie with a regular blender. To do so, stick with spinach as it breaks down easily (less fibrous than kale or collards). I also have to think about economy, so I use frozen spinach. Frozen berries are great...a little steep, but stacked with good food. Try two parts frozen chopped spinach, one part frozen berries, one part juice one part water. Put all in the blender and put the blender in the fridge and it will soften up overnight. Blends well. Jam it down your gullet for/with breakfast. I bet once you get off the ground with this you could really up your greens intake.

Cheers,

CH

• Like 1

Pandora? I've considered Pandora, but after the Hero's Journey I moved on to less structured things. HJ was a lot of fun.

Yes, that's the one! I may have to give it a try, but I think once I finish HJ I might follow their Sparta workout. I should have enough muscle increase at that point to at least be able to make a good attempt at it. 

Eventually I'll make my own workouts, but for now its definitely keeping me going to have the structure--especially fitting it in the middle of schoolwork. And I'm really enjoying the story aspect being provided for me and not having to make up my own  :playful:

• Like 1

Still I observed I wasn't getting as much good greens in me as I aspired to. Enter the blender. Now, I splurged and got a refurbished vitamix and it whips a pony's ass with a belt. However, you can do a totally adequate green smoothie with a regular blender. To do so, stick with spinach as it breaks down easily (less fibrous than kale or collards). I also have to think about economy, so I use frozen spinach. Frozen berries are great...a little steep, but stacked with good food. Try two parts frozen chopped spinach, one part frozen berries, one part juice one part water. Put all in the blender and put the blender in the fridge and it will soften up overnight. Blends well. Jam it down your gullet for/with breakfast. I bet once you get off the ground with this you could really up your greens intake.

Thank you! I always see things for smoothies and think, "that would be a great way to get veggies!" and then promptly forget about that idea. Your recipe sounds great, I'm definitely going to have to do that. 

I have been cooking a lot more, but I tend to stick with the same few things (especially since my favorite dishes that my family makes either make a ton and don't scale well, or its just more work than I can convince myself to do on a school night), and adding in vegetables just seems unnecessary sometimes (or so I tell myself...) even though I know they make a complete meal. Maybe if I choose something to cook (vegetable-wise) once a week, and work on my skills, like you are saying you did through your work and family, then it'll become a lot more natural to add them to my daily meals. 

Conquer the vegetables!!

• Like 1

Good stuff, will be following along again!

My favorite recipe for getting veggies is an omelette. Take any food (really, anything), fry it til it's cooked, then chuck some mixed up egg on top and let it cook through. Bacon, mushroom and onion's a good way to start, but I made one out of a leftover chilli the other week. Just throw in whatever you like.

• Like 1

Level 21 Wood Elf Ranger

STR: 16  -  CON: 22  -  CHA: 9  -  SAN: 19 -  INT: 17

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Current Challenge: Jarric embraces brevity

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 67 68 69 70

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map - 2021 Road Map - 2022 road map/wrap-up

My favorite recipe for getting veggies is an omelette. Take any food (really, anything), fry it til it's cooked, then chuck some mixed up egg on top and let it cook through. Bacon, mushroom and onion's a good way to start, but I made one out of a leftover chilli the other week. Just throw in whatever you like.

Thanks! I already eat scrambled eggs so often, I should do this too! Sounds amazing. Hm. Veggie smoothies + Veggie eggs, sounds like a winning combo for my current day-to-day eating! 

So far so good! 

Following everything along (planning the veggies into my week!). 

I realized today I also need to add in my water-drinking goals into the challenge. Even though I have it as an unspoken one to drink 8+ glasses a day (and I even have a fun free tracker on my phone), when I get busy or stressed I stop actively drinking the water. Today that's resulted in knotted muscles on top of their tightness from working out, which has led to my jaw and head hurting. I know posture while I study is also a big part of this, so if I can make drinking enough water a habit, then I can focus on some sort of posture goal. 

So, updating my challenge with the small tweak of adding in:

6) Drink at least 8 cups of water a day (no more than 4 cups of tea count towards this, to make sure I'm hydrating as much as possible). 

That seems like a lot of goals, but they are small enough I'm confident I can achieve them all. 

• Like 1

Hey Kel, how'd the rest of the week go?

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Hey Kel, how'd the rest of the week go?

Whew, I'm back! 

Sorry its been so long since I updated, I just fell out of the habit and then got caught up in schoolwork. The first week went really well, but this second week has been a lot of sugar added back into my regular food schedule. Between Dairy Queen runs and roommates baking as procrastination, I've just found it really hard to keep away from the sugar. 

This weekend I'm off to the coast with my Marine Biology course, so the food I'll be eating might not be up to what I would like to be eating, but if I make good choices with what we have and just go with it, I should be on track for starting up next week. 

Exercise has been solid though, I haven't missed a day at all. Sunday I may have to because its cardio-intensive, and I don't know that I'll have a chance to do that on the field trip, and then when we get back to campus I have to turn right back around and drive north to see a production of King Lear for my Shakespeare class. I would really rather not miss Sunday (hoping to have time between trips), but if that happens then Monday I'd better be able to do even better during my workout. 

Drinking water is happening, still only eating sweet potatoes (though that's not surprising given the level of junk food I've eaten the past week), and I fell off on my meditation/walking. I have gone for walks or some store runs with friends just to get out and relax for a few minutes, so that's something anyways. This next week will be a great chance to put everything back on track for the remaining time of the challenge, I might have to re-design the implementation of some of my goals though, since I am consistently failing at the same ones. 

On the plus side, eating so much sugar has made me feel physically pretty crappy, so I'm not very inclined to repeat the experience.  :encouragement:

I'll work on that later today or this weekend when we get some down time. 

Back to the grindstone of the challenge!!  :onthego:

• Like 1

AHHHHHHHHH!!!! 

Well that was a crash-and-burn in terms of sticking with posting. Overall I was pretty successful at eating right, some sugar hiccups here and there. I've finished 44 days of my Hero's Journey workout and reconfigured some of my long-term goals and shorter-term expectations. I'm going to make posting one of my goals for April, because I've totally failed at keeping track of progress in a written form on my own, so if I post about it that will give me the visual proof of what I'm doing even when I'm not writing it down. 

Looking back at my goals....I'm not quite sure what I was thinking. They are good in theory, but I didn't really set myself up to follow through with them. Eating right and exercise were generally good (though again, the sugar feel through more often when I wasn't tracking it). Been doing well on drinking water, but meditation and eating veggies hasn't happened. This week was Spring Break and while not doing any homework, I think I've maybe come up with a better way to go about approaching the monster that is eating my vegetables, since I enjoy them but its difficult to get myself to just make them. I know smoothies or omelets would work, its just getting myself to start doing that---and I'm not sure my current little blender can handle veggies so that might not be an option till I"m home for the summer...hm. Things to experiment with. 

In summary, I'm going to start small and more practical this next challenge, and change/add goals as I go. I think I'm going to keep going during the week off, because otherwise I might not get back into it. So onward for Take 2. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Jothra said:

Well then, I'm looking forward to following you next challenge!

Figuring things out is really what the first challenge is for, so the fact that you're working toward another challenge is a good sign.

Thank you! I'm excited to start the next challenge and be much more on top of goal-management. 

• Like 2