• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Well, not gonna make a big deal of it, but things kind of fell apart last challenge. A lot of the things that I wanted to do... they just didn't get done.

The biggest problem, really, was one of schedule, and of not paying my dues daily. So. Gotta set this up differently than I did it before.

Goal 1: Apply to One Gig Daily

I refuse to call it job hunting. The days of the job are dead, at least until I level up. But to go from one gig to the next? Okay. I can do that.

Goal 2: One Codecademy Lesson Daily

Last time was too big. Need to learn from this. Go smaller.

Goal 3: Writing Daily

To the tune of my standards. I have set up minimal, nominal, and maximal goals for me to hit. It's worked before, but I've been slacking. Need to get back to doing this because I love it and I am poorer without it.

Goal 4: Pray Daily

For better or for worse, it's the Lenten season. So, since we're in the spiritual training season so to speak, I figure it's appropriate to make a thing of it. I haven't missed so far, but I'm feeling paranoid, so I'm going to make this a part of the challenge going forward.

I beg y'all's pardon if I sound terse. I promise, it hides nothing. Just... really excited to get to work on getting everything put back together again.

So. Let's go to work.

• Like 9

Hi Kishi!   I now know you! MWUAHAHAHAHAHA.

Also, I really like your goals.  Sometimes nice and concise is good for the soul!    And man, the prayer goal is rocking.   That is an area I could really work on myself!     

So following along!

And, I might, because I know you are kinda a Star Wars type of guy, have to occasionally squee in here as I share snippets from my Sunday night tabletop group Force & Destiny game.   Because... you see, I need more Star Wars influence in my life!   

• Like 2

I'm gonna follow you because you always help me out, though you have a little army so I always think you'll be OK. 

Goals look great! I have done some Code Academy lessons and like them enough. There's been times with error in code or the lesson plan isn't that great, but I suppose you get what you pay for haha. 

I expect great things from you! 

• Like 2

I like your renaming things that sounds off-putting (is that even a word? Mind you, I'm a foreigner :D ) and wish you all the best for your gigs and your challenge! :)

Nah, nah, it's the right word. And the right idea. Thanks!

Hi Kishi!   I now know you! MWUAHAHAHAHAHA.

Also, I really like your goals.  Sometimes nice and concise is good for the soul!    And man, the prayer goal is rocking.   That is an area I could really work on myself!     

So following along!

And, I might, because I know you are kinda a Star Wars type of guy, have to occasionally squee in here as I share snippets from my Sunday night tabletop group Force & Destiny game.   Because... you see, I need more Star Wars influence in my life!   

Hi Starpuck! I NOW KNOW YOU. BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I think I need something good for my inner space after all that. And the prayer goal, well... I don't want to humblebrag on it or anything. It's a goal because... well, I need to work on it too. :)

You know, I really need to get into following people back, because I gotta say, trying to keep up with all the Monks challenge by challenge is proving to be impossible. We have a wonderful problem in our growth. So I should invest back in the people who are investing in me. I shall follow you shortly.

TALK STAR WARS TO ME, YOU MUST

Awesome challenge.  Sometimes it's good just to use it as some extra structure to keep you on track.

I think so, and I seem to do better with that kind of thing.

Interesting, all life goals, subbed

Yup! Training and diet are... managed, at the moment.

Small dailies for the win! 

That's the idea!

I'm gonna follow you because you always help me out, though you have a little army so I always think you'll be OK. 

Goals look great! I have done some Code Academy lessons and like them enough. There's been times with error in code or the lesson plan isn't that great, but I suppose you get what you pay for haha. 

I expect great things from you! 

Dude, I never know if I'mma be okay. I need all the help I can get.

I've... seen some bugs from time to time too. And the computer guys I carry from time to time think that there are better resources out there. Still, I think it works well enough for the price I pay. :P

Me too. Me too...

in! love seeing you dedicate yourself to YOU.

Well, if I'm not for me, then who is? And I work on myself ultimately to serve those I love better, so.

I like the idea of gigs.  Interesting way to look at it.  Any style of gigs in particular?

The ones I like that also pay. Liking the part-time job is primary to me at this point. As I said, I've lost my patience for the old story of the guy who comes in and humbly works his way to the top. It's just not true anymore. Not for someone like me.

Anyway, I'm looking to get into the good side of food services - grocery store work. My Dad has a job at a local chain, and they're looking for someone to stock on 3rd shift. It's the kind of work I'd like to do, and it suits my internal clock pretty well. The only thing I'd have to do, if I got the job, would be to get some blackout curtains so that the sun doesn't keep me up.

Giggity Gig: 1/1

Codecademy: 1/1

Writing: 1/1

Prayer: 1/1

There we go. So small that it didn't make sense not to do them. Applying for the gig took a while, though, which I'm not happy about and probably could have handled more efficiently, but, you know? I'm cool with it.

Also, good news. I have a friend who's willing to help me change the brakes on my car. We were able to find a full set of brakes and rotors for $140, and I'll be taking Wednesday at his place to get my hands dirty and learn how to do this myself. Cross your fingers, folks.

Also, got to have some fun with training today. For those of you just tuning in, I'm working my way through an iteration of the Rite of Passage, a kettlebell-based strength program. It's done as a series of ascending ladders, with the moves being a push and a pull. This particular iteration is Clean and Press, and Pull Ups.

That's gnarly enough, but the truly fiendish part is that you roll die at the end and do either Snatches or Swings for x amount of minutes, with x being the amount of pips you roll on 2D6.

So today, it was 4 ladders of 3 rungs (so, 1,1,1,2,2,2,3,3,ohshitme,3), followed by 7 minutes of snatches at an 'easy' pace - ten per arm followed by a minute's rest. Easy, he says. I thought I was gonna lose the freaking bell.

Anyway, after that... well. One of the gurus I follow issued a challenge. I decided to accept that challenge, and proceeded to do lots of horrible, sprint-based things to myself.

In my defense, I don't think I'm pushing beyond what I can recover from, and if I start getting signs of metabolic stress (feeling cold from the inside, suffering on training, etc), then I have apples, almond butter, and chicken breasts on standby. I think I'm gonna be okay. And also, I've kind of been itching to go back and play with those guys again, just because I'm uninjured and well and unfragile and... well, they're none of those things. I want to show off, and I want to see if all the training I've been doing carries over to this direct kind of anaerobic work.

And it was fun! I enjoyed it. It's a very hopping challenge over there this time. 70 people so far, with 16 active. Should be interesting to see how this all plays out.

That's it for day 1.

• Like 4

Anyway, I'm looking to get into the good side of food services - grocery store work. My Dad has a job at a local chain, and they're looking for someone to stock on 3rd shift. It's the kind of work I'd like to do, and it suits my internal clock pretty well. The only thing I'd have to do, if I got the job, would be to get some blackout curtains so that the sun doesn't keep me up.

That sounds very promissing for you. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Edit: Already knocked on wood for you. That's more common in my cultural backround. Anyway. Good luck :)

• Like 2

I like you being (mostly?) relaxed. You applied for the gig and you're cool with it taking a little longer. So what - at least you got things going! :) Similar with the workout (mean idea to roll your exercise!) - you're cool doing what you can and you have a contingency plan should you encounter troubles. Nice work!

• Like 2

I like the small and steady goals. I see that you are continuing to do amazing exercise things. No challenge needed on that for you. As soon as you level up you will find a new program. :D

• Like 1

That sounds very promissing for you. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Edit: Already knocked on wood for you. That's more common in my cultural backround. Anyway. Good luck :)

I'll take a knock on wood. I'll take whatever I can get.

Keeping it simple, I approve. And 4/4 on the first day! Noice. :D

Good luck finding a gig good sir, and keep rocking those goals. I'll be following along this time around.

I will keep on rocking. It feels too good to not rock.

I hope I find it. I'm not terribly optimistic, but like I said last challenge, Uber is a lever I can use.

I like you being (mostly?) relaxed. You applied for the gig and you're cool with it taking a little longer. So what - at least you got things going! :) Similar with the workout (mean idea to roll your exercise!) - you're cool doing what you can and you have a contingency plan should you encounter troubles. Nice work!

Oh yes! When doesn't matter so much as the fact that one is in fact doing the thing. I once saw a video on the concept of Military Time, which is to say that you have time and what needs to be done. You get done what needs to be done no matter how long it takes, and then you rest. That really jives with me.

I like the small and steady goals. I see that you are continuing to do amazing exercise things. No challenge needed on that for you. As soon as you level up you will find a new program. :D

Well, if it was up to me, I'd be levelling up with Simple and Sinister, but the money's just not there yet. Another reason to gig out I suppose.

Giggity Gig: 2/2

Codecademy: 2/2

Writing: 2/2

Prayer: 2/2

And another one bites the dust.

Heavy swings today, hand training, and core work. Finally had my grip give out a little bit in the hand stuff, but that's been on the horizon for a while now. Also, did handstand work. I kick up to the wall and find my balance rather than the wall... which kind of freaks me out. I think what's happening is I'm finding balance with a bent back, which is hardly the worst thing but it's not what I'm after. Still, it might be fun to play around in there at some point.

The writing goal is kind of frustrating - I've only been doing the minimal, but on the other hand, I'm doing at least something day by day. That's pretty cool.

Had a possible job thing out in Charlotte, but decided to cancel. It would have been a gig talking to college professors and buying-back textbooks from them. Which, having tried that kind of thing before, basically means selling someone on letting me give them money for a thing. The fact that it involves selling is a huge red flag for me, because my muted personality doesn't give me much ability to tell anyone what to do. And it would have meant spending all day Friday on the road when I need part of that day for work. I didn't get out Monday, and I spent today hanging with my folks since they just got back from a funeral.

This is the third re-type of this paragraph because I'm struggling to understand myself. Tell me to go talk to my boss because I earned a raise? Sure. Have a hard talk about what I want and what I can get? No problem. Have fun conversations with casual strangers? Dude, I get 'em eating out of the palm of my hand, telling me I should be in sales. Get me to sell something? The whole thing falls apart... but I don't understand why. I think that's part of the reason I keep an open mind about this, and something in me leaps at the chance, but just... argh. I don't know, man.

Anyway, get the car fixed tomorrow and be back on the road sooner rather than later. This will be a relief.

• Like 5

Day two done, woot!

This is the third re-type of this paragraph because I'm struggling to understand myself. Tell me to go talk to my boss because I earned a raise? Sure. Have a hard talk about what I want and what I can get? No problem. Have fun conversations with casual strangers? Dude, I get 'em eating out of the palm of my hand, telling me I should be in sales. Get me to sell something? The whole thing falls apart... but I don't understand why. I think that's part of the reason I keep an open mind about this, and something in me leaps at the chance, but just... argh. I don't know, man.

Yeah, I have similar issues. I think it's because you think of other people as people. Fundamentally, selling stuff requires that every person be seen as an opportunity for more profit, instead of as individuals. That makes sense, right?

• Like 6

Nice day 2 there Boss!

You probably just don't have that sales pitch gene in you, which isn't a bad thing at all.   I really like buckswrath viewpoint on it.    Unless you were constantly selling something that you felt was truly the best thing ever, and had wholesale trust and confidence in it... maybe then it'd be easier.  But still.   :P  I get it.

Cool discovery on the handstand stuff!    You'll get it straightened out in time - but thus far awesome progress!  ;)  OMG SEE WHAT I DID?

• Like 2

I feel you very hard on the sales thing. I get along with people pretty well... there's a strain of charisma that runs in my family, but it seems to come in two flavors. My dad had, and my little brother has, this thing that just makes people practically bow down and worship them. I've sometimes joked that my brother could pretty easily become a cult leader. My dad was a software developer, but the sales guys used to take him to all their presentations because he sold the stuff better than they did. My brother runs an AT&T store and has been successfully blowing away sales goals since his early 20s. 

My grandfather had, and I have, the quieter side of that coin. People like us, people listen to us, but ask me to sell something? Nope, no thanks, I'm good. My two years in retail was plenty for me, thank you VERY much, and that was non-commissioned, hourly sales on a topic I was highly conversant in (computers).

Elsewise, I'd just like to say that your high-level consistent awesomeness is and continues to be an inspiration, so thanks for being one of our standard-bearers. :D

• Like 4

Catching up!  I like this daily list of goals you have; each one is small and seemingly manageable and helps enforce daily habits!  You always have such well thought out challenges!

Looks like the start of the challenge has been going very well which is awesome!  I understand being somewhat frustrated by writing (or drawing as well in my case), but doing little by little day by day really makes it a habit to sit down and just work.  Some days inspiration hits, some days not so much, but at least putting in the effort is really good :D.

Oof, the charisma needed to sell stuff, even stuff you believe in...I get it.  I don't have the sales pitch gene either; I like designing, I like solving problems, but I already have some confidence issues in presentations, so having to sell something...definitely intimidating.

Glad the car is gonna be fixed!  Definitely a relief.

• Like 1

I kick up to the wall and find my balance rather than the wall... which kind of freaks me out. I think what's happening is I'm finding balance with a bent back, which is hardly the worst thing but it's not what I'm after. Still, it might be fun to play around in there at some point.

[...]

The handstand stuff I've been doing has been facing the wall because it encourages you to keep a hollow bodyline while building your arm and core strength. Maybe give this a try?

Selling stuff is hard. My great grandfather was a salesman which confuses the hell out of me because his son, his grandson and myself were/are very much not that kind of person. Which makes finding a job terrible! Imagine knowing that you're perfect for the position but not being able to sell yourself as a product (which is basically what you do on a job hunt in my experience). Compound that with modesty and the standard Millennial Impostor Syndrome and uffda, a piece of work. 

• Like 2

Day two done, woot!

Yeah, I have similar issues. I think it's because you think of other people as people. Fundamentally, selling stuff requires that every person be seen as an opportunity for more profit, instead of as individuals. That makes sense, right?

It does, and I've heard that as a critique of salesmanship as a whole. I don't mind not being a success in that way.

Nice day 2 there Boss!

You probably just don't have that sales pitch gene in you, which isn't a bad thing at all.   I really like buckswrath viewpoint on it.    Unless you were constantly selling something that you felt was truly the best thing ever, and had wholesale trust and confidence in it... maybe then it'd be easier.  But still.   :tongue:  I get it.

Cool discovery on the handstand stuff!    You'll get it straightened out in time - but thus far awesome progress!  ;)  OMG SEE WHAT I DID?

giphy.gif

I feel you very hard on the sales thing. I get along with people pretty well... there's a strain of charisma that runs in my family, but it seems to come in two flavors. My dad had, and my little brother has, this thing that just makes people practically bow down and worship them. I've sometimes joked that my brother could pretty easily become a cult leader. My dad was a software developer, but the sales guys used to take him to all their presentations because he sold the stuff better than they did. My brother runs an AT&T store and has been successfully blowing away sales goals since his early 20s. 

My grandfather had, and I have, the quieter side of that coin. People like us, people listen to us, but ask me to sell something? Nope, no thanks, I'm good. My two years in retail was plenty for me, thank you VERY much, and that was non-commissioned, hourly sales on a topic I was highly conversant in (computers).

Elsewise, I'd just like to say that your high-level consistent awesomeness is and continues to be an inspiration, so thanks for being one of our standard-bearers. :D

Yeah, see, I feel like that's me, man. My ability to get a lot out of the little information that people give me and my ability to give people the space to be themselves makes me a rare commodity in conversation, I suppose.

Which is great for everyone else, but not so good for me, I think. ^_^;

In the meantime, I'mma continue to bear as much of the standard as I can. :)

Catching up!  I like this daily list of goals you have; each one is small and seemingly manageable and helps enforce daily habits!  You always have such well thought out challenges!

Looks like the start of the challenge has been going very well which is awesome!  I understand being somewhat frustrated by writing (or drawing as well in my case), but doing little by little day by day really makes it a habit to sit down and just work.  Some days inspiration hits, some days not so much, but at least putting in the effort is really good :D.

Oof, the charisma needed to sell stuff, even stuff you believe in...I get it.  I don't have the sales pitch gene either; I like designing, I like solving problems, but I already have some confidence issues in presentations, so having to sell something...definitely intimidating.

Glad the car is gonna be fixed!  Definitely a relief.

Thanks! I thought I had something good last time too, but that one didn't pan out. This one's a refinement of the last, hopefully with the idea of building toward something that I can continue long term.

Yeah, no, I think it's just something that you either got or you don't. I could be as technically proficient as you could ask for - I actually taught salesmen at one point - but I was never able to actually get anyone to buy anything.

Yup! Huge relief!

The handstand stuff I've been doing has been facing the wall because it encourages you to keep a hollow bodyline while building your arm and core strength. Maybe give this a try?

Selling stuff is hard. My great grandfather was a salesman which confuses the hell out of me because his son, his grandson and myself were/are very much not that kind of person. Which makes finding a job terrible! Imagine knowing that you're perfect for the position but not being able to sell yourself as a product (which is basically what you do on a job hunt in my experience). Compound that with modesty and the standard Millennial Impostor Syndrome and uffda, a piece of work. 

I will be eventually. I can press myself up against the wall that way pretty easy. The next step from where I am now is to to an L-stand with my feet against the wall and eventually get my feet off of there.

Well, like I said. It seems to fail me in a very specific context. I interview well, I speak well, I track well, and I'm very good at the technique of mirroring people which covers, like, 90% of getting people on your side. But, in the wrong context, the whole thing just falls apart.

Giggity Gig: 2/3

Codecademy: 2/3

Writing: 2/3

Prayer: 3/3

Well, didn't get much done with today. I got up, prayed, and went to go see my friend about the brakes... which actually turned out to be a simple and inexpensive fix, once you took out the labor and the things the labor wanted to do that didn't need to be done. I spent the rest of the day hanging out with him and fooling around with a kettlebell and doing yoga with him. It was fun times. We didn't fight about opportunities or nothing.

Anyway, got back, said hello to my folks, and then went and trained. Because it was so late, I basically just ran everything together - 4 ladders of 3 rungs each, mixed with shadowboxing and skipping rope, followed by 8 minutes of kettlebell swings (50 swings:20 seconds rest), finished with some circuits from the challenge.

Also, not to raise a fuss about it, but it's my Birthday today, and I totally wasn't expecting anything 'cuz I went out with the folks to dinner at Jose and Sons, a Southern/Mexican fusion place that is awesome. But the parents surprised me with a gift card anyway... so I went and bought a 70 lb bell. Oh wonder, oh horror.

So, no real progress on goals but I got my car finally fixed, I survived a truly hard session, and I have a heavier bell coming my way. All things considered, I'm chalking this one in the WIN column. :)

• Like 6

Oh YAY!!!!  HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!
happy_birthday_awesome_robert_downey_jr.
May anything be as awesome as Robert Downey Jr...

YAY!  A HUGE WIN!  New kettlebell, fixed car, awesome hard training!  Perhaps not much done challenge specific wise but overall looks like a lot of good got done! Fantastic!

• Like 3

Sorry, BlackTezca threw down one of my fandoms wishing you a happy birthday, so it triggers me to throw down another.

2u4o96q.jpg

Nice day there chief!   And in seriousness, I hope your day is awesome, not Loki, though for me, a LOKI day WOULD be awesome.  /drool

Ahem! 

That is also soooo cool about your car!  Fixing your own things is like, one of the most satisfying feelings in the world.

• Like 2

Happy Berf day!

Oh YAY!!!!  HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!
happy_birthday_awesome_robert_downey_jr.
May anything be as awesome as Robert Downey Jr...

YAY!  A HUGE WIN!  New kettlebell, fixed car, awesome hard training!  Perhaps not much done challenge specific wise but overall looks like a lot of good got done! Fantastic!

I second what BlackTezca said, it sounds like you got a ton done!

• Like 1