• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Happy Birthday and yay for new kettlebell!  That means advancing in Simple and Sinister is back on the workout menu?

Excellent news about your car breaks.  It's nice that your friend could help you with that and then have some coll light workout and hangout time :-)

• Like 2

Happy birthday!  

You are supposed to take a rest day and do fun stuff. No apologies. Great that your car needed less work than you expected and you got to have fun with your friend.

• Like 1

6yba0vchmC8.jpg

Nice, small goals.  I still worry about putting job gig searching as a challenge goal.  By the end of the challenge that's 30 gigs you want to apply to - which is fine, if you have a wide range of things to apply for.  But if you're even being slightly picky, that number can rack up some anxiety pretty quick.  So just beware of that, okay?  We need you to keep the Monkery in check with your optimism.  Because I totally have the cynicism covered for all of us.

• Like 3

Oh YAY!!!!  HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!

happy_birthday_awesome_robert_downey_jr.

May anything be as awesome as Robert Downey Jr...

YAY!  A HUGE WIN!  New kettlebell, fixed car, awesome hard training!  Perhaps not much done challenge specific wise but overall looks like a lot of good got done! Fantastic!

YES. I dunno if a new KB is as awesome as RDJ. But I'd like to think it's... close-ish.

Sorry, BlackTezca threw down one of my fandoms wishing you a happy birthday, so it triggers me to throw down another.

2u4o96q.jpg

Nice day there chief!   And in seriousness, I hope your day is awesome, not Loki, though for me, a LOKI day WOULD be awesome.  /drool

Ahem! 

That is also soooo cool about your car!  Fixing your own things is like, one of the most satisfying feelings in the world.

Man, I only hate Tom Hiddleston because he's twice the man I'll ever be. :P

It was definitely satisfying to fix the car, and I can see now why people engage in the practice. It's just a whole different feeling of investment. I feel like I know my car a bit better now.

Happy Berf day!

I second what BlackTezca said, it sounds like you got a ton done!

Thank you!

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

dumbledore-party-hard.gif

I'm not good at gifs and memes, so I;ll just say: Happy Birthday. Hope the day goes well for you.

Thank you, and, it did!

Happy Birthday and yay for new kettlebell!  That means advancing in Simple and Sinister is back on the workout menu?

Excellent news about your car breaks.  It's nice that your friend could help you with that and then have some coll light workout and hangout time :-)

Yup! It's back in rotation. I told the folks that if they got a box from FedEx not to lift it. Just leave it. Nobody's gonna walk away with it.

Yeah, it was really great, and I'm glad I got to get all of that done and taken care of. I'm trying to keep his tips in mind for driving efficiently to make 'em last.

Happy birthday!  

You are supposed to take a rest day and do fun stuff. No apologies. Great that your car needed less work than you expected and you got to have fun with your friend.

Thank you! And yeah, yesterday was just a bunch of happy. I was really glad for it.

6yba0vchmC8.jpg

Nice, small goals.  I still worry about putting job gig searching as a challenge goal.  By the end of the challenge that's 30 gigs you want to apply to - which is fine, if you have a wide range of things to apply for.  But if you're even being slightly picky, that number can rack up some anxiety pretty quick.  So just beware of that, okay?  We need you to keep the Monkery in check with your optimism.  Because I totally have the cynicism covered for all of us.

Thank you!

And, I do have a wide range of things to apply for, and I don't particularly care if any of them get back to me. Something will work out in time. Or not, and my new determination to make this Uber thing work will make the difference. It's really all the same to me at this point.

Giggity Gig: 2/4

Codecademy: 2/4

Writing: 2/4

Prayer: 4/4

Well, today was my actual birthday, and I celebrated as such. I had a lot of opportunities to do stuff and took none of them. It was glorious.

Anyway, back on the horse tomorrow. Pistol practice and Simple and Sinister and shadowboxing. Got to go hang with more friends and eat delicious things and drink delicious things. It was glorious.

Also, my parents surprised me with another gift! New workout pants. They are awesome, although I do feel bad that I skipped out on them to go hang with friends because I found them in my chair when I got back home.

Oh well.

Anyway, back on the wagon for sure tomorrow.

• Like 2

Well, you live with your parents so they have more opportunity to see you.  Spend some time with them all the same.  It's also pretty cool that they give you useful things that support activities you love.  Gift cards count that way.

The shipping on a 70 lb kettlebell must be horrific.

• Like 2

Woot woot.

I think you handled your birthday exactly as b-days are meant to be handled!  Revel in it!

I told a co-worker today (who is trying to lose weight and is worried about her big weekend with her parents and food) "It's okay to loosen the reins, just don't drop them!"     And I think you did a great job of giving the reins some slack without letting the horse go wild.

• Like 4

Well, you live with your parents so they have more opportunity to see you.  Spend some time with them all the same.  It's also pretty cool that they give you useful things that support activities you love.  Gift cards count that way.

The shipping on a 70 lb kettlebell must be horrific.

I do when I can! I make a point of spending time with them. And I really like that they did in fact gift me with something that helps - not just the card but also the pants. It feels like they're paying attention, and maybe I can do something about it.

It was about $27 to ship, but the price was down on account of a sale. It ended up being just in my limits. I probably won't be able to pull that trick again with a gift card, but that just means I could put gloves and gi on there and such.

Woot woot.

I think you handled your birthday exactly as b-days are meant to be handled!  Revel in it!

I told a co-worker today (who is trying to lose weight and is worried about her big weekend with her parents and food) "It's okay to loosen the reins, just don't drop them!"     And I think you did a great job of giving the reins some slack without letting the horse go wild.

I mean, it's only once a year after all. :D

That was good advice that you gave your friend. I tried to follow it, and I think I made it! Which is something that I'm working on, honestly.

Ack, I missed birthday wishes! Sounds like it was pretty awesome :D

You-Know-How-Slow-I-Am-Belated-Birthday.

giphy.gif

Giggity Gig: 3/6

Codecademy: 4/6

Writing: 4/6

Prayer: 6/6

Well, so, gotta catch up my own thread before too much time gets away from me.

I was asked to weigh and measure myself for the transformation challenge I have going on. The results... up two pounds and carrying more bodyfat. And I was all like :(. So I asked the guru about it, got in depth about what's going on, got some advice, and decided to make the changes... after going a full day and a half with no eating. Friday, I had to go to work, and after that was Judo. We spent the night working on uchikomi and refining my sasae, with me realizing that I haven't been pulling up enough to make the throw work. Did a lot of newaza and did well, even after sensei and I strapped on gloves and added (gentle!controlled!) punching into the mix.

Lot of fun things to work on.

Anyhoo, had to go work afterward, so there was no opportunity to go eat or anything. Definitely felt it. Even after a full night's sleep, I was tired, and I had that cold feeling that starts from the inside and makes you shiver no matter how warm you are. Got called away to go help some friends move furniture, which I did, and which felt like nothing. Very good.

Then, trained today - Rite of Passage, and... botched. Failed my very last pull up of my very last ladder. And that means I have to do the whole week over again. Which, honestly, isn't the demoralizing thing it sounds like. I've been in this place enough to understand it as an opportunity to cement myself at a certain level of strength. That's very good.

If there is a demoralizing part, it's that I decided to roll dice to change up the minutes on swings and snatches... and oh buddy. They were very cruel to me. That is all I shall say for now.

Broke the fast, then did the additional workout, and again had fun. It's the first time he's prescribed weighted movements and I've been able to actually do them, thanks in no small part to the kettlebells. Increased the circuits, moved with a quickness.

Afterward, I applied the advice - one gram of protein per pound of body weight. And... I feel so warm now. It's wonderful. I think next progress check is a week and some change from now? We'll see.

Had a friend pitch me on Fidelity, so we'll see how that works out. I've got connections there and I'm qualified for the job that opened up, so we'll see what happens. Didn't hit too many other gigs, although the nice part about small goals is that for most of these, I can catch them up. I'd have to really push the writing to catch it up tomorrow... but then, isn't that the point?

And on we go...

• Like 2

THe dailies seem to be working well for you. I had to share Codecademy with my mom for her students. She has several that have expressed interest.

So happy for you with the brakes! I've been learning that we pay out the wazoo for labor on vehicle stuff, especially now that I'm working with a maintenance crew that handles all their own vehicle maintenance. Their M&O budget really shows the advantages of it. I just don't know how to do any auto stuff!

I, like most everyone else that commented lol, totally understand about the sales job. Want me to work a booth and convince people to visit Arkansas State Parks? I can do it for a week. Want me to help sell make up/scentsy/31/cutlery/most anything else? I'm like "you COULD buy this. Or you COULD save that money, buy a camping hammock, and go to Mount Magazine" lol My mother on the other hand, sold all of those things to fund her dream European vacation.

• Like 1

I was asked to weigh and measure myself for the transformation challenge I have going on. The results... up two pounds and carrying more bodyfat. And I was all like :(. So I asked the guru about it, got in depth about what's going on, got some advice, and decided to make the changes... after going a full day and a half with no eating. Friday, I had to go to work, and after that was Judo. We spent the night working on uchikomi and refining my sasae, with me realizing that I haven't been pulling up enough to make the throw work. Did a lot of newaza and did well, even after sensei and I strapped on gloves and added (gentle!controlled!) punching into the mix.

Then, trained today - Rite of Passage, and... botched. Failed my very last pull up of my very last ladder. And that means I have to do the whole week over again. Which, honestly, isn't the demoralizing thing it sounds like. I've been in this place enough to understand it as an opportunity to cement myself at a certain level of strength. That's very good.

If there is a demoralizing part, it's that I decided to roll dice to change up the minutes on swings and snatches... and oh buddy. They were very cruel to me. That is all I shall say for now.

Afterward, I applied the advice - one gram of protein per pound of body weight. And... I feel so warm now. It's wonderful. I think next progress check is a week and some change from now? We'll see.

Had a friend pitch me on Fidelity, so we'll see how that works out. I've got connections there and I'm qualified for the job that opened up, so we'll see what happens. Didn't hit too many other gigs, although the nice part about small goals is that for most of these, I can catch them up. I'd have to really push the writing to catch it up tomorrow... but then, isn't that the point?

And on we go..

You ate before going to Judo right???  Sasae is very core/posture sensitive.  You're minding that as well?  The Difficult Way has an entry on that throw.  Link if you want it. 

The last rep?  aaaaaugh.  OTOH, you know how close you are already, so this will allow you to really settle that level next week.  Something to be said for that.

Feeling warm and good is the best.  Hopefully, it will show good results on the scale/mirror as well. 

Would that be a job you'd be comfortable with?

• Like 1

THe dailies seem to be working well for you. I had to share Codecademy with my mom for her students. She has several that have expressed interest.

So happy for you with the brakes! I've been learning that we pay out the wazoo for labor on vehicle stuff, especially now that I'm working with a maintenance crew that handles all their own vehicle maintenance. Their M&O budget really shows the advantages of it. I just don't know how to do any auto stuff!

I, like most everyone else that commented lol, totally understand about the sales job. Want me to work a booth and convince people to visit Arkansas State Parks? I can do it for a week. Want me to help sell make up/scentsy/31/cutlery/most anything else? I'm like "you COULD buy this. Or you COULD save that money, buy a camping hammock, and go to Mount Magazine" lol My mother on the other hand, sold all of those things to fund her dream European vacation.

The dailies do seem to be working! And I'm glad that Codecademy was useful to your mom and her students!

Well, the crazy thing about auto stuff is that there's really no way to learn it except to do it. Which doesn't make me an expert on cars at all... but I know how to change a tire, and I've changed out the bulbs in my headlights on my own before. This is the third thing I've figured out how to do, and it took someone who was used to working on vehicles and a YouTube video to figure it out. So, you know, if you got all these guys who can do vehicle work and something comes up... maybe try to work with them?

Yeah, see, and that's the thing. I've been lured in by the thought of doing these things I despise for a great reward like a trip or something, but it never happens to me. It's a case of doing something for the money, which it turns out is just a terrible motivation for me.

You ate before going to Judo right???  Sasae is very core/posture sensitive.  You're minding that as well?  The Difficult Way has an entry on that throw.  Link if you want it.

The last rep?  aaaaaugh.  OTOH, you know how close you are already, so this will allow you to really settle that level next week.  Something to be said for that.

Feeling warm and good is the best.  Hopefully, it will show good results on the scale/mirror as well. 

Would that be a job you'd be comfortable with?

Nope! Did not eat before Judo. Didn't have time. I have been reminded that I need to work on posture and getting in close, which I will work to do. Will definitely take a link.

Yup. And with so much energy going out in terms of workouts and things, settling down and getting everything in line is not a bad idea.

In time. I've been tracking my caloric intakes and they've shot way back up into the 2000's, a happy place I have not seen in quite some time.

Yes! It's a job that's dedicated to serving people, which is something that I enjoy and by all rights appear to be good at. The fact that they'd pay grown-up money and work to help me pay off my student loans and such in particular is just icing on the cake.

Giggity Gig: 6/7

Codecademy: 5/7

Writing: 5/7

Prayer: 7/7

Well, that didn't end near as badly as I thought it might. I applied to work at Costco, and they were willing to take my application for other stores as well. So, figure that counts.

Need to get on coding and writing, though. I think I may need to find a deadline and get to work on a short story, because as it is I'm just doing the bare minimum and it's not enough. Need to get a fire lit under me again for that. Although I did figure out what I'm doing for NaNo this year - a cyberpunk/Norse mythos/military-sci-fi piece. It'll be fun to get that one ready, but no sense in hurrying it.

Took it relatively easy today, training wise. Just did the Bodyweight WOW challenge for the week, and just kind of meandered my way through it.

Anyway. Things ended up better than I thought they would. Now we just have to keep going.

• Like 2

It's amazing to me how simple most auto maintenance/repairs are. By working with a friend who knows what he's doing, I have in the last couple of years learned how to replace complete brake assemblies, change the oil, change the headlight bulbs, all the air filters, and a bunch of other maintenance items that cost ridiculous amounts of money. The year before last I saved myself $500 by buying brake parts and replacing them under the supervision of a competent friend. Just this past year I saved a bunch of money by figuring out my oil disaster problem myself, rather than having to take it into a mechanic over and over again to try and diagnose a really weird problem.

It's likely I'm going to learn how to replace an O2 sensor in the near future, given that my wife's car needs one done. Apparently it's not really that complicated, since the thing just plugs in like any other electronic.

Also, it's a special kind of satisfying to get under the car and do the job. It's messy, it's gross, and it ruins clothes, but dammit--when it's done and you did it, it feels pretty good!

• Like 1

The dailies do seem to be working! And I'm glad that Codecademy was useful to your mom and her students!

Well, the crazy thing about auto stuff is that there's really no way to learn it except to do it. Which doesn't make me an expert on cars at all... but I know how to change a tire, and I've changed out the bulbs in my headlights on my own before. This is the third thing I've figured out how to do, and it took someone who was used to working on vehicles and a YouTube video to figure it out. So, you know, if you got all these guys who can do vehicle work and something comes up... maybe try to work with them?

Yeah, see, and that's the thing. I've been lured in by the thought of doing these things I despise for a great reward like a trip or something, but it never happens to me. It's a case of doing something for the money, which it turns out is just a terrible motivation for me.

I can change a tire, bulbs, and oil. I changed a fuel filter once, but those vary a lot. That's pretty much what I'm supposed to do while I work in maintenance, hence the learning to weld, cut, and etc. We just haven't had any vehicle stuff come up, other than routine stuff on their electric ride.

She was doing anything to earn the money to go on her trip, selling stuff, collecting scrap metal, etc. I think if it were to make her money to live off of, things would not have been successful.

Good luck with the recent gigs. Is the Fidelity like Fidelity investments or is there another one?

• Like 1

Good luck with the gigs. Another transition from "Job" to "Gig" is this:

Each of us are a brand name sole proprietor of our own self as a service. People hire us and pay us based on our ability and willingness bring value to our employers. If we think of our employers as our customers (often our only customers), and constantly try to bring value to organizations willing to pay us for our services, our reputation builds.

Learning how to build your own brand is a constant struggle for many. Making sure you brand has the latest "updates" in skills is also a consistent challenge. But that helps me keep a positive attitude.

• Like 2

Need to get on coding and writing, though. I think I may need to find a deadline and get to work on a short story, because as it is I'm just doing the bare minimum and it's not enough. Need to get a fire lit under me again for that. Although I did figure out what I'm doing for NaNo this year - a cyberpunk/Norse mythos/military-sci-fi piece. It'll be fun to get that one ready, but no sense in hurrying it.

Deadlines are always good for making things happen! Do you have a writing group you can jump into? I keep playing around with the idea of forming an online group, but then I never take further steps.

• Like 1

This is the third re-type of this paragraph because I'm struggling to understand myself. Tell me to go talk to my boss because I earned a raise? Sure. Have a hard talk about what I want and what I can get? No problem. Have fun conversations with casual strangers? Dude, I get 'em eating out of the palm of my hand, telling me I should be in sales. Get me to sell something? The whole thing falls apart... but I don't understand why. I think that's part of the reason I keep an open mind about this, and something in me leaps at the chance, but just... argh. I don't know, man.

I'll add my voice to the "not terribly good at selling stuff" choir. for me, it's because I believe and trust people to know what they want and sales is often, at it's core, disagreeing with someone until they put down the money. plus I don't want more stuff, I don't want to try and convince people to get more stuff. these were hard lessons to learn while screwing around with being a mark kay lady, by the way.

Also, not to raise a fuss about it, but it's my Birthday today, and I totally wasn't expecting anything 'cuz I went out with the folks to dinner at Jose and Sons, a Southern/Mexican fusion place that is awesome. But the parents surprised me with a gift card anyway... so I went and bought a 70 lb bell. Oh wonder, oh horror.

ERMAHGAH happy birthday! so sorry I missed it closer to the date. I'm SO excited you got a 70 lb bell. that is the PERFECT use of a birthday gift card.

• Like 2

It's amazing to me how simple most auto maintenance/repairs are. By working with a friend who knows what he's doing, I have in the last couple of years learned how to replace complete brake assemblies, change the oil, change the headlight bulbs, all the air filters, and a bunch of other maintenance items that cost ridiculous amounts of money. The year before last I saved myself $500 by buying brake parts and replacing them under the supervision of a competent friend. Just this past year I saved a bunch of money by figuring out my oil disaster problem myself, rather than having to take it into a mechanic over and over again to try and diagnose a really weird problem.

It's likely I'm going to learn how to replace an O2 sensor in the near future, given that my wife's car needs one done. Apparently it's not really that complicated, since the thing just plugs in like any other electronic.

Also, it's a special kind of satisfying to get under the car and do the job. It's messy, it's gross, and it ruins clothes, but dammit--when it's done and you did it, it feels pretty good!

It really does! I can see now why this is a hobby for some people. To get in there and see the inner working of a machine... to change it somehow, and then to put it back together, and then to use it. It's very, very satisfying.

Very promising then!  I've heard great things about Costco as an employer.  Hopefully one will work out.

Thought you might find this amusing:  http://torforgeblog.com/2016/03/07/party-like-a-writer-or-why-are-you-screaming-at-your-cheetos/

Very interesting.

Wow, I liked that blog! Cool, thank you for sharing it with me!

It was. Most notable for being the one draft that I ever actually finished, which according to Gaiman means it was my most educational story to me as a writer to date.

I can change a tire, bulbs, and oil. I changed a fuel filter once, but those vary a lot. That's pretty much what I'm supposed to do while I work in maintenance, hence the learning to weld, cut, and etc. We just haven't had any vehicle stuff come up, other than routine stuff on their electric ride.

She was doing anything to earn the money to go on her trip, selling stuff, collecting scrap metal, etc. I think if it were to make her money to live off of, things would not have been successful.

Good luck with the recent gigs. Is the Fidelity like Fidelity investments or is there another one?

Yeah, I can't change my own oil yet. In general, I've been able to find places around here that do it for cheap enough fast enough that I figure it's okay, but you know? I kind of think I'd like to learn.

Ah, I see. She had an end game. She wasn't a career, so to speak.

Yup! Fidelity Investments. One and the same.

CYBERPUNK NORDS?! Also, nice job so far!

JA.

And thank you!

Good luck with the gigs. Another transition from "Job" to "Gig" is this:

Each of us are a brand name sole proprietor of our own self as a service. People hire us and pay us based on our ability and willingness bring value to our employers. If we think of our employers as our customers (often our only customers), and constantly try to bring value to organizations willing to pay us for our services, our reputation builds.

Learning how to build your own brand is a constant struggle for many. Making sure you brand has the latest "updates" in skills is also a consistent challenge. But that helps me keep a positive attitude.

I agree. This is something that I've done very very well, for the most part, in my life as a professional. Not perfectly, of course, but not bad either. Your concept of the latest "updates" is something that I'm working on in the background with Codecademy, because that's where the present is and the future is going. Hence my tendency to approach most work at this point as temporary... because to me, at this point, it is.

Deadlines are always good for making things happen! Do you have a writing group you can jump into? I keep playing around with the idea of forming an online group, but then I never take further steps.

Ah, I got pulled into a writing group, but really it's just me and this other girl; the other people we've tried to pull in just *do not* show up. Artists, girl. They cray.

But really, it's more for accountability than it is anything else at this point. We're not really trading work back and forth... but then, most of what we've been doing has been focused on long form rather than short, you know?

If you have any further notions of forming a group, keep me posted.

I'll add my voice to the "not terribly good at selling stuff" choir. for me, it's because I believe and trust people to know what they want and sales is often, at it's core, disagreeing with someone until they put down the money. plus I don't want more stuff, I don't want to try and convince people to get more stuff. these were hard lessons to learn while screwing around with being a mark kay lady, by the way.

ERMAHGAH happy birthday! so sorry I missed it closer to the date. I'm SO excited you got a 70 lb bell. that is the PERFECT use of a birthday gift card.

Yeah, that's a good point. As someone with an agreeable temperament, being a professionally disagreeable person just feels wrong. Like it goes against the grain of who I am.

OHTHANKYOU. And yeah, I figured it was the best way to go with a gift card. I won't be able to do that with an 88 lb bell, though, but that's ok. I remain unhurried.

Giggity Gig: 1/1

Codecademy: 1/1

Writing: 1/1

Prayer: 1/1

All right. Strong start to week 2. Everything happened exactly as I wanted it to. I applied to be a driver for Amazon Flex, a delivery service for Amazon goods that happens to operate in the city where I live. They say the pay is good and that it's like working your own business. We'll see.

Completed Codecademy and found a magazine to submit to that has a deadline by April 1. And it's Flash Fiction - only up to 700 words or so. Feels like it suits me rather well at the moment.

Trained today: climbed 4 ladders, at 3 rungs: C&P/Pull Ups. Bell is 53#. Mixed in shadowboxing and skipping rope.

Afterward, trained grip: 2x1 full fingertip push ups; 4x40s active ring hangs.

Broke my fast, hung out with my parents, then did the fat loss training. Completed six circuits strongly, which felt great. Afterward, I was feeling kind of feisty, so I decided to throw in one set of hanging knee raises, 30 seconds of a Farmer's Hold on each side (at 35#), and one set of what I call Iron Mans to balance out the raises. Detailed below...

True story, you might recognize this from NF Yoga, but for strength training, I prefer his approach. That's just me though.

Whoo, good day. Good freaking day.

• Like 3

Good week last week and a strong start to this one!!   Nice.   I saw Nord and started scrambling for ESO stuff, but I got pulled away before I could read the blog it might have come from lol... must check later.

Those back exercises are wicked.  I might try the first one as a means to help me with my shoulder woes!

Sounds like you got yourself in a good grove Kishi!  Keep it up man!

• Like 1

I did not! Thank you for pointing it out to me. I'll definitely have to give them a look...

Good week last week and a strong start to this one!!   Nice.   I saw Nord and started scrambling for ESO stuff, but I got pulled away before I could read the blog it might have come from lol... must check later.

Those back exercises are wicked.  I might try the first one as a means to help me with my shoulder woes!

Sounds like you got yourself in a good grove Kishi!  Keep it up man!

Hahaha, maybe. I dunno. ESO is definitely awesome (along with the universe at large) but I don't follow it, so I don't know it.

Oh, yes, they are wicked exercises. I've used them, and it's worth pointing out that this guy I keep referencing is a physical therapist in addition to being a trainer. The moves themselves tend to have that kind of wonky, therapeutic kind of feel to them, but they're typically programmed in such a way that you can build some serious muscle with them.

Yes ma'am!

Giggity Gig: 2/2

Codecademy: 2/2

Writing: 2/2

Prayer: 2/2

Boom, another good day. Got everything done right quick today. Even the writing's doing better, although I ended up somewhere between minimal and nominal. Oops.

Anyway, cool thing happened:

12791097_10103167599407309_4832206775396

The third bell came in today! Lookit the size of that damn thing!

Anyway, these are Isabel, Annabel, and Christabel. They are my three loves, but it's not really polyamory because they try to destroy me. I guess you'd call it a polybellicose relationship (many hatreds)... or... one might say... polybell?

Huh? Huh?

Ah, God, I'm gonna die alone.

Anyway, did S&S today with the 70# alone. Just two handed swings. It happened about as I expected it would: hinge is strong, endurance is strong, but the grip is gonna need to ease into this. Also, no telling how the obliques will handle this. TGUs with 53#, wrapped up with some standing walk outs.

I have a theory about core work. I posted an article by Contreras a while back talking about the core exercises that had the most activation, and they've been sitting in my head for a while. For a time, I trained them all together, one after the other, but it took forever, and more to the point I couldn't shake the feeling that I was compromising my spine somehow. Particularly with any kind of hanging ab work. I have an especially aggressive psoas that likes to pull on my lower back when it gets tight.

And when we did yoga, my friend and I, he made a throwaway comment about how everything needs to be balanced, and just a couple days ago I remembered that you're only as strong as your weakest link. So, yesterday, a single set of five raises, followed by 30 seconds of holding the 35# in a Farmer's Carry on each side, and then five Iron Mans to balance it.

Then today, because I did swings, and because Pavel advises to be careful about any kind of flexion in the spine after that kind of work... I focused on standing walk outs. Just five of 'em.

And it was all very hard... but it was brief, and I feel really good.

May be on to something here. Maybe. I don't know if I articulated it well.

In any event, another day done.

• Like 7