• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Ah, you have a complicated poly relationship. Quite typical. :P

Sounds like you are having fun with Christabel. How are you feeling today?

• Like 1

I nearly snorted my coffee at your 'polybell' joke, so SOMEONE out there shares your sense of humor. =)

Boy, I'm glad somebody does. I wish I'd thought to post it in front of my poly friends on FB, but no. The moment for the joke has passed. -_-

How's the coding going? Which program are you working on? 

I'm curious too! Codecademy only has JS/CSS/HTML stuff right? Is that what you're working on?

Mm, no, they have more than that! I mean, right now, yeah, I'm only working on HTML/CSS, and they do have Java, but they also have Python, Ruby, jQuery and PHP. They also have stuff on the Command Line and other dev type stuff, although I get the impression from fares that I bring this up with that it's probably not the best in terms of learning pure programming.

Ah, you have a complicated poly relationship. Quite typical. :tongue:

Sounds like you are having fun with Christabel. How are you feeling today?

Yay, I'm normal!

I'm feeling good today. It's funny that you ask. I can't help but notice - most people are doing a lot less than I am and breaking down and getting sick, and meanwhile I'm being pretty hyper-aggressive and training once to twice a day every day... and I don't feel bad at all. The work seems to work out my sorenesses. I sleep well, I eat well. I recover well.

And I feel good today.

Nerdy humor is hot.

Nerdy workout humor is even better.

Even if you have an aggressive psoas...

Well, at least something about me is. :P

Also my butt looks good. All the swings, you know.

That damn psoas will learn. It will. I don't have time for its nonsense.

Giggity Gig: 3/3

Codecademy: 3/3

Writing: 3/3

Prayer: 3/3

Wow, today was fun. Everything went right today, from a training and diet perspective.

Climbed my ladders with bouts of active recovery. I rolled dice to see how many minutes of swings I had to do. Last week was 8 minutes with 50 swings to 20 seconds rest. This week was 11 minutes of the same. Oh horror.

But I had an idea. I got out the 53#, and then put the 35# next to it, and began swinging. I swung at the prescribed rate for about 8 minutes before my grip started to give out, so when that happened I set the bell down, rested 20 seconds, then switched to the 35 and kept going.

The cool part is that I managed to go from 10,600 pounds in eight minutes to 11,342. And that would have been the end of it, but making it into a drop set with that Practice mindset jumped the volume up to 14,342. Which, you know, that was okay.

More than okay.

Anyway, went and worked for a bit, then came back and did 6 circuits of the fat-burning workout. This time managed to get my time down to 21:05, which for the given intensity is very very good. Given that the preferred upper limit in this training philosophy is 25:00, I'll take it.

So, yeah. Just baked a chicken breast and smothered it in avocado and salsa. It didn't plate pretty, but I didn't need it to. :D

• Like 3

that back workout! thank you. I am going to try and work that in.

The third bell came in today! Lookit the size of that damn thing!

Anyway, these are Isabel, Annabel, and Christabel. They are my three loves, but it's not really polyamory because they try to destroy me. I guess you'd call it a polybellicose relationship (many hatreds)... or... one might say... polybell?

Huh? Huh?

Ah, God, I'm gonna die alone.

BWAHAHAHA

you know what, I'm a nerd from eastern tennessee and it turns out that the sense of terrible punnage humor in eastern tennessee is similar to that also found in western ohio, the family seat of my nerdish husband. this might be a geography issue, PLUS a pun issue, PLUS a nerd issue. not insurmountable. ;)

why does no one ever do any evaluation of regional humor? (probably fear of exposure to eastern TN/western OH puns.)

• Like 1

So, training smart as well as hard.  Knowing when to back down allows you to train more overall.

I have this mental picture of you merrily sprinting down a field with American football players labelled with conditions/damage you're avoiding missing you with attempted tackles.  Kind of like Lady Cluck in the Disney Robin Hood movie.

So, yeah. Just baked a chicken breast and smothered it in avocado and salsa. It didn't plate pretty, but I didn't need it to. :D

*drooool*  Does not need to be pretty.

• Like 1

Anyway, these are Isabel, Annabel, and Christabel. They are my three loves, but it's not really polyamory because they try to destroy me. I guess you'd call it a polybellicose relationship (many hatreds)... or... one might say... polybell?

Huh? Huh?

O M G.     I <3 You.

This one came up on my feed yesterday and now I know where I can share it!

0b1fa8e2e4c37c0df4a2dc261c8fd44d.jpg

Reading about your work outs both terrifies me, and oddly entrances me.   Like watching a front load washing machine slowly tumble your clothes.   It makes me want to have such a simple and successful approach- and yet, my body defies me.  Gaaaaaaaah.

Anyway, I'd be lion if I said your check in wasn't totally rocking out.

• Like 4

that back workout! thank you. I am going to try and work that in.

BWAHAHAHA

you know what, I'm a nerd from eastern tennessee and it turns out that the sense of terrible punnage humor in eastern tennessee is similar to that also found in western ohio, the family seat of my nerdish husband. this might be a geography issue, PLUS a pun issue, PLUS a nerd issue. not insurmountable. ;)

why does no one ever do any evaluation of regional humor? (probably fear of exposure to eastern TN/western OH puns.)

I'm telling ya. I know the guy plays schill for himself a lot, and I'm not trying to promote him in that way, but what he does works.

Seriously, we'll do so much to figure out about things like politics and barbecue, but nothing on what makes us laugh. Sad. Anyway, I'd have to get over my fear/pride of not being man enough to be partner to a woman before I worry about the punnage. The right woman won't care anyway.

So, training smart as well as hard.  Knowing when to back down allows you to train more overall.

I have this mental picture of you merrily sprinting down a field with American football players labelled with conditions/damage you're avoiding missing you with attempted tackles.  Kind of like Lady Cluck in the Disney Robin Hood movie.

*drooool*  Does not need to be pretty.

Well, yeah. I used to think that training yourself into the ground was a good idea. This is demonstrably untrue, and I know that now.

I remember that scene! I remember that movie. That was a good one. I grew up on that one.

Indeed. This isn't Chopped.

O M G.     I <3 You.

This one came up on my feed yesterday and now I know where I can share it!

0b1fa8e2e4c37c0df4a2dc261c8fd44d.jpg

Reading about your work outs both terrifies me, and oddly entrances me.   Like watching a front load washing machine slowly tumble your clothes.   It makes me want to have such a simple and successful approach- and yet, my body defies me.  Gaaaaaaaah.

Anyway, I'd be lion if I said your check in wasn't totally rocking out.

Aw, girl, you can share your puns anywhere you like. And I've heard that my reports have that tendency. Believe me when I say it took a long time and a lot of effort. I got hurt a lot and I tended to jump from one program to another because I was insecure about my results and what I thought was happening and what I wanted. Some days I'm still insecure, if I'm totally honest.

Anyway, I don't mean to be catty about it but I don't have a pun to give back. Sorry. ;)

Codecademy: 4/4

Writing: 4/4

Prayer: 4/4

And another solid day. Woke up to good news - I have an Interview scheduled for Saturday at 2 PM. It's for an Overnight Stocker position at one of the grocery stores. It's a job that I've always thought looked fun and really wanted to try out, and I really hope I get the position. That would work really well with my schooling in the future, provided that I go through with the certification, which so far I think I'm going to do. More importantly, it's the kind of work that S&S is based on, only lighter. I really want to give it a shot.

Today's training was pretty light. S&S, with only one set of one-arm swings at 70#. Turkish Get Ups and hand work afterward. No need for extra core at this point.

I was going to do some pistol work afterward, but my body had other ideas. I took a step when I was in the kitchen and it felt like I'd stepped on a rock, only the rock was in my hips. Fortunately, I know what that is: that's piriformis syndrome, where the piriformis (a small muscle below the glutes) tightens up and pulls on the sciatic nerve running down the leg. It's not precisely painful, but it does hurt a little, and you feel for a split second like your leg isn't connected to the hip anymore and like you're going to fall.

Fortunately, it's just a fancy muscle cramp, and I know the protocol for dealing with it. All the same, I decided to treat it as a warning sign, so I decided to forego the practice tonight.

Besides, it's my turn to pick the workout of the week for that group, and I went legs. It'll be fine.

In other news, my training ADD is trying to flare up again. I originally took up the Rite of Passage as a means to fill my time whilst waiting to get a 70# bell. I thought it might take some months to make that happen.

Only, well, it's happened now. And I realize that as I continue in S&S that it's going to fit with just about anything I choose to do. I could do any workout program I wanted to - fat loss, muscle building, whatever - and still maintain a base amount of strength and conditioning. And meanwhile, I've been eyeing a couple of progressive calisthenics programs by people who are definitely walking their talk.

I'm not going to jump ship yet, you understand. At least for the next four weeks, I have the transformation contest to focus on, and all my planning and execution is based on ROP working with those workouts. Not to mention that, hey, this stuff works.

Still. It's in my head again, and I need to put it down somewhere so I can see it, you know?

Thanks for being the space, guys. Now to dinner and sleep.

• Like 2

Codecademy: 5/5

Writing: 5/5

Prayer: 5/5

So I need to walk my talk about negative consequences. I've been letting my sleep slip throughout the week and I've been breaking promises to myself as regards my work. I broke my latest promise to myself by having to go out and find shoes for the interview tomorrow, which turned out to be a fairly time-consuming process. No damn good, that.

So, since I didn't work this afternoon, I have to work tonight. Which means no karate.

If I get this other gig, this won't happen again. It can't. How do I know? It's a third-shift job. Even if I ended up working on Friday, it'd start after karate, so there's no way this can go wrong. :D

Unless it does, which in fairness, that's happened before.

Still managed to hit S&S, and with lots of prospective junk food on the horizon, I believe it's time to press on through the fast.

All right. On to the road, then.

• Like 2

Codecademy: 6/6

Writing: 6/6

Prayer: 6/6

Ah, man. Training got me today.

So, after some careful deliberation, I decided to go ahead and shelf ROP for now. Like I said here, it was only ever a placeholder until I could get my hands on a 70. Well, now that I have, I want to devote myself to S&S again. Get that back on track. And like I said - S&S will work with just about any program that I choose to do it with. Maybe even two. But if I want to push the limit on that, then I need to devote more time to it, and it's what feels right. And anyway, it means that I can devote more energy to the transformation challenge also.

Of course, it didn't quite go according to plan. This was a very rough workout today - seven circuits, almost 40 minutes. Not so good, that.

But did my swings and get ups and everything went fine.

Had the interview today. That didn't go so well either. I got there, and the manager told me that the position I was brought in on wasn't actually the position they were interested in me doing. They wanted me to be a dairy clerk instead, and to yield my weekends and such like that. I was fine being flexible about it - my weekends haven't been too busy of late and it wouldn't really spoil any plans. But even so, I couldn't build a connection with the guy. He wasn't terribly interested in me and spent most of his time looking at my application.

Well, fuck it. If he wants me, he can have me. Otherwise, I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it.

UGH THAT GUY. although do you think that he was looking at your app a lot because maybe he's a terrible interviewer, and he is super insecure about talking to other people? that might be the case. good luck.

• Like 2

I agree with my internet twin above.    But regardless of the why, it still leaves an ugh in the mouth.

Keep trucking Kishi.   Keep trucking.

• Like 2

Sounds like you were tired and having a bad couple days. You were doubting things that you were confident about only a couple days earlier. Now that may mean you have figured things out. Or it might mean you need 9 hours of sleep and a couple good meals. See how you feel after you've reset.

Sorry about the blah interview. Stocking shelves in a grocery store tends to be a short-term job for anyone. The manager is not going to get invested in the employees. He is probably trying to guess who is going to show up on time and stay for more than a semester. No loss if this job doesn't work out. There are lots of stores in your area that need people to do the same thing.

• Like 2

UGH THAT GUY. although do you think that he was looking at your app a lot because maybe he's a terrible interviewer, and he is super insecure about talking to other people? that might be the case. good luck.

It might be. I dunno. I have a real skill for empathic listening and really engaging with people in a one-on-one setting. It doesn't always work out in my favor, of course, but failing to do that feels like a failure on me, and not necessarily not on the guy. I don't know if that's arrogant of me or what. Maybe? Probably. Even so.

I agree with my internet twin above.    But regardless of the why, it still leaves an ugh in the mouth.

Keep trucking Kishi.   Keep trucking.

It does and did.

Will do!

giphy.gif

Sounds like you were tired and having a bad couple days. You were doubting things that you were confident about only a couple days earlier. Now that may mean you have figured things out. Or it might mean you need 9 hours of sleep and a couple good meals. See how you feel after you've reset.

Sorry about the blah interview. Stocking shelves in a grocery store tends to be a short-term job for anyone. The manager is not going to get invested in the employees. He is probably trying to guess who is going to show up on time and stay for more than a semester. No loss if this job doesn't work out. There are lots of stores in your area that need people to do the same thing.

Well, yeah. But it wasn't just that. I actually went and talked with one of my old managers at Panera last night, just because ('cuz Lord knows I'm not going back there). And he basically hit it on the head - it was the kind of interview where even if I got the job, I don't know that I'd really even want it anymore.

I definitely appreciate your perspective on this, though. It's something I'll carry with me going forward. After all, I'm not looking for serious (ie long term, 'career') work at this point. It kind of makes sense that the interviewer for such work would assume certain things about me based on that and may not necessarily take me seriously as a result. Stings, but. I get it.

I did get some good food back in me and spent some time in good company. I'm okay, I promise.

Codecademy: 6/7

Writing: 6/7

Prayer: 7/7

And Sunday was very a day. Very busy, now that I'm looking back at it, but even if it hadn't been, Sunday's just a hard day for me to approach with any real sense of discipline. Blame it on my religiosity, I guess, or on being in Southern US culture for so long, but it's just what I do.

But I did spend most of the day being busy. I went out and trained my clients, got paid, and then went off to game with some friends of mine. Which led to sushi, and the accompanying dietary woes that I am more than willing to suffer through. :P

I get a bad feeling, though. Certain personalities which have a penchant for destructive drama are trying to mix again and further one of them is showing signs of unrequited affection for me as well. She needs to stop that, but as someone who has Felt Things, I respect how difficult that can be.

Hooookay.

Still, numbers for the challenge are looking good.

Giggity Gig: 9/10

Codecademy: 11/14

Writing: 11/14

Prayer: 14/14

If I was grading this, it would come out to 12/14, or 86%. Average that with the 90% compliance in Gigs and it comes to 88%. Not perfect, but nothing to sneeze at either. I think some variance of the 80/20 rule applies here.

Had some fun researching stuff last night. As I've mentioned previously, I've been eyeballing some calisthenic programs from people who I feel are walking their talk. And one in particular. Well, as I said, I didn't have the money to go out and buy it and see what was going on. But, I did have some information based on what this guy had talked about and what movements he performed.

Essentially, he's performing a permutation of Convict Conditioning and Start Bodyweight, with a heavier emphasis on muscular hypertrophy than you find in SB's programming. I was actually pretty impressed with myself - prior to getting confirmation, I'd pretty much managed to suss out what he was doing on my own, and I was only off on the exact combination of exercises and the performance of static holds.

How did I get my confirmation?

Well... let's just say that the Internet is a wide, open space, and that you never know just what information you're going to find if you ask the right questions.

Still proud of myself for getting that close on my own, with my own training and wisdom in the matter. While I haven't seen the exact dietary macros that he recommends, I've seen enough to get a sense of it and I can probably guess what exactly he would say to do. I know his protein Rx, and I can guess how the others shape out.

So, I think that's what I'll switch to once the contest is done.

Anyway. It is Monday today. Slept in late, and really shouldn't have, but I'm going to make the most of today and get my chores caught up. I'll post numbers later!

• Like 7

tumblr_mcfenmm5jg1rj6pi1o1_400.gif

I got nothing but a hug.  

Simply being hugged/is more than enough. BT. I am misquoting that song. :D

Also, holy crap! Good to see you again! I owe you all the follows!

RAAAAAAAH. I had a good update schedule going up in here and then I didn't out of nowhere. We fix this now, yes!?

Giggity Gig: 7/1

Codecademy: 1/1

Writing: 0/1

Prayer: 1/1

So far so good. Not much to report. Applied to Walmart and, given how I score these things, I basically took care of all my gig applications in one go. Multiple positions in multiple stores. It's a magical thing. If I get any word of other things opening up, I'll definitely pursue this week, but as it is, I think I'm going to try to focus instead on coding and writing.

Trained hard yesterday. Did well. Ran my 7 circuits and this time managed a sub-30 time. Still not fast enough, but loads better than last workout, so I'll take it. Decided to play with pistols last night and had a bit of a breakthrough when I decided to try doing them up on the stairs and focusing on the squat, and not on keeping the off leg out. It was loads easier, and it felt way more constructive than what I was doing before.

To be fair, I didn't do it perfectly - it was more like a box pistol than it was a proper elevated pistol, because in the elevated pistol, you just have a leg drifting low, and you go all the way down. My balance isn't quite right just yet, but I think I can refine that once I have enough strength. I think I'm going to go ahead and start adding reps during this practice.

So, that was fun. Onward to today!

• Like 5

Way to improve your job odds in one go!  Have you applied at Costco? By all accounts they treat their employees better than Walmart.

Also great that you are seeing improvement in your workouts. Which is normal for you, so we don't give you much feedback on it. ;) 

• Like 2

Sounds like a good start to a new week! Getting the writing time in always makes such a big difference for my overall mood...don't know if it's the same for you, but either way glad to hear you'll have some free time for it this week. :)

• Like 1

Way to improve your job odds in one go!  Have you applied at Costco? By all accounts they treat their employees better than Walmart.

Also great that you are seeing improvement in your workouts. Which is normal for you, so we don't give you much feedback on it. ;)

I did! They opened a Costco right nearby to where I live. I actually have applications for 3 positions circling in there.

It's okay. Y'all don't owe me that. I just find these things as I go. Truthfully, it's going to be interesting when I get to the next program because there are going to be moves that I'm going to have to build through one at a time. It may be normal, but it's also necessary. ^_^;

Sounds like a good start to a new week! Getting the writing time in always makes such a big difference for my overall mood...don't know if it's the same for you, but either way glad to hear you'll have some free time for it this week. :)

YES. I feel exactly the same way. I want to get it done first thing, but I put it off, and I put everything else off that I want to do afterward. It's a particularly vicious cycle.

Giggity Gig: 7/2

Codecademy: 2/2

Writing: 1/2

Prayer: 2/2

Well, that was all good. Relatively quiet today. Got up and did my training and worked. Did S&S and worked on my grip. Even with the added accessory work and the generous rest periods, it all only took 30 minutes, for which I was grateful.

Codecademy was fun. Did lists inside of lists today. All that nesting I had to do. All of it. Wow. Nearly threw me, just because of it being a lot of little pieces.

Otherwise, there's really not much to it today. Was going to do handstands and such, but I ended up hanging with friends ultimately decided to skip it. It'll still be there tomorrow.

• Like 6

Hanging with friends instead of handstands!?   Wonder who caused that to happen?

tumblr_inline_nn24zvjxaR1r5ight_500.jpg

Also, on the thing you posted over my way?   Thanks for that. :)   And yes do it!   I 'drew' as a kid, but took yeaaaaaars off.   I've been having so much fun trying to get back into it.   (Ok, yes, and frustration and the ohgodthisishard-ness and all that too.  But it's GOOD for me.)       I came across this the other day, which has been a bit of extra motivation.  (Sometimes I fall into the trap of self taught equates to fake skills.)    But it's legit!   Because a 12 year old on the internet proves it!

• Like 3

Ahhh Codeacademy and all the lists.  Lists are fun and super useful; including lists of lists which is useful for maps and graphs and all sorts of lovely data structures and algorithms!  Glad you're having fun!

Also echoing Starpuck; thank you for the shout out and I'm glad that we can inspire others.  I am very happy to be into the swings of art after my hiatus and it's awesome to see more people drawing and enjoying it :D.

• Like 1

+1 to morale?

---

The fact that PHP has this feature puts a smile on my face. I've used it before, but it is still a trippy thing. http://php.net/manual/en/language.variables.variable.php

Mm, indeed. Morale is a vital yet immeasurable and utterly subjective statistic. Get it high, one must.

Dude, that does look trippy. I don't think I'm at the point where I can fully appreciate it yet, but I hope I get there someday. :)

Hanging with friends instead of handstands!?   Wonder who caused that to happen?

tumblr_inline_nn24zvjxaR1r5ight_500.jpg

Also, on the thing you posted over my way?   Thanks for that. :)   And yes do it!   I 'drew' as a kid, but took yeaaaaaars off.   I've been having so much fun trying to get back into it.   (Ok, yes, and frustration and the ohgodthisishard-ness and all that too.  But it's GOOD for me.)       I came across this the other day, which has been a bit of extra motivation.  (Sometimes I fall into the trap of self taught equates to fake skills.)    But it's legit!   Because a 12 year old on the internet proves it!

Well, gee, Starpuck, who could do such a thing.

I shall. Although I didn't find any videos of the artist I wanted to emulate drawing. Clearly, I'm going to have to sneak into his studio and watch. In a totally stealthy and non-creepy manner.

Ahhh Codeacademy and all the lists.  Lists are fun and super useful; including lists of lists which is useful for maps and graphs and all sorts of lovely data structures and algorithms!  Glad you're having fun!

Also echoing Starpuck; thank you for the shout out and I'm glad that we can inspire others.  I am very happy to be into the swings of art after my hiatus and it's awesome to see more people drawing and enjoying it :D.

So far! I got into comments today, like making comments in the code in html. I think that I may be in a position to have a truly dangerous amount of fun.

Well, I mean, I read a lot of webcomics, and it's always occurred to me that if I were to ever work with an artist, the artist would be doing the heavy lifting like whoa. And also, I kind of accidentally got good at drawing hands. I wish I'd done more, but if I don't start again, all I get to do is carry my regret. Not to get heavy, but you know what I mean?

You could do handstands with your friends?  You've been mentioning less time in general with friends so this is good :-)

Yes, this is true. I like having a reason to stop working early, even if it's ill-afforded. :P

Giggity Gig: 7/3

Codecademy: 3/3

Writing: 1/3

Prayer: 3/3

So, the writing. Um. I said I'd did it last night with the idea of doing some and saying I did it to shame myself into it. And, um. I didn't. Totally by accident.

I told myself if I did it fast today and pushed above maximal, I could take credit for yesterday and nobody would know. I failed to do that.

However, in failing, I wrote a lot more than I have recently, and more importantly I noticed some holes in my morning routine, places where I've allowed games and social media to get priority that they really shouldn't have. It made a big difference to me today, in terms of my productivity and how I felt about my day.

Did my fat loss training today, and this time managed to get my circuits done in 24:19. Sweet. Now I get to add another one in. YUS. I also did core work today - eight hanging knee raises, with eight Iron Mans to balance them, Farmer's Carries to balance them out.

And, got another interview lined up! This one's for Walmart, doing some part time work for them. As long as they give me Friday night for karate and time to train my clients, we should be good. This manager sounds friendly. I guess we'll see.

Good day today.

• Like 2