Good luck on the interview today!  Good vibes in your direction!

Good luck!

Lots of gig applications going out, awesome. Good luck on those interviews. Also, yay for friend time, even if it messed with handstand time. lol

Thanks for the well-wishes guys!

Giggity Gig: 3/3

Codecademy: 4/4

Writing: 2/4

Prayer: 4/4

Well, and that was that.

Went in to the interview today and it was good. The manager was friendly, and I got the impression he actually wanted to see me. I would like to have this job, what would basically be a nine hour shift of stocking general merchandise. Um. Yes please. Been itching to give that kind of work a shot ever since I took up the Bells.

Anyway, I was well-dressed and in my car after the interview, so I went to work immediately and had a stellar day. Got business traffic, bar traffic. Ran into a guy who was hosting a party for 50 Cent. Yes, Fiddy himself. Truly I am but two steps and a heap of bad luck from greatness. :D

Today ended up being an impromptu rest from training. I did do some more of those pistols, and I still have trouble balancing forward as opposed to back. I suppose it'll be time to do some kind of goblet variant next, or something, because it's the only way around that that I haven't tried. But in any event, I'm not too worried. I wanna get more reps in before I start gnawing over that problem.

And, that's that for the day. And yes I did my writing. Cheers, y'all!

• Like 8

Anyway, I was well-dressed and in my car after the interview, so I went to work immediately and had a stellar day. Got business traffic, bar traffic. Ran into a guy who was hosting a party for 50 Cent. Yes, Fiddy himself. Truly I am but two steps and a heap of bad luck from greatness. :D

Sounds like a good writing prompt...how the night could have gone had you stuck around with 50 Cent's party planner. :)

Yay for good interviews and workdays!

• Like 1
On 3/18/2016 at 10:40 AM, courtneyc said:

Sounds like a good writing prompt...how the night could have gone had you stuck around with 50 Cent's party planner. :)

Yay for good interviews and workdays!

Yeah, seriously. I think that might be another reason to get a second job - that way, I could afford to heed the calls of these adventures. Otherwise, my nose is to the grindstone to such a degree that I don't hear anything but the echoes, if I may be permitted some poetry.

Well, running a little ragged at the moment, between work and real life and this and that and the other. Things are good! But I can't really afford that much time today. Sorry for that.

Exciting news, though! I got the call back from Walmart! They want to 'schedule a job offer' which I guess means a meeting to iron things out? I missed the call, and when I returned it the manager who made the call had left. Hopefully someone leaves a note so I'm not cold-calling him tomorrow morning, 'cuz that would suck.

Of course, given my luck, the fact that I missed the call means I lost the job, so. Not gonna worry too much. Just get up, make the call, see what happens.

Company over in a bit, so gotta code, write, and train in succession. Okay. Here we go!

• Like 2

Giggity Gig: 3/3

Codecademy: 6/6

Writing: 4/6

Prayer: 6/6

And that's it for the past couple of days. Ended up doing the workout I posted on Bodyweight WOW. Also, did 45 push ups. And 9 hanging knee raises.

Missed out on my kettlebell work, though. Damn. Might need to do that tomorrow. Hope I get the chance. Hope I actually do get the job. That would be fun not to have to worry about that anymore.

Got an NCAA tournament on in my town tonight. Time to drive!

• Like 3
On 3/19/2016 at 3:29 PM, Kishi said:

Exciting news, though! I got the call back from Walmart! They want to 'schedule a job offer' which I guess means a meeting to iron things out? I missed the call, and when I returned it the manager who made the call had left. Hopefully someone leaves a note so I'm not cold-calling him tomorrow morning, 'cuz that would suck.

Of course, given my luck, the fact that I missed the call means I lost the job, so. Not gonna worry too much. Just get up, make the call, see what happens.

Don't sweat missing the call.  Most employers don't expect people to be waiting around for them to call.  Walmart is a huge company and they hire a lot of people, my wife worked there, and they are always looking for people.  Don't worry about a cold call, don't forget, they called you.  You are just returning the call.

Good luck!!

• Like 2

And, site maintenance ate my reply. And I have no time to go back and retype it.

Gist of it is - had a great weekend working hard and driving lots of fares. Girls thought I was cute. Dealt with unrequited love by admitting I have an aesthetic type I'm attracted to despite my body positivity. Spent Sunday night supporting a friend who had a hard Reset done to her life.

Have a meeting to go to in a bit to formally accept a job offer for Walmart. Should be good. Wish me luck!

• Like 6
On 3/20/2016 at 9:02 PM, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

Sending even more good wishes on the job.  It really does sound very promising.  

The good wishes paid off!

On 3/20/2016 at 7:57 PM, Shotokan said:

Don't sweat missing the call.  Most employers don't expect people to be waiting around for them to call.  Walmart is a huge company and they hire a lot of people, my wife worked there, and they are always looking for people.  Don't worry about a cold call, don't forget, they called you.  You are just returning the call.

Good luck!!

I mean, yeah, you know, it was cool. You were right. I kept pointing that out and everyone was really cool about it.

9 hours ago, Mistr said:

Good luck!

Thanks!

6 hours ago, Teirin said:

Excellent.  Gig acquisition successful.  May they give you decent hours that work in with your other activities.

Congrats on handling a difficult situation with tact.  I hope she's ok too.

Well, I tricked them into giving me Friday nights. Although I don't know if they'll always give me the time off, they know I need it and they'll default to not making me work on Friday nights.

I think she was okay? I mean, she was the one who brought up that it was a type thing, and I think she was looking for me to shoot straight and tell her the truth. I tried to do it as kindly as I could, and I never got the impression that I stepped wrong in doing. Time will tell.

(also have I mentioned that what rudimentary knowledge I have of coding is immensely helpful now?)

Codecademy: 1/1

Writing: 1/1

Prayer: 1/1

So, you notice that I am not listing Gig anymore. That is because, I have found a gig.

giphy.gif

That's right, Monks. I have formally accepted a part time job at Walmart, during second shift as a Stocker.

It's not a career. It's not the end of the road, either. Just something I do to sustain myself while I pursue other projects. And, I am exceedingly grateful.

A day's worth of hard training today. Lots of hard stuff. The fat loss workout, where the cold weather helped me hit 8 circuits in 23:00. That was pretty cool. I bet when I go to 9 after the weather's normalized again it'll be harsh, bitter work. That's how I like it. :)

Anyway, I, uh. I got impatient and decided to do a strength program. It may or may not belong to a certain gentleman whom I researched earlier. There's really no way to tell; hell, for all we know, I'm using freely available information that's just tweaked a little bit.

Decline Push Ups: 3x6

Dips: 3x1

Elevated Box Pistol: 3x22,1

Chest-to-Bar Pull Ups: 3x3

Elevated Bridges: 2x20s

L-Sit, legs low: 2x20s

Each of these was done as its own distinct set. I found a rhythm where I could work on shadow boxing, skipping rope, and warming up for the next move while on break time, which is generous by my standards - roughly two to three minutes between sets. Push ups are done at a 3-0-1-0 tempo; down slow, up fast. Also, did not know I could do chest-to-bar; the secret, apparently, is to pull really hard and really fast.

And... that was my day. It was very full and very busy. Very productive. Just what I was hoping for.

• Like 7

That is an excellent update, sir. Many congratulations on landing what you wanted and what works for you. I bet you're going to find that stocking is a hell of a daily workout. :D I worked retail computer sales for a couple years in the early 2000s, and the standing-plus-constant-restocking was the catalyst and support for my first ever major weight loss... and that was sales

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Luciana Valerosa Culming said:

Jay :)

Congraz.

Thank you!

17 hours ago, karinajean said:

YAY GIG! congrats. also, DATA, dude, you are INTENSE.

your weekend sounds equally intense! so many backstories covered up by just a few lines of text. :)

Yeah, Data, man. He feels things.

I actually got into all those stories in the original post, but it got eated. Oh well.

15 hours ago, Kyellan said:

That is an excellent update, sir. Many congratulations on landing what you wanted and what works for you. I bet you're going to find that stocking is a hell of a daily workout. :D I worked retail computer sales for a couple years in the early 2000s, and the standing-plus-constant-restocking was the catalyst and support for my first ever major weight loss... and that was sales

I got a feeling. I once worked for UPS over the Christmas season, and I trained in the Western way, all push and push and push until you die. And it was terrible. Now I train in the Soviet way, which though vigorous is all about leaving energy in the tank, because the trench you have to dig for the Comissar ain't gonna dig itself, comrade.

I hope it all works and feeds into itself.

Also, it gives me an excuse to go out and pick up a pair of Chucks - they're good all-around lifting and moving shoes, and closed toe, and fashionable, which ought to help my lagging CHA scores. :'D

15 hours ago, Starpuck said:

Hehe, my twin above steals my sentiments!

Congrats and ... INTENSE DATA!

I love how much positivity I feel in your posts.   Makes me want to follow suit!

tumblr_mr0svkTnNy1qf7ds7o2_250.gif

Hey, come on in! We allow combatant athletes in here. Joedog is all about that Rugby; we could do with a hockey player in here too. :)

14 hours ago, Mistr said:

Yay for getting the gig at Walmart! One more stepping stone on your way to greatness.

I'm not surprised that you decided to reward yourself with a new strength training program. I hope it does what you want it to. :D

Thanks! And thanks! I think they'll both prove to be a lot of fun. I can actually input a lot of my skill work into the strength program, so it's actually going to save me time in the long run.

13 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Yaaaay!

:D

Codecademy: 2/2

Writing: 2/2

Prayer: 2/2

And, more good news! I finished the short story today; I'll run edits tomorrow. Deadline is in a week. Anyone up for beta'ing some flash-fiction?

Also, heard back from Fidelity. I've been cleared to actually begin the application process. I dunno if it's gonna work or not, but the person who referred me was pretty hype. I figure it's worth taking a look at. The worst that can happen is they say no, right?

Finished reading Ori Hofmekler's The Warrior Diet today. It's an older book, but it was really ahead of its time in terms of what it said then versus what we say now. It has an interesting notion of training as well, which I don't know if it would work or not. It's not making me itch yet, but I have to admit that it does look interesting - like Crossfit in reverse. It looks really gimmicky, but I'm willing to bet I could construct something out of the concepts. Later. Sooner. Later.

Training was pretty light today. I stayed up too late, got up too late, and took an easy day. Only did S&S; ran out of time to do grip work, but that's okay.

Gamed tonight and had a lot of fun. It's a long distance game, though, and my technology is a little out of date for that kind of thing. Gotta figure that one out. May have ideas on that....

Anyway, solid one today.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Kishi said:

Finished reading Ori Hofmekler's The Warrior Diet today. It's an older book, but it was really ahead of its time in terms of what it said then versus what we say now. It has an interesting notion of training as well, which I don't know if it would work or not. It's not making me itch yet, but I have to admit that it does look interesting - like Crossfit in reverse. It looks really gimmicky, but I'm willing to bet I could construct something out of the concepts.

I read some interesting articles a few of years after it came out, and I think I gave it a brief try when my work schedule made it a good choice.  Wish the data on IF for women was better, kind of a confusing mess of anecdotal evidence.

I don't recall its training advice, though.  Train fasting is what I vaguely recall.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

I read some interesting articles a few of years after it came out, and I think I gave it a brief try when my work schedule made it a good choice.  Wish the data on IF for women was better, kind of a confusing mess of anecdotal evidence.

I don't recall its training advice, though.  Train fasting is what I vaguely recall.

Well, yeah, but he actually goes a step beyond that and prescribes an exercise program, which he refers to as Controlled Fatigue Training. It's built around the idea of learning to work tired, presumably as a warrior would have in the old days. So, never really training to failure, but getting tired and then working to slowly improve what you can do while you're tired.

The specific programming is actually similar to some things I've seen before, but it goes Pre-fatigue->Post-fatigue->Resistance Training->Abdominal and Back Supersets. It looks really, really weird, but the idea of it - of learning to get fatigued and then to come back from that fatigue and fight harder - is incredibly intriguing to me.

But like I said, it reads really weird and I lack the equipment to do most of what he's talking about. Obviously I'd have to get creative with that. He also likes to place a lot of emphasis on shoulder, back, and core development, which he says the old warriors would have had to do. He also says, however, to trust one's instincts, and my instinctual response is to say that that's really inefficient and to think I could do one better.

I think the part of it that intrigues me the most is that he advocates for a cyclical nature to training - a week of strength work, followed by a week of CFT, with the workouts themselves revolving in what they emphasize and such like that.

It's a genuinely complex system - not even that, but a paradigm as I sit and stare at what I type - and it's not something I'm even going to remotely touch until I understand it better. And remember, I have a bunch of stuff I want to learn to do already. I want to learn how to do bodyweight flow like what you see in GMB and Global Bodyweight Training, and I want to develop strength, and I want to be able to do all of that whilst maintaining strength-endurance. So far, the strength and strength endurance pieces are in place, and with just those two I can get a lot of mileage. I have some ideas brewing on how I could start to put these things together and really, really have a lot of fun, but that's all they are. I haven't really sat down and worked it out on paper in front of me.

To give you an idea of how intimidating I find this: I'm not going to do this for at least two weeks, until the Challenge is done, and on a gut level I'd really rather just focus on the two pieces of the puzzle I have in place so far. The strength work in turn has several smaller pieces that will involve both pure strength and skill development, none of which is going to be acquired quickly or easily.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I really do have quite enough on my plate. I'm really not in any hurry.

Codecademy: 3/3

Writing: 3/3

Prayer: 3/3

Welp, got a bunch of stuff done early, so I'm going to go ahead and post. Also because I'm hiding from the coding project. Oh man. It's not coding. It's working with custom themes in Word Press, and oh buddy is it finicky.

I will earn my keep on this one, yessir.

Did my coding work and did as Stephen King says and cut ten percent of the words out of the flashfiction piece. Looking good. Last call for Betas before I go to Facebook to get someone, and Lord knows how all that will turn out.

Did my training as well. Like I mentioned earlier, I've integrated the skill work into the strength work, so, really, it's not this guy's program anymore. I'm throwing a bunch of stuff together, and oh my God is it fun.

Chin Ups: 3x4

Hollow Body Holds: 3x18s

Hands-elevated Pike Press: 3x6

Handstands: 3x30s

Squat Jumps: 3x6

Hanging Knee Raises: 3x41,3

Body Saws: 3x41,3

Iron Man: 3x41,3

Elevated Bridge Hold: 2x20s

Obtuse L-Sit Hold (>90 degree): 2x21,20s

Because we haven't done this in a long time, NOTES:

• There's a lot of breaks in between, but like I said, rhythm: first break, shadowbox; second break, skip rope; third break, warm up.
  • At present, I can do 80 turns of the rope while breathing through my nose. I'm not going the entire break, no, but I think I'm on the right track in terms of improving this slowly and with control.
  • The original information called for elevated pike presses and hanging knee raises alone, but I know enough about these to understand that they are incomplete. In the case of the presses, they're ultimately designed to work toward elevated HSPU, which means I'd have to work on handstands regardless anyway. He thinks it's okay to simply do them against a wall. One, I don't have a set up for elevated work against a wall; two, I don't like the emphasis on rear delt development that leaning against the wall promotes; three, freestanding handstand work is way more badass then leaning against the wall, as well as promoting overall deltoid development.
  • For that matter, though, I struggled with handstands. I kept trying to get my feet on the wall and instead I kicked up to balance. What a fantastic freaking problem to have. :D
  • In the case of the hanging leg work, I know that this promotes a very tight psoas for me, especially in conjunction with L-work. So, I'm implementing my solution where I approach the core as an entire system that needs to be balanced, with hanging work as the weak link in the chain that I base everything else around.
  • Also, those squat jumps? Hella hard, but you only get so much production out of that kind of thing. I'm disappointed that there isn't a progression scheme native to the program. I'll have to address that.

And that's that.

I'll be doing the circuit workout stuff later, just for fun. I'll hit 9 circuits, though I don't know if I'll get it done in under 25:00 or not. I might, but probably not. I'll still probably hit a sub-30 though, but even if I did, that's about all I could tell you because it's proprietary information. Super secret.

So, as long as I'm in a ranting, work-ducking mood, my thoughts on the guru's latest: it's... okay. I mean, the strength-endurance work didn't prepare me to do anaerobic work like what this is based on, so inasmuch as that's concerned, it's a great workout. But it doesn't really build you toward anything, it's just circuit after circuit after circuit. It ultimately conceives of building strength via added weight on barbell movements and just repping to failure on calisthenics movements, which for me represents a lot of difficulties. I've got limited weights to work with, and if I didn't know how to pursue more vigorous versions of various movements I'd be SOL.

I also can't help but note that there's a disturbing amount of people doing this work who are keeling over sick or injured. It might just be the change of seasons, of course, but a lot of these people aren't weak. They're coming in, generally with some manner of activity in their present circumstances. I dunno how much of it is them overestimating their ability to do the work or what, but it's not a good sign that this is happening. It doesn't seem to promote long term results; alternately, it seems to put us in a position of dependence on the man's programs to keep the results, which ultimately impacts our ability to be free people who train and express ourselves on our own terms.

I dunno. May just be me being a hippie about it. Whatever. The nutrition strategy has been really good, though, when I'm not living hand to mouth. I forgot that my body really, really likes carb cycling, something I should have taken the hint on when in the midst of my high carb experiments I went high on both CHO and fats with no impact on end results. Oh well. Silly Kishi, carbs are for closers! (and if you can guess which two things I just mixed in that last sentence, I will be impressed, and will probably change your title when when we can do that again).

Okay. I'm out of things to say. Time to get back to work.

• Like 3

Awesome news about the job! 

Any time I read your exercise/eating posts I usually end up searching one or more concepts you mention. I feel like there should be a donate button on your thread, so I can support my continued fitness education. :)

Also, if you're still looking for beta readers, I'm up for giving feedback.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Kyellan said:

I'm happy to beta read for you, incidentally. =)

And because I am a colossal geek:

8d0e3afcfd5b6767dc52eda6f140c7f5bdf66007

722337.jpg?b64lines=Q1VCSUNMRVMgQVJFIEZP

Cool! I'll message you shortly.

As to the pictures, the first one is right, but the second is actually a reference to another thing. Do you know what that thing is?

15 hours ago, courtneyc said:

Awesome news about the job! 

Any time I read your exercise/eating posts I usually end up searching one or more concepts you mention. I feel like there should be a donate button on your thread, so I can support my continued fitness education. :)

Also, if you're still looking for beta readers, I'm up for giving feedback.

Thanks! They haven't called about orientation yet, which is weird, but then again, maybe it isn't. I don't really know how Walmart works.

Ha, thanks. You know what they say. Those who can, do. Those who can't, well... you know. Still, I've found an approach that I like.

I know how busy you are, and so I'm grateful. I promise, it's not even 3 pages.

4 hours ago, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

YEA for job!!!!  

:D:D:D

Codecademy: 4/4

Writing: 4/4

Prayer: 4/4

Welp, another one in the bag. Lots of code, a little writing. Much prayer for a Maundy Thursday.

The lady whose site I worked on got back to me and said that I did a great job! And also, that she doesn't like the theme, and wants to tear the whole thing down! Which, admittedly, I'm pretty for. I've never touched themes in WordPress, but something more barebones? Yeah. I can do that. She still wants to pay me, which, dude, I don't even know.

I ran my measurements today and it's all static. I haven't changed at all, and what I see in the mirror confirms it. So, after having sat with my objections for a while, I've decided to drop out of the contest. I think I've gotten what I'm meant to take from it, although I'm getting a bunch of messages like, "No, don't go, stick it out!" And I'm like, No, I don't want any part in a sunk cost fallacy, not when I can see everyone getting hurt and with no real contingency in place for us to keep what we're killing ourselves to get.

Still, two important things: one, anaerobic performance is one of my weak points at present, and two, my body definitely does like carb cycling. It also hates beans forever.

I did just S&S and some grip work. The simplicity was... so beautiful. I missed it.

Oh, also, I have a phone interview scheduled with Fidelity on Tuesday. That's pretty cool.

Still need to get out and work like crazy, though. Okay. Can do.

• Like 5