• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Catching up!  Awesome work on getting the job!  That's awesome.  As well as getting the short story done, doing all the coding, completing a website and getting paid...just wow!  Really productive challenge for you with what seems to be great results so far!

I need to keep better track of threads.  I was pretty good last year but ugh everything has become so hectic!  However, I'm happy to hear that on your front it has been going so well.  That's awesome :D

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Kishi said:

I ran my measurements today and it's all static. I haven't changed at all, and what I see in the mirror confirms it. So, after having sat with my objections for a while, I've decided to drop out of the contest. I think I've gotten what I'm meant to take from it, although I'm getting a bunch of messages like, "No, don't go, stick it out!" And I'm like, No, I don't want any part in a sunk cost fallacy, not when I can see everyone getting hurt and with no real contingency in place for us to keep what we're killing ourselves to get.

Good for you!!  It's hard to walk away from something that isn't working but that other people really seem to believe in.  

Hoping your weekend and Easter are wonderfully blessed!!!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Kishi said:

Cool! I'll message you shortly.

As to the pictures, the first one is right, but the second is actually a reference to another thing. Do you know what that thing is?

Oh, you mean the source reference? Like how pretty much the whole real estate thing in that episode is based on Glengarry Glen Ross? Man, nobody ever goes Simpsons-Inception on me. =)

Got your note, I'll check out the story and get back to you!

• Like 1

I think you are making the right choice to drop a challenge that isn't doing what you want. You've dropped plenty of other programs with about the same time investment. At this point you have the experience to be an excellent judge of how a program works for you.

I'd be happy to read your story if you can wait until the weekend.

On 3/25/2016 at 1:24 AM, Luciana Valerosa Culming said:

Fidelity? I thought they were in Boston. What would you be doing there? So you plan to do two jobs at once. Does this work with your current schedule?

non the less I wish you luck persuing your current plans.

They are in Boston. That is, they're headquartered there. Fidelity is a massive, massive financial company, and they have offices all over the place. If I got the job, I'd be working in an office as a call center rep, taking incoming calls and answering questions. I'd make enough money there that I wouldn't have to work two jobs.

If I got this job, it would be doing work that I'm good at and enjoy, and I'd be making more money than I ever have in my life. If that happened, I could actually begin to do things like pay off my student loans and establish a savings account and such. But even if it falls through and I'm still working a department store and driving and training on the side? I can still do those things. Sort of. Just have to be smarter about it.

On 3/25/2016 at 2:01 AM, BlackTezca said:

Catching up!  Awesome work on getting the job!  That's awesome.  As well as getting the short story done, doing all the coding, completing a website and getting paid...just wow!  Really productive challenge for you with what seems to be great results so far!

I need to keep better track of threads.  I was pretty good last year but ugh everything has become so hectic!  However, I'm happy to hear that on your front it has been going so well.  That's awesome :D

Yeah! I feel really, really good this past challenge. Not that I haven't enjoyed others, but this one seems to have been something special in a way that the others haven't been.

And it's okay. We're all still here and all still struggling together.

On 3/25/2016 at 9:13 AM, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

Good for you!!  It's hard to walk away from something that isn't working but that other people really seem to believe in.  

Hoping your weekend and Easter are wonderfully blessed!!!

Well, honestly, I'm just puzzled/frustrated with them at this point. Nobody seems to be paying attention to the trend of the community. There's about a hundred people in the challenge there; about 20% of them are posting, and of them, roughly half are coming down with a sickness or have an injury or something. It's weird, really: half the propaganda of intensity-based programs is how long slow cardio damages your immune system, but we have all these people doing everything but and getting sick and injured anyway. And, nobody else seems to be questioning this. Which makes me the odd man out, but whatever. I can live with it.

Thank you! And the same to you as well!

On 3/25/2016 at 9:20 AM, Kyellan said:

Oh, you mean the source reference? Like how pretty much the whole real estate thing in that episode is based on Glengarry Glen Ross? Man, nobody ever goes Simpsons-Inception on me. =)

Got your note, I'll check out the story and get back to you!

There you go! You will be the second person whose title I change once we get that power back!

Also, thanks for the feedback!

22 hours ago, Mistr said:

I think you are making the right choice to drop a challenge that isn't doing what you want. You've dropped plenty of other programs with about the same time investment. At this point you have the experience to be an excellent judge of how a program works for you.

I'd be happy to read your story if you can wait until the weekend.

I like to think so. I've just survived a lot of things not working for me, and the things that did end up working for me were not always what they should have been, you know? And honestly, I'm just trying to be wiser about the application of my stubborn streak. :P

I can totally wait! In fact, I'm working on revisions right now. If you like, I'll PM you a copy of the revised edition once it's done. No rush, except that I have a deadline to beat. :D

Codecademy: 5/5

Writing: 5/5

Prayer: 5/5

And, it is finished. I have coded, written, and prayed every day this week.

I noticed something when I included prayer in my morning routine. I picked up the notion, when I first began my morning routine, that a good routine is ten minutes or so. I can do all the things I want to do in 10 minutes, but if I want to pray, I have to take extra time. Something about that notion - the idea of investing in a relationship with the divine (or relationship at all) requiring something more of you than what you give normally - strikes me as very poetic. That's just me, though. I'm admittedly weird.

Anyway, let's total it up.

Giggity Gig: PASS

Codecademy: 23/26

Writing: 21/26

Prayer: 26/26

If run as a series of averages, it totals out to about 92% compliance. It has some low points, obviously - I seriously don't understand how, every challenge I do, I somehow miss five days of writing. I don't get it - but all things considered I'd say this was a good challenge. I have another job and managed to carve training time out of it, I'm learning which new skills I enjoy and am pursuing them, I am learning how to balance more artistic projects with each other and what exactly it means to do so, and I'm learning to pray again.

I think I can call this a success.

The only place that really feels like a failure was my strength training, and that's not even really a real proper fail so much as that was me learning a bit more about what works for me and what doesn't. I am... content with this. I have put some puzzle pieces together again and it feels right, and the next piece that I'm about to throw on is both scary and exciting. I think that makes it the right step. We shall see.

hell, if it works, I might just recertify myself and declare a system of it. But only if it works. This has yet to be seen.

Anyway, now a week to cool my heels and figure out the next steps. I know that I want to reorganize my meditations a bit. At one point, I was working through a bunch of mental exercises in cycle with one another, but I ultimately found that I didn't get the benefits I was after, the tough and joyous mind that I sought. I scaled it back to simply a couple minutes of stillness in the morning, and I have begun to see those things again that I wanted. Even when i went to Maundy Thursday services, I found myself in a place where I experienced the profound grief of the Crucifixion - of the darkest of Dark Nights - in a sort of schizophrenic way, where I felt and at the same time perceived myself as someone whose emotions were being goaded. It was strange and fascinating, and while I doubt it was the most appropriate way to approach this, it was kind of the end result I've been looking for. I think I can delve deeper into this.

I also want to do more with my writing, and with coding. I need to come up with some next steps for these; alternately, I need to come up with a way to constantly check these off, like a list that refreshes itself every day.

But we have some time between here and there.

Thanks again to everyone who dropped by and supported me! I'll see y'all next time.

• Like 5

Hey there, guys! I wanted to give a big Thank You to everyone who followed along on this merry chase. It's all done now, and I was about to crack open the Battle Log again when the new challenge forums went up!

Phew. good.

I mean. Um.

I have a new thing. Check it out if you like. Or not. It's cool.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Yo, Kishi, I meant to ask, how's the computer stuff going?  Running okay for you?

Yeah, so far so good. She's held out really well on this OS. Pretty much the only thing I have left to do is to research, save up for, and buy a new board for the Toshiba and I should be good.

2 minutes ago, Kishi said:

Yeah, so far so good. She's held out really well on this OS. Pretty much the only thing I have left to do is to research, save up for, and buy a new board for the Toshiba and I should be good.

Sweet.  You gonna recover your data from that old disk, or let it go?  (Also, making backups onto your external disk every now and again?  Hey, I gotta ask.) :) 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

Sweet.  You gonna recover your data from that old disk, or let it go?  (Also, making backups onto your external disk every now and again?  Hey, I gotta ask.) :) 

Honestly? I think I'm just going to let it go. I haven't really lost anything I valued and I've been getting by just fine without it.

Though, then again, my inner writer wants me to get the old story files off there, which I guess means I have to go look that up.

And, I could stand to get in the habit of making backups. Yup.

All right, sensei. I suppose it's time to begin the next phase of my training?

9 minutes ago, Kishi said:

Honestly? I think I'm just going to let it go. I haven't really lost anything I valued and I've been getting by just fine without it.

Though, then again, my inner writer wants me to get the old story files off there, which I guess means I have to go look that up.

And, I could stand to get in the habit of making backups. Yup.

All right, sensei. I suppose it's time to begin the next phase of my training?

If you can let it go without missing it, no harm done.  If you have story files you want, it's an option.  You've got the external drive and the live USB stick, so you've got all the tools.

Easiest way to do backups on Linux is an app called Back In Time, which I probably had you install already.  (If not, you know where to get it.  Pop open that software center.) :)  Just for reference, here's the actual website, and a Lifehacker overview.  Basically, you need to tell it three things: where to save the backup (somewhere on your external drive, I'd make a folder called "Backups"), what folders to back up (do all of /home/your-username), and how often to do it (either "manual" or "whenever I plug in the drive").  The first time you do it, it'll take a long time, depending how much data you have.  Maybe leave it running overnight.  (I have a lot of data.  I always unplug the drive too soon, so I never got my good first snapshot.  I haven't done a real test of it yet.)  After that, it should be pretty quick, so "whenever I plug in the drive" is probably fine.  Then all you have to do is plug the drive in occasionally, and it'll automatically detect it and start backing up.  It does fancy Time Machine style backups that Lifehacker will tell you about.  Basically, set it up, let it run overnight, then later on we should just make sure your backup is good.

• Like 2

On 3/29/2016 at 0:56 AM, Kishi said:

Hey there, guys! I wanted to give a big Thank You to everyone who followed along on this merry chase. It's all done now, and I was about to crack open the Battle Log again when the new challenge forums went up!

Phew. good.

I mean. Um.

I have a new thing. Check it out if you like. Or not. It's cool.

Of course I'm following, you Silly goose!!!

• Like 1