Hey yo!

I'm new around here and looking for a little support in the trying-something-new-and-potentially-dangerous realm  :onthego:

About me: I'm a petite mid thirties girl (and Minecraft freak), and have spent the past 4 months loosing about 20 lbs. When I started I was doing HIIT workouts 3x a week, but that only lasted about 6 weeks before I had to put it on hold due to an unrelated injury. 

Fortunately, eating clean and walking was enough to keep the weight loss going through the holidays, but I'm all healed up now and doing basic, (mostly) body weight circuits at home regularly. (Some KBs, some hand weights & bands.)

I'm pretty close to my goal weight, maybe 5 more lbs to go, and am interested in getting started at a gym for heavy lifting to tighten up. 

As much as I don't want to admit it to myself, I'm intimidated by the weight room. I've been doing my research here and all over, but I've never done any lifting and don't really know what I'm looking at. I'm also new to my area and don't know anyone I can buddy up with to make the whole thing seem less scary.

I don't want to hurt myself, but I'm ready to take things to a new level (and maybe make some new gym friends...?)

Has anyone had this experience? Any advise for a weight room noob? I have a gym in mind where I dig the atmosphere, but haven't committed yet.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated! ~Cheers!

(edited for typos!)

Hey Meridith,

Congrats on the weight loss! 20 lbs in 4 months is really awesome and you should feel proud!

I'm also digging your desire to keep progressing. Weight training is a great next step that will give you more diversity in your fitness and help you reach other goals.

Believe me when I say everyone is nervous when they first start in the gym... and I mean EVERYONE!!! Even those 300 lbs juice monkeys started off on day one as skinny or overwieght kids fretting over anyone who looked their way. Point is, everyone starts off the same.

My advice for getting started in a gym if you've never lifted weights before and don't have an experienced friend to get you started is to do one of two things. Best way to get started is to cough up the few bucks and pay for some one on one training with a trainer. The gym you're looking at will definitely have some, and they'll be able to better assess your goals, instruct you on proper techniques and equipment use, and provide you with an idea of where to start (especially good if you have no clue). If you're tight for cash or don't like this option, the other best way is to start SIMPLE. You can youtube proper technique, but start off with the big compound free weight exercises. These include squats (all time best exercise), barbell/dumbell presses, and deadlifts. Avoid isolation machines/exercises when starting out. Yes, they're much easier to do, but you will not achieve the same effect as the big exercises when starting off.

If you need a hand with some start up routines, let me know. But I still recommend a trainer if you can afford it to get you situated and familiar with your gym and weight training. I also recommend music, or motivational speeches, or something that helps you focus to listen to when you're at the gym. You'll find that it helps you ignore everything else around you and keeps your mind on your workout.

Best of luck, and let me know if you need anymore help!

JH

Oh, I'll take all the help I can get! ;)

Thanks so much for the reply and encouragement!! I know I can't be alone in this kind of apprehension.

Right now I'm looking at the two gyms closest to me - one is a big glossy compound with zen like yoga studios and saunas and stuff. Might be pricey, but I'm kinda in the sticks, so maybe not. I think they offer a few complimentary training sessions when you join, so that's definitely appealing!

The other is a bare bones Gold's that's probably a few bucks cheaper a month, but full of the guys I'm kinda scared of haha. I'm not sure if they offer free intro sessions, but I'm sure they have trainers for hire, no?

I'm tempted to see if I can get some trial passes for both to feel them out. I think the locally owned one has a women's only section which could be cool, but I'm not sure how well stocked the weights would be there, maybe I'm just jumping to unfair conclusions that it's wall to wall ellipticals and stuff. I guess I just have to go and see.

(No worries about all those isolation machines - just the sight of them makes clouds of question marks float around my head!! Not gonna touch that for a good while.)

I have appointments with my physical therapist tomorrow, and then the orthopedist on Thursday to get a green light to get started lifting. If all goes well, and since I've typed it out loud, I'm officially accountable! Hopefully by this time next week I'll have tried them both out!

(Ugh... now I have to come up with what I'll do when I'm there...)

If you need a hand with some start up routines, let me know. But I still recommend a trainer if you can afford it to get you situated and familiar with your gym and weight training. I also recommend music, or motivational speeches, or something that helps you focus to listen to when you're at the gym. You'll find that it helps you ignore everything else around you and keeps your mind on your workout.

Best of luck, and let me know if you need anymore help!

JH

...Or perhaps I'll bug you for more advise on a start up! ;) 

• Like 1

No problem!

So assuming you're given the green light (and if not, no worries, start when you're good. keep in mind though, activity helps the body heal!) I wouldn't even start with a workout! Go to both gyms. Tell the receptionist that you're interested in possibly becoming a member and that you would like a free trial or at least a chance to take a look around. I do that everytime I go somewhere new. Sometimes its just to score a free workout (#lifehack) sometimes its just to check things out, but either way you get an opportunity to see what kind of gym it is. And bring your workout gear. Actually check out the change rooms and get ready as if you are going for a workout! Usually changing rooms are on the back wall and you have to walk through the bulk of the gym to get there, giving you plenty of time to scope things out. That may be enough there for you to determine it is/is not the place for you!

Once you're dressed to lift, walk around and check out the gear they have. Is there a women's only section (if that's what you want)? Does it only have machines or is that a good set of dumbells and some barbell racks? Is there a crossfit section or cardio room? Look out for the things your interested in and how much is actually there. I was just using a gym in California where I got a free month membership that had only 1 squat rack! And there was always a meat head doing curls! Waste...

Anyways, if you see something you like, try it out. You don't have to kill yourself but head over to a squat rack and do a set of 6 reps with just the bar. Feel good? Try again. Or move along to other stuff. Point is you want to get a feel for the gym. If you're unhappy with something, identify first if its actually from the gym you're in or one of your own inhibitions. If its the former, see ya! If its the latter, try to push on, but that too may be enough to try something else. Just remember, discomfort leads to progress.

Anyways, make that your first "workout". Call it "Gym Workout 1: Reconnaissance". Go to both gyms either on the same day or different days and see which one you like better. Figure out why you liked that particular gym more, and if the reasons are credible, that the one for you. Price, location, hours, busyness, equipment and comfort level are all good criteria to use. See if they'll throw in added incentives like free training sessions or classes or anything. Never hurts to try and adds a little weight to your decision possibly.

If you can do me one favour, all I ask is you don't go there, take a 5 minute walk around and call it quits. Get the full experience, try out equipment, and don't worry about being perfect. You can work on the rest once you've found your new habitat for change!

And ofcourse, I will keep helping you along should you want it!

Let me know how it goes.

JH

I'm in. This is going to happen. This IS going to happen! 

I'm pretty confident I'll get my green light. A few weeks ago I got the go ahead to do some circuits and here's my routine from yesterday. Is lifting something I do separately from circuits? Or incorporate with?

Warmup

-dynamic stretching

-job in place

3 Rounds

30 Jumping Jacks

20 squats (10 lbs kb goblets on last round)

10 snatches (10 lb kb on each side)

20 Lunges

15 two arm swings (10 lb kb)

15 pushups (modified on knees)

PT

20 Rows (10 lbs band)

20 Rotational things (don't know the name lol 10 lbs band)

That's great!

So a good approach to start off with is to do strength training on one day, circuit training on the next. I wouldn't do any more than 3 of each, each week, giving you at least one day of rest in a week cycle. If that's too much to start off with (not sure what your frequency is right now with circuits), do a 3 day split, Day 1: Strength, Day 2: Circuit, Day 3: Active Rest. Active rest just means you're not a couch potato and you go for a walk or cycle or whatever keeps you moving, but isn't high impact or requiring much stress on your body.

Muscles require 48-72 hrs to repair. In this time you need rest and plenty of nutrients. That's why unless your training specific muscle groups, you don't want to be doing back to back gym sessions for strength training. For someone starting off, I wouldn't get into specific muscle groups.

Based on your circuit routine, it sounds like you have a good start state to begin lifting weights. Start small! You want to make sure your form is perfect before you go heavy, so you don't cause injuries. Also, starting off too heavy can be a deterrent... for some reason I used to always re-start my fitness with heavy squats, which lead to so much pain the next day in my legs I couldn't move! Sometimes we learn slow.... lol

I'll start prepping a basic routine for you to begin with. Post back about your gym experiences and anything else you need to know!

JH

So a good approach to start off with is to do strength training on one day, circuit training on the next. I wouldn't do any more than 3 of each, each week, giving you at least one day of rest in a week cycle. If that's too much to start off with (not sure what your frequency is right now with circuits), do a 3 day split, Day 1: Strength, Day 2: Circuit, Day 3: Active Rest. Active rest just means you're not a couch potato and you go for a walk or cycle or whatever keeps you moving, but isn't high impact or requiring much stress on your body.

Oh! So does that mean, er, I'm not sure how to ask this correctly... like, are the body weight circuits not strength training? I was kind of under the impression that if I did something like squats one day, I shouldn't do them the following day in order to rest... but if there's a lot of weight on one day and not the next it's okay? I'm currently doing variations of this type of circuit 3X a week. (Also martial arts, but I don't really count that as part of my fitness routine.)

Sorry! I can see why that would be confusing!

So ideally you'll want to avoid doing back to back exercises if you do a strength/circuit cycle. In circuit training, as I'm sure you've found, you achieve a high intensity through a higher volume of reps and relatively shorter rest period so you activate as many muscles in the workout to exhaustion, conditioning them to be more reactive the next time. In the case of stength training, you're providing higher resistance in a lower rep range so you're forcing the muscles to break down and repair, bigger and stronger (adapting to the resistance) while you rest. If you do weighted squats on strength training day, then the next day do bodywight squats in a circuit, you're not giving that mucle group enough time recover and you won't see the same results.

I would start with one of these variations:

Day 1: Circuit

Day 2: Rest

Day 3: Strength

Day 4: Rest

Day 5: Circuit

Day 6/7: Rest

*Eases into strength training and keeps your goal focused on weight loss.

Day 1: Strength

Day 2: Rest

Day 3: Circuit

Day 4: Rest

Day 5: Strength

Day 6/7: Rest

*More focus on strength training, but you may not notice as much weight loss. In fact, muscle weighs more than fat, so you may notice an increase in weight.

Day1: Strength

Day 2: Circuit

Day 3: Rest

Day 4: Strength

Day 5: Circuit

Day6/7: Rest

*Maintains both strength training and your circuit workout. May be hard to start with as your muscles will be already fatigued on circuit days.

So yea, even if you do different exercises on back to back strength/circuits you're going to get some overlap in muscle recruitment. Is there specific exercises you'd like to work on for strength training? Or specific goals you'd like to achieve? Not necessary when you're starting out, but if you do we can gear your routine to those more specific goals.

Let me know which schedule would be more suited to your needs. If none of them are, no problem! You work around what's best for you!

JH

Well, I've still got a few pounds to loose, and in the interest in building up strength and skill I guess it makes sense to start from the top and work my way down. Does that make sense?

Todays PT day! Talking to my fellow about lifting this afternoon.  :onthego:

Yes!  Yes!  Ladies in the weight room!! ^____________^

I was in your spot almost exactly a year ago - I had joined a gym because I fell in love with my dumbbell workouts at home, and wanted more.  It can definitely be intimidating the first few times but the things that helped me were:

- Go in with a plan.  For the first few months I carried a notebook with me where I had laid out the lifts I was going to do the night before, and recorded my weight/reps as I did them.  I've since moved on to recording on my phone between sets but I still set up my routine the night before so I don't wander in there all ??? and feel like I look like a space cadet...

- It might make you feel better to practice the lifting motions on your own at home first!  Like you I did TONS of research, watched loads of videos, and knowing what I was supposed to be doing definitely helped me feel not like a total noob.

- Music.  Create an awesome workout playlist, pop some headphones in, and just close out the outside world.  A lot of people are social exercisers but I am not, so this works to my benefit. Nothing helps me tune out all the bros like some power tunes.

GOOD LUCK and definitely report back with your progress!!  Lifting is awesome! :D

• Like 2

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

I was in your spot almost exactly a year ago - I had joined a gym because I fell in love with my dumbbell workouts at home, and wanted more.  It can definitely be intimidating the first few times but the things that helped me were:

- Go in with a plan.  For the first few months I carried a notebook with me where I had laid out the lifts I was going to do the night before, and recorded my weight/reps as I did them.  I've since moved on to recording on my phone between sets but I still set up my routine the night before so I don't wander in there all ??? and feel like I look like a space cadet...

Awesome advice Shaarawy! I have less experience with women weight lifting. From your own experience, do you have recommendations on which exercises Meredith should start with to give her a taste, but not turn her off it?

JH

• Like 1

If you head over to the Warrior's guild, you'll find a number of women who rock the gym and would be awesome to talk to for advice on getting into the gym.  Special Sundae is the most active (and the strongest).

• Like 2

Nate the Strong

Warforged Paladin

Level 8 | STR-33 | DEX-11 | STA-18 | CON-14 | WIS-17 | CHA-14

535/365/610:1510

243/243/166/277:685

'He who conquers himself is mightier than he who conquers a city.'
'Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle;'

Awesome advice Shaarawy! I have less experience with women weight lifting. From your own experience, do you have recommendations on which exercises Meredith should start with to give her a taste, but not turn her off it?

JH

I started with dumbbells and eventually worked my way up to compound lifts after lots of practicing form to avoid hurting myself... I was also a mega weakling so I wanted to gain some basic strength first before jumping into the pool head first.  I currently follow a routine of compound lifts and auxiliary dumbbell work because I like them both equally, and it works for me. ^^  IMO it's personal and takes trial and error to find out what you like.

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

Way to go on the 20 pounds Meredith!

Here's my story (yes there is an answer to your gym question).  :-)

I was obesely overweight and had changed the way I ate and started walking which turned into running.  Once I started losing I knew I needed more, I didn't want to just be skinny.  I wanted some meat on my bones.  At the time there was only one gym in my neighborhood, it was a musclehead hangout.  I was intimidated.  Walked in and left once.  I went in and stuck around, I talked to the owner who seemed to be a decent fella.  So I sign up, by the month in case I don't like it.  First couple of times there I am completely intimidated.  Here I am a chubby 30 something guy in a room of guys and gals who look like they should be in fitness magazines.  Didn't take long before they came over and struck up conversation with me.  What???  I know.  After I had been there a while and started lifting more weight I had people come over and spot me.  It was awesome!  Shortly after I started going to a YMCA, you would think that would be the friendly place.  Not in my experience.  It isn't that people at the Y are rude, but I do miss the comradery from the old place.

Anyhow!  Good luck in your search, hope you find the place that is right for you.

• Like 1

- It might make you feel better to practice the lifting motions on your own at home first!  Like you I did TONS of research, watched loads of videos, and knowing what I was supposed to be doing definitely helped me feel not like a total noob.

- Music.  Create an awesome workout playlist, pop some headphones in, and just close out the outside world.  A lot of people are social exercisers but I am not, so this works to my benefit. Nothing helps me tune out all the bros like some power tunes.

GOOD LUCK and definitely report back with your progress!!  Lifting is awesome! :D

HA! I bought two little flip top notebooks right after I left PT! (Got a wary green/yellow-ish light. Shopping begins!)

I typically use a white board for my circuits at home, so I'm all in agreement with having something ready pre-game. I wonder if there's an app that lets you organize and save your workouts? Maybe have an interval timer option... We should crowd fund that if there isn't ;)

I have a stick ball bat for practice, and definitely trying to do my homework. I'm not afraid of the work at all, just... the mansplainers. It's a weird line to walk, I'm social, and want to make new friends (I moved here recently... don't know a lot of people), and yeah, I'd even like some help. But just because some gorilla tells me my form is off, how can I trust just anyone? Maybe his form is off?

So yeah, research research research. I have no idea what compound lifts are... lol

Thanks for the tips!!!

Way to go on the 20 pounds Meredith!

Here's my story (yes there is an answer to your gym question).  :-)

I was obesely overweight and had changed the way I ate and started walking which turned into running.  Once I started losing I knew I needed more, I didn't want to just be skinny.  I wanted some meat on my bones.  At the time there was only one gym in my neighborhood, it was a musclehead hangout.  I was intimidated.  Walked in and left once.  I went in and stuck around, I talked to the owner who seemed to be a decent fella.  So I sign up, by the month in case I don't like it.  First couple of times there I am completely intimidated.  Here I am a chubby 30 something guy in a room of guys and gals who look like they should be in fitness magazines.  Didn't take long before they came over and struck up conversation with me.  What???  I know.  After I had been there a while and started lifting more weight I had people come over and spot me.  It was awesome!  Shortly after I started going to a YMCA, you would think that would be the friendly place.  Not in my experience.  It isn't that people at the Y are rude, but I do miss the comradery from the old place.

Anyhow!  Good luck in your search, hope you find the place that is right for you.

You know, there really is something comforting about reading all these similar accounts. I mean, in theory, I know everyone is a little intimidated when they first start... but the more personal stories I hear, the more it calms me!

I'm into meeting new people, just so long as it's not a weird meat market kinda place. We'll see! There are only a couple places near me, so I'm just gonna get trial passes and see what they're like!

Thanks for sharing your story and your kind words!!

• Like 1

If you head over to the Warrior's guild, you'll find a number of women who rock the gym and would be awesome to talk to for advice on getting into the gym.  Special Sundae is the most active (and the strongest).

Awesome! Thanks, I'll check that out! Is it listed as the Powerlifting etc thread?

So yeah, research research research. I have no idea what compound lifts are... lol

Compound lifts are multi-muscle exercises, like squats, deadlifts, presses, etc. where you have to recruit multiple muscle groups to complete the exercise. 

If you're worried about form, youtube a particular exercise you're interested in. Demo it in the mirror at home, or when you get to the gym try it there. That's actually what the mirrors are there for, assist you in keeping good form... not just to check out the GUN SHOW!  :playful:

I'll take a look through those threads NatetheStrong suggested (thanks Nate!) and get back to you tomorrow. Anything in particular you're interested in though?

JH

• Like 1

Compound lifts are multi-muscle exercises, like squats, deadlifts, presses, etc. where you have to recruit multiple muscle groups to complete the exercise. 

If you're worried about form, youtube a particular exercise you're interested in. Demo it in the mirror at home, or when you get to the gym try it there. That's actually what the mirrors are there for, assist you in keeping good form... not just to check out the GUN SHOW!  :playful:

I'll take a look through those threads NatetheStrong suggested (thanks Nate!) and get back to you tomorrow. Anything in particular you're interested in though?

JH

I feel comfortable with squats and lunges and stuff like that, so that's cool. (Currently use KBs and light hand weights for those.)

I'm thinking about deadlifts and presses, which I don't really have experience with. (Over head presses probably...) Stuff more for the back and trunk than the chest and arms... I like the idea of full body, seems efficient! Though I'm open to learn about targeting.

I saw the - check your form thread, think I'll have to get some help and make a few videos. I kind of shudder at the idea, but I'm tempted to put out a before picture too!

• Like 1

JH

I feel comfortable with squats and lunges and stuff like that, so that's cool. (Currently use KBs and light hand weights for those.)

I'm thinking about deadlifts and presses, which I don't really have experience with. (Over head presses probably...) I like the idea of more full body, seems efficient! Though I'm open to learn about targeting.

I saw the - check your form thread, so think I'll have to get some help and make a few videos. I kind of shudder at the idea, but I'm tempted to put out a before picture too!

Awesome! Thanks, I'll check that out! Is it listed as the Powerlifting etc thread?

4 Week Challenges->Current challenges->Warriors

Even if you're not doing a 4 week challenge, you're welcome to come by and talk and ask questions.

Nate the Strong

Warforged Paladin

Level 8 | STR-33 | DEX-11 | STA-18 | CON-14 | WIS-17 | CHA-14

535/365/610:1510

243/243/166/277:685

'He who conquers himself is mightier than he who conquers a city.'
'Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle;'

4 Week Challenges->Current challenges->Warriors

Even if you're not doing a 4 week challenge, you're welcome to come by and talk and ask questions.

*waves*

I'm always happy to try to help.

It's funny. The most muscle-head-ish type gyms are often the friendliest. Everyone is there for the same purpose (to lift things) so there's a thread of commonality that you don't necessarily have in a mainstream gym.

On form checks, seeing video of myself used to be my worst nightmare. I hated it. I still don't like seeing myself looking my worst, but I see how much it helps me to get better when I can see objectively where my form is good and bad rather than trying to remember what I looked like in that moment.

• Like 2

Hey Mer!

Looked into a lot of threads on women's lifting, and I noticed a recurring theme in most of them. Basically, when you've trialed a few things at the gym (to get situated), you'll figure out which exercises work for you and which you're really not interested in! So going back to your task of recce-ing the gyms, if you try some exercises while you're there and you like them, we'll start with that. If you still have no idea, another common occurence in those threads was StrongLifts (http://stronglifts.com/). Check it out; may be exactly what you're after to begin with. Its simple (3 exercises!), explains each exercise, the routine, and even comes with the app you were after (well maybe not entirely...)!

If that doesn't interest you, I have a back up plan as well! lol

JH