• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RisenPhoenix

RisenPhoenix Does His Three Rs

So, this is a bit of a lame challenge again.  These short turn around times plus the fact that I'm slowly moving into much longer-term goals means that I really don't fit well into 4 week challenges.  Probably a liklihood of me just hunkering down in my Battle log soon, unless some major changes happen to the challenge set ups.  But then I feel like I can hunker down more easily into people's threads that way.  We shall see.  I'm just rambling.

The challenge here is based on the Three R's. Reading, 'Riting, and 'Rithmatic. Rest, Refeed, and Randori.

tumblr_mrxr4mctjQ1qmb7u4o3_400.gif

Rest:  I need to instate my night time routine.  Goal is to get 8-9 hours of sleep each night (wow, I get/need a lot of sleep - new medication makes this kind of needed, though), and to be in bed for at least 30 minute prior to lights out reading/no tech.  Besides maybe a phone call with the girlfriend.  Those are allowed and encouraged.  If I can stay awake long enough.  Pretty simple

ShootingScale.gif

Refeed: So I've kinda been challenged Kyellan to race to sub-200 pound body weights.  The biggest thing, though, is my straight caloric deficits haven't been too effective the last few months.  That said, I found out about refeeds doing things besides refeuling glycogen, which seems worth investigating.  By which I mean I tried a two week stint and saw my weight drop pretty effectively with very little effort.  So I'm going to try and do that.

Goal here is a lower-carb diet, with a cheat jar for every junky food item I have at work.  Hopefully that helps drop my calories down to ~2100 calories per day.  Also once a week I'm going to do a refeed.  Goal is one day to spike calories to 2800-3000ish calories, with ~280 or 300 grams of carbs, and 170 grams or more in protein.  This, if past history is an indicator of future success, probably involves me eating a pint of ice cream in a single sitting.  Last two times I did that I had surprisingly good results, so don't fix what ain't broke.

Current weight: 206.6#.

Gwsk7ih.gif

Randori: Practice Randori once a week.

I need to work on a 3-person randori scheme for my eventual 1st kyu exam, that EVERYONE KEEPS ASKING ME WHEN IT WILL BE.  So my goal is one day a week grab 2-4 willing participants after class to work on randori movements slowly.  Only way I'm let off the hook for this one is if I can't get people to practice with.  In that case, I reserve the right to change that week into a straight up "Practice for 1st kyu" goal.

Another simple and straight forward challenge for me.  Something to spend my time on.  Things may change shortly, however, so I may have to alter things.

• Like 8

Three Rs = Ranking, Running, and Resting?

Pretty damn close.

Really the refeed is the biggest priority I have at the moment.

Oh, and my measurements:

16.25" neck

36.25" gut (at navel)

35.5" torso (1" above navel)

Technically the torso measurement is what I should have been using all this time to estimate bodyfat percentage.  But I've been using my navel as a guide point.  So I'm still calculating off of that to keep things consistent.

Lookin good man!  That's a really interesting food regimen.  I'm curious to see how it works! 

These short turn around times plus the fact that I'm slowly moving into much longer-term goals means that I really don't fit well into 4 week challenges.

I don't remember who (sarakingdom maybe?), but someone posted about just making all your Challenges 8 weeks instead of four.  That way you keep the long term goals, but can break it down into smaller chunks when necessary.  

I don't remember who (sarakingdom maybe?), but someone posted about just making all your Challenges 8 weeks instead of four.  That way you keep the long term goals, but can break it down into smaller chunks when necessary.  

Yea, that was Sara.

But my issue is that even at 8 weeks, I don't have goals that can be accomplished.  Everything I want to do at this point is pretty much only going to get solved by consistent, regular movement forward that I already do.  And, as Waldo said in his thread, "no need for goals around things that are routine."

Now and again I might think up something that I need the extra push/accountability on, but right now, most of my life is pretty solidly set.  The biggest thing I need to change is my job situation, and that isn't a good challenge topic.  It wasn't good at 6 weeks, I imagine it's terrible for 4 weeks.  Maybe when weather gets nicer and I decided to do trail running to get me ready for that Tough Mudder will I have a more challenge-appropriate goal.  But for now, it's just a bunch of meh goals I'm throwing together quickly, since I can't sit and think a bit more on the topic.

• Like 2

Cheer up, grumpy Phoenix.

First, your challenge is not lame, it's a lot of stuff to work on and they're big things.  Two, shut the fuck up and get to work.

• Like 3

Eh. Our challenges are like our weather - don't like it? Give it a bit.

Add a fourth R - refining. Because really, even if you have a routine, it doesn't necessarily follow that you have the best routine. And there is something to be said for optimizing that kind of thing. Though I may just be saying that because that's what I ended up doing. ^_^;

• Like 1

Cheer up, grumpy Phoenix.

First, your challenge is not lame, it's a lot of stuff to work on and they're big things.  Two, shut the fuck up and get to work.

I'm not grumpy!  At least right now I'm not.  I've been a rather pleasant-if-rushed mood today!  Actually, having distinct moods is a thing I forgot I can have during the work week!  Huzzah!

I mean, it's kinda lame for me.  I remember having to struggle for my earlier challenges.  This one feels... phoned in.  It's things to keep me accountable, rather than actually challenging.  Dunno.

As for two, I will shut up and get the fuck to work.

Eh. Our challenges are like our weather - don't like it? Give it a bit.

Add a fourth R - refining. Because really, even if you have a routine, it doesn't necessarily follow that you have the best routine. And there is something to be said for optimizing that kind of thing. Though I may just be saying that because that's what I ended up doing. ^_^;

True.  Though I've been listening to Welcome to Nightvale so much I was really expecting you to end that with a link to some music.

As for the Fourth R, true.  But I feel that's a longer-term endeavor, rather than a 4 week endeavor.  For the most part.  Initial tweaks, sure.  But refinement and optimization takes a while. But I feel like NF is partially about whatever works best for you.  So we can be both right. :P

So, end of day 1, and I'm settling my food today at ~2200 calories.  I owe three... or four.... dollars in my cheat jar.  Oatmeal cookie (which I ate before even making the challenge, but I'll count it), chocolate-dipped coconut patty (coworker went on vacation and brought these back), some plantain chips, and some roasted, salted fava beans.  Just a lot of calories I really didn't need.  Plus side is I'm still in deficit and my macros are solid, if a bit high on the carbs.  205c/55f/205p.  Could be much worse.

And in other, non-challenge news, I had another phone interview with Big Deal company.  This time with the two current team members.  Kind of a technical interview with a heavy personality check bend.  After talking with them both, I'd be very shocked if I didn't get an onsite interview.  Still unsure about their work week, since both talked about how intense it is working with the hiring manager, but neither did it sound terrible.  So I really think going on site would be the only way I can figure out those details, anyway. 

At least it's something positive to start out the week.

• Like 3

Hey, positive starts are good, man. Especially as regards the job; that's been a huge hurdle for the past few challenges. If you can get onsite, that'll be all the better.

So what are your plans for the cheat jar? New equipment? A donation to a cause that you hate? What's the deal?

So what are your plans for the cheat jar? New equipment? A donation to a cause that you hate? What's the deal?

You know, I haven't thought that far ahead....  Ideally a pint of ice cream.  You know, since I cheated so little there's like no cash in the jar.  That being said, if it's enough I'll probably get some workout gear.  Most of my workout stuff is still Fat RP clothes, and totally looks like a sail on me at this point.  So I should probably do something about that.

Got to bed last night around 10PM last night, and woke up this morning at 6:30.  Plus a few hits of my snooze button.  But I was kinda crappy last night and didn't get off technology until I realized it was late and I needed to go to bed.  Whoops.  Can't do that tonight, if only because I need to be up early for Stairs tomorrow.

• Like 1

Decent start there RP.   And man, I should get more sleep, but I have other things I want to do, and just not enough time to do them.

• Like 2

Decent start there RP.   And man, I should get more sleep, but I have other things I want to do, and just not enough time to do them.

A common problem faced by, well, everyone.  haha

onlikealderaan.jpg

So..............it's getting blow'd up?  :P 

• Like 1

So..............it's getting blow'd up?   :tongue:

Well, my choices seemed to be "On Like Alderaan" and "On Like Donkey Kong", so I picked the former. =)

• Like 2

I am totally with you on the Rest and Randori. We are doing a lot of randori at advanced class. At least two people are getting ready for shodan tests and three people are training for nidan. My open-hand randori is slowly getting better. Meaning it takes longer before I get mobbed.

An exercise to try: nage does not throw anyone. The idea is that you have to move so that people come for you and then you are not there. Lots of tenkan and irimi-tenkan. If you do it right, you can get two ukes to pile into each other as they both try to grab you. This exercise trains essential skills in keeping wide focus and moving your body.

And in other, non-challenge news, I had another phone interview with Big Deal company.  This time with the two current team members.  Kind of a technical interview with a heavy personality check bend.  After talking with them both, I'd be very shocked if I didn't get an onsite interview.  Still unsure about their work week, since both talked about how intense it is working with the hiring manager, but neither did it sound terrible.  So I really think going on site would be the only way I can figure out those details, anyway. 

Great news! I hope you get the interview and the new job!

I don't think anyone needs to worry about having challenge goals that can be completed in four weeks. We are here to support each other in our journeys. No one actually cares if someone else hits a lifting goal at 40 pounds or 340 pounds. We cheer the PRs of any size. I'm glad you are here so we can geek out about aikido.

• Like 1

Hey guuuuurl!  Thanks!

And yes, you should get more sleep.  It is amazing.  I'm currently jealous of the Expanse novel I'm reading.  They have a 30 hour day.  It's claimed it's enough to "Do a day's work, get drunk, and then get a full night's rest before waking up with no hang over." 

We need 30 hour days.

onlikealderaan.jpg

So..............it's getting blow'd up?   :tongue:

Won't lie, my brain immediately went with "Explosive."

I am totally with you on the Rest and Randori. We are doing a lot of randori at advanced class. At least two people are getting ready for shodan tests and three people are training for nidan. My open-hand randori is slowly getting better. Meaning it takes longer before I get mobbed.

An exercise to try: nage does not throw anyone. The idea is that you have to move so that people come for you and then you are not there. Lots of tenkan and irimi-tenkan. If you do it right, you can get two ukes to pile into each other as they both try to grab you. This exercise trains essential skills in keeping wide focus and moving your body.

Great news! I hope you get the interview and the new job!

I don't think anyone needs to worry about having challenge goals that can be completed in four weeks. We are here to support each other in our journeys. No one actually cares if someone else hits a lifting goal at 40 pounds or 340 pounds. We cheer the PRs of any size. I'm glad you are here so we can geek out about aikido.

Oooo, I'll try that practice tonight!  I plan on having a few hours on the mat, so it'll be good!

Also, officially have an onsite interview.  And they want references up front.  Which means if they really like me, it might be a matter of a fast-moving offer.  Will probably give my current place 3 weeks notice (because they are seriously screwed if I just up and left), and then take a few weeks off.  Because seriously.  Need vacation.

• Like 5

Best wishes and good vibes for the interview! I sincerely hope it gets you what you're looking for... you have GOT to get out of where you're at.

• Like 2

Officially have an interview for next Thursday.  And already took a half day at work to accommodate it.  Pretty sure my boss knows it's for an interview.  Meh.  Given all the crap that's gone down at this job, he won't be too shocked when I leave.

Got to bed last night at 9:45ish and woke up at 6:30ish.  I use ish, because I use my alarm clock, and it's kiiiiinda 15 minutes fast.  So yes.  I went to bed at 9:30 last night.  I also kept hitting my snooze button.

Oddly, my body has been waking me up at 2:30AM the last few nights.  And weirder, I have been waking up fairly alert.  Which is annoying, because it means I can't fall right back to sleep.  Dumb.

Also weighed myself this morning.  206.2#, which is just shy of half a pound lighter than Monday, and a gut-at-navel measurement of 35.8" (holy crap!).  Which is good, because I really ate crappy yesterday - 2550 calories, with about 350 calories being straight up bread.  Shoved directly into my mouth.  Tasty, but I shouldn't have.  At least I did Stairs yesterday, which means that I burned a good chunk of energy.  I'm toying with the idea of not refeeding this week, simply because my food choices haven't been stellar.  But I'll do some number crunching and see how things go.  If I averaged sub-200 net grams of carbs I'll refeed.  If not, I'll hold off. (Yea, MDA says if you have more than 150 grams it's in the "weight gain" zone.  I kinda take that with a grain of salt, seeing as how often I'm active.)

Goal is to work on Randori on Saturday after aikido.

Speaking of aikido, I had an enjoyable class last night.  A friend who I haven't seen in a few weeks was in class.  Turns out he's been going only Wednesday and Thursdays, and while I don't go Thursdays normally, I've been skipping the last few Wednesdays for recovery reasons.  But I always like working with him, so it's fun.  He started a little after me, and actually tested for 2nd kyu before me, but constantly tells me my aikido is better.  It probably is.  That said, he's much better at keeping his hands in his center, since he also does iaido.  We all have our strengths, right?  And on that line, I got praised by Sempai (and tacitly the instructor who teaches before him) for being a person who resists appropriately for people.  If I don't feel things I (usually) won't move.  I won't be a jerk about it, but I want people to be better.  And so I got a call out during a conversation he was having with people about how I make sure people will do things correctly.  It was nice to get a bit of attention that way, and on something I don't think too much about doing normally.

Today is my rest day.  Tomorrow I'm thinking I'll try lifting, unless my hip flexor is being extra stupid.  And then, huzzah, the weekend!

I like weekends.

• Like 5

Officially have an interview for next Thursday.  And already took a half day at work to accommodate it.  Pretty sure my boss knows it's for an interview.  Meh.  Given all the crap that's gone down at this job, he won't be too shocked when I leave.

Woot!!  I'm sure you'll knock it outta the park! 

• Like 1