RisenPhoenix Does His Three Rs

RisenPhoenix

My sensei says that the #1 secret of the samurai is "don't get hit". This is what we train in martial arts.

This seems like good advice, especially when one thinks about just how fast and how sharp those katanas can be... =)

• Like 2

"You are what you do. Choose again, and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

Challenges

109 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 |

This seems like good advice, especially when one thinks about just how fast and how sharp those katanas can be... =)

Yup.  As much as we nerds like D&D and such, we can't take a sword to the face and keep fighting like our characters can.  :(  

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Re: Last Page

CcESW7GWoAA0cIl.jpg

Jeals of sushi. I want all the sushi also.

• Like 4

Raptron, alot assassin

6564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Landing a real hit (in a training situation) on someone you don't know is not a great idea.  My attitude towards everyone coming in from another school or style is "treat them like a white belt until you really know better from experience".  Because you just don't know.

My attitude is also that you have a responsibility to disclose injury risks, certainly to the class leaders, and usually to each training partner, if you want them to watch out for you.  Most aikidoka will take care of you like it's their job if you disclose anything.  They will make sure your head never hits a fucking thing, if you tell them you have a history of concussion, not even the floor.  Your head will go down with the nage's hand under it like you're a white belt when you fall, if you can't risk hitting your head.  (Or, at least, to the best of their ability.  Higher belts will do this better than lower belts.)

Teachers will adapt your training to your disability.  Probably that adaptation will not be "I don't do defensive aikido", unless you also can't do defensive aikido.  But the real irony is, she's refusing to learn the one thing that would make her better able to safely handle her disability in daily life and continue doing the concussion-risk activities she enjoys.  Because "don't get hit" seems like a pretty important skill for someone who's prone to concussions.  And if you tell some damn people, they will make sure that you don't get hit in the process of learning that.

• Like 5

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

I'm currently staring at my Annual Self Review form.  There's a question, asking what the positives of my role are and how I would like to see them enhanced.  I'm working very hard to not write "Money" and "A Lot more of it" as the answer.  One, because it's unprofessional.  Two, because I'm pretty sure my boss is well aware of my feelings.  Hell, our second director gave her notice yesterday, mainly because she doesn't want to deal with the BS of the home office.  I joked (semi joked) they should shut down the site so everyone gets 6 months of vacation.  My boss chuckled and replied "Yea, but then we all would be competing for jobs."  To which I retorted "Speak for yourself.  I'm the only microbiologist here."  And he blinked, and conceded the point.

*ahem*

Got to bed last night at 10:15, awoke at 6:30.  Again, waking up at 3:30AM.  Ugh.  Otherwise a decent rest.  Was coding/doing the course work a bit before bed, but still managed to shut off the computer 30 minutes before bed.  Besides a text conversation with the girlfriend, all other tech was off as I was reading a book in bed.  Neck is acting up, so I think I slept on it wrong.  A heating pad is working wonders, though, so there's a small mercy.

I keep grazing on junk at work, though.  I owe easily another 3-4 bucks into my cheat jar.  And at the moment, I'm thinking I won't do a refeed this week.  My calories are a bit too high for my liking, unless someone out there can give me a decent reason as to why I should refeed this week.  I just feel blarg over all.  The sore and gimpy part probably doesn't help.

Anyway, went to aikido last night and had a pretty good time, though I was exhausted by the end of it.  I ended up working with a 5th dan who... well, he is a tough partner.  Not entirely in a bad way.  His ukemi is questionable (due to age and mobility, so understandable), but you really need to be on point with your own ukemi, because he realllllly likes to change techniques from what is shown.  So one minute you're being thrown in the demoed kotegaeshi, the next suddenly you're in an iriminage.  So you need to be alive defensively, and also as nage he really pushes you to move correctly.  Unfortunately, he's the type who's been doing it for so long that he doesn't need to think as much about things.  The proverbial tenured professor wondering why his freshman class is failing Quantum Mechanics 12, when it's just so simple.  I make due, but it was a brain rending class for me.  I collapsed pretty hard afterwards.

So that's things on my end.  Hope everyone else is having a less blarg start to the week.

• Like 2

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Tries to be Normal

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Geez, what an eventful few days it's been for you! Can't believe how idiotic that student is being, and I hope it manages to right itself for you. I'm sure your sensei will deal wisely in this matter.

I don't recall hearing much lately about how things are going with the job hunt. Better? Things moving at all there?

• Like 1

Geez, what an eventful few days it's been for you! Can't believe how idiotic that student is being, and I hope it manages to right itself for you. I'm sure your sensei will deal wisely in this matter.

I don't recall hearing much lately about how things are going with the job hunt. Better? Things moving at all there?

It's been interesting for sure....  Turns out that student emailed the instructor last night (I assume Sensei as well), and it was essentially a 2 and a half page email saying how severe her medical history was and how she's been out of work for a week because of it.  The instructor last night said that student has been training in aikido for years, and because of the past history has always worried the teachers.  And apparently the woman thought everyone knew her history, so somehow that meant she didn't have to disclose it.  You know, at a dojo you haven't ever trained regularly at.  Sigh.  Apparently she stops just short of blaming Sempai, but it is sparking a bit of a "pay attention to uke, uke pay attention to nage" talk.  Again, I kinda hold the woman more responsible the more I hear her talk....  But I'm also aware I'm tainted in the "protect my people" part.  We shall see if things play out further.

I gots a job interview tomorrow, and I decided to take the entire day off instead of the half day I was initially planning on.  Just less stressful for me, especially if things run over time.  According to the recruiter, I'm the only person in the running for this role.  I apparently impressed the token hard-to-impress guy with my resume and phone interview, so the recruiter said it's pretty much mine to lose at this point.  No pressure or anything.

Really need to get out of this job.  Things are falling apart around here and I wouldn't be shocked if the home office tries to close the site.  Never mind that the group I'm in alone brought in more money than our home office sister group... which had almost triple the staff.  The office politics are freaking terrible, and my boss doesn't exactly help matters with his combative attitude towards them, either.  Add in an entire month-worth of the same experiment for the foreseeable future, and I'm seriously considering giving notice for the end of the month regardless on how this interview works out.

• Like 2

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

YAYAYAY. Good luck tomorrow! It was nice see your face at the stadium this am! :D

• Like 3

Raptron, alot assassin

6564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

The instructor last night said that student has been training in aikido for years, and because of the past history has always worried the teachers.  And apparently the woman thought everyone knew her history, so somehow that meant she didn't have to disclose it.  You know, at a dojo you haven't ever trained regularly at.

I gots a job interview tomorrow, and I decided to take the entire day off instead of the half day I was initially planning on.  Just less stressful for me, especially if things run over time.  According to the recruiter, I'm the only person in the running for this role.  I apparently impressed the token hard-to-impress guy with my resume and phone interview, so the recruiter said it's pretty much mine to lose at this point.  No pressure or anything.

Really need to get out of this job.  Things are falling apart around here and I wouldn't be shocked if the home office tries to close the site.  Never mind that the group I'm in alone brought in more money than our home office sister group... which had almost triple the staff.  The office politics are freaking terrible, and my boss doesn't exactly help matters with his combative attitude towards them, either.  Add in an entire month-worth of the same experiment for the foreseeable future, and I'm seriously considering giving notice for the end of the month regardless on how this interview works out.

So was she thinking that the instructor was going to announce her medical history to the class? Or that everyone would know through telepathy?

The recent practice in our dojo is to put red tape on a body part that is injured. This is a visual reminder to your partners to be careful. I find it especially helpful when my partner is injured on one side. I have a hard enough time keeping track of my own right and left, much less my uke's right and left. Having a red X on her shoulder makes it obvious which side needs special care.

Good strategy to take the whole day off. You can keep a positive attitude because you don't need to go to work, regardless of the interview questions. They will think you are the most cheerful guy they've ever met. :D

Hold out as long as you can before you give notice. The best case is that they decide to close your location right before you get an offer from the interview. Then you can take the severance package and start working the new job. Double pay!

• Like 5

Level 53  Viking paladin

My current challenge    Battle log 

I am in love with the red tape idea!  

I really get that, sometimes, the desire to find *some way* to participate is very strong.  The red tape makes it much simpler for everybody to make their own best decisions, and to watch out for others in the group without having to devote a lot of RAM to things invisible.  I'm going to institute that when I return to TKD.  

• Like 2

Thanks, guys and gals!  I'm liking my slow morning.  Normally I'd be at work right now, but I'm currently just sitting and sipping coffee and doing some more light prep for today.  I'm not too nervous, so that's good.  Much less likely to stumble about than if I was totally freaking out.  Helps I'm actually interested in the company, rather than, I dunno, finding a way to pay my bills.  Interestingly, the last time I felt this good was when I was interviewing with my last company, who's research interests made me consider going back to school for a PhD.  This is a similar feeling, so it feels good to have that sense again.  Even if I refuse to go back to grad school EVER AGAIN.

And yea, really glad I took the whole day off.  Turns out the recruiter is in the area today, so we're going to meet up and debrief in person.  It'll be nice, since I've been speaking with the guy for months now and haven't actually met him face to face.  No matter how this job interview turns out, I at least owe the man a coffee for doing his job damn well.

Re: Self Protection

Red tape is a great idea.  My dojo does the "Roll the sleeve up" thing on whatever side is injured.  So my right side has had a rolled sleeve for a couple of weeks now.  Some people are better at acknowledging that than others, but by and large people behave pretty well about it.  And I'm again all for disclosing "Hey, be careful please."  Hell, a few times before class I've told Sempai when he's teaching that if he uses me to watch out for things. (?Because I'm used so freaking much at this point it's actually safer to assume I'll be used than not.  Some days I like this.  Others I'm freaking exhausted by it.)

Skipped aikido last night to prep for this interview, by the way.  Probably going to lift tonight.  Or hit up the dojo.  Not quite sure.  Leaning towards the lifting. 

Also debating on a refeed or not.  I'm currently at 205#, with my gut measuring in at 35.7ish inches.  A bit higher in weight and measurement, but at the same time that's a historically low measurement for that weight.  I'll take it.  A refeed tonight probably isn't needed, but I may do it as a "YAY interview" type thing instead.  Also Ben and Jerry's has new core ice creams that I want to devour.  Soooooo.... reasons?

Anyway, time to do some more prep.  Think good thoughts for me!

• Like 4

Thanks, guys and gals!  I'm liking my slow morning.  Normally I'd be at work right now, but I'm currently just sitting and sipping coffee and doing some more light prep for today.  I'm not too nervous, so that's good.  Much less likely to stumble about than if I was totally freaking out.  Helps I'm actually interested in the company, rather than, I dunno, finding a way to pay my bills.  Interestingly, the last time I felt this good was when I was interviewing with my last company, who's research interests made me consider going back to school for a PhD.  This is a similar feeling, so it feels good to have that sense again.  Even if I refuse to go back to grad school EVER AGAIN.

And yea, really glad I took the whole day off.  Turns out the recruiter is in the area today, so we're going to meet up and debrief in person.  It'll be nice, since I've been speaking with the guy for months now and haven't actually met him face to face.  No matter how this job interview turns out, I at least owe the man a coffee for doing his job damn well.

Re: Self Protection

Red tape is a great idea.  My dojo does the "Roll the sleeve up" thing on whatever side is injured.  So my right side has had a rolled sleeve for a couple of weeks now.  Some people are better at acknowledging that than others, but by and large people behave pretty well about it.  And I'm again all for disclosing "Hey, be careful please."  Hell, a few times before class I've told Sempai when he's teaching that if he uses me to watch out for things. (?Because I'm used so freaking much at this point it's actually safer to assume I'll be used than not.  Some days I like this.  Others I'm freaking exhausted by it.)

Skipped aikido last night to prep for this interview, by the way.  Probably going to lift tonight.  Or hit up the dojo.  Not quite sure.  Leaning towards the lifting. 

Also debating on a refeed or not.  I'm currently at 205#, with my gut measuring in at 35.7ish inches.  A bit higher in weight and measurement, but at the same time that's a historically low measurement for that weight.  I'll take it.  A refeed tonight probably isn't needed, but I may do it as a "YAY interview" type thing instead.  Also Ben and Jerry's has new core ice creams that I want to devour.  Soooooo.... reasons?

Anyway, time to do some more prep.  Think good thoughts for me!

I saw lifting in there. (One track mind much?)

Seriously though good luck on the interview! Kill 'em.

• Like 1

"I like you just the way you are" - Mr. Rogers

In Br0din's name we gain.

Well today has been interesting.

So, company was cool.  Got along with everyone.  Even after the boss was grilling me about hours and my concern on the work/life balance and told me to ask the next two people about it, I felt decent.  The people I talked to after him said a 40-50 hour week was pretty par for the course (with the caveat of "duh, sometimes around deadlines we work more"), occasional weekend work (one person said rarely, the other person said occasionally).  But after digesting everything, I kinda felt like that role would be a good fit for me.  I can work those hours without too much thought, the projects interesting, the coworkers were awesome, the company a Big Deal and an amazing chance to learn some really cool science.

Talked to the recruiter after the interview, told him my impressions, and he said that I usually had a good grasp of things, and that it sounded fine.  I was all on board.

Welp, turns out that apparently even though I grilled the two coworkers after the boss, was totally cool with them and their description of work-life balance, and exclaiming how it's totally fine to work 40-50 hour weeks, about taking the time to get the work done, yadda yadda yadda, that apparently the boss still thinks that I wouldn't put in the work.  Because suddenly it seems like the work-life balance for this role is apparently drastically different compared to the rest of the people that the boss explicitly told me I should ask for input on work-life balance.  I straight up told the recruiter that the person I'd probably be working close with agreed with my "Never grad school level commitment ever again" comment, and said that while there was definitely a lot of work, she hadn't gone crazy and was still working within a 45 hour week.

And so, now we wait.  The recruiter had me send him an email saying I'm okay with working 45-50 hour weeks, with those occasional spikes now and then.  But I said, I don't want to get into a situation where I'm working 55-60 hour weeks every week, or every other week.  Not gonna happen.  I do actually have a life.

That said, apparently I was also being considered for another role in a different group, without really being told about that.  So even if this falls through, I might still end up working for the company, just in their "General" microbiology group, rather than the ultra-marine SWAT edition micro group that this role is.

Dunno what's gonna happen.  Recruiter is going to bat for me based on a few months of talking to me, and a stellar recommendation from my previous boss.  So I'm just hanging tight.  And I'm annoyed (as is the recruiter) that apparently this role has/had secret stats needed and wasn't ever really discussed clearly.

I'm going to continue my refeed now.  With a pint of ice cream. (Also Honey nut cheerios with protein shake almond milk.)

• Like 2

Well, considering you were acting on incomplete info, I'd say it went about as well as it could have.  Personally I'd be significantly more upset about not being told the whole story up front than you are, but only being told half the story is a specialty of my current boss, so I'm a bit jaded, I guess.  

Still, even with all that, it sounds like it went fairly well, and the recruiter likes you enough to go to bat for you!  That's a good sign! 

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Well, considering you were acting on incomplete info, I'd say it went about as well as it could have.  Personally I'd be significantly more upset about not being told the whole story up front than you are, but only being told half the story is a specialty of my current boss, so I'm a bit jaded, I guess.  

Still, even with all that, it sounds like it went fairly well, and the recruiter likes you enough to go to bat for you!  That's a good sign! 

Yea.  At the moment the recruiter is really fighting for me.  I told him that getting me into that group isn't a hill worth dying on.  I'm a damn hard worker, and the hours the people talked about aren't terrifying, and I said as much, multiple times.  It's not my fault if the role in the hiring manager's head isn't matching up.  Can't fight that.  And really, now I'm wondering if I want to work for someone with such a distorted view of the world.  Who the hell says they have no hobbies...

But yea.  Kinda batting to get into this other group at the same company now.  And if I show off how awesome I am and the hiring manager realizes he makes a huge mistake, I'm kinda okay with that.

Challenge stuff.

I did a refeed yesterday.  And I've come to the conclusion they work and are WEIRD.

3400 calories.  209 grams protein.  330 grams Carbohydrates.  144 grams fat.

Woke up this morning, and my weight was 204.2#, and my gut measurement was down to 35.5".

The day before I weighed in at 206 pounds.  And my gut was up at 35.8".

I will say I should have been a bit more efficient and eaten less fat than I did.  I can fix that next time.  Though yesterday I (mostly) purposefully was eating carbs for thesake of eating carbs.  I ended up having two servings of cereal, plus a cadbury creme egg, plus a serving and a half of the cadbury mini eggs.  Pretty much solely to up my carb count.  Apparently that was effective?  Now just to see how energized I am for the rest of the week.

• Like 3

Just had the phone interview with the OTHER hiring manager.  I now have an onsite planned for sometime next week.  He asked when I could start.  I said May 2nd, assuming they would be moved into their new building by then, but apparently that is the move date.  Whoops.  He said that he would prefer sooner, but seriously, we're at a point where I'm looking at an offer potentially at mid-March, which two weeks notice would be the end of March/Beginning of April, and then a pre-planned vacation that's the first two weeks of April.  Starting immediately after I get back isn't going to help my brain, and starting mid-pay period probably isn't kosher either.  Though if they push I could say the last week of April.  That's doable.  I guess.  Kinda wanted a whole month off.  *shrug*

• Like 2

Well, barring a Great Old One appearing up there - it is Lovecraft country up there after all - I'd say it sounds like you got something in there. It is annoying that they didn't tell you about what you needed for the top level position, but they didn't out and say that you didn't have the qualifications for it. And like you said, you have the guy who's responsible for getting people in there working for you. That's very good.

Regarding the concussed aikidoka, do you guys have a waiver policy in place for things like this?

• Like 2

Just to be sure, you DID tell them about this, right?   :D

I mean, kinda.  The rule of thumb is discuss that at the offer stage.  Since that's when it'll be an issue.  Because if they like you enough they'll wait.  And if they don't like you enough, they probably aren't someone you want to work for anyway.

I told the IT Director at my current work (who knows pretty much as much about my work woes as you guys at this point), and she agrees that taking time off between the jobs is fine, even if they want to try and push me into it sooner.  I need the break.  Really, really badly.

Well, barring a Great Old One appearing up there - it is Lovecraft country up there after all - I'd say it sounds like you got something in there. It is annoying that they didn't tell you about what you needed for the top level position, but they didn't out and say that you didn't have the qualifications for it. And like you said, you have the guy who's responsible for getting people in there working for you. That's very good.

Regarding the concussed aikidoka, do you guys have a waiver policy in place for things like this?

We shall see.  For all I know, I can bungle up both sets and end up with nothing.  But come April, the recruiter wants to knock on the door to the company I interviewed with back in November, who liked me a lot but hit that hiring freeze.  Because I'd fit in well there, too.  So at least I have some promising irons in the fire.

And as for the concussed aikidoka, yea, there's a waiver policy saying injuries are your own damn fault.  It's just annoying because if she walks around telling the (kind of small) aikido community that our dojo injured her because of being a poor/incompetently taught dojo, it could reflect super badly.  And that pisses me off, since clearly we couldn't have done much differently in the situation.  Her own.  Damn.  Fault.

Anyway.

Sent out thank you emails to the people who interviewed me yesterday.  Amazing how easy it is to write those when you 1) don't interview everyone and their mother and 2) are actually interested and learned a great deal from what was said.  Now just to wait and see if they garner any replies or good will.  Time will tell.

• Like 2