• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RisenPhoenix

RisenPhoenix Does His Three Rs

Week 2 Update, anyone?

1) Rest - Actually was pretty solid this week, though definitely closer to the 8 hours a night rather than the 9.  I haven't been sleeping super well, either.  Might have to try a bit harder on the evening routine-ness of my night.  More reading, less computery things.

2) Refeed:  Almost on point, though a bit high in Fat this week.  Should try to avoid that in the future, which means I really should get low fat ice cream, since that was the largest offender.  That said, weigh in this morning was 204.2-204.6 pounds, with an abdominal measurement of 35.3ish inches, and a true waist measurement at a hair less than 35inches.  Also realized I've been wearing size 34 jeans that are super loose at the waist.

Bonus refeed story?  CourtnieMarie and her SO swung by on Sunday with coffee and hugs because they were in the neighborhood.  So I got to glomp the both of them, and catch up because it's been a few months, and be happy to see Nerds.  But they both commented on how lean I look compared to the last time they saw me at New Year's Eve.  Huzzah, progress!  Also, Huzzah Nerds! <3

3) Randori:  Kiiiind of cheating here.  Saturday I had a few bits of practice just before class began, and felt pretty solid.  But that was only with two attackers, and I need to get used to 3 or more.  But, the end of class the instructor had us go up to actually practice randori, so I got the chance to go up against 3 very energetic people.  Less fluid, but also not terrible.  I'll let my ego show a bit and say I felt my performance at the randori was a bit smoother than the other people who were at my level.  But again, that might be my ego talking.

4) R:  Unoffically, adding the R course to my challenge.  I finished the lectures and the coding assignments, but the quiz kicked my ass.  I think I need to look at the book to try and get the exact coding steps to answer the quiz, because the lectures and coding assignments totally didn't cover the things being asked in the quiz.  Well, at least not in the way the quiz wants me to get answers. (It involves actual data, but I'm just able to load the entire table, rather than pull out sections.  That's not useful in the long term.)

Alrighty, week 3.  Should be an interesting week for sure.

• Like 3

That's great news on the interviews! I hope one of them makes you a nice offer. I agree, you need a real break between your current job and the new one. Especially if the new job will be expecting you to put in long hours to get up to speed at first.

Yay for good randori practice!

• Like 1

Interview is officially for Thursday, though exact timings are still up in the air.  It also looks like it's going to be in the afternoon, so I can get to work early, do what I need to do, and leave with enough time to change and make it to the area for a 2.5 hour interview.

I'm kind of curious to see people's reactions to me for a second time.  I'm currently not sweating the interview from last week.  They already told me I'm a good fit for the company at large.  The first hiring manager just seems to be a bit crazy (and not even in the grand scheme of things, if the coworkers are speaking the truth).  It helps that I do want to work for this company, so I'm pretty upfront and enthusiastic about things there.  So now it's a more wait-and-see scenario.

The only hiccup might be that the recruiter seemed to hint to the second hiring manager that the role I interviewed for last week wasn't doing it for me.  In reality, I'd jump at that one if they offered it, provided the coworkers were speaking the truth.  But I'm trying to figure out a diplomatic way of saying "I think both positions are cool" that doesn't seem like I'm just throwing shit at the fan to see what sticks.

Dunno.  Guess I'll find out.

• Like 1

saying "I think both positions are cool" that doesn't seem like I'm just throwing shit at the fan to see what sticks.

Say that.  Exactly that.  Verbatim.   :tongue:

Ok, not verbatim, but I'd just be up front about it.  Then again, I'm not the best interviewee.  haha. 

• Like 1

I dunno. I've been pretty diplomatic in telling people before that I'll do whatever job they see fit to give me. It's never worked.

Maybe it is better instead to just throw some shit and see what sticks, you know? Though, if you're really going to go diplomatic, maybe something like, "To be frank, I can see how either position would serve to benefit my development as a professional in this field, to say nothing of how it would benefit you. And I could easily approach either with a sense of enthusiasm and responsibility."

Or, you know. Whatever.

Everyone seems to be working really hard to transform this challenge, and I'm glad to see that you seem to be making some progress on that in a way that suits you and doesn't seem to be terribly painful. Kudos! Onward!

• Like 3

Ugh.

So I went to sleep last night at 9:45.  I woke up once again at 2AM pretty much on the dot.  And then had a hard time falling back asleep.  And then my alarm went off at 6:30 and I was quite reluctant to get out of bed.

I feel slow and stupid and grumpy and dragging, and really have no idea on how to fix that feeling.

I think this calls for drastic measures.  I'm skipping aikido tonight (unless by some miracle I feel fantastic by 4PM) and Stairs tomorrow (because clearly my body needs rest).  Both of which annoy me, but given I have an interview on Thursday, I need to be a bit better than I currently am.  Ugh.

Also yesterday I ate a lot more than I should have.  Still below my TDEE, but more than I should on a cut.  Ended up just over 2400 calories.  Nothing actually explicitly bad, unless you count the tiny 100% cocoa baker's chocolate square I nibbled on.  And I guess two lifesaver mints.  Everything else is pretty much on point.

Goal today is eat decently, even though I feel like shit.  I may swap out my lunch for some oatmeal, which will be harder to track, simply because we have no measuring cups in the office.

Ugh.

Stupid sickness/feeling like crap/stress.

• Like 2

Good call on the rest, and don't stress over the food.  You're trying to hit peak performance on Thursday.  Fuel up, rest, race, recover, train.

• Like 3

What she said. Train to live, don't live to train. Unless you got some DBZ-level shit going on, there's no percentage in training with a handicap right now.

• Like 2

Good call on the rest, and don't stress over the food.  You're trying to hit peak performance on Thursday.  Fuel up, rest, race, recover, train.

What she said. Train to live, don't live to train. Unless you got some DBZ-level shit going on, there's no percentage in training with a handicap right now.

I mean, I did rest.  It was kinda glorious.  I forgot what a full-stop midweek felt like.  I was just dead on my couch for about 3 hours when I got home, then read a book until I finished it, and then passed out around 9:30.  I did wake up again at 1:45AM.  It's an annoying habit that seems to be forming.  I'm hoping it's just stress related.  But I fell back asleep pretty quick, and woke up at 6:30 when my alarm went off.  I felt pretty good this morning, which is a plus.  I want to hit bed early again tonight, but it's going to be mitigated a bunch because I need to wake up early.

That said, I did realize I don't really do much with my life BUT train.  Seriously.  I'm either at the dojo, at Stairs, or at the gym.  If I'm not there, I'm at work, or asleep.  Now and again I'll see people on the weekend, but that's few and far between (though this may be the result of having to hermit as things have gotten progressively worse at work).  On the plus side, it makes working crazy hours bearable during the work week.  On the downside, I really don't do much else with my life.  Whoops?  Dunno.  It's also such a drastic shift from 3 years ago that Fat RP's head would be spinning.

Speaking of Fat RP.... Weight bounced up to 205 pounds this morning, but my gut measurement is still holding at 35.5" and my true waist measurement is still 35-34.75ish inches.  Apparently, the calculator I use actually does want the measurement at the navel.  So that puts me at a ~17% body fat.  At 205 that means I'm holding onto ~35 pounds of fat and ~170 pound of LBM.  Not too shabby.  Definitely stats that would make Fat RP's head spin.

• Like 5

That said, I did realize I don't really do much with my life BUT train.  Seriously.  I'm either at the dojo, at Stairs, or at the gym.  If I'm not there, I'm at work, or asleep.  Now and again I'll see people on the weekend, but that's few and far between (though this may be the result of having to hermit as things have gotten progressively worse at work).  On the plus side, it makes working crazy hours bearable during the work week.  On the downside, I really don't do much else with my life.  Whoops?  Dunno.  It's also such a drastic shift from 3 years ago that Fat RP's head would be spinning.

I am literally in this exact same place in my life, which is perhaps no longer surprising, given our quantum entanglement thing. Like, I'm training or working out five or six out of seven days a week, and I'm usually running or lifting weights on those rare off-days.

Sometimes I wonder who I am, and what I did with me. Did I murder me? Am I a pod-person? Would I even know if I were?

• Like 2

Exercise is not a time-sparing hobby, that is for sure. I think it's a good thing though -- even if occasionally we have moments where we freak out about how we have no free time... 

• Like 3

I am literally in this exact same place in my life, which is perhaps no longer surprising, given our quantum entanglement thing. Like, I'm training or working out five or six out of seven days a week, and I'm usually running or lifting weights on those rare off-days.

Sometimes I wonder who I am, and what I did with me. Did I murder me? Am I a pod-person? Would I even know if I were?

Hey, you made that realization long before I did, so props to your for that, Quantum Twin. :P

It is amazing to look back on things and realize how far we've all come.  Go back and read your first challenge if you haven't.  Your mind will be blown, I think.

Exercise is not a time-sparing hobby, that is for sure. I think it's a good thing though -- even if occasionally we have moments where we freak out about how we have no free time... 

Right?  This is why "Do What You Love" is so important.  If you hate something, you won't want to put time into it, no matter how healthy it is.  Or, as I said to a coworker who was remarking about how healthy my lunch was: "Yea, it's healthy.  But conveniently I actually like how these taste.  So the healthy part is a bonus."

• Like 3

Hahaha, I live la vida entrenamiento. It's a factor of not having money and wanting to make something useful of my free time. I wouldn't say it was a bad way to live, for what it's worth, but I can see how that can sneak up on a person. It always catches me by surprise. And actually, as I think about it, it makes the times when I step away from training to go be social feel... weird. Good weird. Still weird.

Anyway, bi-phasic sleep isn't bad if you get rest and get back down quick enough, which, you know. You don't want to pressure yourself into that. It's a good way to get no sleep at all.

You do what it takes to get and build the life you want. Nothing wrong with spending lots of time on that, especially if you enjoy it. :)

• Like 2

I have an interview in 2.5 hours.  At the same place as last week, just with a different manager. (Also fun fact I learned about the first hiring manager - apparently even though he has three data points -me, the recruiter, and a reference- telling him I'm okay with working the hours as needed, he still doesn't believe it.  His loss.)  This guy seems to be a bit more sane, though he and the recruiting company don't want me to take a break between my job and their contract.  I said no, but could flex to a week earlier of a start date.  Plus side, I apparently get vacation time accrual with this contract agency, so at least I'll be reminded to take some time off, once it accrues.

• Like 2

Fron what you've mentioned, he seems like someone rather unpleasant to work with anyway.  Hopefull the other group is better.  Good luck with the interview!

Are you ok with your current workout/life balance?  Work isn't ok but you're changing that.

• Like 1

Fron what you've mentioned, he seems like someone rather unpleasant to work with anyway.  Hopefull the other group is better.  Good luck with the interview!

Are you ok with your current workout/life balance?  Work isn't ok but you're changing that.

Honestly, from talking to people, I don't think he would be that bad to work for.  But he may have other, undisclosed ideas about the position (like more hours than the company norm) that make it hard to trust his reactions now.  Like I said.  His loss, because I flat out said I had no problem working 45-50 hour weeks, have people claiming that I speak the truth, and he still doesn't believe it.  *shrug*

I mean, my workout/life balance is.... questionable.  But then again, my life is centered around the dojo, so I feel like I get a mix of the two there.  When I want to skip a weekend class to see people, I do.  Or when I want to do something else, I usually do, too.  Really at the end of the day, as long as I can keep making Sunday's two classes and Tuesday's two classes, I feel like my aikido duties are fulfilled. Everything else is gravy. (Though I missed Tuesday and Wednesday night classes, and that hurts a bit.  So I yogaed instead at home.  Trade offs are acceptable, right?  Prep for interview + Yoga + relax and sleep early vs aikido+limited interview prep+getting to bed later.  I think I made the right choice.  Even if I'm itchy about it still.)

• Like 3

Yes, you made the right choice to get ready for your interview. Being well-rested makes everything easier. Plus you have less stress because you're prepared. Win all around.

I hear you on the work/life balance problems. I'm constantly weighing the importance of going to practice or getting things done at home. Lucky for me, I have support from my family. I talked to Dumbledore about it last weekend. He came down solidly on the side of me practicing all the time and leaving the chores to the guys.

I hope your interview today gets you a great new job!

• Like 2

Yeah, dude, if you can't sell the guy between yourself and the references, that's really just not meant to work. Ya gotta leave him on that.

So on the one hand, awesome! Because you're talking to someone who actually seems to want to work with you! Good luck with that!

On the other hand, it kinda sucks that they don't want to give you a break between old work and new work. Sounds practically gig-like to me. Still, good work for people you want to work with can feel like a vacation all on its own, I find. ^_^;

• Like 3

I have an interview in 2.5 hours.  At the same place as last week, just with a different manager. (Also fun fact I learned about the first hiring manager - apparently even though he has three data points -me, the recruiter, and a reference- telling him I'm okay with working the hours as needed, he still doesn't believe it.  His loss.)  This guy seems to be a bit more sane, though he and the recruiting company don't want me to take a break between my job and their contract.  I said no, but could flex to a week earlier of a start date.  Plus side, I apparently get vacation time accrual with this contract agency, so at least I'll be reminded to take some time off, once it accrues.

Listening to what you say about Doubting Thomas (the first hiring manager), I wonder what the backstory is.  That kind of caution is usually born of having been burned in the recent past.  Will keep hoping for the best solution for you and all involved!

• Like 2

Honestly, from talking to people, I don't think he would be that bad to work for.  But he may have other, undisclosed ideas about the position (like more hours than the company norm) that make it hard to trust his reactions now.  Like I said.  His loss, because I flat out said I had no problem working 45-50 hour weeks, have people claiming that I speak the truth, and he still doesn't believe it.  *shrug*

I mean, my workout/life balance is.... questionable.  But then again, my life is centered around the dojo, so I feel like I get a mix of the two there.  When I want to skip a weekend class to see people, I do.  Or when I want to do something else, I usually do, too.  Really at the end of the day, as long as I can keep making Sunday's two classes and Tuesday's two classes, I feel like my aikido duties are fulfilled. Everything else is gravy. (Though I missed Tuesday and Wednesday night classes, and that hurts a bit.  So I yogaed instead at home.  Trade offs are acceptable, right?  Prep for interview + Yoga + relax and sleep early vs aikido+limited interview prep+getting to bed later.  I think I made the right choice.  Even if I'm itchy about it still.)

If you end up working for the other group, maybe there's a chance of switching later?

That would be the critical part.  Spending that much time at the dojo/working out because you choose to is great.  Spending it because you feel obligated is not.  So long as you're happy with it, all is well. 

Yoga-ing at home is a good substitute.  Trade-offs are not only acceptable, they're needed at times.  You needed the quiet and peace and yoga works well with that. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone!

Now THAT is how you nail a goddamn interview.

Seriously.  It went fantastic.  The role sounds more interesting than the first group's.  The team is fantastic (granted, the other team was also cool, but I seriously adored pretty much everyone I spoke with yesterday).  The manager is ridiculously similar to my first manager at my last job, which was perfect for my learning/work style.  He's also as excited about the science as he is about the company.  I figured out last week a really good question for interviews:  "Give me one Draw and one Drawback of the company."  Gives a whole bunch of data that is useful regardless.  The draw lets you see what they view as a positive, and if they keep going on past one draw to really sell you it's a pretty decent tip that they like you.  And the severity of the drawback can give you an idea of what you're walking into.  In this case, the mostly-unanimous Draw was "The Science and People are Fantastic" and the Drawback wavered between "We're cramped like sardines (but moving soon)" and "We're growing super fast so we're worried about communication."  These are pretty much totally fine by my book.

The worst thing about the interview is I didn't get a solid connection with the Director of Microbiology.... who's Hiring Manager One's wife.  What impressed me there was the VERY strict boundary they seem to have with work/life, because his name wasn't mentioned once, even in passing.  I was very worried she might have been 'soiled' with an impression about me.  She might be, but at least didn't give that indication.  Also stumbled describing a few things to her, but that's because my brain was moving to fast.  I also forgot a major gene name for a screening experiment I did in my last job.... but it was 2.5 years ago at this point and I said I'm leaving my job because I miss microbiology, so it kinda of made sense that I would miss that.  Also I was really close to the gene name (I said recA), paused because I realized it wasn't right, and then said that was wrong, that I couldn't remember right now, and moved to make a note to get the answer later.... only to have her say not to worry about it and that it was mecA.  It wasn't until late last night I realized she was trying to grill my microbiology knowledge, and pretty much all of those questions I gave answers to effortlessly.  So I went from feeling like I totally bombed that portion to "Oh, that actually wasn't terrible."

I told the recruiter that I could start the last week of April if they offered the job.  The only large worry is how I'll get to the job.  At the moment, I'm toying with the idea of parking at the dojo (which is an open lot) on days I would train and walk to work (it's a mile and a half), and days I don't train just take the T.  I'd just straight up take the T, but there is no good way for me to get home FROM the dojo in that case, without it taking almost an hour and a half.  So, things to ponder.  The eternal issues of Cambridge biotech location.  A lack of parking and accessibility.  Oh well.  Job is still awesome.

Now to wait and see what happens.

• Like 6

Oh, also, I ate Key lime pie and a bacon brownie for dinner at Karateka's apartment, as she and I geeked out over very good interviews.

This morning I weighed in at 203.2 pounds.

Body, I dun get you.

• Like 4