RisenPhoenix Does His Three Rs

26 minutes ago, Oramac said:

Ugh.  This sort of thing really pisses me off.  Sadly, it seems to be true at just about any employer on the planet, to one extent or another.  

In any case, you are right that we're in your corner.  I know it's probably semantics, but if you need a reference or something I'm sure we'd all be willing to vouch for you as well.  

What I find interesting is literally everyone I've told the whole story to agrees I needed to do this.  My boss is going to be screwed because of this, and HE still realizes I need to do this.  It's just amazing because a small amount of honesty shows everyone understands what I've been going through to some extent, yet at the same time it's something that I'm now going to have hanging over my head.  Because "Just up and quitting to preserve sanity" is somehow only interpreted as "Quit with no good reason."  Heaven forbid someone go against capitalist society (says the very libertarian RP).

Also, just heard from my boss after I said I will try not to smile as much: "Oh yea, sure.  Fucker doesn't smile for months, gives notice, and now won't stop!  Fucker!"

Like I said.  I like my boss.  I almost feel bad about putting him in the situation.

• Like 3

Well, and on the other hand, you were looking to take a break. You might not get it the way you want it, but even so.

And it's always regrettable when you have likable bosses that get put in bad situations. Then again, if he'd put you in a good situation, you wouldn't be leaving. So he's kind of at fault for that too. But at least he's not apparently being a dick about you leaving, so, you know. That's good of him.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Kishi said:

Well, and on the other hand, you were looking to take a break. You might not get it the way you want it, but even so.

And it's always regrettable when you have likable bosses that get put in bad situations. Then again, if he'd put you in a good situation, you wouldn't be leaving. So he's kind of at fault for that too. But at least he's not apparently being a dick about you leaving, so, you know. That's good of him.

Well, the Universe usually provides what you need when you slow down enough to pay attention, right?  Even if it's not the way you expect it to be.

I mean, my boss is just as brow beaten as I am at this point.  He spent 2 years telling me things will change and I'll get trained on a whole bunch of things, and then things kept falling through, mostly through no fault of his own.  But yea.  Not being a dick, offering a good reference to say that I wasn't quitting simply to avoid being fired (which will be most employer's worry now), and that I do good work.  Because I fucking DO.  And also that I'm helpful.  Because I'm doing everything I can to help ease the transition for them.

But yea.  Even with the chaos falling around me right now, I feel great.  And plan on knocking out a LOT of hours at the dojo.  Cuz why not? >.> <.<

• Like 4

So, anyone want an actual challenge update instead of an excerpt from "The Life and Times of RisenPhoenix"?

1) Rest: Sleep has been decent.  I'm getting to bed around 10, and getting up at 630.  The nighttime rituals haven't been on point, though.  Still not a lot or as much reading as I would like before bed, but I've prioritized a few other things recently.  I'm hoping that updating my iPhone to the new iOS will help, too - because Apple FINALLY has a nightshift/f.lux feature.  Also discovered that at about 2AM my body gets too warm, which wakes me up.  So I think I need to peel some layers off my bed.  Which means I'll not be as warm going to bed, but I might sleep through the entire night.  Imagine that.

2) Refeed: I wasn't going to refeed last week, and I ended up doing so mainly as a result of rage-lifting.  This week I'm intending to do so again, even though I haven't been super strict with my carbs.  But, my weight was 204 this morning even, and my gut I think I can solidly say is sticking under 35.5" towards the 35.25" region, so I'm showing movement there.  So I'm going to run with it.  It would be great if I could get lower in weight, but I can't complain much.  I looked back three months, and in three months I've lost ~8 pounds (212 -> 204 ).  Given how much I do, that's actually impressive.  Especially since trying the refeed I'm less grumpy about eating.  That alone is worth a lot.  And add in my definitely improved gut measurement, and I'm still happy with this combination of eating.

3) Randori:  Nothing yet, planning on doing some work this weekend.  Lots of aikido things going on that I'm trying to work on.  The next exam is coming up soon, and so lots of classes have been prep.  I've taken to helping people who need the practice for the exam rather than actually think about my randori-related things too much.  Would rather see people rock their exams than win this part of the challenge for myself.  I have plenty of time, after all.

Life is kind of crumbling around me, but at least the challenge is going decent?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, raptron said:

A STRONG CHALLENGE IS A STRONG FOUNDATION FOR LIFE.

Or something... I dunno, I kind of feel like we need some challenge-oriented propaganda posters now.

Actually, I do feel that way, though.  I'm literally leaving my job because it isn't engaging enough.  I told my boss I almost felt bad, because the most enjoyment I've gotten out of this job is when shit goes sideways and I have to solve it.

But yes.  Challenge-oriented propaganda posters should totally exist.  You should tell Staci.  When her brain comes back from this software update.

39 minutes ago, Kishi said:

c4jt321.png

We're all on fire, man.

Of course it's fine.  There's coffee in that photo.  Everything is fine with coffee.

Also a day of firsts.

One coworker pretty much said it's a terrible idea to leave a job with nothing lined up and if I need to deal with medical things (which hey, crushing anxiety is medical), I should take an unpaid medical leave.  Good idea, except if you take FMLA leave, you actually are supposed to intend to come back.  I would go and never come back.  Which would burn bridges, instead of the building them I currently am engaged in.

Another coworker (who I don't interact with much) came up to me and gave a surprisingly intense goodbye to me, telling me she didn't want me to go.  But she also said that life has a way of moving you around, so I should go with it.  It was nice, because like I said, I don't interact with her a lot.  Just a hi in the morning and at lunch, and the few times I need to ask questions in the lab.  Apparently I made a bigger impact than I realized.

Okay.  Back to report writing now.  So many things to do before April 5th.

• Like 2

futurama-good-news-gif.gif

So, my boss just told me that he got approval from upper management to set it up so that I can be made a 1099 contractor after I leave, so he can throw me work to help buffer things a bit.  Assuming the rate is what I made as a temp (and I should be able to push for more at this point), that actually puts me in a really solid position, assuming things keep flowing in and they need an extra hand to do work and experiments.

Yea, it's the same assays I'd be doing if I was full time, but not having to do the stuff in between and being able to do my own stuff on my own schedule means I'll have a freedom that will probably help my anxiety.   So even if I spend a whole 20 hours a week here still, I'll still be making out better than I have been in the past.

And because I'm a contractor, I can stop as soon as I get an offer.

The universe.  Providing what you need for 13.8 Billion Years.  If you shut up long enough to let it.

• Like 5

That's awesome, RP.  Your boss is a good guy, and you're clearly pretty good to have around doing the work.  That's, like, perfect.  All the financial stability, all the freedom, much less stress.  I'm really glad that's working out for you.

I mean, this all could still technically fall through.  My leaving meant that the search to replace me has gone at LIGHTSPEED.  Seriously, I have no seen any search go this fast comparatively since I've been here.  So theoretically, I could still lose that chance if they manage to hire someone and train them quickly enough.  Then I have no use.  Besides probably trying to convince them to pay me to train them.  Which I honestly would do.  Because I like training people.

So there are flaws, but my boss is betting on needing me, and it lets me keep saying I'm working at the company, so my resume takes less of a hit.  It'll be pretty solid, I think, over all.  Guess we shall see.

• Like 2
On 3/24/2016 at 9:59 AM, RisenPhoenix said:

So, anyone want an actual challenge update instead of an excerpt from "The Life and Times of RisenPhoenix"?

1) Rest: Sleep has been decent. ... Also discovered that at about 2AM my body gets too warm, which wakes me up.  So I think I need to peel some layers off my bed.  Which means I'll not be as warm going to bed, but I might sleep through the entire night.  Imagine that.

I like the "Life and Times of RP" updates. :D

A suggestion for going to bed warm: put an electric throw under the blankets at the foot of your bed. Turn it on about half an hour before you go to bed, then turn it off when you get in bed. The bed will be warm at the all important foot region. I can personally endorse this plan.

On 3/24/2016 at 2:09 PM, RisenPhoenix said:

So, my boss just told me that he got approval from upper management to set it up so that I can be made a 1099 contractor after I leave, so he can throw me work to help buffer things a bit.  Assuming the rate is what I made as a temp (and I should be able to push for more at this point), that actually puts me in a really solid position, assuming things keep flowing in and they need an extra hand to do work and experiments.

Yea, it's the same assays I'd be doing if I was full time, but not having to do the stuff in between and being able to do my own stuff on my own schedule means I'll have a freedom that will probably help my anxiety.   So even if I spend a whole 20 hours a week here still, I'll still be making out better than I have been in the past.

Yay! Just the thing to keep you solvent while you send out resumes.

I agree that you made the right choice. Lots of aikido and less stress. I'll bet you lose those last few pounds over the next month. :P

• Like 1

So, these 4 week challenges wrap up pretty quickly, huh?  Probably for the best, since things are getting all sorts of wonky for me.  Plus side, going into TLaToRP (The Life and Times of RP), pretty much everyone around me is commenting on how much happier I seem.  At the dojo it's been mentioned a bunch of times, and people at work are even noticing (and teasing over how much I'm smiling).  It really is just more proof this was long over due.  I get my vacation in a week and a half, and I had a great phone interview on Friday, and even if things go slowly, things are looking up.

So, how did this challenge go?

1) Sleep:  Okay, sleep was a bit touch-and-go.  I need to get into bed sooner, I think.  But I've been watching a lot more TV lately, rather than reading, but that's really no excuse.  I should be reading more.  I have enough books and things to do that with.  At the end of the day, though, I still managed to easily get 8-8.5 hours of sleep most nights.  I think the largest issue I encountered during this challenge was actually waking up in the middle of the night.  Whether it was from stress or overheating, it seems to be solved now.  Now to get my evening routing up and running a bit more smoothly.

2) Refeed:  The refeed actually went great.  I have no idea what my current weight is (it's bad - Easter goodies overload since Friday night).  But the last weigh in I had was 204, and my pre-binging gut measurement was 35.3".  Holy crap guys, that's TINY.  And almost an INCH off from a when the challenge started.  I'm a bit bloated cuz of Easter, but I'm a) just pretending this is a mega diet break for 2-3 days and b) going to do a decently hard cut until my vacation.  That should balance me back down.  I will say I was really bad at eating the junk food at my work, but I've come to realize the last could of weeks have been incredibly stressful, so I'm going to blame that.  The next week and a half will also be stressful, but I should be a bit more willpower-energized to resist junk.  Also I'm going to bring healthier snacks, so it's easier to choose better options.  All in all, the refeed was exactly what I needed I think.  So here's to hoping it keeps working.

3) Randori - I was 3/4 here.  This last week was the only week I didn't do any practice, but that's because yesterday I had to deal with family and today I was just too tired to move more than 1 class.  But Karateka has asked me to help her with randori prep as well, and I said of course.  So the next few weeks I'll be helping her and myself at the same time.  Should work out well.  Add in the rest of the people who want to see me test for 1st kyu sooner, rather than later, and I suspect I'll have ample practice coming up.

The next few weeks are going to be interesting.  My life is about to drastically change, so I suspect my next challenge is going to be all life based, rather than anything physical.  I'll probably move my fitness stuff into my battle log, and the life stuff as a challenge.  And of course keep my aikido ramblings in the guild.  I actually feel like I'm in striking distance of my goals for the first time in a while.  It feels good.  Life is good.

• Like 6

Life-based challenges are the bee's knees and if you go that way it will serve you well.

It sounds like the end of this challenge finds you in a much better place than you were at the start. That's terrific. And that's what you were hoping for, right?

I hope you enjoy the hell out of Easter Weekend, and we'll see you on the flip side.

• Like 2

Thanks, guys.

Weighed myself this morning.  It ain't pretty, but my gut measurement is still below 36".  So, I'm going to assume it's mostly water weight and eating well this week will get me back down to where I want to be.  Happiness also may help with this fact, as Mistr has noted.

Also TLaToRP update.

Phone interview from Friday has officially resulted in an invite to the company for an onsite interview.  I have no idea when, given this week is being crazy, and next week I'm away.  So I need to talk to my boss and see if Thursday or so I can do an early-in, early-out thing and do the interview that way.  Also the recruiter I've been working with said he wants to submit me for a super secret job because I'm a solid fit for their profile, and if nothing else meeting the person who's in charge is a good network connection to have.  I would be employee number two.  So I'd be running around like crazy, and there's no guarantee I'll have a job in 6-7 months, but the potential for being in at the literal ground floor for a new company and meeting a bigwig for the Boston-area microbiology field?  It's a gamble that's a little high on the risk, but something worth considering.  Unless I meet the guy and he's an ass.  I don't need that stress on top of work stress.

• Like 5
4 minutes ago, Kyellan said:

Well, one thing to take out all of this for sure is that you interview well =) Not everybody can say that!

Trying to not make this a humble brag, but I have a really high hit rate when it comes to getting an onsite interview after a phone interview.  Somehow, even though I hate talking on the phone, I do phone interviews really well.  I think out of all my phone interviews (with hiring managers, not recruiters) I've done, I can think of only one or two that didn't result in an onsite interview being extended.  It's the onsites I tend to bungle up.

>.<

• Like 2

Your getting an interview rate is pretty high period. 

The new company sounds interesting.  It can be stressful to be in a startup but really pays off if the company works.  Besides, the beaurocracy hasn't had a chance to get entrenched yet.  You could use a move away from that.

Hmmm, the refeed results are great!

• Like 1