Dustoff stays on the path

dustoff

The last challenge I started over. I decided to take the first steps down the dark and scary path toward being fit. I aim to continue that journey this challenge and hopefully pick up the pace a bit. I have been fairly successful at keeping my arch nemesis the peanut butter ninja at bay but he still creeps past my defenses every once in a while and strikes.

This challenge I am going to focus on keeping my calories in check, beating the peanut butter ninja, and getting to the gym while following my selected lifting program.

Current Stats:

Sex: Male

Height: 5’10â€

Weight: 247.2 lbs.

Stomach: ??"

Chest: ??"

Neck: ??"

Bicep: ??"

Main Quest: Get below 20% body fat this year.

I currently stand at about 32% body fat. This is not healthy for me at all. I am hoping that at the end of the year I can be about 50 lbs. lighter but the weight is only an indicator of my progress. If I end up at 20% body fat and am nowhere near 200 lbs. I will be fine with it. Once I hit 20% I will set my next goal to drop additional body fat.

Challenge Goal 1: Count my calories as accurately as possible. My goal is to average 1,800 calories (or less) per day for the entire challenge. Calories will be tracked on My Fitness Pal.

Graded weekly, the final grade will be an average of the weekly grades

A = 1800 Calories per day

B = 1900 Calories per day

C = 1950 Calories per day

D = 2000 Calories per day

E = More than 2100 Calories per day

Challenge Goal 2: Defeat the peanut butter ninja. I have a very bad habit of ruining my daily calorie count by eating peanut butter. Peanut butter by itself isn’t a terrible thing unless you eat 1,000 calories of it at a time (like I do). I tend to grab the jar and a spoon when I get the urge. This challenge I am removing peanut butter from my eating habits all together. No peanut butter at all during the entire challenge.

Graded weekly, the final grade will be based on the total number of days I went without peanut butter.

A = 95% of the days

B = 90% of the days

C = 85% of the days

D = 80% of the days

F = less than 80 % of the days

Challenge Goal 3: Continue going to the gym and lifting. I am on the final week of my current program and my lifting partner and I will be selecting a new program this week. It will likely be a 4 to 6 week lifting program. My goal is to be in the gym every morning I am scheduled to be there.

Grading will be done weekly to evaluate where I am at but the final grade will be based on the number of days I make it to the gym throughout the challenge.

A = 95% of the days

B = 90% of the days

C = 85% of the days

D = 80% of the days

F = less than 80 % of the days

• Like 1

Dustoff 

-----------------------------------------------------------

Human Rebel

Main Quest: Below 20% Body Fat  | Starting: 34% | Goal: 20% | Current: 32.5% |

14.3%
14.3%

Main Quest 2: Lose 50 lbs  | Starting Weight: 250 lbs. | Goal Weight: 200 lbs. | Current Weight: 246.5 lbs |

7%
7%

I will update my spreadsheet weekly.

large.Progress_March.png.01b4fee6177c068

Dustoff 

Human Rebel

14.3%
14.3%

Main Quest 2: Lose 50 lbs  | Starting Weight: 250 lbs. | Goal Weight: 200 lbs. | Current Weight: 246.5 lbs |

7%
7%

I totally understand the peanut butter thing, I can't even have it in the house or I will eat half the jar as a snack.  Keep up the awesome work!

"Destiny is important, see, but people go wrong when they think it controls them. It's the other way around." - Terry Pratchett

Lift: 1 of 24                                             Eat Right: 1 of 42                              Stay Sane: 1 of 42   

I totally understand the peanut butter thing, I can't even have it in the house or I will eat half the jar as a snack.  Keep up the awesome work!

Wish I could just get rid of it but I have four kids who all love it. They don't overindulge so I can't see taking it away from them just because I have no will power.

• Like 1

Dustoff 

Human Rebel

14.3%
14.3%

7%
7%

Good luck Dustoff! Getting the 20% is my personal aim too, though I´m at 23% at the moment and haven´t been way above 25% ever.

How did you create that worksheet? I´m absolutely not into such things, but I´d love to have a graphic or something to show me my progress

I´m a bass player, what´s your superpower?

"Small you are? Lift you must!" Master Broda, at the Dagobrah warrior bootcamp to his apprentice Luke Skylifter

"Let not the gains of your heart diminish the gains from your mind for the path of iron is long and full of hardship"  Book of Liftviticus ch23, v13

Success starts where excuses end! 

\m/ Be awesome!!! \m/

My DailyBattleLog:

\m/ Commitment on being awesome \m/

My Current Challenge:

Click me!!!

Good luck Dustoff! Getting the 20% is my personal aim too, though I´m at 23% at the moment and haven´t been way above 25% ever.

How did you create that worksheet? I´m absolutely not into such things, but I´d love to have a graphic or something to show me my progress

It is just an excel spreadsheet. I like having the visual and it gives me a good way to track my progress. The workbook has a sheet for every month of the year. I plan to update the sheets to match my current challenge every month. If you message me your email address I will happily send you a copy of it that you can modify as you see fit. I have not put a ton of time into it and there are certainly updates that could make it much easier to use but it works for me. There is an additional chart that I do not normally post. It tracks my yearly weight and body fat and provides a trend line for each so I know if I am on track to reach my goals. 

gallery_40372_2155_8237.png

• Like 1

Dustoff 

Human Rebel

14.3%
14.3%

7%
7%

Good solid goals, will be following along again.

I wish you luck in your battle with the dreaded Peanut Butter Ninja.

Level 21 Wood Elf Ranger

STR: 16  -  CON: 22  -  CHA: 9  -  SAN: 19 -  INT: 17

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Current Challenge: Jarric embraces brevity

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 67 68 69 70

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map - 2021 Road Map - 2022 road map/wrap-up

Hey buddy,

Peanut butter is practically crack. Best to just not have it around. As a stepping stone, have you considered the methadone version: almond-only almond butter? Depending on if you live around a store that has a grinder, you can buy very small amounts and it's got no added sugar, whereas Peter Pan and crew are stacked up with it. I don't know if this kind of crutch would be a help or a hindrance.

Hang in there...play the long game. Classic, bumper sticker observations: it took time to get where you are, and it will take time to get where you want to be. Don't try and do it overnight. Real results will show up as symptoms of a way of being.

Steady on,

CH

Hey buddy,

Peanut butter is practically crack. Best to just not have it around. As a stepping stone, have you considered the methadone version: almond-only almond butter? Depending on if you live around a store that has a grinder, you can buy very small amounts and it's got no added sugar, whereas Peter Pan and crew are stacked up with it. I don't know if this kind of crutch would be a help or a hindrance.

I did try almond butter but it just isn't the same. Plus the almond butter still has a lot of calories for a relatively small serving. I think I am better off just trying to quit cold turkey. I wish I could get it out of the house all together but since that isn't possible I just need to learn some self control. 

Dustoff 

Human Rebel

14.3%
14.3%

7%
7%

Yesterday was an ok day. I was above my calorie count with 2066 calories for the day. I did good until right before bed time when I had some Girl Scout cookies. Today I will do better. I also stayed away from the peanut butter for the day. 

I made it to the gym as well to start the final week of my 4 week beginners lifting program. My lifting partner texted me he was sick just before I left the house but I went anyway without him. I did incline bench press, dumbbell bench press, dumbbell fly, Rope pushdowns, dumbbell kickbacks, skull crushers, seated and standing calf raises. I was pretty sore all day. 

• Like 1

Dustoff 

Human Rebel

14.3%
14.3%

7%
7%

Thanks for sharing, that would be awesome because I HATE EXCEL! :D

I´m a bass player, what´s your superpower?

"Small you are? Lift you must!" Master Broda, at the Dagobrah warrior bootcamp to his apprentice Luke Skylifter

"Let not the gains of your heart diminish the gains from your mind for the path of iron is long and full of hardship"  Book of Liftviticus ch23, v13

Success starts where excuses end! 

\m/ Be awesome!!! \m/

My DailyBattleLog:

\m/ Commitment on being awesome \m/

My Current Challenge:

Click me!!!

Yesterday was a good day. I had 1,888 calories for the day. Just slightly over my goal but I'm very happy with it. I stayed away from the peanut butter for another day. And I hit the gym in the morning before work. My lifting partner was back and we got in a great workout. We did shoulders and calves for the day, doing overhead dumbbell press, upright rows, dumbbell lat raises, and seated calf raises. It is the shortest workout we have had so far but we lifted heavy with minimal time between sets. My shoulders and calves are still sore today. 

• Like 1

Dustoff 

Human Rebel

14.3%
14.3%

7%
7%

It looks like you are off to a great start on this challenge.  I really envy those people who can hit the gym before work, but I can't do it.  I would be dragging all day.  Keep up the good work!

"Destiny is important, see, but people go wrong when they think it controls them. It's the other way around." - Terry Pratchett

Lift: 1 of 24                                             Eat Right: 1 of 42                              Stay Sane: 1 of 42   

Hey Dustoff, love your goal!  I was looking at your stats and noticed that our height is the same and I weighed 267 pounds at one point.  I decided it was enough but knew it would be a long road.  I started slow, walking every day and watching what I ate.  Before I knew it I was running short distances and decided I needed to start going to the gym.  It was the start of some great lifestyle choices!  Keep up the good work!

It looks like you are off to a great start on this challenge.  I really envy those people who can hit the gym before work, but I can't do it.  I would be dragging all day.  Keep up the good work!

Thanks, I wish I could wait until after work to get to the gym but I have four kids so that means very busy evenings. Early morning is the only time that works for me. It's been almost a month now for me and it is starting to become routine. I actually enjoy getting up and to the gym. It sets the pace for the rest of my day.

Hey Dustoff, love your goal!  I was looking at your stats and noticed that our height is the same and I weighed 267 pounds at one point.  I decided it was enough but knew it would be a long road.  I started slow, walking every day and watching what I ate.  Before I knew it I was running short distances and decided I needed to start going to the gym.  It was the start of some great lifestyle choices!  Keep up the good work!

My highest was 275 and it's been a long road to drop any of it. I completed a few challenges here in the past and made it down to 235 but that didn't last very long. My weight has been a constant struggle for me most of my adult life. I'm trying my hardest to make small changes that I can keep up indefinitely.

• Like 1

Dustoff 

Human Rebel

14.3%
14.3%

7%
7%

My highest was 275 and it's been a long road to drop any of it. I completed a few challenges here in the past and made it down to 235 but that didn't last very long. My weight has been a constant struggle for me most of my adult life. I'm trying my hardest to make small changes that I can keep up indefinitely.

I have struggled my whole life, always felt like that chubby kid then adult.  I dropped to 172 but it was too much, I don't think I looked well so I went to 180.  I was happy between 180 and 185 but I have allowed some bad habits to creep in again and find myself at 196 (198 one day).  I know what I need to do, now I just need to do it!   :)

• Like 1

Love the spreadsheet. I like your goals, are you using a particular weight training program?

For the past four weeks we have been using this program. Once upon a time I was the head coach for power lifting for the Special Olympics in my local area and I used a program very similar to that for new guys. It was great for teaching so when my lifting partner asked me if I knew of a beginners program we chose that. We finish that program tomorrow and are switching it up next week because my partner wants to add some cardio. So we are starting this program on Monday. It looks like it will be a bit rough but I left it up to him to pick our next months worth of workouts so I am going to suck it up and do the best I can. I can honestly say I am dreading Monday morning but looking forward to the challenge the next month will be.

• Like 1

Dustoff 

Human Rebel

14.3%
14.3%

7%
7%

Yesterday was an awesome day. I got in 1,738 calories for the day. I had a rest day so no gym time but it was great getting to sleep in for a day and let my muscles rest. The peanut butter ninja has not struck at all this week so I am winning that battle too. Overall it was an amazing day and today has already started out great as well. 

• Like 2

Dustoff 

Human Rebel

14.3%
14.3%

7%
7%

Yesterday started great but ended up kind of blah. Was pretty far over on my calorie count with 2,255 calories for the day. I made it to the gym in the morning and think I overdid it a bit. It was leg day for us so we did squats, leg press, leg extension, leg curls, and romanian deadlift. We upped the weight on every lift from what we had previously done and the first few lifts were 5 sets of 8 to 12. I was dead most of the day yesterday and felt like I was starving, hence the extra calories. I am still having some trouble walking today my legs are so unbelievably sore. I did manage to stay away from the peanut butter, which was hard since it's my go to on days where I feel like I'm starving. 

I made it into the gym this morning and that completes an entire month of making it to the gym and the completion of our lifting program. Onto more difficult workouts Monday morning at 6:30. It will be leg day plus 30 minutes of cardio. I expect to be dead the entire day. 

• Like 1

Dustoff 

Human Rebel

14.3%
14.3%

7%
7%

I made it to the gym in the morning and think I overdid it a bit. It was leg day for us so we did squats, leg press, leg extension, leg curls, and romanian deadlift. We upped the weight on every lift from what we had previously done and the first few lifts were 5 sets of 8 to 12. I was dead most of the day yesterday and felt like I was starving, hence the extra calories. I am still having some trouble walking today my legs are so unbelievably sore

That is a big day!  Not surprised your body was screaming for nutrients.  Not that it makes the hurt any better my legs are usually that sore for days after, I tell myself it's a good feeling and that the workout is working.  

• Like 1

Oh man, another person with an amazing spreadsheet. Way to go on all your progress so far!

• Like 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Well week one is done and it's time for an update. I went ahead and updated my tracking spreadsheet at the beginning of this thread. 

For my diet goal I get a C with an average daily calorie intake of 1,932 calories. 

For my workout goal I get an A, I made it to the gym everyday that my lifting plan called for.

For my peanut Butter goal I get a C. I had some peanut butter on Saturday but I measured it and only had one serving - that was tracked for my total calories for the day.

Overall I am happy with the first week. I am hoping I actually lose some weight/body fat this challenge. Both have held pretty steady for the first week. They didn't move much the last challenge either. Makes me wonder what I am getting wrong.

• Like 2

Dustoff 

Human Rebel

14.3%
14.3%

7%
7%