• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Shibara

Shibaras Challenge

Boring title, sorry, can't come up with something exciting now.

My basic goals are still the same: lose some weight, kick that darn lipedema in the behind (I had reason to woot a few days ago - I was able to walk farther than ever without being in pain!), get stronger and fitter, make myself comfortable in my ways of living.

To break it down for the next four weeks, my goals are:

- walk as often as possible - depends a little on the weather and my overall stress. Walking is a good stress relief, but it also takes some time, and sometimes I'm just not in the mood for it (these are often the days where I get the most out of it if I go for a walk, nevertheless)

- move that kettlebell again - hey, it doesn't take THAT long (I'm still very much a beginner, so my workouts are still rather short)

- take better care of my food - less calories, less carbs. Have been slacking a lot there lately!

Other goals include being on time at work (needs improvement again, I'm late almost every day, even if by only a few minutes, and that annoys me because it's just a few minutes. There must be a way to fix that!) - and getting a little stuff done at home (at the moment, it's rather messy and although I have good reasons for not having done basic house cleaning stuff it's worse now because I have to fix even more; I'd like to establish some kind of cleaning routine one day, but that's not the main focus during this challenge).

So...

Goal 1 - Food: stay below 2000 kcal/day and below 100 g carbs/day (or at least as close as possible). I was thinking about adding "no sweets" but I'm not sure if I'm up for it now (especially since there is a "we need to talk"-talk coming up next weekend). But as sweets do have a lot of carbs, I usually restrict them anyways, most of the time.

Goal 2 - Move that body: weather permitting, take a walk every day. Even if it's a short one. Lunch break doesn't count, I'm doing that anyway. It's bright enough again in the evenings. In addition, place the kettlebell back in the middle of the room, try to get a set of lifts and swings in every day (yes, the "try" is very vague; I'll put a daily back into HabitRPG and will see how often I can check that off). Bonus: get swimming on most of the weekends. I've started going for a swim on Saturdays and it feels good, but on some Sats other things get in the way, so I'll just do my best there. At least I have started! And of course, continue to attend spear lessons. Last Thursday I had to cancel. Didn't feel good (and my teacher reinforced my bad conscience :( ) but was necessary. Too much to do with doctor's appointments, theater rehearsal and helping someone get a new car/being the second driver.

That's a lot of "if possible" and "try" and not all that specific, but that's the best I can do today. I'm in a bad mood and probably will be for some time, yet I'll do my best to do something for me. That's it.

• Like 1

I really have a craving for pasta salad at the moment. I do have gluten free pasta at home, but making the salad requires time and other ingredients I have troubles with. And of course, pasta brings a lot of carbs. Still, they are a comfort food (noodles with meaty tomato sauce and gooey cheese sprinkled on top - love that! Can't do it really often, don't do well with tomatoes... at least I found a good replacement for cheese. Tastes good, sadly is expensive), and today is a day where I want to hole up under my blanket, cry a little and get some comfort - if not from an actual person, at least food should do that job! But that's not the way to loose weight, so let's hope I'll be able to stick to my broccoli soup. That's tasty, too. It's just... not noodles.

• Like 1

I was a good girl. I made my broccoli soup, it was pleasing.

Afterwards I had the last bit of ice cream... that kicked me over my carb goal, but I'm still below 2000 kcal. Tomorrow is the 1st of a new month; my goal for this year was to lose 1 kg per month. Let's see if I did well there.

I also spent some money: I finally bought "Paleo Leap" 30 days transformation (they have special offer, 50 % off, only today) - maybe that'll help me making good food choices.

In addition, I bought a beautiful hair stick. I've had my eyes on that since New Year, and two weeks ago I asked the shop owner if she would reserve that stick a little longer until I'm getting paid. She agreed, and now the stick is mine. I've wanted one of these for more than two years, but they are expensive. Money is a big problem for me (or rather the lack of ;) ), but I feel I needed something pretty. It's been some time since I bought from that Etsy store (it's my favourite, have been ordering since I started growing my hair in 2009)

I really have a craving for pasta salad at the moment. I do have gluten free pasta at home, but making the salad requires time and other ingredients I have troubles with. And of course, pasta brings a lot of carbs. Still, they are a comfort food (noodles with meaty tomato sauce and gooey cheese sprinkled on top - love that! Can't do it really often, don't do well with tomatoes... at least I found a good replacement for cheese. Tastes good, sadly is expensive), and today is a day where I want to hole up under my blanket, cry a little and get some comfort - if not from an actual person, at least food should do that job! But that's not the way to loose weight, so let's hope I'll be able to stick to my broccoli soup. That's tasty, too. It's just... not noodles.

Have you tried spaghetti squash or zoodles? I just take zucchini, cut them in thin strips, quick toss in the pan with some oil, add sauce. 

• Like 1

Have you tried spaghetti squash or zoodles? I just take zucchini, cut them in thin strips, quick toss in the pan with some oil, add sauce. 

This is good advice.

Also, for what it's worth, watching the overall amount of energy you take in is more important than watching where it comes from. I mean, if you can keep the carbs down, it will be helpful to you. Actually, it would be ideal. But, if it goes high, it goes high. As long as your overall intake is low, it will mitigate the harm done and everything will even out.

Sounds like, physically, you're doing something very similar to Greasing the Groove. It's not a bad way to do things at all... just remember to do it. :)

Toshimi, thanks for reminding me of zoodles! It's difficult to get spaghetti squash over here (they are in season only a couple of month in autumn, and even then not every store carries them - too bad, I like all kinds of squash/pumpkin!), but zucchini is easy. I like them, although they are not "real" noodles, so today I came home after work, tired an in an overall "meh" mood. Sat down a little, and then decided to get up again, take a good long walk, buy one zucchini, cut it up and have it with sauce. Almost satisfied my cravings :) Downside: despite taking an anti-histamine pill I can feel the tomato sauce doing its thing to me *sigh*

And while everything was cooking (I like my zoodles a little soft and toss them into the sauce for a few minutes before serving) I swung my kettlebell. Yay!

Calories... I had to guestimate, this morning our boss brought some delicacies from his visit to Austria, some venison salami and other sausages and special ham (and Apfelstrudel, a special kind of apple pastry, that apparently was really good. Smelled divine!). I had some sausage but have no idea how much calories (or how much weight) that had, but give or take a few... doesn't matter that much in such rare cases. Usually I weigh most of my food, or in cases of apples, bell peppers or carrots I've become rather good at guessing, or I buy something prepackaged and do the math, so the occasions where I'm really clueless are rare. I guess I'm a little over 2000, though, my lunch was rather "costly" (in terms of calories).

After my zoodle dinner I added a little cake that needed to go (bought that a few days ago at a reduced price because the "best before"-date was approaching), so I'm definitely over 100 g/carbs, but I'm mostly with you, Kishi - the total energy is important. Still, I'd like to keep that carbs in check, at least in the long run. Better luck tomorrow :)

Annnnnd: today at the 1st I was able to drop another kilogram. Barely, but the scale was friendly. Forward to the next one :)

I DO! I DO! And my back muscles scream!

Not while doing the swings, but on the next day I'm a little sore. Same goes for the shoulders. It's not too bad, though. Today I had a rest day, nevertheless (I really do very little with the bell, I'm almost a little ashamed; I could probably do a little more, but at the moment I just want to ease into the habit and "get it done" in only about two minutes fits the bill). Its a mostly good feeling, though :)

Overall I'm doing... not great, but not that bad, either. Next few days bf will come over and, amongst other stuff, we'll have a talk. Scares me. Probably won't do a lot regarding excercise and food watch, but it's only a few days, I don't really care. Will be back with the challenge next week.

Uh oh. Sounds like a bad talk. Good luck!

Also, glad to hear that the bell is doing its thing and not beating you up too badly. :D

I think it's better to do a small workout regularly than doing a big one every two weeks. I'm not good at handling DOMS. They sometimes get me to postpone my next workout and than it doesn't become a habit. So don't belittle your small workouts.

And like Kishi said, good luck. I hope you can have a good time with your bf as well.

Thanks for your good wishes :) It helped, the talk was not as bad as I had feared (honestly, I thought he would quit and I was extremely upset; we haven't completely figured out things, but at least it's mostly okay for now). We had some fun, too (and went a little overboard with food and drinks, but not as much as we could have. My weight has skyrocketed nevertheless - it's mostly water weight, but it's annoying. I guess I don't do that well with the homones I've had to take for the past few weeks, will probably stop taking them in two weeks, the desired effect is not as strong as hoped and the side effects are not so much fun).

I'm still doing reasonably well with the excercise. Could swing the bell more often, though, but I'm doing okay with walking. The weather clearing up helps a lot with that.

• Like 1

I'm still doing reasonably well with the excercise. Could swing the bell more often, though, but I'm doing okay with walking. The weather clearing up helps a lot with that.

I really hope spring finally arrived. The changing weather patterns are so annoying. Really not looking forward to April.

Good that you two could figure out a few things. You mentioned that it was complicated last year. And don't work yourself up about the misstep. Dust off and keep going. The water will hopefully go again, when you stick to your diet.

Water is gone again :) Finally. That hurt this time!

Yeah, it's complicated. Basically one guy, two girls, and a child. Nobody wants to hurt the others, so everyone is as gentle as possible which is difficult. Let's leave it at that, this gives you just a very basic idea ^^

I just had a funny experience. I'm not completely healthy, caught a bug or something and ran a slight fever yesterday. Earlier today I went grocery shopping and only noticed when I arrived home that I had forgotten some stuff. Instead of taking the car back to the bigger store I decided to walk to the closer one which is next to the park I usually do my walking. My body was like "take it easy, just a very short trip, please"... and before I had really noticed I was on my regular way through the park. With my body complaining "I said take it easy, now you're sweating and it's cold and you'll be miserable once you're home!" I really had to stop myself hard from doing the usual walk and finishing with the store (I do that occasionally), I even caught myself thinking "well, that's not too bad, let's see if I can walk up to the next crossroads at least!" It was almost difficult to put a stop to my walking :lol:

Still, I can feel I almost overdid it and I'm glad I'm back home. Yet I feel a little... proud, or something. Walking has become so easy and the habit really deeply ingrained. That counts as a success! :)

• Like 1

That is definitely a success!  A lot of people fall down on their habits when they're sick, or need to make a little exception for some reason, and it's hard to know where the exception stops.   Pushing through it, and especially doing it without even thinking about it, is a huge win.

HAHAHAHAHA. That is awesome. I love it! The fact that walking helps to bolster immunity just makes it all the sweeter. Very good!

Also, yeah, complicated relationships. I've had to watch that kind of thing play out before. I do not envy you your place in all of that. I wish you wisdom and luck. You gon' need it.

Hum. Something went wrong with the notifications again. I never saw your posts! :( But then, I was not here that much, either...

Kettlebelling did not go that well. Walking neither. I did walk more than in January, but not by much. But the weather is finally clearing up, we had our switch to DST, now I'm looking forward to more walking in the evenings.

One major thing happened during the past two weeks: I had a new idea for my diet, and it seems that it might be working. I'm still reluctant to celebrate, it's only been a few days, though. Seems feasible. I'll see how I do and then report.

For April, I will create a new challenge with only very few and very basic goals. Time to renew and reinforce some! :)