Anim Starts Paying Attention to What He's Doing

Anim07734

Anim surveyed the area with some surprise.  It had been too long since he had truly looked at his surroundings.

He could remember victories and pitfall along the way, but with no real certainty of when or where they had occurred.  Simply put: he had fallen into a pattern and let it carry him where it wanted.  But now it was time to take back control of his path.

Goals:

At least 5 "workouts" a week, options include:

-dedicated strength work with skill practice (currently free handstands), up to 3 per week

-HIIT/sprints, up to 2 per week

-Crossfit class, at least 1 per week

-Strenuous yard work or remodeling, up to 1 per week

-Office sports PT

Improve flexibility:  stretch after EVERY workout

Cook dinner:  at least once a week, and include leftovers (mmm, leftovers...)

Complete projects, at least 3, currently in progress:

-Collect and frame family pictures

-Living room remodel

-Surround-sound install

-Wall patches and painting

-Backyard cleanup

-Front flowerbed remodel and repotting

-Bolt Action army assembly (miniatures)

-DnD miniature painting

-Grifter costume

-Mandolorian helmet (custom)

-Prince Hans coat

-Nightcrawler tail Mk4

• Like 2

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

I've got a couple friends who are really into it, so I joined their box.  It's a good group and introduces me to new exercises, though most of the time I just go to the local park/PT area/running trail on my way home from work.

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

I've had periods of curiosity about crossfit but since I prefer high weight/low volume training, I think I would end up hating it.  So much cardio...... the only running I do is running AWAY from cardio............................. :P

You are powerful, sir.

I wish I had a way to train silks at random - I have to say that the worst thing about my chosen sport is the ridiculous equipment needed that I have to go to very specific places at very specific times to use.  Your way is much less stressful.

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

So far so good.  Strength workout yesterday (circuit of 4 uneven pushups, 2 archer pullups, 4 shrimp squats, 2 windshield wipers; made it almost 4 rounds before failing on my last shrimp squat) and yardwork today (took an hour to get one rose dug up and put in a pot to move to the front yard...).  Still haven't cooked yet, but I've got everything I need.

Costumes you say?

21236923049_a7255da607.jpg

That's my Mk1.5 tail from Dragoncon last year, after the Mk3 failed horribly.  Planning to reattempt for this coming year (ultimate goal is to make it robotic, but that's still a couple iterations away).

22142304424_7d0807400f.jpg

Prince Hans, also from last Dragoncon.  I need to adjust the coat so it fits better and add the pattern on the back (even though you only see it in 3 scenes...)

Grifter and the custom Mandolorian stuff are for my brother.

• Like 3

So far so good.  Strength workout yesterday (circuit of 4 uneven pushups, 2 archer pullups, 4 shrimp squats, 2 windshield wipers; made it almost 4 rounds before failing on my last shrimp squat) and yardwork today (took an hour to get one rose dug up and put in a pot to move to the front yard...).  Still haven't cooked yet, but I've got everything I need.

Costumes you say?

21236923049_a7255da607.jpg

That's my Mk1.5 tail from Dragoncon last year, after the Mk3 failed horribly.  Planning to reattempt for this coming year (ultimate goal is to make it robotic, but that's still a couple iterations away).

22142304424_7d0807400f.jpg

Prince Hans, also from last Dragoncon.  I need to adjust the coat so it fits better and add the pattern on the back (even though you only see it in 3 scenes...)

Grifter and the custom Mandolorian stuff are for my brother.

These are FREAKING AWESOME.  I wish I had the time to commit to learning how to costume, but I always end up chasing some other shiny thing instead.... lol!

I feel like I could do a fairly believable Disney princess....................................

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

I'm using the current mini-challenge to plan my workouts, so you can find tutorials for everything here.

Like everything else, costuming is just a question of practice.  For Nightcrawler, that's the second jumpsuit (first didn't wash well, so ew), second boots and gloves (already looking to upgrade), third or fourth set of ears, and a revised version of an earlier tail after the plan completely failed.  For Hans, that's my second coat using that pattern (with changes for the collar, cuffs, and tails), third vest, and fourth or fifth pair of pants; and I still managed to screw something up on all of them.  But with some creativity and enough safety pins, I can hide most of my errors. :playful:

My favorite part of making the costumes is how many different skills I have to use and develop to get everything to work together.  My favorite part of wearing the costume is getting into character and really acting out.  As Nightcrawler, I'll run around on all-fours and perch on random items.

Disney princesses are getting easier to make, since they've started licensing the patterns.  You can find a lot of them at Joann's.  I keep trying to convince my sister to do a Merida costume, since her hair would be perfect.

Also, made it to CF today: 12min AMRAP of 6HSPU, 8pistols, 10pullups.  I only made it 2 rounds before my wrists went "nope" ...

• Like 3

Disney princesses are getting easier to make, since they've started licensing the patterns.  You can find a lot of them at Joann's.  I keep trying to convince my sister to do a Merida costume, since her hair would be perfect.

But that involves sewing. :P  I lack skill in this.  I also lack a sewing machine.................

Ah well, maybe someday!

• Like 1

🎪current challenge🎪

instagram | goodreads

Most cities have somewhere you can rent sewing machines by the hour; the one I used during college even had professionals there to offer advice; if you can't find one to borrow.  And you'd be surprised how easy most patterns are to follow; just follow the lines (the only trick is figuring out which lines to cut and which to sew :playful: ).  Start with Simplicity or McCall's for a gentler learning curve.  Both have Disney princess style dresses, though I want to say it's only Simplicity with the actual licensed ones.

Took yesterday as a rest day to avoid storms, and used the time to cook dinner, plus leftovers for 2 meals.  Today was sports PT; I know it was a good game because I skinned my knee the second time I fell trying to make a play. :playful: Also made progress patching walls, prepping for surround-sound install, and working on Grifter's coat.

I also picked up stuff to make a green vest for St Patrick's Day, since it's hard to justify NOT dressing as a leprechaun with my giant ginger beard.  Plus, I already own a top hat.  Not counting it as a project for this challenge, since I'm supposed to be finishing projects, not starting new ones.  Pictures to come, assuming I finish it in time.

• Like 2

Weekly summary (even though it's late)- 4 workouts, since I'm not going to count yardwork more than once; stretched after both real workouts; cooked once, and finished the leftovers Monday; finished the wall patches (still need to paint), almost done with Grifter's coat, and making progress on the living room and surround sound (related projects).

Take aways: going to implement an "extra workouts count for half" rule so I have a chance of catching up with my goal; depending on how things go this week, I may choose to count additional yardwork for half as well, so I have some incentive to work on it.  The yard/house projects aren't nearly as strenuous as my normal workouts, so I don't want to replace those though.  Need to better define the scope of some of my projects: my wall patches project is now leading into painting 3 different rooms, which is low priority at the moment, so when I finish one of the walls to test the paint color, I'll call that project complete; I'm going to divide the Grifter costume into two projects, the first will be complete when I finish the coat, the second will involve modding a pair of airsoft pistols and requires different supplies and tools.

So far this week, I've done a CF workout (800m run, 60 air squats, 40 situps, 20 hand release pushups, 10 pullups in 10:22) and because I was still sore, I did a relatively easy workout yesterday of 5x 10 burpee pullups.  Stretched after both.

Probably going to do the same today in hopes of getting my numbers in before the mini gets scored, then do some foam rolling to help recover for a real workout tomorrow.

• Like 2

Take aways: going to implement an "extra workouts count for half" rule so I have a chance of catching up with my goal; depending on how things go this week, I may choose to count additional yardwork for half as well, so I have some incentive to work on it.

I'm going to divide the Grifter costume into two projects, the first will be complete when I finish the coat, the second will involve modding a pair of airsoft pistols and requires different supplies and tools.

I like your extra workout idea! Being able to catch up is important - nothing worse than sitting there like, well I can't meet my goal no matter what I do so why try?

I'm expecting pictures when you finish your costume projects!! =) 

Level 1 Half-elf Assassin

STR 2 | DEX 3 | STA 1 | CON 1 | WIS 2 | CHA 1

'From flabby geek to Sheik and Mystique'

Instagram: LJaybirdfly

Current Challenge:

Weekly summary:  Total of 5 workouts for the week (random housework Sunday wasn't strenuous but lasted most of the day, so I'll count it); kept up on stretching, though I probably should have done more; cooked on Thursday, still need to finish leftovers; finished the Grifter coat (pictures later) and made progress on the living room (largest wall is now painted and ready for things to be mounted, which will clear the next wall for painting).

I'm also excited about getting an estimate on new windows this Friday, which sounds disappointingly adult.  I bought the house because I needed room for more toys, and I want to build a Ninja Warrior course in the backyard, and it has an awesome climbing tree; none of this should be making me feel like an adult...

I get very excited about adulting.  New appliances!  Clean kitchen!  OMG NEW PILLOWS???  Seriously glee-inducing.  So I feel you window joy.  Embrace it instead of being disappointed. ;)

🎪current challenge🎪

instagram | goodreads

Well my current windows were installed when the house was built in the late '60's, so there are numerous benefits to replacing them.  I'm particularly looking forward to having fewer bugs in the house and lower A/C bills during the summer (which means more money for toys :playful: ).  At this point, I'm just hoping my tax return will cover most of the cost. 

Still sounding too much like an adult, so I'm also looking forward to the year when my tax return buys a Ninja Warrior obstacle...  That feels better.

• Like 1

Four workouts so far this week, and getting ready to go crawl around my attic installing speaker wire for the last one.  Turns out I can't afford more than 2 windows, so I'm probably going to go for new attic insulation and start saving for windows next year.

New forums were jarring at first, but I can get used to the look.  The only thing really bugging me now is how useless the "content I follow" has become, since that was how I kept up with everything.  I'll have to spend some time later to figure out if there's an alternative or not.

And I still owe pictures, so don't let me forget. :playful:

Only counting 4 workouts last week.  I could probably count the pistols I did during the last hour of the mini as a second workout on Friday, but I spent too much time debating it.

Cooking was for an Easter pot luck on Sunday, so I don't have to eat an entire 10# ham and 5# of mashed potatoes by myself. :witless:

Challenge Summary:

At least 5 "workouts" a week:

18/20 - missed a workout the first week and the last week, but kept busy with projects that weren't quite strenuous or long enough to count.  So I'm going to call this a good, realistic goal to keep next challenge.

Improve flexibility:

Check - I'm getting pretty consistent about stretching after a real workout (I don't stretch after house work, even if I count it as a "workout" for exercise purposes), and am definitely seeing slow progress.  I'll probably come up with a new goal for next challenge, and see how well this habit sticks without focusing on it as much.

Cook dinner

4/4 - cooking got later in the week each time, but still happened, so good enough.  I'll probably skip cooking this next week and work on finishing leftovers before I go on vacation.  This seems to be another good goal that I'll stick with for a while, maybe try to narrow it down some and pick a day to have food cooked by.

Complete projects, 4/3 complete, with qualifications:

-Living room remodel - finished the portion I intended (repainting and mounting the TV on the wall) plus moved my cable drop and ran Ethernet through the house; still more to do before the room is finished how I want,  but that's always the case

-Surround-sound install - I'm calling this one done as well, though I didn't finish everything I originally intended; installation on the rear speakers became a project in it's own right when I realized that my roofline prevents attic access to the wall I planned to run the wires through, but the front speakers are set and the system sounds great, so good enough for now

-Wall patches and painting - Another project I'm calling complete, though I really should have scoped it better; removed the  broken 1970's intercom and patched all the holes it left, but only repainted in the rooms that have recently been painted; repainting the other rooms will be a separate project later on (maybe next challenge)

-Front flowerbed remodel and repotting - 1/2 complete in that I repotted everything that needed more space, but other than tearing up flowerbeds to get the dirt for potting, I didn't do any actual remodel work

-Bolt Action army assembly (miniatures) - about 2/3 complete on assembly, shouldn't take too much longer to finish, I just have to work up the motivation to do so

-Grifter costume - completed the coat and shoulder harness rig, which was the (unspecified) scope of this project; I still need to customize a pair of airsoft pistols, but that will be it's own project

Still need to get pictures, hopefully I'll remember this week.