Chelkie Is Off To The Races

Chelkie

First half marathon of the season in t-5 days!

If anyone is interested here is the race i'm running: http://www.lakesammamishhalf.com/

Hopefully I won't look like this crossing the finish line

Q4ah52WMLegA8.gif

Or This

TtAo9puKRyBVu.gif

Preferably More Like This:

fJdpdS5jaDje8.gif

The Joy, The Excitement, The Adorableness!

With the way this month is scheduled, i'm going to need to have a pretty relaxed challenge. I'm taking two out of state trips, a race, and making a lot of important wedding decisions this month (and getting engagement photos done, eek!)

So without further ado:

Goal One: Figure Out New Running Schedule

The first week of the challenge i'm having a really light running schedule, two easy one hour long runs and one short half hour run the day before my race to figure out final running gear in Seattle. The second week will also be a bit of a recovery week but i'd like to put in at least 15-20 miles. After that I need to sort out my next racing goals and come up with a new training calendar. 

Goal Two: Study for CSOP

Despite being busy I still need to really focus on this goal, 2.5 months until my exam and I still have a whole ton of studying left to do. 

Goal Three: Do Upper Body Workout 3x a Week

I'm starting to see some serious muscular changes in my legs from all this running, but my arms/back/core are getting left behind. I'd like to knock out a bodyweight routine for my upper body at least three times a week, but hopefully more. 

Starting Stats:

Weigh: 124.1

V02 max (estimate): 29.3

Body Fat (estimate) 26%

Waist: 28

Hips: 35

Arm: 11 

Thigh: 22 

Calf: 14

Butt: 38

Lost about half an inch on most of my body parts last month, which isn't huge for a whole month but at least it's going in the right direction!

• Like 1

Level 11 - World's Smallest Norn

Challenges: | Current |11 |10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 

Does anyone else find the new NF Characters quest lists to be unbelievably aggravating sometimes? You can't adjust them, when you delete things it takes the points away so you can't clean up anything, you can't change the order... 

Maybe it's just that it's a Monday.

Fellow engaged runner? Hells yeah I'm following!

And yeah, the quest lists are pretty aggravating; I'd love to use it for smaller goals (like my challenge goals so I can gain exp from them!) but it's too much of a hassle. For now, it's short lists of quests for long term things. I hope they keep improving on it, it's a really cool concept!

MyFitnessPal

Woohoo! Someone else who feels my pain!

My Wedding tasks this month are:

Fly to Seattle Try on wedding dresses - maybe buy one?

Fly to Oregon to Tour Venue

Set Final Date & put down deposit (hoping for May 28, 2017)

Get engagement photos done/test out wedding makeup lady & put down deposits

Meet potential vendors

It's amazing how many little tasks there are to do that you had no idea were a thing before. 

GOOD LUCK ON YOUR RACE!

(not sorry for caps. :))

I'm also excited to follow along with your strength training goals. You've built up a great routine with the running and I expect adding that in will help you to accomplish even more!

Hopefully I won't look like this crossing the finish line

Q4ah52WMLegA8.gif

Lost about half an inch on most of my body parts last month, which isn't huge for a whole month but at least it's going in the right direction!

I will offer that, if I had to fall I would hope to have the presence of mind and the sense of humor to get in a few worms...

Does anyone else find the new NF Characters quest lists to be unbelievably aggravating sometimes? You can't adjust them, when you delete things it takes the points away so you can't clean up anything, you can't change the order... 

Maybe it's just that it's a Monday.

Meh, I looked at that character sheet and thought it looked like a lot to maintain and kind of just OK. Thanks for validating my laziness!

It's amazing how many little tasks there are to do that you had no idea were a thing before. 

I got lucky and was working a really really easy desk job when I was engaged. I could accomplish my work in about 4 hours per week but was required to be there for 40 hours. I got a lot of planning accomplished for both the wedding and the honeymoon that way.

tinkerer
Level 14 Elven Blacksmith

current challenge - yearlong quest

14 13 12 11 10 9.1 9.0 8 7 6 5 4,2 4.1 4.0 3 2 1

Good luck on your race, for sure! I can feel the excitement.

Safe travels, too. I see you're doing pretty much the reverse of what I did in January. I hope the weather is better for you. Anyway, you should have a great time. Don't let the planning get stressful – you've got a lot of time still. Enjoy all the things!

Level 11 Sea Dragon

| Current Challenge: |

| Nov '16 | Sept/Oct '16 | Aug/Sep '16 | July/Aug '16 | June/July '16 | May '16 |

| Apr '16 | Mar '16 | Feb '16 | Jan '16 | Nov/Dec '15 |

why don't we have you on the scout calendar?! hmmm ... 

[edit] and you're on the calendar! 

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22
                               #23 #24 #25 #26 #27 #28 #29 #30 #31 #32 #33 #34 #35 #36 #37 
Current Challenge : # 38 Strickland5 respawns

tinkerer - Haha I suppose your right, why pick yourself back up when you can bust out into some dance moves to divert the attention from your fall. That is awesome, did you actually do a lot of the planning vs your fiance? I'm having a hard time convincing mine to do anything, he's already been married once before so he's wedding planninged out. 

SaltyDragon - Thank you! Yeah :P You went from the Pacific Northwest to Alaska and i'm going from Alaska to the Pacific Northwest. I think i'm getting the better deal, the amount of slush and ice is driving me bonkers, can't wait to escape for a bit. Though being out on the bering sea I doubt you'll get much chance to be miserable in the slush. 

Strickland5 - Oh, I forgot! I know I put my October 2015 race on the calendar but I think I forgot to update it with 2016 races. 

So I went "running" yesterday, but I put it in air quotes because about 70% of the time I was ice skating and 30% of the time I was wading. Am trying to break in my new shoes still and I really regretted not wearing my icebugs. These new shoes definitely don't have as much traction as my old Brooks did either.

• Like 1

I helped out where I could. I had to do the at-work planning via email. There were some decisions (flowers) which I was 100% not involved with. Rather than rent a venue, we spent that part of our budget building an outdoor dance floor and a grassy clearing in the woods (at her Mom's property). So I was in charge of the construction budget, brush cutter rental, etc. We went on our honeymoon later that year, too, so there was planning involved with that. And little things like renting a sound system and building a database of invitees.

tinkerer

I helped out where I could. I had to do the at-work planning via email. There were some decisions (flowers) which I was 100% not involved with. Rather than rent a venue, we spent that part of our budget building an outdoor dance floor and a grassy clearing in the woods (at her Mom's property). So I was in charge of the construction budget, brush cutter rental, etc. We went on our honeymoon later that year, too, so there was planning involved with that. And little things like renting a sound system and building a database of invitees.

That is an awesome idea for a venue! My friend recently got married in a pole barn on her parents property, I wish my family had something similar we could use. That does sound more like a man's contribution to wedding planning though :P construction, brush cutters and vacation. 

Alright I ran my last easy run of the week, which leaves one short little pre race run to test out race gear. Leaving tomorrow afternoon for Seattle so this will probably be my last update until after my race, so wish me luck! 

The goal is under 2 hours 13 minutes, which is around a 10 minute mile pace. 

• Like 1

0c16749a-d277-498b-8619-fc16cd35cca2.jpg

Added a new medal to my wall today!

The race went great and I finished with the time 2:11:22 which beats my personal best by 2 minutes and my last race time by 14 minutes!

I'd say the winter training definitely helped!

• Like 1

w00T!

giphy.gif

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22
                               #23 #24 #25 #26 #27 #28 #29 #30 #31 #32 #33 #34 #35 #36 #37 
Current Challenge : # 38 Strickland5 respawns

Thanks Everyone! :D

It was definitely a nice reassurance that what i'm doing in training is pretty solid. It was also really motivating to want to do more and be better :P I hateeeeee the feeling of people passing me in races, and though I finished in the top 45% of the race, that's still a lot of people zipping by me. 

Now that the race is done it's time to rethink my strategies and figure out this whole not really off season but not really race training schedule. I've got 14 weeks until the first half marathon i'm running here in Alaska. Or at least that's what i'm training for, I might be moving to Nevada before then, but that's still really up in the air. So, I'll train with that as a goal, and if I do move before then, I'm sure Nevada or the surrounding states will have something going around the same time.

With it being 14 weeks out I think i'll drop my intervals day again but keep the tempo run and just focus on upping my weekly mileage. So the new training schedule will be 1 tempo run (1 hours), 3 easy runs (1 hour each for right now) and 1 long run. I think i'll set my long run now at just 2 hours instead of going for a specific mileage, and see how that goes. When I get in closer to the race, probably 8 weeks i'll start focusing more on running specific length long runs, and at 6 weeks add my intervals back in. 

I fully expect the previous small gains i've been getting in the distance in my timed runs and the speed in my tempo runs to continue, so this will effect my overall weekly mileage. If i'm not getting close to 35 miles a week with this above plan I might modify it a bit again. 

That's running though, always tweaking something!

Way to go! Congrats on the medal, the PR, and having all of your training pay off. I'm not sure which of those merits the most excitement.

Why are you planning to drop the intervals? Is it an intensity of training thing, a time thing, or something else altogether? I don't really know anything about distance training so I'm only asking for education not because I know what is the right approach.

tinkerer

tinkerer - Thanks! I'm not sure either, I think the PR makes me the happiest because I really had to dig deep this race. Haha my race mile splits on Garmin really tell the whole story. 

1              10:23

2              9:40

3              9:44

4              9:29

5              9:54

6              9:55

7             9:58

8              10:07    

9              10:21    

10           10:04    

11           10:15

12           10:06     

13           10:02

Around Mile 8 I bonked a bit, started losing steam and dear lord mile 9 I wanted to die but I pushed it out to finish relatively strong. I think if I really suck it up and do more consistent long runs i'll perform better in races. With most of my runs during the week around 5-6 miles and being not as diligent doing the long runs, I definitely wasn't as mentally prepared for the last half of the race. 

I'm not sure it's the right approach really either, but from the research i've done the benefit you get from speedwork vs the likelihood of burn out and injury goes over the tipping point around 4-6 weeks. I'm still doing my tempo runs every week though, which are psuedo speek work. 

Bravo on the race and PR! I know the regrets of not being diligent on the long runs. Really killed me at right about mile 9 too. But way to turn it around for the last 3!

Tiny keyboard, clumsy fingers. Blame tapatalk.

Chapter 25: Theophilus is Mostly Done

Volume 1: Meanderings (2015 - 2020): 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23

Volume 2: The Bar and the Bellwether (2021): 24 | 25

"May your curse in life be that your hard work is constantly mistaken for talent."

Around Mile 8 I bonked a bit, started losing steam and dear lord mile 9 I wanted to die but I pushed it out to finish relatively strong. I think if I really suck it up and do more consistent long runs i'll perform better in races. With most of my runs during the week around 5-6 miles and being not as diligent doing the long runs, I definitely wasn't as mentally prepared for the last half of the race. 

I'm not sure it's the right approach really either, but from the research i've done the benefit you get from speedwork vs the likelihood of burn out and injury goes over the tipping point around 4-6 weeks. I'm still doing my tempo runs every week though, which are psuedo speek work. 

I think if you had chosen to tell us that your splits indicate how great and consistent of a race you had run I would have believed that too! :) Nice job on the strong finish despite the "death feelings".

That makes sense regarding the speed work. When you put it that way, it's similar to the training program I'm doing where after an 8 week max-strength building section the focus has shifted to muscle endurance training.

tinkerer

I think if you had chosen to tell us that your splits indicate how great and consistent of a race you had run I would have believed that too! :) Nice job on the strong finish despite the "death feelings".

I agree. Losing less than 30 sec off your pace isn't much of a bonk, and you were never more than a minute off your fastest split. Awesome!

Level 11 Sea Dragon

| Current Challenge: |

| Nov '16 | Sept/Oct '16 | Aug/Sep '16 | July/Aug '16 | June/July '16 | May '16 |

| Apr '16 | Mar '16 | Feb '16 | Jan '16 | Nov/Dec '15 |

I guess it's different looking from the outside, it's easier to be critical of oneself. :P I see that one minute difference and can remember the feeling of looking at my watch and seeing the numbers get slowerrr and slowerrrr, and being like legs, damn you! work!

I must admit i've been a bit of bum this week. Been up to my eyeballs in wedding and work stuff and have being eating pretty poorly and have only run once. I'm being pretty easy on myself though, I figure a week of rest probably isn't the worst thing ever. I'll start up my regularly scheduled programming next week and get back into training mode. 

I'm being pretty easy on myself though, I figure a week of rest probably isn't the worst thing ever. I'll start up my regularly scheduled programming next week and get back into training mode. 

Rest is a good thing...but I'm also excited for the next episode of "Against the Odds: Running in Alaska in the Winter."

tinkerer