[Mekong] Working On Her Fitness (You're My Witness)

Mekong

Mega Quest: My 2016 theme is "Opportunity favors the prepared."  I'm in a better position to pursue a career opportunity when I maintain my network and resume and take time to build my skills.  I'm in a better position to go on an amazing last-minute hiking trip if I'm already active and working on being fit.  Sure, it's nice to dream about moving to Germany, but it's a lot more likely if I speak the language (classes started in January).  And in general, luck seems more likely to come my way when I'm keeping myself happy, healthy, and fulfilled via self care and pursuing my interests.  I want the abilities behind me to say yes when I want.  And if the last few years are anything to go on, fortune does not seem to favor the person that spends hours everyday staring at her phone or the TV.  I am planning on short monthly goals with overarching fitness/career/self-improvement and self care themes throughout the year. 

March is going to be all about incorporating activity in my daily routine.  This was part of January's 'Back to Basics' goals and then February's 'Shore up on January's Weaknesses' goals, and I'm still blowing it, so that's all March is going to focus on. 

Screen-Shot-2014-10-23-at-9.03.24-AM.png

1. Daily anything active.  A jog, a walk, lifting, body weight circuit, foam rolling, yoga, 5 minutes of burpees in a conference room, sex that isn't missionary, I don't care.  The point is to be intentional with it and be aware of how active/inactive I am in my normal daily life.

2.  Weekly slight effort.  Make it to the gym at least twice a week.  This should be easy- I was going about 4x a week in January, but February brought a lot of travel, events, work busyness, and house guests.  I think I'll be back at it 4x a week once my dad heads back home this Thursday and my sewing class takes a break after this week, but I'm changing around my work schedule this week and we'll see how that works.

3.  Practically trying.  Go on at least 2 hikes/active adventures this month.  My last chance before Phoenix turns into an inferno hellscape until November.  Actually, it was 87 today so I may have already missed my window.  Northward I may go, Flagstaff Ho.

Life Quests: Work is going to be busy so I'm reserving most of my energy for that.  Keep studying German.  Read the book club book (The Circle by Dave Eggers).  Design a pattern for and make a messenger bag for sewing class. 

Other considerations: Anniversary this week so possible planned diet chaos.  Probably at least one weekend trip.  Eating habits remain decent, but tracking calories has been a total bust so I'm thinking of getting really boring and putting together a 'perfect day' menu and then eating it 5x a week.  That leaves 2 days to give myself a break from the monotony and they can be my zag days in a zig-zag eating pattern.  My work schedule is tentatively 6:30-14:30 now, so we'll see how that goes.  Theoretically, it means I'm not going to work during peak traffic times and should give me back 5 hours a week I'm not sitting in my car contemplating hari kari.  But I meet people at the gym at 19:00 most days, which cuts close to bedtime if I want 8 hours, and in another month I'll be doing the dog park that late too because it'll be too hot to do it earlier.  So I'm toying with the idea of coming home, getting a full REM nap 1-2 hours, doing my evening stuff, then skating by on 6 hours or so sleep at night.  I wonder if that'll keep me from sleep debt, as long as I'm not messing with REMs.  Let the experiment begin.

If you read this whole thing, you're an impressive beast.

• Like 3

Mekong, level 11 Cherek Adventurer STR 37|DEX 27|STA 35|CON 32|WIS 35|CHA 27

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be."

Current Challenge

fortune does not seem to favor the person that spends hours everyday staring at her phone or the TV. 

What ... no, that can't be right. 

So I'm toying with the idea of coming home, getting a full REM nap 1-2 hours, doing my evening stuff, then skating by on 6 hours or so sleep at night.  I wonder if that'll keep me from sleep debt, as long as I'm not messing with REMs.  Let the experiment begin.

I know a couple of people who do that. It seems to work for them. Probably depends on the individual. My dad has to get up at 3 AM to get to work, but he hates missing his tv shows in the evening. So he sleeps for an hour or two after work and then goes to bed at 10 PM. He's being doing this for about 30 years now, so I think it will at least not kill you. 

Bonus points if you wear a lab coat while experiment napping. 

• Like 4

Stealthstitcher

"You see, what you've got to consider is: are you going to be the hero of this 'ere adventure, or ain't you? You can't 'ave it both ways."

- E. Nesbit, The Magic City

Challenges:  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15

What ... no, that can't be right. 

I know right?? But I sadly have a pretty extensive longitudinal case study on myself that tells me such.

I know a couple of people who do that. It seems to work for them. Probably depends on the individual. My dad has to get up at 3 AM to get to work, but he hates missing his tv shows in the evening. So he sleeps for an hour or two after work and then goes to bed at 10 PM. He's being doing this for about 30 years now, so I think it will at least not kill you. 

Bonus points if you wear a lab coat while experiment napping. 

I've done a little internet-research on this and people seem to have good results, but I agree that it's probably very individualistic.  I think I may be ripe for it though, because whenever I'm left to my own devices my schedule tends to be 'go to bed late night/early morning, sleep until mid-morning, long nap mid afternoon/early evening' so the hours aren't the same but the pattern is similar. 

I Googled 'lab coat snuggie' and had a lot more returns than I expected, though understandably a lot more people are using snuggies as lab coats than the other way around.

• Like 2

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be."

Current Challenge

Here's my first attempt at a perfect day.  The macros are decent, but the calories are a little low.  I want to aim around 1800-1900 for zig days and 2200-2500 for zag days.  As this sits, I'd be closer to 3000 on zag days, and I don't see that working really well.  I guess I'll eat a day or two like this to try it out, but it seems like a lot of food.  I'm having trouble imagining how to fit in a couple hundred more calories, especially keeping macros in line.

Perfect Day 1

PS Sorry it's really small, I don't know how to fix it. 

japbcvpavbzau9dbuaxf.jpg
  • Like 2

Current Challenge

When I need to augment calories, I reach for avocados. A handful of pecans every now and then helps fill in, too.

I was thinking my fat was already a little high, but you're probably right that those are my best bets in terms of getting the calories in without adding too much more volume (it already seems like an insurmountable amount of food for one day).  And it'll get fiber levels up into a better range.

Hi Mekong!

I'm lurking in the background just watching...

What DFG said - maybe some almond butter in the am with your apple? Normally, I'd say a protein bar (I'm a fan of PowerCrunch), but I see all real food on your menu. 

Hello! I will try to live up to the lurk.  I really like this community and am trying to be better at being interactive and present, but I warn you that I'm generally boring and a sporadic updater.

Almond butter is probably a good choice too for the above volume/fiber reasons.  You astutely and correctly noticed I'm trying to keep my diet to real foods.  This is a new and not totally successful change for me, and I don't really have any reasons for doing it that are entirely convincing to myself.  But my workouts lately don't really necessitate supplements and I tend to use it as a crutch instead of eating real meals, so we'll see.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

Day 3.  My dad leaves tomorrow morning.  On the one hand it'll be nice to get back to normal eating habits and really get this challenge underway, but on the other I'm really sad we didn't get around to doing a lot of stuff I wanted to and I'm regretting this a lot.  And generally I like him and he's been walking the dog everyday so she likes him and we'll all just be kinda melancholy when he leaves.

Still working out the new work schedule.  Sleep is going okay but will be easier when my dad leaves- I won't be staying up as late and I'll get to take a nap when I get home if I need without feeling like I should be entertaining him instead.  I'm sure he doesn't feel like I need to do that, but still.  Tomorrow I'll be up even earlier to drop him off at the airport, but I'm not too concerned.  I'm much more concerned about undoing my efforts this weekend when I can sleep in.

Exercising is off to a slow start.  Monday I did a long stretch session.  Tuesday I did a little walk around my building at work and then did some planks and pushups in an empty conference room.  Today I'm not sure yet.  I'd wanted to take my dad to this working farm near by house today and figured that would be a decent walk, but I see now they're closed Wednesdays so now I'm sad he's leaving and sad I'm dumb and didn't check earlier and now we can't go and sad I have to figure out something else for exercise today. 

Ok, time for coffee and some work.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

How did Week 1 turn out?

Meh, alright.  I spent most of it kinda being on track but not really because my dad was here and the rest of it kinda on track not really because my dad being here was just an excuse.  Also, he kept buying beer and ice cream while he was here so I obviously had to take care of leftovers after he left.

This week I was trying to do my 5 perfect days with 2 higher calorie whatever days and the results are... not quite what I was expecting.  I've yet to do a day exactly as written, but I do find it easier to track calories when I have most of it filled it out each day.  I usually only bother counting calories when I'm not really following Paleo.  This time I'm doing both and very strictly measuring what I eat.  I'm... understanding very well why my weight has more or less stayed the same.  Actually closely tracking foods that I consider healthy I see now that I'm typically way over what I should be eating for my size and activity level.  I'm not saying CICO is the end all, be all, of weight loss, but clearly the two methods are too disparate in my case to think them interchangeable.  I know this is kind of Weight Loss 101 and I thought I knew better, I just wasn't doing the homework to verify it. 

So with that acknowledged, I am also acknowledging that if I really want to see results I'm probably going to have to be hungry occasionally.  I tell myself it'll help me re-calibrate when I'm actually hungry, but I'm grumpy already just thinking about it.  The husband is eating ice cream right now (and finishing it, nevermind that I ate most of it, I'm just annoyed I won't have it for my higher calorie day even if I'm probably better for it) and keeps asking if I want some and bringing me spoonfuls over and between being grumpy about this and actually wanting to say yes and knowing I shouldn't and then getting worked up about my efforts constantly being undermined by a loving enabler, I may have said NO a bit ruder than I meant to.

Activity.  Poorly! Fucking fuck!  I continue to do the bare minimum and in turn I'm not really changing my routine at all and thus forgetting to do it until the last minute before bed when I don't want to and then I'm half-assing it.  My plan to full-ass it this month is not panning out.  I have a perfect opportunity to incorporate it into my new work schedule and really ingrain the habit, and I'm blowing it.  I'm getting mad at myself just thinking about it.  But I will mull on this and in the meantime I WILL go to the gym tomorrow, no ifs, ands, or half-asses.

Sleep.  I've yet to get a long enough nap after work to be probably getting to REM and after I wake up I'm not nearly as productive as I'd like, but I'm getting away with less sleep at night (which is good since I'm usually sleep deficient between staying up too late, not being able to fall/stay asleep, getting super anxious about things I can't immediately address because it's 3am, and the husband's snoring keeping me awake) and I'm actually pretty well rested at work for a change, so not a total loss.

To end on a high note, my Big Important Project deadlines are done for the week (as long as this meeting tomorrow doesn't throw a wrench in it, 50/50 shot), so it's just motivating myself to do the thousand small things I've put off while accomplishing the big stuff.  Also my German flashcards are WHOA amaze-balls.

• Like 3

Current Challenge

So yeah, I can commiserate with the food / weight thing. I fully believe that healthy food should not have calories.

I can also commiserate with husbands who try to ply you with food that you shouldn't be eating. We have multiple talks about how, just because I say I want something does not mean I actually want you to buy something. My husband is such an enabler!

Hopefully the rest of your week is lighter and you are able to start getting ahead of the game and adding in some extra activity! 

• Like 1

This time I'm doing both and very strictly measuring what I eat.  I'm... understanding very well why my weight has more or less stayed the same.  Actually closely tracking foods that I consider healthy I see now that I'm typically way over what I should be eating for my size and activity level. 

Ugh, truth. I've hit a similar wall and realized that while eating cleaner is great, that alone isn't going to take me where I want to go. I struggle a bit with convincing myself that feeling hungry is okay. It's not an emergency, it's just my body letting me know it's ready for some more nourishment and nothing bad will happen if I make it wait a little longer or don't give it the food it wants. Hunger feels like a whiny two-year-old and it's so much easier to just give it candy than teach it self-control. We can be stronger than a whiny two-year-old! We can!

• Like 2

Stealthstitcher

"You see, what you've got to consider is: are you going to be the hero of this 'ere adventure, or ain't you? You can't 'ave it both ways."

- E. Nesbit, The Magic City

Challenges:  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15

Ugh, truth. I've hit a similar wall and realized that while eating cleaner is great, that alone isn't going to take me where I want to go. I struggle a bit with convincing myself that feeling hungry is okay. It's not an emergency, it's just my body letting me know it's ready for some more nourishment and nothing bad will happen if I make it wait a little longer or don't give it the food it wants. Hunger feels like a whiny two-year-old and it's so much easier to just give it candy than teach it self-control. We can be stronger than a whiny two-year-old! We can!

Yeah, I think a big part of Paleo and eating clean and stuff is the idea that you won't or shouldn't go hungry, which I need to unlearn.  There's some truth to it- fat, vegetables, protein, are all satiating and you're going to feel fuller than you will eating fruit juice and rice cakes- but I think the cause and effect of 'healthy foods are satisfying' gets morphed into the end product of not being hungry being treated as the initial cause.  I can eat a ribeye steak with mushrooms and onions sautéed in butter and steamed broccoli with pesto and easily be over 1000 kcal, but alas I probably shouldn't.  It's just a weird mind shift I guess.  Next you'll tell me that flour isn't an evil hellspawn sent to sow destruction and obesity wherever it goes.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

This week ended up pretty well.  I haven't totally stuck to my "perfect days" but as that was only a tool to make it easier to have a plan each day and not have to waste as much time inputting calorie tracking, the end result is still valid.  We have some impromptu houseguests coming tonight and then some more tomorrow, so I'm not sure if I'll make it to the gym today and/or Sunday, but I still made my 2/week last week and have opportunities Monday/Wednesday/Friday next week.  I wanted to get 1 of my 2 hikes/adventures in this weekend since German class is on Fruhlingsferien, but I don't think it'll be possible with all the last minute stuff coming up. 

• Like 3

Current Challenge

Hey there. I found my way here through your tag "german". Turns out you're not actually german, like me, but learning german and planning to move here, that is pretty cool!

Have you ever been to Germany? If so, where? Germany is such a diverse place the deep south, west, far east, the north...

How far into your language studies are you?

Alles Gute für deinen Weg.

Katrin

Katrin the Morag Lvl 22 Cadet, half klingon, c-licensed trainer, mother of two, gaming nerd

Current Challenge

Road map to Level 50

Hey there. I found my way here through your tag "german". Turns out you're not actually german, like me, but learning german and planning to move here, that is pretty cool!

Have you ever been to Germany? If so, where? Germany is such a diverse place the deep south, west, far east, the north...

How far into your language studies are you?

Alles Gute für deinen Weg.

Katrin

Why, hello.  Sorry to disappoint, you are correct that I am not German.  Just a big fan.  :playful:  My husband grew up in Germany (parents worked on American bases) and I've gone back once with him.  He mostly lived in the south- Nuremberg, Stuttgart, and Kaiserslautern- so Bavaria is 'home' for him, but I fell in love with Hamburg when we went.  I loved the climate, the confluence of cultures, how global it felt.  I also fell for St Pauli FC.  Our travels were mostly chosen to see friends, so I know there are a lot of areas I should go back and visit properly, but we spent most of our time in Hamburg, Nuremberg, and some smaller cities like Ansbach. 

As for my language studies, I'm definitely still a beginner.  My vocabulary is okay so I get the gist of what's being said, but I'm only just starting to really understand how to use cases and conjugate properly.  Our friends from Hamburg will be visiting this year, so I'm hoping to be able to hold a conversation with them in German.  They understand English just fine, but I'd like to be able to show them my progress since we visited them, when I didn't speak German at all.

Anyway, though I lured you here under false pretenses, feel free to stay!  And expect me to mildly stalk your page as well.  :redface-new:

Tschuss!

• Like 2

Current Challenge

I'm in a food coma from the potluck at work so what better time to update instead of actually work?  Our entire floor coordinates so every department does their own potluck on the same day and then everyone runs around sampling everyone else's potlucks like kids on Halloween.  It's quite fun.  Our department did a chips, dip, and finger foods theme, another did tacos, another did brats, I don't even know what anyone else did because I was full by that point. 

Last weekend was great.  I can't really put into words the high I'm still riding from all the fun, good food and conversation.  We went out a lot but I was pretty mindful of what I ate.  Drinking was definitely in excess though.  Calorically, but also the kind of excess that compels you to bring out a trumpet and try to serenade your poor, tolerant neighbors.  When I open up, I tend to go on long-winded tangents about really obscure subjects and one or my friends is like that so it was great to have another motor-mouth to bounce off, and another friend is just one of those awesome people with whom you can have really long figuring out your life kind of conversations, so yeah, gemutlichkeit all around.

All this being said, I've been pretty good with my goals but I still need to get out and do my good weekend hikes.  I plan on doing one this Saturday.  Gym has been good.  Daily activity is incrementally improving.  I didn't do anything Monday and Tuesday because my quads were ridiculously sore from the gym on Sunday- to the point that I've been using the handicapped bathroom so I can use the rails because I can't actually bend otherwise- but that was more mindfully resting than forgetting like usual.

Now off to find some coffee/a hidey hole for a nap.

• Like 4

Current Challenge

I've been updating a lot in my head, so that counts, right?  Everytime I log in I see the new format and my inner Luddite panics and I back on out slowly again.

Um, I didn't do great at this challenge.  My gym-ing is much more consistent but my daily activity-ing and adventuring not so much.  I'm spending some time this week reevaluating how I approach this constant roadblock and testing out some future goals.  Short week at work, heading to Flagstaff for a long weekend.  So ready to be done tomorrow afternoon, even though I know I'll be walking into chaos the following Monday.

• Like 1

Current Challenge