• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

'BoutThatActionBoss

'BoutThatActionBoss - Take On Me

Yes, I did name this challenge after my favorite 80s song. I still love the video, by the way. 

I have been able to lose 12 lbs so far since the beginning of the year, largely due to the challenges and the support folks give so thanks for that!

This has been hard for me, largely because most of my life I was pretty active and everything followed that. I ate well because I wanted to be better at my sport.

I have had heaps of injuries since I hit my early 30s, so my weight slowly crept up. For the past few months, I haven't really been able to exercise, so I have had the new experience of trying to control my weight by locking down my nutrition.

So in a way, it is good that I have had this down time -- it has made me focus on eating, which is pretty critical in life, especially as you get older and your metabolism slows. 

tl;dr - LET'S DO THIS SH**

MAIN QUEST 1 (Weigh 175 by the end of the challenge)

MAIN QUEST 2 (Better mental health through meditation and sleep)

GOALS

1) Track calories using MyFitnessPal and stay below the minimum every day until the end of February.

2) Nutrition: Eat vegetables three days a week and no soda or sweets until Easter. 

3) Meditate 10 minutes every day. 

4) Take concrete steps toward a career pivot of some sort.

5) Get my hurt arm better. 

6) Start working out in some manner by the end of the challenge (largely dependent upon my leg and elbow healing)

The hardest thing for me will be the career pivot. Any ideas from people who have successfully found jobs they love, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. 

Obligatory A-Ha bluegrass cover: 

• Like 3

Hahaha, I tend to prefer the metal cover myself.

Anyway, I have no idea how to go about changing careers right. I'll be watching you in case someone chimes in with good advice.

Hope you get to heal fast!

• Like 1

Following for 80s awesomeness.  That's still a favorite video of mine.  Ah...the early days of MTV, when there was actually music (maybe it's on there again? I've not seen the channel in nearly 10 years)

• Like 1

Hahaha, I tend to prefer the metal cover myself.

Anyway, I have no idea how to go about changing careers right. I'll be watching you in case someone chimes in with good advice.

Hope you get to heal fast!

You are a man after my own heart. I love metal, I love A-Ha, everything about this is perfect. The chorus ridiculously excellent. 

Could I just appreciate A-Ha covers for a career? I would be good at that. 

• Like 1

Following for 80s awesomeness.  That's still a favorite video of mine.  Ah...the early days of MTV, when there was actually music (maybe it's on there again? I've not seen the channel in nearly 10 years)

Right? I feel like for a long time people our age would have the "remember when MTV used to show videos" conversation. I think now it is mostly trashy reality TV and some original shows. The only thing I still watch is the MTV Challenge, mostly because I know people who know people on the show personally. 

First off, big shouts to everyone for saying hello! I have been a bit absent on the boards as work has been busy and life stuff has been hectic, but I hope stuff calms down a bit. 

Kishi, I cannot stop listening to the A-Ha cover. It is amazing. 

This week went OK-ish. Let's get down to brass tacks, as they used to say: 

I had a pretty big victory already here. I weighed myself this morning and was 178.6. That is a loss of 13.4 lbs since the beginning of January. I didn't expect to lose that much weight this week since the weekend I went over a bit, but I will take it. I couldn't be happier with my progress here, especially since I am doing next-to-no exercise due to the arm, leg and now back injuries. 

Sleep has been good. Career stuff has me bugging out a bit, so I will have to put that as part of the 'mental health' bouillabaisse.  

GOALS

1) Track calories using MyFitnessPal and stay below the minimum every day until the end of February.

I tracked most of everything last week, and am stoked that this has become a habit. I stayed below my calorie count four of the seven days, which isn't great, but at least when I went over it wasn't by thousands of calories, but a couple of hundred. I would like to look at calories weekly, I bet I was close to the allotment if not a bit below, so maybe the weight loss isn't so surprising with that in mind?: B+ 

2) Nutrition: Eat vegetables three days a week and no soda or sweets until Easter. 

Since the new year, I have probably eaten more vegetables than the rest of my life combined. It's a bit more expensive than I usually pay for food, but the cost is more than made up for with lower weight and a less-painful digestive system. I still don't love vegetables (I had Brussels sprouts today and lunch and they were terrible), but some I don't mind and broccoli or peppers with hummus is a great snack. Anyway, this has been a huge, positive change for me: A

I was doing great here but have not meditated since the middle of last week. Time to get back on track. This week is going to be busy, but no excuses: C

I did some reading but haven't taken any action. This is a huge life stressor for me and I want to get going in a good direction. At this point, I would be happy building up some extra income on the side since my finances are pretty bad (although I just did pay off my credit card!): D

I have been doing some light stretches every day and my arm is FINALLY improving. I think I may be two or three weeks away from training again if it continues. But tendons can be quite intractable things, so I will have to temper my expectations a bit: A

6) Start working out in some manner by the end of the challenge (largely dependent upon my leg and elbow healing)

I hurt my back really bad somehow last week. I woke up Tuesday and my lower back was throbbing. So I have that, along with my elbow and a calf strain. Not fun. But I really think I will be able to get back to working out within a couple of weeks. I may even be able to start biking to work as well, which would be great: INCOMPLETE 

Summary

I am really happy about the weight loss. I was shocked by my weight in early January, and I am happy that being mindful about what I eat is having such a positive impact. I don't feel hungry all the time or anything like that, which is nice. I think before I would eat a lot out of boredom, which is pretty common. Tracking calories by MyFitnessPal has helped me get perspective. Like, do I really want to have chips and burn those calories now even though I am not really hungry? Or would I rather save them for later? 

The job/career stuff will take some major, major work over months. I haven't quite started that journey yet, and this is beyond the scope of the challenge, but it is something worth tracking here as well. 

Good start for week 1! 

• Like 1

Dang, man. I mean, obviously, that's great news that your weight's coming down purely as a function of your diet. Fantastic, actually. It's really, really cool.

But what are you doing that's getting you hurt so much? I mean, it just seems like a random spread of injuries - first one thing, then another, and now this, and you're not even rolling, right?

It's just weird to contemplate from out here and I'm trying to wrack my brain as to how I can help you with this.

• Like 1

So sorry to hear about the additional injury. Have you hurt your back in the past? Maybe you're relying on it more with the leg/elbow issues? 

Awesome progress with the vegetables and weight loss! Hope that elbow keeps behaving for you so you can get back to bjj in a few weeks. :)

• Like 1

Dang, man. I mean, obviously, that's great news that your weight's coming down purely as a function of your diet. Fantastic, actually. It's really, really cool.

But what are you doing that's getting you hurt so much? I mean, it just seems like a random spread of injuries - first one thing, then another, and now this, and you're not even rolling, right?

It's just weird to contemplate from out here and I'm trying to wrack my brain as to how I can help you with this.

So sorry to hear about the additional injury. Have you hurt your back in the past? Maybe you're relying on it more with the leg/elbow issues? 

Awesome progress with the vegetables and weight loss! Hope that elbow keeps behaving for you so you can get back to bjj in a few weeks. :)

Thanks guys! You all are awesome! 

I have no idea what happened with my back. I haven't been doing any exercise at all really. I was riding my bike to work for a few days again, but then when the back flared up it hurt too much so I even stopped that. But I just woke up one morning and it throbbed. I don't know if I tweaked it while asleep or what. It just sucks to have all these injuries BUT I feel like they are all on the mend. No body part is 100 percent, but at 37 healing takes longer. I was kinda freaked out about the back, but it feels much better a week on. The elbow is slowly improving, and that is the one I am most concerned about since I have had it for 2+ months. I think in two weeks I may be ready to get back to BJJ and weights. 

The leg should be fine. That also freaked me out since it hurt so much when I did it, but the rest is doing it well. I hope with the weight loss I can get back into running and do a few races this summer. Fingers crossed. I just want to be active again! 

And I forgot to meditate yesterday again. Time to re-focus. 

I assume you've got the rest and ice thing down.  I've learned the hard way in recent years that nutritional conditions can affect recovery time a hell of a lot.  The lower you go below your body's BMR, the worse a time it has healing from anything and the more injury-prone it is.  You're probably not way under your maintenance calories, so that's probably not extreme enough to worry about, unless you're eating several hundred calories below your BMR.  (If you are, maybe a good idea to slow down that weight loss a little and eat a little more.)  The other thing, though, is that calories aren't necessarily equal to enough vitamins, minerals, proteins, and fats for the body to recover with.  So if you're getting multiple injuries out of the blue, and they're hanging around (aside from tendons, they just take forever apparently), it's worth seeing if that's a problem for your recovery.  

I'd double-check MFP's calorie targets on another couple of calculators, they're notoriously on the low side.  Take a look at MFP's vitamin/mineral stats to see if there's a problem somewhere.  Throw in a multi-vitamin as insurance, but do your best to get everything via food, because there's some evidence that the body doesn't deal with multivitamins efficiently.  Up your protein levels some.  And, well, the vegetable thing is not your friend here, but you do what you can.  (As much fruit as you can handle.  IIRC, upping tea or coffee consumption to many, many cups a day will also qualify as a serving of fruit/veg.  Go *really generous* on the tomato sauce.  Didn't think of this before, but there are tips out there in parenting blogs for hiding vegetables in recipes for kids who won't eat them.  Whatever helps.)  That shit won't be perfect overnight, because some of them are larger diet changes, but it's worth trying to do what you can for a few weeks and seeing if that helps your recovery time.  Shit happens, but even at 37, this is borderline high injury rate, and there's probably something working against you on it.

• Like 1

Piggybacking on Sara's advice, if you are doing supplements/look to add supplements on as insurance, labdoor.com is a good place to check and see what all is actually active in the supplements that you take and whether you're getting your money's worth.

• Like 1

I assume you've got the rest and ice thing down.  I've learned the hard way in recent years that nutritional conditions can affect recovery time a hell of a lot.  The lower you go below your body's BMR, the worse a time it has healing from anything and the more injury-prone it is.  You're probably not way under your maintenance calories, so that's probably not extreme enough to worry about, unless you're eating several hundred calories below your BMR.  (If you are, maybe a good idea to slow down that weight loss a little and eat a little more.)  The other thing, though, is that calories aren't necessarily equal to enough vitamins, minerals, proteins, and fats for the body to recover with.  So if you're getting multiple injuries out of the blue, and they're hanging around (aside from tendons, they just take forever apparently), it's worth seeing if that's a problem for your recovery.  

I'd double-check MFP's calorie targets on another couple of calculators, they're notoriously on the low side.  Take a look at MFP's vitamin/mineral stats to see if there's a problem somewhere.  Throw in a multi-vitamin as insurance, but do your best to get everything via food, because there's some evidence that the body doesn't deal with multivitamins efficiently.  Up your protein levels some.  And, well, the vegetable thing is not your friend here, but you do what you can.  (As much fruit as you can handle.  IIRC, upping tea or coffee consumption to many, many cups a day will also qualify as a serving of fruit/veg.  Go *really generous* on the tomato sauce.  Didn't think of this before, but there are tips out there in parenting blogs for hiding vegetables in recipes for kids who won't eat them.  Whatever helps.)  That shit won't be perfect overnight, because some of them are larger diet changes, but it's worth trying to do what you can for a few weeks and seeing if that helps your recovery time.  Shit happens, but even at 37, this is borderline high injury rate, and there's probably something working against you on it.

Sara! Thank you for this really thoughtful reply! It gave me a lot to think about. I have no idea what is going on with the injuries. I never thought of it in terms of nutritional deficiencies, but they could absolutely be a part of the equation. I don't think I am eating too far below MFPs caloric minimums lately, and the quality of the food I think has been ok BUT I do wonder if I am getting enough protein. I have been eating a lot less meat since the new year and not replacing it with any other large source of protein, so I wonder if that is a factor. I will definitely take a closer look at the macros. 

I do take a multivitamin, but like you said, I wonder how well my body is absorbing the nutrients as I have seen similar articles on this topic. I have been eating a lot of vegetables and fruits, so at least I have that going for me. Although I still hate the vegetables. And my mom used to have to cook food hidden with vegetables for me, I was that picky! 

I do feel like I am turning a corner of sorts. My back is better this week. And my leg is healing, I even went for my first run since December today. 

Thank you for checking in as always! 

Piggybacking on Sara's advice, if you are doing supplements/look to add supplements on as insurance, labdoor.com is a good place to check and see what all is actually active in the supplements that you take and whether you're getting your money's worth.

Awesome! Thanks for the website. I will check it out. I am pretty skeptical at heart so this should be good to see what works and what doesn't. 

Gracias! 

• Like 1

Hello all! Sorry, I have been a crap forum member this challenge. I am barely hanging on with some work/life stuff so I haven't been as active as I should be. I will poke my head in and say hello to everyone in the coming days though. I hate being that person that just posts in their own thread, so I promise to get better!

First I just wanted to update my own challenge before Monday is over. 

I am down to 176.8, but I am a bit dubious at this number. I exceeded my caloric intake almost every single day until Sunday, where I got a bit ill and barely ate at all. So when I got on the scale today, it was probably a bit lower than it should have been. I am surprised it was that low since I did eat more than usual for the week overall. The week was quite social in that I went out to eat a lot, and one of the pitfalls of going out is getting away from my routine and ordering the GIANT DOUBLE CHEESEBURGER instead of something a bit more reasonable. So I am down, but I think largely due to illness.  

Tough week for my mental health and sleep. I did meditate most days, so that is a small victory. 

GOALS

1) Track calories using MyFitnessPal and stay below the minimum every day until the end of the challenge.

I did miss 1/2 day of tracking as I forgot to load in a dinner one day last week. Otherwise, my tracking has been good. I did exceed my calorie count almost every single day. So, despite losing 1.8 lbs, it was a mixed bag: C+

Still saying soda free. I didn't have sweets, but I did have pancakes and a muffin for breakfast yesterday. But they weren't snacks so maybe that is OK? Am I just looking for a technicality? I am actually thinking if making 2016 soda free. The longer I go without it, the more I realize that it really doesn't do anything for me other than make me feel bloated and give me empty calories. I will keep thinking about it. I do love the taste. I am still eating a lot of veggies so I am stoked on that: B

I am not tracking super closely, and I missed three or four days, but I have done it the last few days. Which is good because I need it when I am going through tough times: C

Didn't do much here but I am hitting a critical point. I have to start building toward something soon. If I start making headway here I think it could help make me feel better mentally: F

This is very positive. My elbow is finally feeling better. I really believe I am getting back to BJJ within two or three weeks. The exercises and rest are working. Finally: A

Today I went for a run for one mile, but it was the first workout I have had since December. So although it was a crap night filled with cold and rain, it felt fantastic: INCOMPLETE BUT AN 'A' IN MY HEART. 

Summary

Ups and downs this week, but some big positives. I was happy with the weight loss even if it is possibly not quite as much as it seems. The run I did tonight feels good in my soul. Not exercising for three months has been hard. I hope this is me finally turning a corner. 

The big life stuff (family, work, etc) hasn't been great so I feel like I am fighting an uphill battle. But I will keep fighting and scratching and clawing for all the little victories I can get. 

Yeah, sickness does tend to lead to weight loss. Recovery tends to lead to weight gain. Your skepticism is wise, and I would council you to remain calm if your scale tells you that you've shot back up again.

Then again, you seem to be incapable of keeping weight, so, maybe you won't. Who knows?

Also, isn't it funny how you can Feel a Thing and it changes everything? I'm speaking about the training, and even though it's an incomplete, you should feel proud of yourself for that. Good job, buddy. :'D

Now we gotta get that pivot going. Hm. Well, if it's coming to a head and you end up leaving, well, that might just be the pivot you need. ^_^; Good luck this week!

So glad to hear training might be back on the menu for you in the near future. You've had to go without for a long time, and I know the waiting has been tough! Just make sure when you do go back that you ease into things to avoid new/old injuries. (Sorry if that was a total mom thing to say!)

Don't stress about not commenting. We're all in varying stages of up and down, and sometimes taking care of yourself is all that you can manage. That said it's always great to see you around the boards. :)

Glad to see your elbow is doing better.  Sorry about the RL issues that might be slowing you down. 

For the elbow, from my own experience, when you start rolling again, treat it like it's 70%, even if it feels great. Don't baby it, but do keep in mind it's still healing.  Relapsing sucks, let me tell you.

I'm with you on #4.  I'm a build to a critical point kind of person, too.

That's awesome about the soda.  That's a tough habit to move past, and it looks like you're flying by it.  Good job. 

• Like 1

So, a forum revamp, huh? Change is always hard, but I will try to be open minded. I assume this was done for easier navigation on mobile platforms? 

Anyway, this challenge has been a...challenge. I have been a crap forum member and not supportive of other folks and I apologize for that. I will be better next challenge! 

I had some real life stuff going on, stress at work, family stuff, etc etc. Some other good things as well, but my focus has been off. All that said, I got in three runs last week, my first time running since December, so I am amped for that. The elbow continues to heal, albeit quite slowly. I keep saying "I will get back to BJJ next week", but having to put it off. I REALLY hope next week is the "next week."

After many successful weeks, I actually went up in weight to 177 lbs, so that is up 0.2 lbs. I was a bit desiccated last when I weighed myself last week, so maybe I wasn't quite 176.8. I do need to lose 1 lb this week to hit the goal. May be tough to hit it with Easter (and the breaking of my fast on sweets) this weekend, but I think with solid meal planning I can give it a shot. 

The meditation has been shunted off to the side this challenge. Sleep has not been great either. I will have to focus on sleep more closely in the next challenge. 

GOALS

1) Track calories using MyFitnessPal and stay below the minimum every day 

I exceeded my calorie count three of seven days, and I also had an incomplete day. One day I was over by almost 2000 calories, so there's my answer as to why I gained weight: C

I had vegetables five of seven days. No soda or sweets, although I did have a muffin at brunch two days. I won't count it, because I am the one setting the rules darn it: B

I haven't been tracking this as closely, but I know I got in only two or three days last week. I got back on the horse today: D

I continue to do nothing here. In the next challenge, this may be my top priority. I REALLY need to move on to something else: F

It is SLOWLY improving. I thought I could get back to jiu jitsu this week, but it is still sore. I am doing the theraband exercises every day religiously, and they seem to be helping. But I rode my bike a few days and that still causes a lot of pain. But the pain is less than it was at the beginning of the challenge: B

I ran three times last week! And I ran again today. I am pretty happy about this. I want to make 2016 special physically, so these are good steps. 

Summary

Kind of a lost week, but that happens. This week has already started better. This challenge hasn't been my best, but I can finish strong. I have to make sure not to overeat on Sunday and keep the rest of my meals in check this week to hit my goal. It is possible! 

Sorry again for being a crap forum member, but I will do better next challenge! 

Dude, relax. You don't have the responsibility to be 'a good forum member.' It's okay. We like you plenty just as you are. :'D

Do you suppose that maybe the fasting from sweets has had something to do with your weight dropping down?

• Like 1

On 3/22/2016 at 0:54 AM, Kishi said:

Dude, relax. You don't have the responsibility to be 'a good forum member.' It's okay. We like you plenty just as you are. :'D

Do you suppose that maybe the fasting from sweets has had something to do with your weight dropping down?

Hey Kishi! Well, I don't want to be the person who comes in and only comments in their own thread. I really want to support others and be a member of the community and not have it be a one way street. I may make being a better forum member a part of my next challenge! 

Absolutely that helped with losing weight! Dropping that and soda have made all the difference. All of it. I went back and had some sweets and soda for Easter, but I feel like garbage today, so I may pick up on the fasting again until July 4th or some arbitrary date like that. The older I get, the harder it is for me to eat poorly and still feel good. So it's really a no-brainer that I need to continue on this path! 

• Like 1

It really is a matter of figuring out what good feeling you want, right? Is the good feeling of sweets worth the bad that comes with it? And how do you compensate for the loss when you eat the salad and maybe some fruit when your buddy is going to town on a Sundae?

The great existential problems of our time, no doubt. :P