'BoutThatActionBoss - Take On Me

Hey world! Still getting used to these new forums. I will withhold judgment until after the next challenge and I am a bit more used to it. 

Been a crazy couple of weeks for me. I went on a couple of dates with someone who seems to be into me and who I am into, which is pretty significant because I went through a bad breakup five years ago that shattered me (wasn't anyone's fault -- she was/is awesome) and I haven't had anything happen since then. Even if things break down tomorrow, I am happy to see that maybe I will be able to move on and find someone new. Big shouts to all my broken-hearted people out in the world: there's hope yet for us.

Most significantly, today was my first class back at BJJ WHATTTT! My elbow is a bit sore, and tomorrow we'll see if I went too far, but right now, at 2:18 am, I am cautiously optimistic. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let it not hurt tomorrow. PLEASE. 

I also ran yesterday AND today for two miles. Might I be turning a corner??! Knock on wood. 

Since there is a week long break between challenges, I am just going to continue with this until the start of the new challenge. I broke my sweets and soda fast yesterday and today and went a bit overboard so this will help keep me accountable. I also need a few days to think about where I want to focus my next efforts. 

Lastly, sorry again for being a crap forum member. Being better at this will be a goal of my next challenge. I have to be better at supporting other members.

MAIN QUEST 1 (Weigh 175 by the end of the challenge)

Even though I ate half my weight in sweets yesterday, I weighed in at 175.4, which helped me hit my goal right on the nose. That is a 1.6 lb loss from last week. I have lost about 16 lbs since the beginning of the year and I am about 15 lbs from my goal weight of 161. I am stoked on this.  

MAIN QUEST 2 (Better mental health through meditation and sleep)

Not great and will need to improve on both counts. 

GOALS

1) Track calories using MyFitnessPal and stay below the minimum every day until the end of March.

I have tried to track everything but this week it has gotten a bit away from me. I haven't missed any days, but I haven't been assiduous in my tracking. I will focus and end this challenge during my bonus week strongly: B-

2) Nutrition: Eat vegetables three days a week and no soda or sweets until Easter. 

Not my best week, but I had vegetables most days. I didn't have any soda or sweets until yesterday, where I went a bit overboard. I ate too much today as well and feel kind of sick. I bought a bunch of crap tonight, which I ate some of, but I packed it up and will bring it to work tomorrow. People will eat it and enjoy it more than I. The contrast is so strong now between when I eat well for awhile and then indulge -- my body feels VERY different when I put bad stuff in it. This is something to note and is a critical realization. The few minutes of pleasure from sweets or soda are not worth the bloated/sick feeling that follows. Back in the saddle starting tomorrow: C

3) Meditate 10 minutes every day. 

I haven't been tracking but I think I have been doing this every other day. I want to get this down for the rest of the week: C

4) Take concrete steps toward a career pivot of some sort.

Not much cooking here unfortunately. I need more money or to be more fulfilled. And I need to do something about it: F

5) Get my hurt arm better. 

The arm feels OK after BJJ class. I did some stretches when I got home, and the elbow was more tender than it had been in a week or two but it didn't feel like a major setback. My plan is to return to class on Thursday, but if it is painful I will wait till next week. Better to start slow and ease into it than hurt it again and start at square one: CAUTIOUSLY OPTIMISTIC 

6) Start working out in some manner by the end of the challenge (largely dependent upon my leg and elbow healing): 

I ran 15-20 minutes four days last week, which was huge! This is most I have run since November. I am not overdoing it and my legs feel fresh every run. This is going well. I will see about my elbow after class tonight, but next week I would like to do some light weightlifting during my lunch break: CAUTIOUSLY OPTIMISTIC 

Summary

I am stoked on a lot of things right now: dating, fitness, weight loss. It's some good life momentum and I hope I can keep it going. The final piece of the puzzle would be some career development so I hope to focus on that in the next challenge. I need to have some concrete steps and hold myself accountable for them. Time for the bonus week! 

• Like 1

You're back! Sounds like this challenge was an overall success for you. I mean, you're going to bjj again, so how could it not be?! 

TbCULHg.gif

Celebratory wrestling puppies for you. :)

Anyway, great work on the weight loss and your dedication to improved eating! Glad to hear you're getting out and having a little fun, too.

• Like 1

Yay, awesome things happening!  That sounds like a really good challenge, despite your tough grading.

Watch those injuries, man.  Even if they seem okay, give them some ice and things, and treat them like they're 50% for a while.  My experience is there's always some fragility after things heal.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, courtneyc said:

You're back! Sounds like this challenge was an overall success for you. I mean, you're going to bjj again, so how could it not be?! 

TbCULHg.gif

Celebratory wrestling puppies for you. :)

Anyway, great work on the weight loss and your dedication to improved eating! Glad to hear you're getting out and having a little fun, too.

Haha thanks for the puppies! They could probably submit me pretty easily right now unfortunately. I feel like I have forgotten EVERYTHING. I was close to getting my first strip and now it is back to the beginning, but I am not mad at all. I am just happy to be back. My arm feels pretty good today and I think I should be OK if I go Thursday. It's a small class, so I don't think anyone will be going HAM. There's always the dudes in their early 20s that GO 100 all the time, but they tend to go later. 

Thanks for checking in! 

8 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Yay, awesome things happening!  That sounds like a really good challenge, despite your tough grading.

Watch those injuries, man.  Even if they seem okay, give them some ice and things, and treat them like they're 50% for a while.  My experience is there's always some fragility after things heal.

Awesome things are happening! I hope that this is the start of a run of good things! The grading is tough, haha. I have to grade essays where I work and my co-workers always say I am the harshest among them...

I will watch the injuries for sure. I have to be especially vigilant about the arm. It feels like one of those things where it could slide back to how it was pretty quickly if I am not careful. My lower body feels really good right now, so I will continue with the running 3-4 days a week for the immediate future. There's some races I would like to try in the fall but I have to survive the spring first. 

Thanks as always for saying hey! 

You are a harsh judge.

Going forward, I would humbly advise that you focus on the slow consolidation of your physical attributes. Just keeping even and letting yourself heal and move at your own pace.

As to the job stuff, you could just burn your boats and quit out of nowhere. That may or may not be a terrible idea.

Anyway. I for one am glad to see that you've done well and that you're continuing to do so. Glad to see, glad to hear. Very good.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Kishi said:

You are a harsh judge.

Going forward, I would humbly advise that you focus on the slow consolidation of your physical attributes. Just keeping even and letting yourself heal and move at your own pace.

As to the job stuff, you could just burn your boats and quit out of nowhere. That may or may not be a terrible idea.

Anyway. I for one am glad to see that you've done well and that you're continuing to do so. Glad to see, glad to hear. Very good.

Thank you for checking in Kishi! I guess I have always been my own harshest critic. But these challenges have helped me start off 2016 better than I ever thought possible. I have had a bad past few days, but otherwise my momentum has been very positive through large swaths of my life for the first time in awhile. This makes me hopeful, something I can't always say! 

I will focus on the slow consolidation of everything. I want to stay active but I know I need to really listen to my body and take steps to prevent injury. I need to learn more about stretching/foam rolling/pilates. And I need to keep active and lifting. It feels good to be trending toward healthy again! 

The job change will come. I have thought about quitting, yes, but I need to save a lot of money before I can do that. In the meantime, I will keep my eyes and ears open for something else. I would like to freelance for writing/editing or maybe even tutor Spanish or something as well. Money is always a big stress for me and it isn't pleasant. 

I appreciate the support! 

• Like 1

Got off to a good start today and didn't indulge in all the Easter chocolates and I had a good lunch. Just posting here to help keep me accountable. 

The elbow also still feels good! Looking to get back to BJJ class tomorrow. I hope to get a quick run in after work, the weather is actually decent in Boston today, w00t! 

Very happy today! I had class two with little to no soreness afterward. And it turns out my favorite instructor will now teach all Thursday classes, which is pretty awesome. And my favorite band dropped a new album today. And I should be able to run three miles injury-free after work. 

DON'T CALL IT A COMEBACK (actually, call it a comeback)