You are a member of the rebel alliance, and a traitor. [Endor]

Endor

Today I did the first 2 dives of my PADI Advanced Scuba course, these were both shore dives. The Drift dive, Naturalist and Peak performance bouyancy. Rocked up to the shop half an hour late, not a good start and a nice way to piss everyone off, GPS screwed me over. Anyway, 4 of us diving, the instructor, a girl who had just passed her open water cert on the weekend (i.e. total noob) and a very experienced commercial diver. They all turned out to be really nice people and we got along well. Not really a surprise, divers are usually really friendly smart people and it's easy to be nice when you're doing something so enjoyable! 

I was really nervous, been a long time since I have dived and never done drift before. The current also looked very strong but it was reassuring to not be the least experienced for a change! I coped pretty well with the dive, instructor corrected me on a couple of things which I know I do and I know I need to work on.

The next dive was bouyancy skills/naturalist and was really fun. Saw some amazing sea life, awesome big octopus pulling himself along on the rocks, chasing a fish, very cool :) Also some unusual fish, including a couple of pineapple fish which were pretty cool:

pineapplefish-24M1099-15.jpg

and some white and black nudiebranch which are a type of sea slug and quite rare I think: (not my pics!)

131224-004-4D984459.jpg

Also saw heaps of other fish including a bright yellow catfish.

Great diving :) Tomorrow will be 3 boat dives, including Deep Dive to 30 metres on a local wreck, should be challenging but hopefully fun too.  

• Like 4

Endor, LVL 45 Half-Elf Ranger 

PR and Motivation Log | Current Battle Log 

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

Woke up today with a pretty bad head cold, I shouldn't really have dived but I seemed to be capable of equalising and I wanted to get it done so I went anyway. Have cancelled my PT tonight though, next session will be Saturday. 

Day 2 of my Advanced Diving course is in the books, I'm now a PADI certified Advanced Scuba Diver :D

The wreck dive to 30m exposed me to Nitrogen Narcosis, very weird I felt quite tipsy and giggly! The instructor made us write our name backwards on a slate. I got 1 letter out and then stared at it for 10 seconds, just couldn't think straight, then I started giggling at how I couldn't even do this simple task!! Probably quite a dangerous state to be in under 30 metres of water....

The wreck was cool, very big and full of fish life. We also did 2 shore dives. Covered off navigation skills and the last dive was with Nitrox which I have never used before. It's a blend of Nitrogen and Oxygen with a much higher oxygen percentage than normal air (32% versus 21%) which means you absorb less Nitrogen into your blood. This results in longer dive times with out hitting decompression limits as early. Great to experience but by that stage I was really tired and ready to have a rest. I don't noramlly do 3 dives in a day, typically not more than 2 so I'm pretty exhausted. Great to finally be certified though! 

Also saw tons of rays, beautiful reef fish and a couple of tasty looking flatheads, way too fast to catch with your hands though! Only drama in the 2 days was today on the last dive. My buddy had packed my weights into my BCD for me and not secured one of them properly, it fell out halfway through the dive. Oh fuck. I started to surface rapidly as a result but luckily quick thinking enough to dump air from my BCD to reduce my bouyancy and managed to retrieve the weight pack and get back into the BCD. The water was pretty shallow, about 6 metres, if that had happened while we were at 30 metres I'd have been in deep shit...but let's not think about that! ;)

So overall a great experience and I got on really well with my dive buddy. She facebook friended me at the end of the dive and we're probably going to do a night dive course together next week. Nice to make a new friend who doesn't live too far away and has a common hobby :)

I'll now start planning my big dream trip up north to dive the Yongala wreck, much excitement!!!

Here's a vid from the Dive, I have never used a Go Pro before, it was in a wrist housing on my arm so not very good/steady especially as I didn't know it was on half the time! I have to learn to use it properly for next time. 

• Like 5

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

4 hours ago, Endor said:

My buddy had packed my weights into my BCD for me and not secured one of them properly, it fell out halfway through the dive

I am not sure what "weights into my BCD" means. But from the context I get that your oxigen bottle (do you use "bottle" for this?) dropped?? So dangerous! Happy to know that you were close enough to the surface to avoid any trouble.

Never heard of the nitrogen narcosis. Looked up for it and seems really dangerous if you're alone or unaware of what is happening o_O

Liked the video. Thanks for sharing!

Congrats on getting your certification!! :)

• Like 1
7 hours ago, zenLara said:

I am not sure what "weights into my BCD" means. But from the context I get that your oxigen bottle (do you use "bottle" for this?) dropped?? So dangerous! Happy to know that you were close enough to the surface to avoid any trouble.

Never heard of the nitrogen narcosis. Looked up for it and seems really dangerous if you're alone or unaware of what is happening o_O

Liked the video. Thanks for sharing!

Congrats on getting your certification!! :)

This is a BCD ( buoyancy control device ), it has removable pouches (the red handles) you put lead weights in to help you sink and it can be inflated with air from the tank to help you float. Together the 2 actions make you buoyant so you can become weightless in the water and stay at a particular depth, like floating in space. That's the most fun part of scuba for me, when you get the buoyancy right and can just hang in the water :D

mares_prime_mrs_plus_web.jpg

l_mares-tarierjacket-tarierweste-bcd-1.j

Narcosis can be dangerous but you're never alone when you dive (unless you're an idiot) and it only sets in from around 28 to 30 metres. I had no effect until 29 metres, which is pretty deep. Most dives I do are around 12 to 20 metres.

In the context of scuba it's usually called an Oxygen tank but it can be called a bottle as well. Bottle more often used in a medical context though. 

• Like 1

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

44 minutes ago, Endor said:

This is a BCD ( buoyancy control device ), it has removable pouches (the red handles) you put lead weights in to help you sink and it can be inflated with air from the tank to help you float. Together the 2 actions make you buoyant so you can become weightless in the water and stay at a particular depth, like floating in space. That's the most fun part of scuba for me, when you get the buoyancy right and can just hang in the water :D

Thanks for taking the time to explain. Now I understand what happened :)

• Like 1
On 24/03/2016 at 6:20 AM, EricMN said:

That vid is amazing. Thanks for sharing.

No worries, glad you liked it! :) 

On 24/03/2016 at 10:10 AM, DarK_RaideR said:

I'd be terrified just by being in Australian waters. The fauna in this place is just...

Divers always go on about how good 'the viz' is, meaning visibility, so distance you can see underwater. On my dives viz was typically about 5 metres, so not very good, the water was a bit dirty from a storm a couple days before. The nice thing about low viz when you're deep diving is you can't see what's sitting 6 metres away about to eat you :lol:

On 24/03/2016 at 10:35 AM, Elastigirl said:

So cool! Congrats on the advanced scuba certificate!

Thank you! Relieved to have it done :)

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

Seems the challenge is over already. I didn't do very well on my goals, in fact I can hardly remember what they were :distant:

4 weeks is just not working for me so I'm going to sit the next challenge out, will be switching to a specific battle log instead.  I've calculated I have 100 days between 1 April and my holiday so I will be setting up a 100 day challenge in a battle log. 

I'm getting a DEXA today and seeing the nutritionist on Thursday, just in time to start my 100 day challenge on Friday.

Thanks for all the support this challenge :)

• Like 3

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

On 3/29/2016 at 7:52 PM, zenLara said:

A 100 days challenge!! Whoaaaaaaa!!! I want to see that :) Post us the link when you've got it, please

I'm 2 days in and got my challenge up!

• Like 1

Feb-March 2022 Challenge