• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

SpecialSundae

The Exhilarating Edinburgh Encounter of Exciting Exercise Endeavours - 7-9 October 2016

It's that time again! The Scottish Nerds are putting on a European meet-up and inviting everyone else to come play with us.

There will be lifting and yoga and walking and gaming and drinking and eating and cooking (and hopefully some sleeping) and all in the gorgeous and fantastic city of Edinburgh.

edinburgh-travel.png

The dates are provisionally 7-9 October following a Doodle poll and ideas for the weekend are currently running as follows:

• Friday night: meet, eat and game - Possibly at Wings Edinburgh (they do have veggie options, but the main thing they have is multiple retro gaming consoles and lots of very unhealthy foods and drinks)
  • Saturday: options for lifting, yoga, walking, climbing, running, cooking and eating
  • Sunday: brunch and farewells.

We'll be putting together a little organising committee (and will add their names to this post once confirmed) but there's no limit to the fun we can have!

• Like 7

Following the thread. I will not know if I can make it for a while.

German nerd here, but sounds awesome! Will be following for sure, lets see if I can get vacation those days :)

Hi BarbarianBassBro, if you don't mind the question, where do you live in Germany? (I'll move there in about one and a half months)

Hey :)

I´m living in cologne, so quite far west (northrhine-westphalia). Will you move permanently to our beautiful country?

At least for a couple of years but I'll be in Berlin (so North East, closer to the other Frankfurt).

I'll stop the thread hijack now.

Yes yes, I'm in! Can I bring my sig oth? Not an official nerd, but he's well nerdy.

Significant others and/or any other friends who you feel would enjoy it are welcome! It's a gathering of new friends (although we two may meet a few weeks before).
  • Like 1

Wicked!  I am currently applying for a PhD at Durham University, as well as Grad Schemes/jobs, so regardless of what I end up doing after graduating I SHOULD be able to make this.  Excited regardless.

I've already started looking into a yoga class or workshop (£10-25pp, hopefully) and will look into costs for running a lifting workshop.

Any specific requests at this point?

There was a suggestion that people just sort their own accommodation and gather during the day/evening rather than trying to find group accommodation but we could always book a block at a hostel for all those travelling?

• Like 2

Oow this would be so great. I'm really hoping i can fit this in my budget(and get clearance from the big Chief, maybe that will even be harder...)

As usual, partners are fully welcome. Kids are more difficult due to the alcoholic escapades planned for the evenings and restricted access to gyms for kids.

Any volunteers for the planning committee? It's an excuse to meet up for coffee and cake on a regular basis!

• Like 1

SOMEONE SAID COFFEE

Reporting for duty, Cap'n.

Let's set a date for the first planning committee meeting, possibly somewhere with WiFi so any Nerds from outside Edinburgh who want to volunteer can join us via Google Hangouts or Skype?

• Like 2

I have just checked the cost for the ferry from Ijmuiden to Edinburgh Newcastle it's 99 euro for a 4 people cabin. (DFDS)

190 euro extra if you want to bring a car. How is the public transportation in Edinburgh?

I have just checked the cost for the ferry from Ijmuiden to Edinburgh it's 99 euro for a 4 people cabin. (DFDS)

190 euro extra if you want to bring a car. How is the public transportation in Edinburgh?

IN Edinburgh, the buses are pretty fantastic. Around the city (i.e. out to Fife), it's passable.

You're much better off not having a car in Edinburgh anyway, because parking is very expensive and bus passes are pretty cheap (c.£4 a day for unlimited travel). You can take the tram for the same price too.

This sounds fantastic! I will see what I can do to make it.

Woohoo!

I have just checked the cost for the ferry from Ijmuiden to Edinburgh it's 99 euro for a 4 people cabin. (DFDS)

As SpecialSundae Said, the city bus system is great, loads of buses and loads of routes, and the trams run regularly between the airport and the city centre. Where does the ferry arrive, exactly? If it's Newcastle, there are plenty of direct trains from there to Edinburgh Waverley (Central train station) for about £48 one way. 

• Like 1