• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mistr

Mistr hiits it again

Challenge 20 -  Mistr HIITs it again

More of the same as last challenge, plus cardio.

I did randori at aikido on Saturday. The two times I did not get killed by my ukes, I had to stop because I was winded. Bad sign. I am adding interval training to work on my aerobic endurance.

Exercise

Intervals 2x a week on knee/core days

Knee/core exercises 3x a week. I was getting through the whole series in three days a week. I expect that I will only have time for a couple exercises on interval days. I can do extra on weekends for bonus credit. No pressure to get them all done every week.

Shoulder/upper body exercises 2x a week.

Aikido

• Go to the chief instructors classes as much as possible in March. She will be out for knee surgery in April and May.
  • Go to one class each weekend. Ukemi class and yudansha class are already on my calendar. Go to advanced classes the other two weekends (usually taught by the chief instructor). 

I am training for my nidan exam. Three days a week is about right. Four days a week is great for training but not so great for the rest of my life.

Sleep and meditation

Meditation everything is a lot more fun when I’m not falling asleep. Go to bed on time. Work on increasing the number of days with 8+ hours sleep from last the January challenge. (>15/28) Last challenge was even worse. We're not going to talk about those numbers.

Ideally I would like to meditate every day. Shoot for more than last challenge (>19/28).

Creative projects and backlog

Do fun stuff. Piano, embroidery, knitting, spinning. I want this to be all positive. Writing it here helps me choose to do creative things instead of more dishes. :P

Adulting:

• Get my taxes filed by the end of the challenge.
  • Like 4

Well, I don't know what your randori schedule is like, but if it's not a frequent thing then, yeah. HIIT can be useful to make you fight longer.

Just, you now, watch yourself. Go hard until your body gets on the verge of breaking down and then... rest. You're wise, so you know what you're doing.

Life needs fun stuff. Cool. Let's go!

Week 1 Day 1

I did intervals on the elliptical machine for the first time in months. Just 15 minutes at 1.5 minutes easy; 30 seconds hard. Yeeesh, that was work. I could feel my heart rate going up more with each interval. My plan is to stay with 15 minutes and increase the difficulty. Next challenge I can increase the time. 

After work I decided to play piano and cook instead of meditate. I was very short on sleep, which does not help with mental focus. Not having a brain helps with playing piano. I can let my eyes and fingers coordinate without that slow detour through the brain. Strange as it seems, I am playing more now that I have constraints on access to the piano. I feel like I need to take advantage of the times when I am home and Elf is out. Before I could play whenever I wanted but hardly ever did.

Elf came back while I was working on a tune. Having someone else listening makes me self-conscious and screw up more. You'd think I'd be used to making a fool of myself by now, but it still gets to me. Probably a good thing in this case. I went to cook and Elf started playing on my newly repaired violin. He warned me that it would be screechy because he hadn't played for several years. I think he was just as self-conscious as I was, probably more.

He took some time to get it tuned, then picked out the same tune I'd been working on. His room is next to the kitchen, so I could hear everything and we could talk. He found the music for another old folksong, picked it out, then played with the bow. I thought it sounded fine. Not perfectly on all the notes, but pretty close. Much better than I expected for the first time playing on an unfamiliar instrument. WIN!!!!

I made bean soup with the stock from pulled pork, washed dishes and got to bed on time. A good day.

• Like 2

I like the efficiency of interval training.  Not magic, but it's possible to get some decent benefits from a training session that fits pretty neatly into a workout schedule.   (And I don't know when over-training kicks in for most people, because I suspect it's a complicated equation dealing with rest and recovery among other factors, but I really question the wisdom of high-volume training for most people.  I think the average body is more prone to wear issues than people initially realize, especially among adults training.  Kids can get away with a lot, and maybe just deal with stress fractures, but once you hit 30, I think you need to be a little more strategic about the repetitive stresses you put on your body.)

That does sound like a really good day.

Hulllo!!!

*hugs*

When is your nidan test?

Hiya! How have you been?

The current best guess for my test date is in October. Our organization is currently debating the criteria for dan tests. Testing is supposed to happen at regional seminars. The tricky bit is figuring out what counts as a "regional seminar". If we bring in a 7th dan instructor and invite all the dojos in the region to attend, does that count? Does the test have to happen away from your home dojo? Stay tuned for further developments.

Week 1 day 2

• Started off well with 8 hours sleep for a change. :)
  • 23 minutes meditation
  • upper body set at lunch. Switched from knee pushups to negatives, which felt surprisingly easier.
  • Did some batch cooking with Elf

I took a rest evening to sit and read with my cat on my lap. I needed the down time and I want to spend as much time as possible pampering my cat.

Over the last couple weeks she has gone from a healthy and active elderly kitty to hospice care status. Nothing obvious is wrong, she just doesn't want to eat. She will still beg for treats. We give her bits of ham or chicken. She licks them but doesn't eat them. She is barely eating the special wet cat food. I've seen the same pattern before with our previous 22 year-old cat and with an elderly friend. We are doing what we can to make the final stage of her life as good as it can be.

• Like 1

Aikido

• Go to one class each weekend. Ukemi class and yudansha class are already on my calendar. Go to advanced classes the other two weekends (usually taught by the chief instructor).

I really wish we had an ukemi class.  It would help I think SO MUCH.

Last night someone (a newer person to the dojo, but not aikido), got walloped last night night in the face twice because even though she knew an atemi was being thrown she wasn't reacting as if there was a punch at all.  So, she just left her head there.  And then got punched.  And got mad that she got punched.  After the instructor made a long talk about how you should move your head out of the way during the demo. (I know this.  Because I was the one being used for the demo.)

People.

I took a rest evening to sit and read with my cat on my lap. I needed the down time and I want to spend as much time as possible pampering my cat.

Over the last couple weeks she has gone from a healthy and active elderly kitty to hospice care status. Nothing obvious is wrong, she just doesn't want to eat. She will still beg for treats. We give her bits of ham or chicken. She licks them but doesn't eat them. She is barely eating the special wet cat food. I've seen the same pattern before with our previous 22 year-old cat and with an elderly friend. We are doing what we can to make the final stage of her life as good as it can be.

Awwwww :(

Kitty.  That's sad.  My family's first cat just.... stalked off to die in the woods when she felt old.  And my cat kinda.... met with a coyote and became a snack.  Poor pets.

Last night someone (a newer person to the dojo, but not aikido), got walloped last night night in the face twice because even though she knew an atemi was being thrown she wasn't reacting as if there was a punch at all.  So, she just left her head there.  And then got punched.  And got mad that she got punched.  After the instructor made a long talk about how you should move your head out of the way during the demo. 

Learning where you are open is an important lesson. Aikido uses atemi a LOT to take advantage of self-preservation responses. In basic class we ask people to touch their partners when they are open. Having someone tap your face gets the message across without leaving bruises. One of our bigger guys used to do jujitsu. He will grab, punch or reverse if he finds an opening when working with senior students. I appreciate that. I'm blissfully ignorant of my openings most of the time. That will get me killed in full speed practice.

• Like 1

Learning where you are open is an important lesson. Aikido uses atemi a LOT to take advantage of self-preservation responses. In basic class we ask people to touch their partners when they are open. Having someone tap your face gets the message across without leaving bruises. One of our bigger guys used to do jujitsu. He will grab, punch or reverse if he finds an opening when working with senior students. I appreciate that. I'm blissfully ignorant of my openings most of the time. That will get me killed in full speed practice.

I was literally throwing punches at my friend last night to show him that he was too close/back into me during his kotegaeshi.  He liked it. 

This woman seemed to complain after class that she doesn't do "defensive" ukemi because then somehow her aikido goes out the window.  I... kept quite that if you're not doing defensive ukemi that you're missing half of aikido.

See?  Sometimes I can have tact.

• Like 2

Sorry about your kitty.  You're doing the best for her *hugs*  Pat/Gryffudd sends *hugs* too.

This woman seemed to complain after class that she doesn't do "defensive" ukemi because then somehow her aikido goes out the window.  I... kept quite that if you're not doing defensive ukemi that you're missing half of aikido.

See?  Sometimes I can have tact.

Wut?  I mean, I do not practice your art, but neglecting the defensive side is never a good plan.

Being aware of the scarcity of piano time ensures that it is on your mind, and makes you more likely to practice?  Sounds like Elf is quite good with the violin!  Are any other family members musically inclined?

• Like 1

Wut?  I mean, I do not practice your art, but neglecting the defensive side is never a good plan.

Being aware of the scarcity of piano time ensures that it is on your mind, and makes you more likely to practice?  Sounds like Elf is quite good with the violin!  Are any other family members musically inclined?

Quite true. My teachers emphasize that ukemi is half the art. Not usually the showy half, but quite likely the more important half. Being able to fall safely is a skill that translates directly to daily life. Just because aikido is a "defensive" martial art does not mean that students should not give solid attacks. What is the point of training how to deal with a half-assed attack?

Quite right. Dumbledore plays bagpipes and has a good singing voice. Hermes does not play any instruments that I know of. However, he likes music. He is the one who figured out how to make the stereo system work with our electronic devices. B)  Last night I hooked up my laptop to the stereo so that I could listen to a favorite CD while I did dishes. My motivation to fix one of the CD players is dropping fast.

I caught the upper respiratory bug that is going around. Just coughing and feeling out of sorts so far. I'm taking megadoses of vitamin C and drinking tea. Yesterday I did my shoulder/core workout. I tried the next progression in bird-dog exercises - from knee/elbow touching to doing plain bird-dogs on an exercise ball. That looks easy but was much harder. Yay! Progress!

I am skipping HIIT and aikido today. If I'm feeling better I'll do yoga this evening. My knees are still being cranky for no good reason.

• Like 1

Yoga is a good call. Gentler exercise that stimulates your immunity is just going to be good for you. If walking is an option, then it's a good one to take. Get to feeling better!

Week 1 summary

Exercise: 1x HIIT, 1x upper body, 1x shoulder/core, 1+ knees.  Skipped Friday because I was sick.

Aikido: Taught one class, went to ukemi class and open mat on Sunday. Skipped Monday because I was short on sleep. Skipped Friday and Saturday because I was sick. Bleagh.

Sleep: 3 days with 8+ hours. Better than last week. I got a nap on Saturday to bring my total up to eight hours. That does not make up for staying up past midnight reading on Friday night.

Meditation: 23+22+20+21= 86 minutes + zen class

Creative projects: played piano 4x; got out my quilting project and worked on it. I figured out how to piece the backing fabric and got it cut.

Adulting: Nope.

I suppose I could count cleaning, laundry and cooking as adulting. I got a reasonable amount of those done. Regular chores are background level at this point. Not a lot of effort. There are still dishes in the sink because I did more cooking than washing up. I did a pretty good job of trading off between doing chores and relaxing. Signs of improvement - I got the ironing done before dancing on Sunday. That let me come home early, soak my feet and get to bed on time.

Modifications for week 2

This Saturday will be our annual Ball. I'm going to take a break from aikido and concentrate on getting my knees as healthy as possible for dancing. No HIIT this week. I want to do all the knee exercises and extra stretching.

I think I am past the worst of being sick. At least I'm past the headachey grouchy part. I still have a cough. A productive cough. Yuck.

I'll let my lungs clear out the gunk before I challenge them again. In the interest of more rest and recovery, I am skipping aikido again tonight. I didn't have weapons practice this morning because my partner is out of town. That let me meet my sleep goal and get meditation done before work.

So as not to be a total slug, I will use the time to do finances this evening. Maybe yoga if I feel inspired. More likely I'll play piano or go for a walk.

My weight was up 2.6 pounds from a week ago. That seems like a lot for how I was eating last week. Heck, I donated blood on Tuesday. That alone should give me a pound decrease. I figure that what I gained in a week, I can lose in a week. I want to wear my slinky black velvet dress to the ball. To do that, I need to stick to good eating and get lots of sleep. There will be plenty of treats at the after-ball party, the brunch the next day, and Pie Day next Monday. I'll save the carbs for then.

• Like 3

You seemed pretty grown up to me as I read it. And that's probably wise, deciding to step away from aikido for a bit to recover.

Oh man, that seems so much fun, getting ready to dance. :D

You IRON?!?!?!?  I think you are definitely adulting just fine.

What is the fuss? It's not hard to do. :P

At some point I will find more shirts that don't need ironing. As chores go, I kinda like ironing. I just have better things to do with the time. Oh, for a larger wardrobe budget. Some day.

You seemed pretty grown up to me as I read it. And that's probably wise, deciding to step away from aikido for a bit to recover.

Oh man, that seems so much fun, getting ready to dance. :D

I have not gone off the rails doing escapist things recently. I'm not sure if the credit for that should go here to NF challenges or to zen practice. I'm pretty sure the not getting stressed out part is from zen.

Getting ready to dance is soooooo much more fun when I can fit in my dresses and dance without pain. 

This year I have additional motivation for getting gussied up. Most of the time I wear casual clothes, sensible shoes and no makeup. Elf wears makeup all the time. I want to demonstrate that I can clean up and go full femme for a formal event.

Week 2 Days 1 & 2

Monday

20 minutes meditation

Knee PT at lunch. My knees were really tight at the beginning and much better after stretching. I find the M-shaped stretch helps a LOT. Lunges make my knees happier.

Adulting - folded and put away laundry, got through the pile of receipts and filing on my desk. Also made mango-pineapple salsa. I didn't play piano because Dumbledore and Hermes were having a meeting with a couple other people in the dining room. Grrrrr for enforced productivity.

Tuesday

Got 8 hours sleep again. Much better focus and productivity at work.

Upper body exercise - weights day. Slow and steady progress. This is my easiest exercise day.

Fun stuff - played piano, watched Mamma Mia with Elf.  Skipped meditation for family time. No regrets.

I made up the meditation time this morning. 29 minutes.

I stopped because I needed to get ready for work, not because I was sore or losing concentration. I'm working towards being able to do a short zen retreat in April or May. That work needs to be on knee and hip flexibility as much as on concentration. The physical part of zazen is challenging.

• Like 2

This year I have additional motivation for getting gussied up. Most of the time I wear casual clothes, sensible shoes and no makeup. Elf wears makeup all the time. I want to demonstrate that I can clean up and go full femme for a formal event.

Love it!