• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mistr

Mistr hiits it again

Week 2 summary

Exercise:  Done

knee/core  3 sessions. Bonus points for doing knee PT at home on my day off.

shoulder/upper body  1 session each.

aikido - taught one class, attended a class at a neighboring dojo with a guest instructor.

Sleep: 5 days with 8+ hours. Much better than week 1.

Meditation: 20+29+20 = 69 minutes in three sessions.

I chose sleep and social time over meditation this week. I skipped Zen class on Sunday to attend the after-ball brunch and see friends from out of town. I could have made it to Zen if time change had not also happened the same day. I got to the brunch at 11:00 and left at 12:30. Without time change I would have had plenty of time to get to Zen. Not that it would have done much good, I only had six hours sleep and would have fallen asleep during meditation. :P

Everything else:

Cooking, so much cooking. Over the course of the week I made:

• mango/pineapple salsa
  • granola
  • cauliflower cheeseburger casserole
  • guacamole
  • granola bars
  • chicken breast with lemon and garlic
  • baked sweet potatos
  • vegetarian shepherds pie
  • kurnik

Saturday afternoon and evening were taken up with my dance group's annual ball. I led the practice session going through the harder dances in the afternoon. That went well. I danced all but two of the 18 dances on the program. I skipped a couple that have too much bouncing (pas de basque step). My feet were sore at the end but I never got even a little winded. Dumbledore was thrilled that he was able to get through most of the dances having had minimal practice. He got far less sweaty than at previous dances, proving that his exercise program is working.

Photo of me and Dumbledore at the ball

r0mNVxk.jpg?1

I got a lot of positive feedback. First I tried on the black dress and asked Dumbledore if it looked okay. His expression said "YEAH WOWSA!" before he even opened his mouth. B).

Elf helped me with my eyeliner. I'm so farsighted that I can't see my eyes in the mirror without glasses. My eyelids are just a blur. Not so good for drawing a smooth line. Elf had to leave for work before we finished getting ready. I wanted him to see the full kit with my hair up and Dumbledore in a kilt. I also was wearing a full length black leather coat. Sorry, no photo of that. We stopped by Elf's work and found him outside on a smoke break. He was suitably impressed. He said I looked like I had stepped out of the Matrix or a vampire movie. Later his manager asked him "who were those people?". He said that we were his crazy roommates. Very true.

I also got a lot of compliments at the ball. One of my friends said that I took the (non-existent) prize for most elegant.

A good week.

• Like 3

You wear the dress very well. :)

Also, lots of cooking this week! Very good. I'm glad you had such a great week. :)

I also got a lot of compliments at the ball. One of my friends said that I took the (non-existent) prize for most elegant.

I concur!  Looks like you had a fantastic time!

You two look great and happy together :-)  Sounds like you had a great time and your knees were well fortified by your PT exercises..

5 days of 8+ hours of sleep? You skipped meditation for epic sleep and epic social time.  Standards and all.  You wouldn't skip it for less.

Great food too.  I have to make that cauliflower cheeseburger casserole again. 

Week 3 days 1-4

Meditation 4/4

Sleep: 6 hr Sunday night, ~8 hr Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, 7.5 hours Thursday

More confirmation that the last 30 minutes matters for me. I was cheerful and productive at work Tuesday-Thursday. This morning I am back to wanting to avoid the tedious things.

I stayed up too late last night spending time with Dumbledore. In the cosmic scheme of things I think I made the right choice. We had a good evening and sat down with our calendars and planned ahead for the next couple months. We realized that we have to schedule time together or else we won't see each other. This weekend is a fine example. He is busy with gaming and friends all of Saturday. My Saturday is mostly open. Sunday I have yudansha class and Zen at the dojo, then dancing in the evening. I'll be home for a little while in the afternoon. During that time I need to make treats for dancing. Not a lot of opportunity for quality time. Between our various commitments during the week, the next time we are sure to see each other is next Thursday. [Gazing fondly on each other's slumbering forms does not count]

Exercise: 3/3 with plans for HIIT and knee exercises at lunch and aikido this evening. On track.

I did my bodyweight upper body set on Tuesday and had DOMS in my pecs and upper arms on Wednesday. I take that as a sign that I am hitting the right level of effort. Granny Nogg shared this link on pull-up progressions. It features a female martial artist who is older than me! I've been feeling discouraged at my lack of progress towards pull-ups. I did three sets of 30-second hollow-body holds yesterday. I could feel it, but they were not hard. I could easily have done longer times or more sets. I tried doing the active hang from a neutral grip position. That was hard. I'm thinking I will add a couple of those every day to kick start those. Dumbledore agreed that we could install a pull-up bar. Any suggestions on where to buy one and what kind to get?

The rising star aikidoka from my dojo is thinking about teaching a series to get us over the hump of learning feather falls. I can do the preliminary exercises reliably. I just don't have the confidence and coordination to do them from mid-air. She said that a lack of core strength might be a problem for some of us. Good thing I've been doing lots of core exercises. I'm not to the level of a 16-year old gymnast, but I'm stronger than a lot of our students. Which means she is likely to target something I've missed. It will be good for me. :P

• Like 1

Weekend notes

Lots of aikido. Two hours Friday, 1.5 Saturday and 1.5 Sunday plus some open mat weapons review. This morning I practiced boken katas with my weapons partner. I'm going to class tonight even though I'm sick because this is the last time our chief instructor is teaching before she has knee surgery.  Well, technically she'll be teaching on Saturday before the kyu tests, but really that will just be warm ups.

The advanced classes have been mostly randori and giawaza with some weapons take-a-ways thrown in for variety. I have to work on keeping my center engaged (don't stick my butt out) and bending my knees. And not trying to muscle techniques with partners who outweigh me by 100 pounds. You know, do aikido. We have several people training for upcoming shodan and nidan tests. I compared notes with one of them after class. We agreed that we were getting used to dying in randori in front of sensei. With enough practice we might stop worrying and just do aikido.

-----------------------

I have a sore throat again. I must have caught a different virus from the one I had two weeks ago. No one else at home is sick. I can still talk and do things, I just am grouchy and have no motivation. In spite of that I did manage to do some desperately needed garden clean-up on Saturday. I also got the oven cleaned from my springform pan incident last week. Dumbledore made a comment as I was finishing up. I said "if you care about those last bits of burnt-on gunk on the floor of the oven, you are welcome to spray it again and scrub it yourself". So he did. Apparently Elf also did a round of scrubbing. The oven looks vastly better. I put foil on the bottom to minimize future incidents.

-----------------------------

A couple more things happened that make me wonder about Elf's parents. Elf bought himself a new jacket last week. It was on sale for $20 and looks good on him. He was afraid that we would yell at him for making a frivolous purchase. WTF?!? A spring/fall jacket is a necessity and it is HIS MONEY. He gets to spend the money he earns on anything he wants. He does not have to justify it to anyone.

The second thing was an interaction with the police. He got pulled over because my car had a headlight out. They would have just given him a warning, but they realized (after he passed the breath test) that he was under 21. So he got a ride home and a ticket. I felt bad because it was my car. Had I realized the headlight was out, I would have fixed it and the whole thing would have been avoided. Elf was certain that I would be mad at him. WTF? He didn't do anything wrong.

The one time he actually did screw up, I did not get mad at him. I told him about it and he promised to pay better attention. And he left me a chocolate bar and an apology note. It was very sweet. I have to think that there is a female authority figure in his past who was a holy terror. Hopefully me continuing to be supportive and treating him like an adult will let him recover from whatever demons he still carries. Everyone has to go through some of this when they first move out from their parents. Elf is having to learn it faster than most. I hope that he gets the adult skills he needs before he moves in with his boyfriend. From the bits I've heard, his boyfriend has not had any chance to learn adult skills.

• Like 3

As far as pull up bars go, one is pretty much as good as the other. That said, for the sake of your home decor you'll probably want something that has a hard rest against the door frame as opposed to the soft and circular ones. I've found with mine that, even though it's lasted for years, it does leave marks on every doorframe I've ever put it on.

Also re: Elf, yeah. There's something in there. Most people I seen who act like that, they had someone in their lives telling 'em they weren't no good for a long time. It's going to take him a while to work through that, it really will, but if you keep being kind to him, one day he just might.

Hope that happens.

On an unrelated note, strong core for the win!

• Like 4

Challenge 20 Wrap-up

Exercise: Only 3 HIIT sessions for the whole challenge. I took a couple actual rest days because I was sick pretty much the whole 4 weeks. I'm mostly on track for regular exercise.

Aikido: 8 classes, 2 weapons session, plus teaching. Done

Sleep: 8+ hours 15/28 days. Same as January. Two days were only 10 minutes short of 8 hours. Better than last challenge. I need to keep working on this.

Meditation: 18 sessions at home + 3 Zen classes = 21/28. Done

Creative projects: Piano several days. One day of quilting (or was that last challenge?) I also read two Terry Pratchett novels. No spinning, knitting or embroidery.

Adulting: I helped Elf do his taxes yesterday (the last day of the challenge). I got as far as downloading the tax forms I think I need and looking through the file of tax documents. This week for sure.

Overall I've been doing about as well as feasible on keeping things going. No big fails with me goofing off or playing computer games until the wee hours. In fact, I have had very little recreation time. A lot of my so-called free time has gone to cooking or doing chores around the house. I've done some fun social things, just not much unscheduled time to myself. I hope that next challenge I'll have less stress at home and at work and will finally get over this stupid cold.

ThJLvx9.jpg?1

Shadow (5/1997 - 5/26/2016)

On Saturday we decided to finally call the vet and have Shadow put to sleep. She stopped showing interest in food weeks ago. Even her favorite things like ham and roast chicken. Every day for the last three weeks I've gotten up and checked to see if she was still breathing. She was still able to move around on Friday, although she was terribly weak. On Saturday she wasn't able to pick up her head. She probably would have passed on her own, but we did not want to take a chance on her suffering at the end. She was my cat through the 10 years that Dumbledore was away for grad school. She especially appreciated being an only cat for the last several years.

She would meet me at the door when I got home and lay on my chest and purr when I went to bed. The photo shows her in her favorite spot on a heating pad on the couch in my office. I miss her terribly.

• Like 5

So sorry about Shadow.  19 is a very good long life for a kitty and you loved her dearly.  A heating pad on a couch next to your work space is a perfect kitty perch.

Hopefully you can have some more relaxation time next challenge?  Your Adulting is great and you got ALL THE THINGS done, but you need time for you as well.  And time to spend with Dumbledore and your family :-)

• Like 1

I am so sorry about your fur baby :( I hope you find the time for you...I'm discovering just how important that is!

14 hours ago, Teirin said:

Hopefully you can have some more relaxation time next challenge?  Your Adulting is great and you got ALL THE THINGS done, but you need time for you as well.  And time to spend with Dumbledore and your family :-)

True, true. I've been pondering that. Pretty much my only free time is with my family.

On 4/3/2016 at 8:02 PM, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

I am so sorry about your kitty!!!  As exasperated as I get with the antics of ours, I can't imagine not having the pets around.  

Thank you. I was thinking back and realized that the last time I didn't have a cat was in 1989. My first cat became my dad's cat when I moved home for a summer after college. The cat knew a plush deal when he saw it. My parents agreed to keep the cat "temporarily" when I found an apartment that didn't allow pets. Dad made it clear that I should continue to find no-pet apartments so he had an excuse to keep the cat over mom's objections. That was emotionally easier because I could see that my cat had a good home.

I keep expecting a black fluffball to meet me when I get home. The house feels emptier without her. One of my tasks for next weekend is to take the cat food to the vet to donate. And finish scrubbing out the cat boxes so I can store them in the garage. Having the reminders out of sight will help. I'm sure we will adopt another cat at some point. Just not right now.