Alexandrite - This is it! (Maybe?)

This is my 10th challenge (yeah, NF rocks!!) and potentially a big celebratory one as I prepare for baby #3's arrival!

My 'due date' hovers around March 25th, so it could potentially happen between challenges or in the beginning of the next one. Either way, it's down to the last month! So what will I be up to?

Mind:

Got to get that mind in the right place for all this. I want to continue doing bible/daily verse time daily. I also want to write out a useful and helpful birth plan for the hospital (since I've never had a baby in a hospital before) that will help us have a good experience with staff.

Body:

Walking, yoga, and/or daily healthy activity for me. No more long car rides, and no more lifting the other littles or heavy stuff. Safe movement!

Matter:

I've slowly been preparing the household and finances for the baby. I overcame a huge hurdle last challenge in getting a full Samaritan Ministries packet sent out with our upcoming maternity needs and bills we've paid so far, which means they can start working on processing our need and hopefully we will see some money coming in that will balance the medical expenses. Need to follow up on this. Other things on our to do list: I bought a new computer, set it up. Get all bills for March/April paid or on autopay. Pack a hospital bag. Order some bulk items on amazon to stock house. Basically just prepare for baby arrival!

I will also be working on the Assassin mini here and there. Stars-approved modifications for pregnancy: Basic squats, wall push-ups, seated rows (with blue resistance band? Not sure of weight), side planks held 5 sec each time.

Yeah, time to party!

Sent by my Navi-powered device!

• Like 1

Brain-Building Assassin, a.k.a Radical Domestic Jill-of-All-Trades

Battle Log | Challenges: Current |18 |17 |16 |15 |14 |13 |12 |11 |109 | 87 | 65432 | 1  

Isaiah 40:30-31

Yeah 10th challenge!

Your due date is my mom AND sister's birthday.  It's a good day!  I hope it happens by then :)  Also, wonderful that you're still thinking about being active, so far into the pregnancy.  You're a rock star.

• Like 1

Level 21 Wild Elf Ranger/Assassin

Spoiler

I'm not really sure these stats are relevant anymore...

STR: 31 DEX: 26 STA: 30  CON: 24  WIS: 30 CHA: 26

Current Challenge

Yeah 10th challenge!

Your due date is my mom AND sister's birthday. It's a good day! I hope it happens by then :) Also, wonderful that you're still thinking about being active, so far into the pregnancy. You're a rock star.

Yes, I feel the 25th is a good day, and avoids an Easter delivery! And yeah, I will remain active as much as possible if it means more chance of avoiding long labor and/or the need for interventions!

I'm just getting so huge I can set stuff on my tummy now, I can't imagine how much further out I'm going to get, haha. Pics for sure later on. It's new every time no matter how many kids you've had, I tell you what!

• Like 1

Battle Log | Challenges: Current |18 |17 |16 |15 |14 |13 |12 |11 |109 | 87 | 65432 | 1  

Yes, I feel the 25th is a good day, and avoids an Easter delivery! And yeah, I will remain active as much as possible if it means more chance of avoiding long labor and/or the need for interventions!

Excellent plan!  Of course, it might avoid an Easter delivery this year, but there's no avoiding the eventual Easter birthdays...

• Like 1

Level 21 Wild Elf Ranger/Assassin

Spoiler

I'm not really sure these stats are relevant anymore...

STR: 31 DEX: 26 STA: 30  CON: 24  WIS: 30 CHA: 26

Current Challenge

Well crap.

Today I had an OB appt. Just routine. And they told me I was Group B positive so I would have to have IV antibiotics during labor. And it needs to be done at least 4 hours before I actually give birth, preferably. Guess what that means? She put the kibosh on laboring at home for longer, and she also had to require a heplock/IV insert as soon as I arrive, instead of holding off a while like we had planned. And then she mentioned off the cuff about how I will be wearing a fetal monitor band anyway... yeah, that just went a different direction than I wanted.

So! I get to labor for longer in a medical environment with an IV first thing and people wanting to monitor me constantly. I need ways of handling this positively. We're going to tour the room soon (there's only one) and I'm going to look for ways that I can hang up fabric, curtains, posters, anything I can to "hide" the hospital.

I did manage to tell her that my uterus is sensitive (always has been) and she said "minimal touching?" and I was all "definitely." So at least we have that clear. I'm not going to end up in stirrups on my back with a doctor pressing on my belly, that's for sure. I'll give birth in the bathroom if I have to in order to avoid "convenient" positioning for the doctor, haha.

I'm trying to have a good attitude about it all. Today was a busy day, and I ate a banana split for the second night in a row. Coping! Haha

I saw your post for the mentor to complete the mini just after I had the thought, I can't mentor anyone on nerd fitness I'm still learning. However, I had two munchkins in two different hospitals with no pain meds. Both times I had great experiences.

My first one took forever, so my doctor had me experiment with different yoga postures to help manage my pain. It helped a lot. My second kid came within an hour of us arriving to the hospital. There were concerns about him not dropping, so the doctor had an anesthesiologist on standby. Thankfully I didn't need a c section.

The birth plans are handy, but I found the staff to be attentive to me despite me not being the only one in the wing.

It sounds like you're ready and prepared to be more prepared than I was.

If you have questions feel free to ask.

• Like 1

Druid - Assassin - Adventurer Level 18

Challenges: [Current
[18} [17] [16] [15] [14] [13] [12] [11] [10] [9] [8] [7] [6] [5] [4] [3] [ 2 ] [ 1 ]

I saw your post for the mentor to complete the mini just after I had the thought, I can't mentor anyone on nerd fitness I'm still learning. However, I had two munchkins in two different hospitals with no pain meds. Both times I had great experiences.

My first one took forever, so my doctor had me experiment with different yoga postures to help manage my pain. It helped a lot. My second kid came within an hour of us arriving to the hospital. There were concerns about him not dropping, so the doctor had an anesthesiologist on standby. Thankfully I didn't need a c section.

The birth plans are handy, but I found the staff to be attentive to me despite me not being the only one in the wing.

• Like 1

[18} [17] [16] [15] [14] [13] [12] [11] [10] [9] [8] [7] [6] [5] [4] [3] [ 2 ] [ 1 ]

• Like 1

It's okay, usually us assassins just replace multi-posts with random GIFs, as an offering to the forum sprites or something, haha. I'd love to have another mentor, or even accomplice? Since we are both facing big body medical changes and will both be on a road to recovery of some sort by the end of this challenge, beginning of next. Also, you pressure cook, and I love pressure cooking too!

I appreciate you sharing experiences, I think I need to hear more of them to normalize it in my mind? It's helping. I had an awful night last night and couldn't sleep, and had bad dreams of course. First time all pregnancy I've woken up crying. But even though I feel 'hungover' today I feel better inside. I dragged the kids and myself out to get errands done that really needed doing as part of the Matter stuff (DMV, insurance stuff, mailing cards, etc).

I'm exhausted and going to nap now, but my intention is to wake up and do some yoga or Assassin mini stuff. Have to keep at it before I dive into the dark world of baking and eating all the bad things that taste so good...

• Like 2

Accomplices would be fabulous for the reasons you mention. As for pressure cooking, I've only by using the pressure cooker since Christmas and I have no idea how I survived without it. When it's my night to cook, chances are it's pressure cooked. It should be a mandatory family appliance. :peaceful:

I was thinking about you last night after I finally turned off my computer from my own insomnia. It's definitely going to be different from home, but going in positive and as relaxed as possible will help tremendously. God is totally in control. I'm not sure about the hospitals in your area, but the two I went to had the delivery room separate from the room I was placed in after the baby came. There were also tubs available so if I had wanted to use them I could. My second one came fast enough that I didn't have many choices. I can't even tell you what the room looked like.

In hindsight the only thing I would do different if I had another kid coming, would be to have a care package assembled of my favorite goodies (a mix of healthy and special) because the food is far from home cookin'.

The hospital isn't going to be perfect, but your baby will be.

• Like 1

Thank you! That's what I needed to hear. We actually live in a small rural town of less than 2000 people but the hospital is modern enough. They only have one room for delivery, and I will most likely be sent home right away unless I need further care postpartum. I'm just facing a lot of time *in* the hospital laboring because I have to have those antibiotics.

My husband and I discussed Smoothie recipes, snack ideas, for during labor, and I will be purchasing a birthing stool to bring with me. They have a Swiss ball available in my size if needed. I also saw some photos yesterday of alternative ways to use the standard hospital bed with your partner for support during labor.

Dr. Focker even offered to take photos of every nurse that works there and a little tidbit of fun info about them to make me more familiar with staff, haha. It was endearing that he would go that far.

I'm baking carrot cake cupcakes riiiiiiiight now.... mwahahaha

Oh yes, and a friend gave us a pressure cooker years back and I've loved it almost every time I've cooked with it. Especially now that I have the hang of it. There's such great websites for recipes too! I actually braised some pork tenderloin in milk recently and my husband and I were shocked by how good it was!

Hey, I just sent you a PM with some stuff, but apparently I should have looked at your thread first. :)

I am also group B strep positive, and also had to have the heplock/IV.  For the most part, it doesn't get in your way, especially if the IV isn't actually hooked up.  The monitor can be kinda annoying.  If you get a good nurse, they'll mostly pay attention to you, rather than watching the monitor.  Tell the nurse to check you, not the monitor, if you've got one who only wants to look at the print out.  If they have the equipment, really push to have them give you a wireless one.  It's a LOT better.

On the having to be at the hospital longer than you want to for labor front, I HIGHLY recommend stuffing yourself with as much high-energy food as you can get yourself to eat before you head off to the hospital.  There is a good chance they won't let you eat anything once you get there (especially if you end up with any interventions).  With my second, for whatever reason, they got so super paranoid about that they wouldn't even let me drink water.  Which was awful, and I ended up burning through all my energy reserves with both kids, but even worse with the second (it didn't help that I was getting sick, either, but that's a slightly different issue).

Most of the birthing beds can be configured in many different ways, which is pretty cool.  Also, if you think it'll help, don't be afraid to put the ball ON the bed.  I ended up putting the back of the bed up, setting the ball on the bed, and then kneeling in front of the ball and just resting on it quite a bit.  It was great, and much more comfortable than trying to do that on the floor.

• Like 1

Wood Elf Waywatcher Mandalorian (Assassin/Ranger hybrid)

Dr. Focker even offered to take photos of every nurse that works there and a little tidbit of fun info about them to make me more familiar with staff, haha. It was endearing that he would go that far.

I'm baking carrot cake cupcakes riiiiiiiight now.... mwahahaha

Dr. Focker is demonstrating the ultimate of true love. :)

Kind of jealous of the carrot cake cupcakes. I'm working at the local library and far from an oven... <sigh>

I forgot about the ball, but my doctor for the first munchkin had me use it to ease labor pains. Having it on the bed was definitely better. I ultimately ended up in a different position for birth because my water didn't break on it's own.

It sounds like you've thought of everything you can think of. I'm excited for you.

• Like 1

Hey, I just sent you a PM with some stuff, but apparently I should have looked at your thread first. :)

I am also group B strep positive, and also had to have the heplock/IV. For the most part, it doesn't get in your way, especially if the IV isn't actually hooked up. The monitor can be kinda annoying. If you get a good nurse, they'll mostly pay attention to you, rather than watching the monitor. Tell the nurse to check you, not the monitor, if you've got one who only wants to look at the print out. If they have the equipment, really push to have them give you a wireless one. It's a LOT better.

On the having to be at the hospital longer than you want to for labor front, I HIGHLY recommend stuffing yourself with as much high-energy food as you can get yourself to eat before you head off to the hospital. There is a good chance they won't let you eat anything once you get there (especially if you end up with any interventions). With my second, for whatever reason, they got so super paranoid about that they wouldn't even let me drink water. Which was awful, and I ended up burning through all my energy reserves with both kids, but even worse with the second (it didn't help that I was getting sick, either, but that's a slightly different issue).

Most of the birthing beds can be configured in many different ways, which is pretty cool. Also, if you think it'll help, don't be afraid to put the ball ON the bed. I ended up putting the back of the bed up, setting the ball on the bed, and then kneeling in front of the ball and just resting on it quite a bit. It was great, and much more comfortable than trying to do that on the floor.

This is such great info, thank you! She said I won't have to be hooked up all the time, just get the antibiotics and then leave the heplock in. I hate needles, especially during labor or postpartum, it's always very painful for me, so I was trying to avoid them altogether, haha. I'm not quite sure yet what the monitoring will be like. I will ask during my tour probably next week.

I will most likely be smuggling food in if I can (maybe a premade smoothie) but honestly my body purges whatever food is in it once labor gets going (happened both labors so far). Even with the 33 hour labor of my son, I hardly ate anything during and eventually they gave me IV fluids to bolster my efforts.

This is only a critical access hospital, so I've already been told that if the baby starts coming early they helicopter me out to a hospital that has a NICU (about 2-4 hours away by car depending on which direction). They do have a surgeon, and my OB I think does c-sections (*shudder*), but she even told me she has only done two episiotomies her entire career and prefers to stay away from the cutting and such interventions. I'm doing everything I can to give myself the best start on this whole labor thing.

And yes, Dr. Focker is really trying hard to assuage my irrational preggo fears. He knows I tend to lean towards controlling a situation rather than going with it. But each labor it gets easier to understand what the body is asking of me, so I just need to have confidence in that feeling. Everyone around me keeps saying they think the baby will come early, haha. I've had some intense baby movement that caused odd Braxton hicks each time, and I can tell my baby has moved down and my body is getting ready. Guess I will see. I don't really know what is considered "early" since both other kids were over their due date by the time they arrived (6 and 4 days respectively).

Adventures in babyland!

Dr. Focker is demonstrating the ultimate of true love. :)

Kind of jealous of the carrot cake cupcakes. I'm working at the local library and far from an oven...

I forgot about the ball, but my doctor for the first munchkin had me use it to ease labor pains. Having it on the bed was definitely better. I ultimately ended up in a different position for birth because my water didn't break on it's own.

It sounds like you've thought of everything you can think of. I'm excited for you.

Yes, birthing ball is my friend! Resting on it helps so much with back labor. I even thought about bringing my Moby wrap and some printed instructions on how to do a pelvic press type thing with two assistants to help open up the pelvis more. I bet that would throw the nurses for a loop! The midwives used it on me with my first labor because my son descended with his head cocked towards a shoulder rather than chin tucked.

And funny you should mention library, as we baked these specifically for a Baking event/fundraiser our library is having, with a cake and cupcake walk and pie auction to raise money. I was asked to supoly some goodies!

And speaking of water breaking, I'm always curious about how many women actually have their water break in the dramatic movie fashion before they have any idea they are in labor, you know what I mean? I certainly didn't. Broke my own midway through the first labor because the sack was bubbled ahead of the baby's head, and second time it broke about half way through labor on its own?

Just funny how all our bodies and each labor is different!

Read your message Elennare, thank you!

I just had a great, epic day going to a fundraiser/pie event for the library. There were quite a few mothers there that assured me it is going to be a great experience at the hospital, that the nurses really do know you and your situation because of small town community-ness, and that there really is just one room and then you're done, put in recovery, and then sent home if there are no issues. It was great.

I was also told that 37 weeks is the cutoff for not having to get flown out if I go into early labor, though of course I want to make it to full term. And personally I would rather be flown out if the baby comes before 38 weeks, tbh. So let's just say baby stay in there until we reach 40? Deal.

New computer set up yesterday. I will never put off upgrading technology again. It took two days for our 10 year old desktop to limp its way through backing up our files (all kinds of delays). Took less than 10 minutes for the new comp to transfer all those 34,000 files over. Yep. Biggest time suck was having to override all the stupid defaults Microsoft sets up, and protect myself from overt spying and breaches of privacy in the name of commercialism. I feel better now that it's all done.

Baby shower is now scheduled for next weekend, yay! And we are getting a free crib from a friend today. And I installed the carseat yesterday! And Dr. Focker and I talked about to do stuff to get ready, like meals, firewood, organizing and moving the stuff in trailer/garage, etc. It's been good!

I certainly hit my activity levels needed today. And mentally I got up early and spent some time just chilling out so I feel better on that front too.

Happy Saturday!

Very productive weekend, tell you what.

Dr Focker and I got some quality time to really hash out stuff that's been going on with his work and such. He's in such a better place now and he is getting more and more excited about the baby!

We got a ton of other stuff done and had dinner with a great family last night. I woke up this morning to a disaster house and immediately started cleaning, haha. I had a dental appt that luckily didn't turn out to be anything, so I was grateful.

Mind - doing good. Need to take some time to read a bit more, but honestly I'm in a happy place right now with the birth/labor stuff thanks to all you great NF supporters!

Body - not necessarily yoga, but I've been doing a lot of walking, activity, cleaning, or squats for the mini, haha.

Matter - totally brought a ton of stuff in from the trailer, unpacked a bunch, washing baby stuff, and working on getting finances all settled. I think honestly I've done all the big things and I will be able to take care of the rest just fine, but better safe than sorry. I don't want a crazy household and people coming to visit and seeing that... haha.

Mini - I finished my lightsaber today AND claimed a rival, haha. Briniel actually has some interesting things going on organization wise that would be nice for our household. I already knew about Pomodoro and such, I do it pretty much naturally now, but the scheduling is tough for me.

• Like 1

Glad to read you had a good and productive weekend. Briniel became my rival too and I started reading the article she linked to about why we procrastinate (http://waitbutwhy.com/2013/10/why-procrastinators-procrastinate.html ) I didn't actually read it yet, but my kids and I got a kick out of the cartoons and could totally relate to the monkey appearing.

So I'm assuming you've run out of things to do and can now just kick back, relax, play some games, read lots... :)

• Like 1

Hi Mentee! What are you looking for in a mentor?

And what topic(s) were you wanting most to work on?

How did you start on the no sugar path? I'm feeling like I eat in moderation mostly so it's not too bad, but I'm always thinking about it because I not only crave it, I had hypoglycemia when I was younger. I was able to "cure" it in college by cutting sugar intake, dropping white bread and white rice, and modifying meal schedules so I ate more frequently, but I'm not so sure that I feel "healthy" these days. I've reverted back to eating all of the above, and I love to bake (comfort activity). Wondering how your honey maple syrup replacement stuff is working?

• Like 1

Glad to read you had a good and productive weekend. Briniel became my rival too and I started reading the article she linked to about why we procrastinate (http://waitbutwhy.com/2013/10/why-procrastinators-procrastinate.html ) I didn't actually read it yet, but my kids and I got a kick out of the cartoons and could totally relate to the monkey appearing.

So I'm assuming you've run out of things to do and can now just kick back, relax, play some games, read lots... :)

I wish this were the case, but the house doesn't manage itself, and my two children are 4 and 2 so... yeah. I'm just doing the best I can to pace myself - one activity out and about max per day, and not overdoing it with keeping up on the cleaning, cooking, or other chores. Taking breaks, etc.

I have a few books I want to read but never find myself with more than a few minutes before I'm interrupted by some kind of drama with the kids, haha.

• Like 2