Hi folks, 

I'm a day late... these short cycles just don't give me enough time to figure out what I want to do with the next challenge! 

l0egxm9vwbtqxjthqhnb.gif

(for the record, I spent a while looking for ranger-ly, crossfitter-ly gifs. Half of the cool ones linked back to one of Rurik's threads here on NF! So here's one of an F-15 flying through the Cascade Mountains)

On to the challenge goals. First, the daily stuff:

• Read Stoic philosophy. I highly recommend Seneca's "Letters to a Stoic" (easy one-a-day reads), and have Marcus Aurelius's "Meditations" next to my bed. I'm going to aim for 5 letters/chapters a week. (+Wis, +Cha)

958716047-Marcus-Aurelius-truth-fact-quo

• Walk and PT.  70k steps is a minimum/week, 100k is the goal. I can usually hit 10k in a day at my walking desk, but this should help me stay active on the weekends. (+Cons)

Crossfit comes relatively easily, even though I will be travelling a bunch and next week I won't get to lift. Walking helps me normalize my metabolism, mood, and lots of other stuff. Plus, it helps me troubleshoot when I'm tight in my quads/hammies. To that end, I also need to be doing daily leg lifts, band walks, clamshells, lunges, side lunges, etc. to get my wobbly runner's knee back in working order. 

• Figure out what the heck to eat. Track 6 of 7 days each week on MFP and transition from pure low-carb/keto to FD 2.0 via a 2-week trial. 

Last week I did a sort of experiment in fat fasting/ketosis. It rocked. I dropped below my "goal weight," and as I added calories back into my diet my energy levels stabilized. I even felt great during 16.1. I was cruising... until last weekend. I tanked. So I thought  maybe it was time for a re-feed. At this point, I have spent most of the last 48 hours eating all the things. It turns out that's a crappy way to refeed, and I probably was low on iron if anything. I'm also starting my afternoon on 3g carbs and feeling like in the next couple days I'll be back on track. Anyways, you can read about the first few days of the experiment in my Daily Battle Log. It was complete overkill, and I've just fasted for 16 hours and am finally feeling alive again. So, I'm launching into a low-carb swing for the next couple days, which (I expect) will be broken up by my birthday in a couple of days. From there on out, I'm going to try to hit the macro recommendations in FD 2.0

lCcA9lQ.gif

In addition, I have a checklist for the things I need to get done at some point during this challenge. I'll try to get at least one done per week... some things will happen without any real effort from me, so I had to have more than 4!

• Chart out macro goals for FD 2.0 (Flexible Dieting)
  • Turn 27
  • Update my "progress photos" gallery
  • Finish that chip-carved coat rack that's sitting in the garage awaiting its last layer of Poly
  • Send a post card from somewhere I've never been
  • Ruck, at least if it's just with my laptop pack in the airport
  • Attend the BF's bro's wedding
  • Do something that is *significantly* outside my comfort zone

To keep myself on-track/focused, I need to check in on NF regularly. Like, minimum 10 posts a week regularly. Oyve! Here we go!

• Like 5

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

(for the record, I spent a while looking for ranger-ly, crossfitter-ly gifs. Half of the cool ones linked back to one of Rurik's threads here on NF!)

Sorry!  I'm something of a gif whore!  :P

• Like 2

[ Level ?? ] Thunderbro Maximus of the Thunderlords Legion

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

FWIW, Tanking isn't always a bad thing.

True, but it felt different/longer than a "I just quit sugar" tank. I wonder if I might have been low on iron, because the carb-binge that followed didn't give me the usual *jolt* of energy. 

Sorry!  I'm something of a gif whore!  :tongue:

Evidently we have similar tastes in Gifs :)

• Like 1

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

I checked the first thing off the checklist last night! Looking at the list, I might be through half the list by this time next week. 

• Turn 27
  • Finish that chip-carved coat rack that's sitting in the garage awaiting its last layer of Poly
  • Like 3

Flexible Dieting/IIFYM was a game changer for me.  Heading there from Paleo completely changed everything!  More fuel for workouts, quicker recovery, feeling more full throughout the day...

• Like 1

[ Level ?? ] Thunderbro Maximus of the Thunderlords Legion

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

Flexible Dieting/IIFYM was a game changer for me.  Heading there from Paleo completely changed everything!  More fuel for workouts, quicker recovery, feeling more full throughout the day...

Awesome!! That is really really encouraging. What are your macros? What formula/guideline did you use to get there?

I'm a little nervous since I work from home quite often... I tend to eat my allowances early in the day and wind up grumpy at the end of the day.  Here's my breakdown (as of yesterday):

emma-stone-gifs-eating-cutie-cupcake0406

High-intensity life

61g fat

122 g protein

180g carbs 

Low-intesity life (goals for non-work days)

61g fat

122g protein

146g carbs

• Like 1

I have to laugh at myself a little bit... there's no good way to start a "baseline" IIFYM experiment over a birthday weekend! I was actually not eating terribly (okay, there was kaiserschmarrn for breakfast, but still...) and then I got to my parents' house for dinner. It was a binge. The good thing was that it was a binge on grilled veggies, grilled salmon, sweet potato fries, jarlsberg on crackers, and home-made slightly-hard cider. Also, my bf gave me sweethearts (my kryptonite) and over a kilo of truly excellent chocolate. In between tummy-aches, I've been working out hard (16.2, hauling/loading firewood and logs, and I just RAN!) and crossing stuff off my list:

• Turn 27
  • Update my "progress photos" gallery  One of my CF friends who hadn't seen me in a few weeks said "you look thinner." The work is paying off!
  • Finish that chip-carved coat rack that's sitting in the garage awaiting its last layer of Poly  I just came from the garage, where the last layer of polyurethane is on and drying

For that last one, Doing something that is outside my comfort zone, I modeled a friend's design at a benefit auction/fashion show on Thursday. Here's the evidence:

B And C

I'm the one on the left, my designer friend is on the right

• Like 3

Was it your birthday this weekend? HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I think eating whatever you so desire is totally allowed in that case :) Sounds like you did some great stuff in addition to eating all that deliciousness. Awesome job!

I second the IIFYM hype. It really is awesome - but keeping Paleo in mind has really helped me stay on track too. Some people really bastardize IIFYM to justify eating some terrible things constantly, but keeping paleo ideals in mind but not actually being paleo plus following IIFYM has been really great for me. Much less hangry mornings/afternoons/evenings/life.

• Like 1

Thanks, and Thanks! I dropped back to low carb, low kcal yesterday and today back to super high-protein and a more moderate fat intake. I even at a doughnut. Because it tasted good and it fit my macros. I'm still under 100g carbs today, so I think I need to work on reducing my fat intake and upping my "clean" carb intake. I even worked out today and was under 1700kcal total, but completely not hungry now as I go to bed... weird, I'm sort of wondering if I under-estimated something today. 

Tomorrow I'm debating a trip into Baltimore to find a coffee shop vs a looong walk in a state park. What to do?!

• Like 1

Thanks, and Thanks! I dropped back to low carb, low kcal yesterday and today back to super high-protein and a more moderate fat intake. I even at a doughnut. Because it tasted good and it fit my macros. I'm still under 100g carbs today, so I think I need to work on reducing my fat intake and upping my "clean" carb intake. I even worked out today and was under 1700kcal total, but completely not hungry now as I go to bed... weird, I'm sort of wondering if I under-estimated something today. 

Tomorrow I'm debating a trip into Baltimore to find a coffee shop vs a looong walk in a state park. What to do?!

The Rangerly thing is of course to make your own Bullet-proof coffee and walk in the state park.

• Like 3

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

The Rangerly thing is of course to make your own Bullet-proof coffee and walk in the state park.

Bahahaha! I'm going to do my best to convince the next door starbucks to whip me up a cuppa bulletproof tomorrow... it's always a struggle to convince the 'bucks outside the one at home to put butter in their blender! There's only so long a girl can put up with a jug of Dunkin and the luke-warm water in the lobby. 

I'm still eating high protein, high fat, mid-carb... I'm really having trouble decreasing my fat intake and getting my carbs up. Doughnut happened again today, but will be replaced with a Quest bar mid-morning tomorrow! I may have eaten more at lunch yesterday than I thought (there was a pile of grilled chicken on the salad I've had for lunch both days!), but I did make it to the gym for some lifting. The hotel has a deal with a local Gold's gym. I had to fit in to the squat rack crowd, and was the only person who even looked at either the climbing rope or tractor tire the entire time I was there... not a cardio workout, but a nice time getting in my 5x's!

• Like 2

I drove to North Point State Park yesterday to go on a "hike," or at least a walk in the woods. It was great... and nearly silent. I saw some people, but only 3 on the trail... the  exact same number of people as squirrels I saw. Wild Marylanders don't exist, I'm convinced. But it was a nice walk around in the woods and see redwinged blackbirds and beaver lodges and feel the sun on my arms and legs. I succumbed to the doughnut again yesterday morning, this time from a stellar mom-and-pop shop instead of Dunkin crapnuts. It was "marshmallow," which means filled with cake frosting. Still, it FMM.

So now I'm in West Virginia on my way to Antietem and Gettysburg... I found coffee at a great place in Shepherdstown, and the barista worked last year at a climbing gym in Seattle... small world, connected by a love of the outdoors and good coffee. Today is going to be a lower carb, higher fat day. I'm at t-7 days to the trip to Arizona, which was when I wanted to be a little leaned  out. 

The rest of the challenge update - 

1. I have read sections of Meditations 2 of the last 4 days, but larger chunks at a time. Finishing my chapter should have me on track for this week. 

2. Walk - Monday was a lower-volume day (junk food hangover and flying to BWI), but I've been averaging around 11k steps/day, and as soon as I hit the first battlefield I should be right on track for today. 

3. I've stayed within my macros the last several days, but it has been difficult to reduce my fat intake while increasing carbs "cleanly." I'll try again to get on the FD 2.0 plan next week, when I'm home and less distracted. 

• Like 1

Funny I was at BWI flying in on Monday as well. The nice weather after landing was a pleasant surprise.

Wasn't it a pleasant surprise? I hope you got a chance to enjoy it!

It was downright warm as I walked the battlefields at Antietam and Gettysburg. I got a mini workout in by sprinting from the parking lot up Big Round Top.

• Like 1

Oyve, back in WA it is windy, rainy, stormy. Check it out: https://youtu.be/fXNni1mcA1U I'm flying to AZ on Friday (family wedding), so at least I can look forward to sun this weekend!

Yesterday  I ate more than I needed for fuel, but also got in my 3x max effort chin ups (now with an #18/8kg kettlebell!) and a  3x5 bench at the regular gym. I'm aiming for the lower-carb IIFYM macros today, since it doesn't look like I'll make it to CF this afternoon. My face was breaking  out when I was eating doughnuts that FMM last week, so we'll see how this goes. 

I barely sneaked over 70k steps last week, but I did hit the goal. woot! Here's where the checklist stands at the moment:

• Turn 27
  • Finish that chip-carved coat rack that's sitting in the garage awaiting its last layer of Poly Still need to hang it!
  • Send a post card from somewhere I've never been Postcards from Gettysburg, Antietam, and Baltimore!
  • Ruck, at least if it's just with my laptop pack in the airport  Briefly around Baltimore with my laptop and GoRuck bag... I should have loaded my bag for my  battlefield walks!
  • Like 1

I bombed last  night. I haven't had a carb binge like that since... oh, I don't know when! Yeah, it was that bad. I estimate I consumed in a few hours 1.5 daily energy needs, putting me at 2X or more for the day. My instinct this morning was to fast or otherwise purge. Then I realized that a better reaction might be moderation. I don't want to signal my body to go into an energy-skimping mode, so I made a light breakfast when my stomach signaled "empty." 

This is one of the hardest parts of IIFYM for me. Once I start eating cereals, it's really hard for me to stop. I'm not a carbivore, I'm a carbaholic. 

980x.gif

• Like 3

Guys, I didn't fall off the wagon the past few days. I faceplanted. 

I arrived in Phoenix feeling good. Lean, strong, eating well. I kept it up through the first day and a half of the wedding weekend. I even wrapped my burger in lettuce at the family bbq the night before the event. The next day was equally good. M and I sneaked away from the family gathering for coffee (Mormons don't drink coffee) and I ate really well... until the pizza showed up in the afternoon. I had 2 pieces before I added them to my MyFitnessPal, and was pretty floored at the stats. They're loaded. Then came the wedding cake. I'm a sucker for frosting. I even got into the frosting at my parents' house in the binge last week. I had 2 small pieces (had to taste both flavors) and avoided downing the leftover frosting on everyone else's plates. But I was super bing-ey as we left, craving more cake! We followed the wedding dinner with a birthday dinner (mini-cupcakes) for a sister, whose birthday it was. 

a29a9a5de232a772_tumblr_mknvpve6fg1rv8wg

The next morning things really heated up. I downed half a box of Life, bagels, and tons of other sugary crap. I was uncomfortably full for most of the trip home, but we stopped by a diner and I had a club sandwich... then munched more on the way home. Yesterday M left for a half week of work, and I found a full bag of granola in the cupboard. I ate it all before even really getting into work. That's approaching 2000 kcal, mostly sugary, before breakfast was really over. The rest of the day was nearly as gross. 

So, I'm finally getting my head on straight. On one hand, the keto experiment I did at the end of February/beginning of March made me feel awesome. On the other hand, coming off of it left me feeling crappy. I can stay more or less constant in the middle, or I start oscillating into a binge-purge cycle. I kinda feel like this dude, climbing back on the line so I can start moving forward... 

BglKrFF.gif

Today started with a long, slow-burn WOD (5000m row). I'm at <20g carbs as it currently stands, and am heading to get the squats and presses that were scheduled for yesterday taken care of after work. Next challenge I need to re-frame IIFYM to IIFYM *and* [some general sugar exclusion]

• Like 2