Faille Rises

faille

Hi all!  Popping in from the Druids for this challenge

1378202978-3039128976.jpg

About a year ago I started taking Aerial Silks classes once a week.  When I started, I had almost no strength... couldn't hold my bodyweight on the silks, and I certainly couldn't climb.  But it was SO MUCH FUN, and my teacher was amazing, and the other people in the class were so supportive.  So I kept going.  In July I was finally getting to the point where I could climb.  I decided one day that I was going to go all the way to the top.

I made it to the top, but part of the way down I ran out of strength, panicked, and let go.  I landed on my feet and severely sprained both ankles.

I had to be carried to the car, from the car to the emergency room, and from the emergency room back home.   Luckily nothing was broken, but I went to two months of physical therapy, and it wasn't until the last month or so that I really started to feel truly back to normal.

Since my injury my attendence in class has been sporadic. I'll go for a week or two, take a week or two off, and then over the holidays I skipped about 2 months worth of classes.   It's been frustrating to feel like I'm starting all over again, not to mention some fear that my body will betray me and I'll fall again.

However, these are just excuses!  For this challenge, I am taking inspiration from Bruce Wayne himself, and getting back up in the air. This will be a three pronged approach.

Conditioning

One reason my progress has been slow is because I only go to class once a week.  While I'd love to go more than that, realistically it just isn't a priority for me right now.  Mondays will remain my dedicated silks night, but two other nights of the week I will do some kind of conditioning of the following bits

• Arms
  • Legs
  • Core
  • Flexibility

Nutrition

From August to December last year I lost nearly 20 pounds.  With my fitness break I've been putting some weight back on.  This impacts my climbing, it impacts my appearance, and it impacts my confidence.  In order to fuel my workouts and continue to improve my fitness, I will stop getting Fast Food on my way home from work for the duration of this challenge (starting 3/2, since I kind of had a Quesarito on the way home today).

Routine

One reason that I struggle with my fitness is I'm always feeling like there isn't enough time.  There actually is; I just spend most of my free time fucking around on my phone.  I need to get into a routine that stops me from looking at my phone at all hours of the day as this affects my work, my fitness, and my nutrition.

For the duration of this challenge, I will wake up and shower BEFORE looking at my phone.  The intent is to get myself ready for work faster, so I can get to work sooner and therefore leave work earlier.

Let's do this!

batman-dark-knight-rises-catwoman-rise-m

• Like 1

(______ <\-/> ______)     Faille | Level 3 Elf Ranger/Druid

/_.-=-.\| " |/.-=-._\     [xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx78%--]
    /_   \(o_o)/    _\      STR 4.75 | DEX 7.75 | STA 8.75 | CON 11.5 | WIS 15.25 | CHA 8.75
     /_ /\/ ^ \/\ _\
      \/ | / \ | \/        
Current Challenge | #0 #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6
        /((( )))\           My Battle Log
  jgs __\ \___/ /__
     (((---' '---)))

Whole 30 Progress - Complete!!  1/5/2015 - 2/3/2015 -  Meal Plan

Comic Con Countdown - Goal 155 lbs, 7 to go
0%
0%

Made it through the first week!

Mostly I focused on ab work this week, nothing dedicated, but a plank here, some leg raises there.. my pullover is a mess so I think my core is really where I need to focus.

Didn't get takeout on the way home since Tuesday, even though I REALLY wanted to.  Instead I dug in the freezer, found some old frozen stuff, and cooked it in my InstantPot.  Now I have a couple nights worth of food in the fridge so I have something to look forward to when I get home.

Also managed to stay off my phone before my shower.  Still using that time to snooze, but at least I'm not snoozing THEN facebooking.  This is a habit I slowly want to build on so I can overhaul my entire morning and eventually evening routine.  

Onward!

• Like 1

/_   \(o_o)/    _\      STR 4.75 | DEX 7.75 | STA 8.75 | CON 11.5 | WIS 15.25 | CHA 8.75
     /_ /\/ ^ \/\ _\
      \/ | / \ | \/        
  jgs __\ \___/ /__
     (((---' '---)))

0%
0%

Feeling pretty good this week!

Still off my phone until after my shower in the morning.  This morning I was even dreaming that I could do crow pose, so when I got up I practiced a little (spoiler: still can't but getting there!)

I missed silks on Monday because I was SO TIRED from weekend festivities.  I got home Monday night and went straight to bed.  Fitbit had me at 12 hours and 40 minutes of sleep!  So Tuesday I screwed up my courage and went to the gym.  Tuesday is the intermediate/advanced class and open gym with a different teacher, so it was a lot of new, better people and I was always scared to go.  But I went anyway, met someone who works at a sister company of mine, and just practiced climbing and descending.  I feel like my descents are more controlled now, and I FINALLY understand the foot mechanic of locking in the silk, so when my strength catches back up I will be able to climb to the top again soon.

Still planning to work on my pullover core strength this week, so I will focus on headstands and leg raise progressions.

• Like 1

/_ /\/ ^ \/\ _\
      \/ | / \ | \/        
  jgs __\ \___/ /__
     (((---' '---)))

0%
0%