• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Teirin

Teirin - March 2016 - be less late

akatsuki_no_yona___gif__opening_2__by_de

With Akatsuki no Yona gifs, because i feel like it.

Maintenance goals:

Judo twice per week as much as possible

Stick to budget, track expenditures

Walk 70k + steps per week

Talk a day/evening off per week to spend at home

Incremental goals:

tumblr_ni4ld80LEs1sbu9obo1_r1_500.gif

Sleep

- in bed by Midnight or earlier!

- Weeks 1 and 2  get to work by 9:15. 

- Weeks 3 & 4 get to work by 9 am.

giphy.gif

Shoulder maintenance:

Hand stand practice - every day, however brief

Bridge practice - every day, even if only one

Stretch daily, foam roll if necessary

Gif not relevant, just cool.

597c90f66b7bda919399baf1c0446d8e.jpg

Guitar practice - 3x per week?  Minimum 15 minutes.

tumblr_o0c67lkjp11satyyro1_500.gif

Juggle Less things:  Re-read Essentialism.

Because it clearly didn't take the first time.

5e5x9.gif

Bonus:  Get out more.  Female training camp this weekend, possibly.

• Like 4

Day 1

- got to bed at 12:15, in to work by 9:15.  Half credit.

- Handstands.  No pullups though.

Day 2

- Same for bed time and arrival time.  Half credit.  

- Judo (see below)

- No handstands or pullups.  Crap. 

I showed up at Judo feeling like crap and left feeling great.  It was good.  Brawled some work stress out on the mats.

tumblr_ngc0fjQy9a1qe10n4o1_500.gif

Also, new BabyMetal song!  I love the opening.

Off to bed!

• Like 2

I  showed up at Judo feeling like crap and left feeling great.  It was good.  Brawled some work stress out on the mats.

Also, new BabyMetal song!  I love the opening.

Yes, isn't that usually how it goes? Throwing and getting thrown shakes out all that negativity. :D

I like the song. Thank you for sharing it.

Hullo! :D

*hugs*

I really like that you give yourself progressions. Like being at work by 9:15 for a while then going to 9:00. That's really smart. I think of progressions for exercise, but little for everyday activities. I have to go rethink my life nao! :D

p.s. female training camp sounds fun! I vote pro! :)

Yes, isn't that usually how it goes? Throwing and getting thrown shakes out all that negativity. :D

I like the song. Thank you for sharing it.

That and just getting out of my head and moving for a while :-)

Glad you like it!

Hullo! :D

*hugs*

I really like that you give yourself progressions. Like being at work by 9:15 for a while then going to 9:00. That's really smart. I think of progressions for exercise, but little for everyday activities. I have to go rethink my life nao! :D

p.s. female training camp sounds fun! I vote pro! :)

Hello!  Thanks for dropping by :-)

hey, progressions work for everything.  Increments too.  All or nothing is not the only way.

Female training camp sounds great until I consider taking the girls from my club and trying to ensure that several of them behave.  "Disruptive Presence" is an understatement.  I'll talk to them and their parents tonight and see.

I got lots done last night but did not practice guitar.  It was good anyway.

• Pork roast cooked
  • Sweet potatoes roasted
  • banana/flax/dark chocolate chip muffins baked
  • Budget and transactions brought up to date
  • Garbage out
  • One sink of dishes done
  • Up 1 1/3 level on my Summoner class in FFXIV to 36.
  • Handstands (No pullups though)
  • in bed by 12:15 again (half credit)

I'm trying to level an alt class so I have the option to DPS on occassion.  This one is particularly efficient as the base class, Arcanist, is the same base class for Scholar.  Levelling one levels both.  Scholar and White Mage (my main) are both healing classes but have different strengths.  Having the option to Scholar would also be good so this is cool.  Especially if I keep up to date on changes and mind the correct rotations.  *headdesk*

I got to bed by 12:15 again (maybe should have stepped this one too?) but got up a bit late.  This was planned since I've worked late a few times lately and I'm having a hard time scheduling time off again.  I'm not calling it a fail since I deliberately set my alarm later.  I didn't actually sleep any later but I had some nice snuggle time with a happy kitty who loves morning snuggles.

Still hurting a bit from class on Tuesday.  The previous month was pretty slack and Danny and I felt like running everyone to compensate on Tuesdays.  It's the good and functional kind of hurt, and totally self-inflicted.

• Like 2

Careful with the pull ups. They are really and truly in a class all their own as far as what they demand of a body. Mind those tendons and pay attention if your body goes "Uncle! UNCLE!"

Careful with the pull ups. They are really and truly in a class all their own as far as what they demand of a body. Mind those tendons and pay attention if your body goes "Uncle! UNCLE!"

Yeah.  Given how slack things have been for the last few months, getting back into really training this week at Judo has been rougher than expected.  Tuesday's class was great but the DOMS kicked in hard last night.  It stayed on the safe side of DOMS vs. strain but my shoulders *hurt* during class and warmup didn't settle it.  I ended up taking it fairly easy as I really do not want the shoulder strain to come back.

Given the above, I'd rather not put additional strain on my shoulders outside of Judo.  I'm going to change handstands and pullups to handstands, bridges, and stretching.  HS do not appear to strain my shoulders at all since they are more support work.  Bridges should also be fine, and I should be stretching daily anyway.

• Like 1

Following along again...juggle less things? I need pointers :)

You have way more going on than I do.  I'm not sure that anything I read would help!

[Fretting about nothing.  I worry too much] 

Going to the female training camp this weekend.  It's U12 and up and hopes to help with our problem of retaining girls as they get older.

I managed to get Monday and Tuesday off, though I'm still basically on call.  It's not a great time for me to be out of the office, but the better time didn't work out for other reasons.  So I'll have some quiet after the camp, and time to catch up on all of the normal weekend stuff.  Having plans doesn't magically do the chores for me.

• Like 2

Day 1 went well!  There's a two hour session in the morning as well.  i don't even have to miss game afterwards :-)

After notes:

It was a lot of fun.  Given that it was more kid focused, there were a lot of games and a lot of ensuring that they were running.

A few notes so I remember stuff to go over with my club.  This will probably be updated as I remember things.

Ground work turnovers for turtles:

• Grab lapels, elbow one arm out of the way, shoot head under and roll them.   Transition one arm under their head so you're leaning on the closer shoulder with both arms going under neath them and gripping the far shoulder.  They're arched from your arm position.  Is better than it sounds.
  • hook feet in, grab lapels, roll, switch leg out from under (awkward as fuck), and pin the shoulder with a chin.  Did not like.
  • dominant hand on belt, other hand on gi at neck (note, hand placement more on shoulder makes getting the arm harder), brace a leg over the neck, flip them over the leg and use your leg to catch their closer arm.  Use the arm to transition to mune gatame.
  • also, work on hip flexibility so I can turtle with spread legs.  Apparently weirds the guys right out.  heh.

Turnovers for grabbing the far arm and they put out a leg to block: 

• Basic turnover:  get your hands in under them and get the far arm, lean and roll them (bulldozer).  They can block by putting out their far leg and propping themselves upright.
  • Maintain two-arm grip on the far arm and drag their upper body forward and away from the propping leg.  Roll them with their arms pinned and hold them
  • Release arm closer to their hand and use forearm to pretty much mash their face, draw them up and over backwards.  Will only work on smaller people.

Stand up:

• Oouchi gari - The Difficult Way describes it exactly the same, so I will link to that.
  • Ippon seio nage - jumping exercise for timing
  • O soto gari - remember elbow and push walking exercise.  Also, if you get the hip in further the uke can be completely flipped.  Must try that with someone small.
  • Harai goshi - Not with a partner - turn in for harai goshi and then forward roll out of the sweep

Misc other:

• Find partner, grab hands, take three steps, roll together and come back to standing, repeat
  • paired crawling, hands on ankles
  • Partnered butt race (very silly)
  • Pair off, try and ensure that your opponent steps on the scattered belt sections or toy snakes, or steps out of bounds (into lava)
  • two teams with different belt scraps tucked into their belts - try to collect belt scraps.  Anyone who loses one is out.
  • Alternate forward and backwards breakfalls
  • Tape marks on floor in front of crash mat that they must hit before landing on the crash mat
  • Situp alternate:  sit beside but facing partner, laydown and reach under the other person's knees and grab their hand (both sides), roll back, lift legs and switch sides with your butt.  Repeat 20 to 30 times.  Rather impressive when 6 people line up and do it at the same time.
  • Bridge and crawl under with a line of people.

On the somewhat embarrassing side, I got called out to bow in and out with the Sensei's.  They maintain that if I teach at the club it counts.  The other 3 Sensei's there were national and international champions.  My club is recreational so it was very much a case of "one of these is not like the others".  I got told that I don't get to make that call though.

Oh, and this so counts for my getting out bonus goal.  I am glad that I have tomorrow and Tuesday off as I suspect that I will be rather stiff and creaky in the morning.

In Consumer Whore Dance of Joy news, I bought a new SSD for my computer.  I love the SSD as a C drive, but mine is rather small at 64 Gb.  I'm always running with less than 5 Gb free, even with most things installed to D, and running the disk space cleaner before I load a game.  So I found a 480 Gb on sale from the same manufacturer.  Physical size and SATA III for both was confirmed before purchase.  It should be compatible.  Now I figure out how to copy my C drive to the new one, then make it my C drive.  It'll be arriving sometime this week so I have time to research. 

• Like 2

Since I have to wake up way early for work, the last two days, I set an alarm to remind me to go to bed. I found I just didn't realize it was that late. Mostly because compared to normal, 9:30 ISN'T late at all.

Good luck with not being late. I finally am working for someone that being even a minute late is a big deal. After years of no one giving a crap, it's tough!!

• Like 3

So it turns out that Custom DLC for Rocksmith 2014 CAN have scaling built in!  I hadn't previously bothered with it because I'm such a newbie and can't play the full versions.  It turns out that it is possible, and some CDLC has it built in.  I now have that setup and some songs downloaded and in my list.  This pretty sweet.  I like some of the Rocksmith standard songs and purchasable DLC pretty well but none of my favourites are available.  Now I can get at least some of them!

• Like 1

Since I have to wake up way early for work, the last two days, I set an alarm to remind me to go to bed. I found I just didn't realize it was that late. Mostly because compared to normal, 9:30 ISN'T late at all.

Good luck with not being late. I finally am working for someone that being even a minute late is a big deal. After years of no one giving a crap, it's tough!!

It's a good plan, really.  What do you consider early to work?

Good luck with that :-(  From what you've posted, it doesn't sound like you're prone to shorting them hours or anything.

• Like 1

In Consumer Whore Dance of Joy news, I bought a new SSD for my computer.  I love the SSD as a C drive, but mine is rather small at 64 Gb.  I'm always running with less than 5 Gb free, even with most things installed to D, and running the disk space cleaner before I load a game.  So I found a 480 Gb on sale from the same manufacturer.  Physical size and SATA III for both was confirmed before purchase.  It should be compatible.  Now I figure out how to copy my C drive to the new one, then make it my C drive.  It'll be arriving sometime this week so I have time to research. 

Most of the SSD drives, I use Samsung, come with cloning software that will allow you to mirror everything your current C drive to the new driver.  Is it a desktop or laptop?  If it's a desktop you can plug your new drive into the second sata port in the computer but it is a laptop you can get a cheap usb to sata cable to do the same thing.

Most of the SSD drives, I use Samsung, come with cloning software that will allow you to mirror everything your current C drive to the new driver.  Is it a desktop or laptop?  If it's a desktop you can plug your new drive into the second sata port in the computer but it is a laptop you can get a cheap usb to sata cable to do the same thing.

Cool, thanks!  I ordered a Sandisk, like the one I currently have.  It is a desktop, with 4 hard drive bays.  2 are in use now so plugging this one in as third for cloning should not be a problem.

It's a good plan, really.  What do you consider early to work?

Good luck with that :-(  From what you've posted, it doesn't sound like you're prone to shorting them hours or anything.

I have to be out the door by 5:50 am to be on time at 7. I know for a lot of people, that's not early, but for most of my career, I've not started earlier than 8. And I seldom had to drive more than 20 minutes, if I had to drive at all. Lots of times I worked 10-8.

With the training job that I'm in, my actual boss is in Little Rock. He never actually works with me. I have designated supervisors in each park that are supposed to train me in how to manage these different areas in parks. They may or may not already know me. In most cases, if they don't know me, they already have an opinion of the "trainees in the program" based on some previous folks who had less than stellar attitudes. Which I totally understand because I have been the designated person training some of those less than stellar attitude folks. My first couple of days here in maintenance sucked because they I was "like that other girl", but they've decided they like me now. Just not enough to let me be 2 minutes late :onthego:  This guy is super strict about what he calls responsibility: being on time, keeping up with your keys, staying busy, etc.

Female training camp sounds fun. Judo club in general sounds neat. How does it work? I always thought when you said club you were referring to your class, but it sounds different? I'm just thinking when I get a more permanent situation, if there's not a specific martial art school, I might could try to start a martial art club or something.

Yay for getting out and spending a whole day doing judo!  You are a black belt and instructor. Get used to it. :D

I managed to get Monday and Tuesday off, though I'm still basically on call.  It's not a great time for me to be out of the office, but the better time didn't work out for other reasons.  So I'll have some quiet after the camp, and time to catch up on all of the normal weekend stuff.  Having plans doesn't magically do the chores for me.

Good plan. Stupid chores, not magically going away when you are out of town. Mine are obstinate just like yours.

Going to the female training camp this weekend.  It's U12 and up and hopes to help with our problem of retaining girls as they get older.

Very curious to hear how that goes.  Both my girls ended up phasing out of martial arts.  Hard to say "dropped out" because they simply started making other choices with their time and energy.  As if they were sovereign beings or some shit.  Harumph.  Of the six of my family formerly involved, I'm the only one still in (even if I'm technically out for rehab). 

Finally following!

I will get to your thread soon, promise!  It's really great to see you back :-)

I have to be out the door by 5:50 am to be on time at 7. I know for a lot of people, that's not early, but for most of my career, I've not started earlier than 8. And I seldom had to drive more than 20 minutes, if I had to drive at all. Lots of times I worked 10-8.

With the training job that I'm in, my actual boss is in Little Rock. He never actually works with me. I have designated supervisors in each park that are supposed to train me in how to manage these different areas in parks. They may or may not already know me. In most cases, if they don't know me, they already have an opinion of the "trainees in the program" based on some previous folks who had less than stellar attitudes. Which I totally understand because I have been the designated person training some of those less than stellar attitude folks. My first couple of days here in maintenance sucked because they I was "like that other girl", but they've decided they like me now. Just not enough to let me be 2 minutes late :onthego:  This guy is super strict about what he calls responsibility: being on time, keeping up with your keys, staying busy, etc.

Female training camp sounds fun. Judo club in general sounds neat. How does it work? I always thought when you said club you were referring to your class, but it sounds different? I'm just thinking when I get a more permanent situation, if there's not a specific martial art school, I might could try to start a martial art club or something.

*whimpers*  Oh fuck, that's early.  My office is mostly not morning people so we're rather more flexible about such things. 

Ah yeah.  Having the bar set by previous people in the program can work either way.  How long are you on this rotation? 

Club is a group of people that you train with regularly.  This term is not universally used but it's common here.  An individual session is a class.  A school may refer to a larger group than just your club, a parent school with branches for example. You may be doing a different activity with your club that is not a class.  A tournament or fundraiser for example.  BBQ maybe.  We keep swearing that we're going to get the legal drinking age portion of the club for one of those with alcohol.

Yay for getting out and spending a whole day doing judo!  You are a black belt and instructor. Get used to it. :D

Good plan. Stupid chores, not magically going away when you are out of town. Mine are obstinate just like yours.

I've been musing on that.  some notes are below. I totally veered off that and ended up in retention of girls land.

I know!  So inconsiderate!

Very curious to hear how that goes.  Both my girls ended up phasing out of martial arts.  Hard to say "dropped out" because they simply started making other choices with their time and energy.  As if they were sovereign beings or some shit.  Harumph.  Of the six of my family formerly involved, I'm the only one still in (even if I'm technically out for rehab). 

Yep, there's always a certain level of cycle through for various reasons.  Some come back later, many don't. 

Kids, with their own minds and decisions over their lives :-D   That's how you raised them.  All your fault.

• Like 1

Week 1 summary

Maintenance goals:
Judo twice per week as much as possible - Both nights + the training camp on the weekend. Hella passed
Stick to budget, track expenditures - yes!
Walk 70k + steps per week - 93k. Well exceeded.
Talk a day/evening off per week to spend at home - nope, but I'm making up for it in week 2.

Incremental goals:
Bed time - three half credit days, and two fails. I did not care on Thursday or Friday. Average sleep was 6:45 so not too bad.
Shoulder maintenance - 1 day. Stretching happened rather more.
Guitar practice - Nope. Got some cool new songs set up to work on in Rocksmith. Counts for nothing though.
Essentialism - started. I will be copying some good quotes.

New goals did not go well in week 1. It was an awesome week for core stuff though.

Time off means I start thinking about things that aren't work. Here's some rambles. There's another one stewing on reading Essentialism as a generalist, but it's not finished.

Judo rambling: (also somewhat appropriate to Intl Women's Day)
The stated intention for the female training camp was to improve retention of girls in Judo. There are a variety of reasons that Judo has a retention problem. Most of them are completely normal for any activity and aren't related to gender at all: they just don't get into it; their schedule may change and is not compatible with a fixed class time, they may find something the love more, they may need to focus on school/work more, etc. Those will always happen.

Other reasons are potentially fixable: the rules have been changing frequently and people find that frustrating. Look at how much stress has brewed up over the challenge/guild changes here on NF. In addition, there is a significant and apparent focus on tournaments and competition. Many people are simply not interested in competing or are unwilling to commit the time inherent to train for competition. It's been noted that judo, and many other martial arts, are somewhat cultish and has a tendency to try and monopolize your life. It's something that I've had trouble with in the past and something that I have seen with other Judoka as well, even ones that already are heavily into competing. Having an activity try to take that much of your time is off-putting to those who want to work out casually. Grappling arts also have fewer adults willing to start them.

WRT specifically retaining females, the general retention problems are exaggerated by small female populations in martial arts. There are fairly few women or girls in any given club and it can be very daunting to join an all male club. We've always had at least a few girls in our kids class but for most of the time since I joined, I have been the only woman in the adult class. Most of the other clubs have similar problems. Some teenage girls have left because they age out of the kids class and find wrestling with the teenage boys to be too awkward. Teenagers may also leave because they're worried about what boys will think or to spend time dating (qualifier: we've also had teenage boys leave the club for this reason, but the few girls seem to worry about it more). Add in the strength/size disparity that starts showing up in the teenage years, and we get a fairly bad exodus of girls around the ages of 13-15. Losing fights more regularly because you're smaller/have less reach/are simply more easily knocked over than the guys you're training with is a deterrent. Not to all of us, but to some. Adult women generally don't join due to fear of injury. Something gentler or less contact is usually more of interest. Many adult men feel exactly the same, but there are more of them and they see adult men in it already so we get at least some.

I heard an interesting number at the camp. Only about 20% of Judoka compete. 80% are recreationals that don't go to tournaments. I honestly did not know this. The big clubs in the area are tournament focused and usually have a fairly large crowd out to tournaments. My club is smaller and most of us are more into it as recreation/exercise/social time. I'd thought other areas were similar but apparently not. Most of the group events are tournaments and training camps, primarily of interest to competitors. Kata clinics are frequently gradings and are only open to brown/black belts. So the few teenage girls/women do not tend to meet each other if they aren't competing. It leads to a somewhat invisible apparent majority.

This also marks the only time I've heard recreational Judo mentioned outside of my club. Potentially because I don't get out to as many events, but again, the events tend to be competitive.

So, add a small female population to 20% competition rates and you get nil competition levels after the teenage/U21 years. There hasn't been a 21+ women's division at any of the local tournaments in the last few years or even the last Atlantics. The national champions at the camp were 15-18 years old. So even less visibility and less of an impression that adult female Judoka exist except as former competitors that now coach. We have exactly 2 of those.

The female training camp not only brought together a surprising number of female Judoka, some from another province even, but also a higher number of low belt casual people. A bunch of Judo Moms from several clubs have joined as well as some other adult women. They jokingly call it Geriatric Judo and are doing really well with it. I worked with a lot of them over the weekend and they seemed quite pleased with that.

The answer to poor retention rates would appear to be encouraging more recreational Judo events. If we can increase the overall population and get the recreational people together for some of the larger events, people will see that they are wanted and that there is opportunity to join and stay past peak competing years. Since this event was a success, they are planning on trying to hold them 3x/year. This is a very encouraging step.

On a side note: this may also be why I got dragged in to bow in/out with the Sensei group. I was an example of a recreational Judoka who has been in for long enough to get my Shodan. If they're trying to promote recreational Judo more, this would be logical. Edit: there was another Shodan there who graded as the same event as I did and seems to be recreational. She apparently wasn't teaching though.

I may also be completely overthinking this and way off mark :-)

Vacation time rambling:
Something I've struggled with is letting go of work in my off time. I'm mentally always holding on to which ramps up work fatigue faster than it should because it feels like I never leave it. Having the camp this weekend and a few days off after has helped to clear out my head, even though I'm popping in to check my email twice-ish per day. I have some critical stuff to monitor and can't really not check in these few days. Last week would have been better but, as previously mentioned, didn't work out. Part of that is just having something else to focus on. I'm a little overly settled into a routine and disruptions/enthusiasm help to distract me from the things that dominate my routine.

• Like 3

FWIW, the stuff you're talking about here is something we've seen in the Judo community down here. We have recreational female judoka, but they're very rare, and even when we go to play at shiai, you can't get enough women together to even make a proper division of it.

It's one of those vicious cycles - we can't get women into the sport because we don't have women judoka to set an example. We don't have women judoka to set an example because we can't get women into the sport. It's a real hum-dinger.

Very likely you being up there to bow out was a function of both of the things you mentioned - both the time you spent teaching and the fact that you're a female judoka who made shodan. The fact that they basically pulled rank on you to get you out in front would provide a pretty neat way to gloss over the fact that they decided they needed you up there. But that doesn't mean you didn't deserve to be there, either.

So, yeah. Anyway. Sounds like you picked up a lot at camp! Very good! I hope you were able to set aside work for at least a little bit. :P

• Like 1

Speaking as a "tae kwon mom," here's my perspective, which lines up quite a bit even though I don't do judo:

• My 9th-grader loved TKD very much and pursued her black belt real hard.  She's quick and aggressive and coachable.  Loved helping to teach the little kid classes and helping with birthday parties, and the tiny girls and boys idolized her.  HOWEVER.  She hated sparring, to the point of breaking down in tears when I thought I was encouraging her to give it a shot in a tournament.  I have *never* seen her dissolve into snot and sniffles like that.  If she'd been able to work exclusively with Master Steve at our "home" studio, she might have stuck with it longer.  What happened, though, is that the Grand Master (his father) decided Fiona had an obligation to compete and he sought her out at every testing opportunity.  The last testing she went to, she actually went out to the parking lot and hid on the floor of the back seat of my car, she was avoiding him so hard.  Grand Master Ko is old school.  I like him fine, but I was raised in the military.  He also felt she should work on TKD to the exclusion of everything else, and this is the girl who loves soccer.  She loves competing with a team more than on her own.  So, that was kind of the end for her.  She'd achieved her black belt and I didn't think it would be right to push her back into something that was clearly making her unhappy.  TKD is a lifelong sport...it's taught her a lot more than martial arts, and I hope she'll circle back to it sometime later in life.  
  • My 7th-grader advanced pretty much in lockstep with me.  Kira is more introverted and only wanted to go to class if I was going.  During blue belt testing, she was called on (by Grand Master Ko) to stand up and say why she did TKD.  She very calmly answered that she did TKD so she wouldn't be afraid of things, and she didn't feel afraid of anything anymore.  Which was kind of cool and surprising to hear.  After brown belt testing (the next in our sequence), she announced that she felt brave enough to try out for the competitive dance team at her studio; she made the team and wanted to devote her time and energy to that instead of TKD.  Hard to argue with that.
  • For me, I was super-delighted to have a family fitness activity.  I enjoy more competitive sports -- always have -- and loved the shit out of the Krav Maga I studied during my time at USMA.  Finally, I had the chance to get back to punching and kicking things, in a way that didn't make me choose between family obligation and my own workouts!  At the time, we had six kids in residence, and four of them started TKD with me and my husband.  I advanced a lot more slowly than anybody else because there would be a lot of nights when one of the kids would have another event, so I could drop some off at class but then had to race away to handle other things.  It's frustrating.  I've seen very few tae-kwon-moms in my years with this school.  There are a handful of women who take classes with their kids, but I don't see any of them past about orange belt (which might be about when the kids are confident enough or old enough to attend class without them? just a guess).  There are also a couple of women who are black belts (some of whom I was "belt buddies" with at the beginning), but they are either single or don't have kids.  This is not to say that they don't have other obligations or priorities to balance, but I think it's a factor in some way that's difficult to quantify without sounding like an asshole.  I just have to keep focused on the principles of "be humble" and "persevere" in my journey because it's going to take me a LONG TIME to get my black belt.  
  • The school did, for a while, offer hapkido classes and also some bo staff classes.  I wanted to participate in these, but it was difficult to manage the days/times when they were offered.  The school has also closed the studio that was only three miles from my house...I'll have to get to a location that's in the next town over (about 15 minutes away) when I return, which will not be easy even though it sounds like it should be.  I liked hapkido a lot.  Not sure if it will do my body any favors to try to return to that, but that may not be everyone's experience.  Will have to wait and see.  

There's more percolating in my head...really glad to hear the leadership levels are thinking and talking about this stuff!

Interesting observations on women in judo and tae kwon do. It sounds like most of the women who train started as kids. Is that correct?

Do you offer beginner classes for adults?

My experience in aikido is that many people start at university clubs. We get some new people through adult beginner classes. I know of one person in the dojo who started in the kids class, left for several year, then came back as an adult. I would love to know how many of our teenagers keep practicing when they move away for college. It certainly helps retain older kids to have a teenager's class.

We do get some parents who start practicing with their kids. I can think of three dads off the top of my head. I know of moms who kept practicing after their kids dropped out.

I think aikido has an advantage over judo and TKD because youth and strength are not big advantages. Aikido is explicitly non-competitive. We have lots of older role models of life-time training. The gender balance seems to be more even too. My rough guess is between 1/4 and 1/3 of aikidoka are women. My sample could be biased because there are several high-ranking female instructors in my area.

I totally agree that it is easier to get girls to participate when there are other girls in the class. This was confirmed by an instructor at a university club near me. She said that being a female instructor didn't seem to matter to her students. The female students were still too uncomfortable with martial arts class of mostly men. That changed last year when two young women joined the club. They had been practicing at another dojo as high school students. Once she had two experienced women in the class, she was able to get more women to give it a try.