• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Shotokan

Keep it simple Shotokan!

The last two challenges have been moderately successful for me but I have found that if I expect too much of myself, with my current workload, I can only do well with one while the others crash and burn.  With that said, it's time to keep it simple and start chunking my goals instead of reaching for the brass ring.  This time around, I am going to stay with what works and have a couple lower targets for the rest.

Here goes....

1 - Workout 3 times each week:

The bodbot workouts have been going well even though they are starting to get a little boring.  Either way, they still give me a good workout and I will keep doing them at least 3 times each week.  

2 - Karate at home, once per week:

I really need a second class but I don't have the time or the funds to commit to taking another class so I am going to have do it at home.  I have a good lesson plan that I works really well and I will end up doing it again and hopefully find someone to train with to make me do it.

3 - Stretch at least 3 times week:

The new stretching routine that found seems to be helping and it only takes about 20 minutes so it should be easy get in at least 3 a week.  Although it is only focused on the hip flexors, it seems to making my stances better.

Life goal:

Find some form of meditation that I can do at least once per week.  I had a really good guided meditation audio track that I used before and a sub goal is to find it and listen to it.

The idea is hit a few small targets and create some momentum that will hopefully lead to bugger targets down the road.

• Like 3

Heck yes small goals create momentum!

Sounds like a good challenge! The boring stuff will go away with the small goals. You'll get to doing the fun stuff soon! :D

• Like 1

Very nice challenge, very similar to my own. I think your are on the right track with the bodyweight exercises and stretching to complement your karate training. Self-training in karate certainly has its value. I think some of the biggest gains I've ever made occurred when I simply worked through them on my own. You may encounter a few naysayers in regard to self-training in karate, with claims you might pick up bad habits. You might. But bad habits can be worked through and corrected, much easier than the naysayers will have you believe. In the meantime you are still training, still keeping active, and your karate won't "grow tepid." The benefits far outweigh the possible vices, in my opinion.

Keep at it.  :orange:

• Like 1

Very nice challenge, very similar to my own. I think your are on the right track with the bodyweight exercises and stretching to complement your karate training. Self-training in karate certainly has its value. I think some of the biggest gains I've ever made occurred when I simply worked through them on my own. You may encounter a few naysayers in regard to self-training in karate, with claims you might pick up bad habits. You might. But bad habits can be worked through and corrected, much easier than the naysayers will have you believe. In the meantime you are still training, still keeping active, and your karate won't "grow tepid." The benefits far outweigh the possible vices, in my opinion.

Keep at it.  :orange:

I totally agree about self training.  It allows me to focus on what I feel I need to improve and work on feeling the techniques instead of trying to keep up with everyone else.  I still take a formal class each week and I teach whenever I can so I do get some time on the dojo floor each week but I have done at least one kata every day for the last three or four years now. 

I have no worries about the naysayers anymore.  When I took my Shodan, one of my Sensei's gave me a great piece of advice, he told me that it is time to do "my" Karate and stop worrying about what everyone else thinks I should be doing.  Those words have stuck with me for almost six years now and that's one of the main reasons that I stopped testing after he retired and stopped examining at the belt exams. 

Thanks for the encouragement! 

• Like 2

Small goals are far better when work is eating your life.

How is everything else going?

Every thing is going okay thanks.  Work is still extremely busy but I'll take it over the jobless spell that I was in before.  Workouts are going very well except for a bug of some sort that kept my from training on Friday and Saturday but today was back to normal.

I hope everything is going well for you.

• Like 1

I'll start to update my workouts daily again but since this week is already over, I just summarize the past week.

Even though the 48 hour bug I had kept me from training on Friday and Saturday, I was still able to get in 3 workouts and 3 stretching sessions along with a home Karate session on Thursday.  I also spent some time focusing on some very simple breathing mediation so overall, this week, I did all that I planned.  

• Like 2

My Sensei encourages us to train at home, on the basis that any little bad habits can be corrected in the dojo. The benefits of extra practice are worth it as far as I'm concerned. :-)

I agree.  I have been training on my own, outside of formal classes, for many years now but i just needed to make myself schedule a day to do it just like I would a formal Karate class.

• Like 1

Being jobbed does beat being jobless, but reality is it can be too much.

Still, I'm glad to hear that you got done what you wanted to! Make it happen, boss.

• Like 1

Last week didn't go as planned and not because of work.

It started out good with a solid workout on Monday but then in Karate class on Tuesday, my right hip was acting up.  It felt as if my glute and hamstring muscles were turned off and it was having a big impact on my stances but I did make it through the entire class.

Wednesday was a different story. My help felt like it was on fire and I didn't much of anything except a lot of walking at work.  Thursday was not much better but I did get in almost half of my home Karate workout before I couldn't do any more.  The pain was too much and at one point, I wasn't able to put any pressure on my right leg.  I spent some painful time on the foam roller and it helped but it was still sore.  

Friday, the pain was much less and I was able to do some strong techniques without pain.  I still took it easy on Saturday but I was able able to get in a good lower body workout on Sunday with only muscle pain, not joint pain.

I didn't get in more than two workouts and two stretching sessions for week and half a home Karate class but I did end up getting in some really good breathing meditation.  

So far, Monday went okay with another workout but I did end up working on a new foam roller routine to try and keep the pain monster from coming back.

Geez. Sounds like that one came out of nowhere. Crazy.

Edit to add: I know it sounds like I don't have much to say, but it's because I don't. If anyone knows hips in this place, it's you. Hip is everything in shotokan, and if I had any insights to give into any of that, I'd give it. But I mean, you're big on engaging the hips. If they weren't firing... hm. Just weird, man.

You feeling any better this week?

• Like 1

On 3/15/2016 at 11:24 PM, Kishi said:

Geez. Sounds like that one came out of nowhere. Crazy.

Edit to add: I know it sounds like I don't have much to say, but it's because I don't. If anyone knows hips in this place, it's you. Hip is everything in shotokan, and if I had any insights to give into any of that, I'd give it. But I mean, you're big on engaging the hips. If they weren't firing... hm. Just weird, man.

You feeling any better this week?

Thank Kishi!  I'm better this week but am still having some issues.  My chiropractor thinks it's my SI joint causing all the problems.  It is getting jammed up and shortening my right leg each time I go to him.  He gets is all evened out again but then I end up jamming it up again.  I found some foam roller work really helps it and I am going to continue using that to keep it in place.  

I also feel that my arthritis and drastic weather changes in Chicago are not helping it.  I also think that my mobility is improving and that might be both a blessing and curse since the extra range of motion might be causing me to push my hips more than before.  The other part is, I am up almost 20 pounds (from 195 to 215) in three months and the extra muscle in my hips and glutes might be adding to it.  The only problem with the extra weight is my waist up at least an inch or two and my hips are at least three inches bigger since I started the workouts at the end of last year.  All the extra muscle in my lower body really screwed my timing up in my kata and my techniques because my lower body is moving much faster than my upper body now.  My hands are behind my hips which is good but they are a little too much behind now.

The one real advantage is, my power is up more than ever before.  I can hit so much harder because my hips and entire body are in the techniques and not just my upper body. The only part that really dislike is my stomach looks distended but I can still see my abs and can contract them harder than ever before.  I had someone in class hit my stomach the other night and he hurt his hand which I thought was pretty cool.

The thing I love most about Karate is that I will have something to improve for the rest of my life. 

• Like 2

Mm, yeah, I've heard that abdominal distension is a thing that we court in this art in particular. Annoying, but you can also break people's hands with your abs, which is pretty cool. :D

So, it basically sounds like a case of getting used to new adaptations. Hopefully that happens, and sooner rather than later at that.

• Like 1

Today's workout told me how easy it is to hurt my hip and then how to fix it.  

It started out with some really nice ankle weights that I found on sale today.  They are 4 pounds each and i thought it would be fun to do some lying side leg raises with them doing Tabata sets.  Needless to say, I should have started with no weight and went up because at the third set my right hip started screaming.  I stopped those and moved on to planks but it was still not a happy hip and I only did four sets of those before jumping on the foam roller.  The few painful moments on the roller and an little time on the lacrosse ball made it quiet down to the point where I could do body weight squats, holding on to the rack, with no pain.

After that came the hip flexor stretching routine, which went pretty well and then some kata to finish things up.  I also went back on the lacrosse ball and foam roller to make sure that it was all back in place.

This week went okay as far as workouts are concerned, I was able to get in my Karate class at home and I will finish up the meditation before bed tonight. 

I am really liking the shorter challenges.  It seems much easier to get things done and it doesn't make me feel like giving up, like when we had the longer challenges.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kishi said:

Good! Glad you got the fix.

Is the hip still good at this point?

It's much better thanks!  I am certain that it is an SI joint problem but the foam roller and some specific stretches seem to be able to fix it. It's still a work in progress but I think I can beat it.

• Like 1

After a really tough Karate class last night, I didn't think I would be able to workout tonight but I did.

I always liked the theories that Dan John preaches and I started to think about his 5 human movement concept.  It makes a lot of sense and even though I tried it before, this time I plan on starting out a little easier so that I don't burn out like I did last time.  

Tonight workout was simple but oddly enough I am still sweating 45 minutes after I finished it.

Loaded carries - Farmers walk 3 x 70+ steps
Squat - Assisted Squats - 4 x 5
Pull - Pull down - 4 x 92 x 5
Hinge - Kb deadlift 4 x 54 x 5

Push - Straight arm plank - 4 x 20 second hold Tabata

Extra credit:

Glute bridge - 4 x 5
Seiza ups - 5

I'm going to switch out the movements to keep things interesting but I hope to do this workout more often than I did the other workouts I was doing.  I know I say that all the time but one of these times, I will get it right.

It's always interesting to see various theories of strength at work. Dan John's stuff in particular reminds me of Alwyn Cosgrove, another sage of strength who incidentally has a martial arts background. But he talks about a lot of the same stuff - not necessarily prescribing specific movements so much as specific combinations of patterns. Mike Gillette talks about the same things too.

So, you know, you're in good company as far as the ideas are concerned. :)

But, yeah, keep trying and keep working.

• Like 1

Today was much like yesterday but a little different.

Loaded carries - Farmers walk 3 x 70+ steps
Squat - Assisted Squats - 3 x 5
Pull - low row - 3 x 97 x 5
Hinge - one arm kb swing 3 x 20 x 5 each arn

Push - push up - 3 x 5

Extra credit: Ab wheel roll out - 5

Some time with lacrosse ball too.

• Like 1