Garden Planning - What Do You Want To Grow?

1 minute ago, fitjulia said:

I'm here!

Following for garden inspiration.

I'm late to my garden game this year, I'm going to start planning it tomorrow and put in the garden bed (read: dig up some damn grass) at the end of the month. Plan is to just by pre-started plants this year. (moved in the fall, so not really up to speed for this season.)

Ugh, we had such a mild winter, and I started too soon! Now my seedlings are out of control and I don't think I get them in the ground until after the travels :( Hope they make it! Def will be supplementing with pre-started!

7 minutes ago, ~RedStone~ said:

Ugh, we had such a mild winter, and I started too soon! Now my seedlings are out of control and I don't think I get them in the ground until after the travels :( Hope they make it! Def will be supplementing with pre-started!

Have you started putting them outdoors yet? (in their seed containers, to acclimate to the outdoors). How long are you traveling for? You might be able to put them outside and have a friend water them while you are gone. What are the overnight lows like where you are?

Sorry, like a million questions. 

• Like 1

Jǫrð, Delvian Nomad - Level 12 { Battle Log }

27 minutes ago, fitjulia said:

Have you started putting them outdoors yet? (in their seed containers, to acclimate to the outdoors). How long are you traveling for? You might be able to put them outside and have a friend water them while you are gone. What are the overnight lows like where you are?

Sorry, like a million questions. 

Haha, not at all! We were rocking 70 degrees a few weeks ago, which was like, okay, great! Right on track. Then we got snow. 20 degrees! Made me super grumpy. Now it's inching back up again, still low overnights, sometimes still dipping below freezing. I'm in the North East USA, (NY state) and live on the side of a mountain so we get some weird weather up here, even compared to the town .5 mi away lol. 

So yeah, I'm afraid to start acclimating yet, but somethings gonna have to give, the cucumbers are already grabbing each other! lol

1 hour ago, ~RedStone~ said:

Haha, not at all! We were rocking 70 degrees a few weeks ago, which was like, okay, great! Right on track. Then we got snow. 20 degrees! Made me super grumpy. Now it's inching back up again, still low overnights, sometimes still dipping below freezing. I'm in the North East USA, (NY state) and live on the side of a mountain so we get some weird weather up here, even compared to the town .5 mi away lol. 

So yeah, I'm afraid to start acclimating yet, but somethings gonna have to give, the cucumbers are already grabbing each other! lol

I have two suggestions. 

1) This one is the most important. Point a fan on them at low speed. They need the wind resistance to building up stalk strength. If you let them grow wild indoors with no wind/breeze they will be weak and the outdoor wind will be brutal once they are out there and might break or die. 

2) Do they have enough root room? If so, just do #1 and you are good. if not, get some cheap containers and replant for more room?

3) BONUS! if you don't want to replant and they are crowded, thin the seedlings. But under no circumstances should you pull the extras out of the seed pot. Just snip them with scissors at the base. 

Sorry if you know all this! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fitjulia said:

Sorry if you know all this! 

Not at all! This is my time doing seeds indoors :)

We did snip the seedlings once their true leaves came out, and I *think* the trays are going to be okay - we got the jumbo size self watering ones, but stalk weakness, that's a concern! Especially for the sunflowers. There's a ceiling fan in that room, do you think that would work or should it be a more direct type of thing? (I also have the bigger ones stalked on wood skewers already...)

I think the ceiling fan should work. You don't want the fan super close anyway, unless you were very careful about keeping them watered. As long as the seedlings move slightly from the ceiling fan breeze, that should be enough. If you put your hand near the seedlings and feel nothing then maybe not. 

And by thinning the seedlings, I meant snipping out the extra seedlings and leaving just 1-2 per pot. Not sure if we were on the same page on what I meant. :)

This is what I meant by thinning: 

02cc74ae080a7c43db0bb55e0edaac9b.jpg

• Like 1

Yup! All done, several weeks ago. Poor little guys though, I should tend to them this afternoon, they get moldy. Any tips for that? I just scrape it away..

Water less? 

Remove any lids until they dry out a little. 

Prop the lids open a bit. 

Poke holes in the lid. 

Do the closer fan thing. 

That's all I got. :/

This morning we transferred some of the big stuff into larger pots, scraped off the mold and inso doing removed some of the shade for the smaller guys. The weather looks promising for the next few weeks and we're hoping to start training them when we get back from Vegas. In the meantime, we're gonna do the fan thing, and the big stuff is staked (sunflowers are easily 18" already and somehow not pot bound in the little pods!)

Checking in re: gardening. 

The better half constructed two 4ftx6ft raised beds this past weekend. I'm working on having gardening mix soil delivered on Friday and then it's going to be a rough two days of shoveling and wheel-barrowing it into the raised beds. 

Plans are: tomato, pepper, tomatillo, cucumber, eggplant, carrots, beets, swiss chard. Not a lot of any one thing because the beds are not too big. We'll see how this year goes. It's been a few years since I've had a real vegetable garden. Probably whatever does best in the mix/sun/spot I'll do more of next year. I'd also love to do a zucchini plant but that are huge. :(

As an experiment I planted pea seeds in hanging baskets this weekend, I'm curious if I can get them to grow this way. :) I'm also considering trying pole beans in two hanging baskets. 

• Like 1

Checking in re: gardening. 

The better half constructed two 4ftx6ft raised beds this past weekend. I'm working on having gardening mix soil delivered on Friday and then it's going to be a rough two days of shoveling and wheel-barrowing it into the raised beds. 

Plans are: tomato, pepper, tomatillo, cucumber, eggplant, carrots, beets, swiss chard. Not a lot of any one thing because the beds are not too big. We'll see how this year goes. It's been a few years since I've had a real vegetable garden. Probably whatever does best in the mix/sun/spot I'll do more of next year. I'd also love to do a zucchini plant but that are huge. :(

As an experiment I planted pea seeds in hanging baskets this weekend, I'm curious if I can get them to grow this way. :) I'm also considering trying pole beans in two hanging baskets. 

Nice! It's about that time isn't it? ;) Def want to hear about how the peas go! We have a petit variety of corn that was bred for containers, (we may still do hay bales) but we'll see!

Our seedlings have gone crazy, and the beds are only half prepared for them. The woods opened up while we were gone on holiday and everything is bright green, so I guess it's time to hustle the garden! I'm starting to harden them with a few hours outside, and after this next weekend I'll pretty much around for good so I can work with it more furiously.

(Today was supposed to be the day to finalize the deer fence, but it's raining, so I guess it can wait another day or two.) 

The weather here got warmer sooner than I expected, so I may be able to get started soon after the dirt arrives. Most stuff I'm buying as plants but some things that have a short growing season I will direct seed in the ground, like the beets and swiss chard. 

It rained hard last night, but we managed to get the cardboard and leaves into the beds before it started. This is my base layer before adding compost+soil on top. It looks like the rain will hold off on Fri/Sat to get the soil delivered and carted to the beds. 

I'll let you know about the peas! And once anything happens there will of course be pictures. 

• Like 1

Everything I grow is from seeds. I always at least do pole beans. They are like green beans but you build a structure for them to climb up and you don't have to bend over to pick them. I plant marigolds around them to keep the beetles away and they look pretty. :) I also don't have to pull weeds too much since the marigolds are pretty good at spreading around.

My family grows okra, zucchini, all sorts of squash and whatever kind of potatoes they feel like for the year. Peppers are difficult for us but they continue to try different kinds. Last year they had a good jalapeno crop. I would post pictures of last years garden but I'm on my work computer.

• Like 1

Adventurous Druid Ranger

Pain is inevitable, suffering is a choice.

Current Challenge: Sober September, and probably longer.

Okay, we finally, FINALLY got a chance to work the garden! It' not done, but now that the frost threat is over, we brought everything out permanently, sis get some of the seedling planted. grow bags should be arriving next week for the rest! Already feels a bazillion times better back there :) 

KdVpclQ.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ~RedStone~ said:

Okay, we finally, FINALLY got a chance to work the garden! It' not done, but now that the frost threat is over, we brought everything out permanently, sis get some of the seedling planted. grow bags should be arriving next week for the rest! Already feels a bazillion times better back there :) 

I'm so glad to see someone else who does pole beans! I also use twine, but my structure is just one straight wall. I should probably try the pyramid this year.

Where are you for this great climate to plant everything already? I'm in Michigan so we can't until it gets closer to June.

• Like 1

Adventurous Druid Ranger

1 hour ago, NucleotidalWave said:

I'm so glad to see someone else who does pole beans! I also use twine, but my structure is just one straight wall. I should probably try the pyramid this year.

Where are you for this great climate to plant everything already? I'm in Michigan so we can't until it gets closer to June.

:D we did beans a few years ago, but this season the trellises are committed to a few types of cucumbers (including mexican sour gherkins!!) We're in the lower part of the Hudson Valley NYS. It is a bit nippy still, but we get cool mountain air overnights all summer so I like to get these buggers ready ;) 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, ~RedStone~ said:

:D we did beans a few years ago, but this season the trellises are committed to a few types of cucumbers (including mexican sour gherkins!!) We're in the lower part of the Hudson Valley NYS. It is a bit nippy still, but we get cool mountain air overnights all summer so I like to get these buggers ready ;) 

Oh! I have never grown cucumbers on a trellis. Usually we just stick them to the ground and let them spread. Is this particular type of cucumber generally grown on a trellis or do you think all types should be done that way?

• Like 1

Adventurous Druid Ranger

6 minutes ago, NucleotidalWave said:

Oh! I have never grown cucumbers on a trellis. Usually we just stick them to the ground and let them spread. Is this particular type of cucumber generally grown on a trellis or do you think all types should be done that way?

Nah, just the gherkins - they're super small and delicate and do better on a frame than anything else. We just figured since we were doing those, we'd just do a cucumber station! Should help me remember to keep up with the pickling cukes harvest, I have a habit of letting them get too big and going to seed :P 

6 minutes ago, ~RedStone~ said:

Nah, just the gherkins - they're super small and delicate and do better on a frame than anything else. We just figured since we were doing those, we'd just do a cucumber station! Should help me remember to keep up with the pickling cukes harvest, I have a habit of letting them get too big and going to seed :P 

That's so awesome. I wish everything could be grown on a trellis. Makes this process so much easier. Can you imagine peppers on one?!

• Like 1

Adventurous Druid Ranger

I think some cucumbers are specifically labeled as "bush", like with beans. So I had a hard time this year finding some I thought would climb because most in the store were labelled bush cucumbers. And I decided to do them late so I didn't' want to wait for seeds to arrive in the mail. 

7 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I think some cucumbers are specifically labeled as "bush", like with beans. So I had a hard time this year finding some I thought would climb because most in the store were labelled bush cucumbers. And I decided to do them late so I didn't' want to wait for seeds to arrive in the mail. 

We get our seeds from our own crop or local farmers market. They are usually trustworthy and we can easily get them before we are ready to plant. I can't tell you the exact name of the ones we grow but they seem to be climbable. We don't though because the cucumbers themselves are heavy, so maybe they are "bush"?

• Like 1

Adventurous Druid Ranger

2 hours ago, NucleotidalWave said:

We get our seeds from our own crop or local farmers market. They are usually trustworthy and we can easily get them before we are ready to plant. I can't tell you the exact name of the ones we grow but they seem to be climbable. We don't though because the cucumbers themselves are heavy, so maybe they are "bush"?

Last year for my birthday we went to a seed saving event at the local seed farm where we normally get our seeds. (I just said seeds a million times LOL) I kind of love that place and we did harvest a few of our own last year, hoping to see how they do!

_____

Also, patty pan squash is a bush? Didn't know, but that's going to make planting within our small space a whole lot easier :D 

4 minutes ago, ~RedStone~ said:

Last year for my birthday we went to a seed saving event at the local seed farm where we normally get our seeds. (I just said seeds a million times LOL) I kind of love that place and we did harvest a few of our own last year, hoping to see how they do!

_____

Also, patty pan squash is a bush? Didn't know, but that's going to make planting within our small space a whole lot easier :D 

I don't think I said anything about patty pan squash...

Adventurous Druid Ranger