Garden Planning - What Do You Want To Grow?

4 minutes ago, NucleotidalWave said:

I don't think I said anything about patty pan squash...

1 minute ago, NucleotidalWave said:

Has anyone tried eating zucchini blossoms? It was a thing last year.

Oh, haha, no, we did patty pan from seed this year and I kind of assumed they would be trailers like any other kind of squash. (Guess all the seed talk got me thinking about it!) When I was looking into though, turns out they're more bush like! Which is great- they're probably our strongest plants right now and I would hate to have to give some up for space issues.

The only way I've ever had zucchini blossoms were battered and fried. Very taste... not so healthy :P

6 minutes ago, ~RedStone~ said:

Oh, haha, no, we did patty pan from seed this year and I kind of assumed they would be trailers like any other kind of squash. (Guess all the seed talk got me thinking about it!) When I was looking into though, turns out they're more bush like! Which is great- they're probably our strongest plants right now and I would hate to have to give some up for space issues.

The only way I've ever had zucchini blossoms were battered and fried. Very taste... not so healthy :P

What do you do with pattypan? Does it taste like any other squash?

My dad was sure that the flowers are poisonous. But I guess not?

Adventurous Druid Ranger

Pain is inevitable, suffering is a choice.

Current Challenge: Sober September, and probably longer.

2 minutes ago, NucleotidalWave said:

My dad was sure that they are poisonous. But I guess not?

What do you do with pattypan? Does it taste like any other squash?

Oh, patty pan is really delicious! Tender flesh and sweetish, but not as sweet as acorn :) Roast, stir fry, steam. They taste very fresh and young.

(zucchini blossoms being poisonous? *shrugs* I'm still here ;))

51 minutes ago, ~RedStone~ said:

Oh, patty pan is really delicious! Tender flesh and sweetish, but not as sweet as acorn :) Roast, stir fry, steam. They taste very fresh and young.

(zucchini blossoms being poisonous? *shrugs* I'm still here ;))

I'm 99% sure they are not poisonous. I see recipes for stuffed squash blossoms all the time. 

• Like 1

Jǫrð, Delvian Nomad - Level 12 { Battle Log }

Just popping in!

Haven't read everyones yet, but briefed through some stuff.

Got:

Beets

Kale

Broccoli 

Tomatoes (grape and romaine)

Cucumbers

One Watermelon

and One Pumpkin

My Raspberry bush from last year has taken over out flower garden and is blooming like crazy

The Blueberry bushes we planted last year has new shoots and has alot of flowers! 

:) planting in my tomatoes today.  Its been really cold out in the last few days, So I've got the day to myself and going to plant my tomaters. 

• Like 1

"One should eat to live, not live to eat." -Molaire-

"People always forget their hangover" -My dear ol' dad

"People are born to live, while some are born to evolve." 

All of my seeds are starting to germinate except for cucumber (haven't checked in 2 days though). Maybe it is not warm enough yet? I'm hoping I don't have to plant new cucmber seeds. I'm mildly worried it was too cold and maybe they just got wet and rotted. I planted them 3 weeks ago. 

Anybody have a favorite way they upload photos? I will try to get some progress pics this coming Sunday. 

• Like 1

All of my seeds are starting to germinate except for cucumber (haven't checked in 2 days though). Maybe it is not warm enough yet? I'm hoping I don't have to plant new cucmber seeds. I'm mildly worried it was too cold and maybe they just got wet and rotted. I planted them 3 weeks ago. 

Anybody have a favorite way they upload photos? I will try to get some progress pics this coming Sunday. 

I'm afraid I have to reseed a few things :( but we did have some survivors so there's that I guess lol

I like imgur for photos, free and easy I can dm you deets if you need!

Sent from somewhere in the universe

11 minutes ago, ~RedStone~ said:

I'm afraid I have to reseed a few things :( but we did have some survivors so there's that I guess lol

I think it is a given that you will always need to reseed something.

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

14 minutes ago, ~RedStone~ said:

2 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

I think it is a given that you will always need to reseed something.

I covered the beds for the recent frosts/cold spells. It definitely was a PIA. Two bean seeds were just starting to come up when I checked on stuff on Monday. Before the snow/frost the chard, beets, kholrabi, zucchini seeds were already germinated. I also wanted to try some pole beans in hanging baskets, so now I don't feel so bad that I haven't started those yet because it snowed on Saturday!

I should have just planted less of the cucumber seeds because there weren't many in the package and so I'll have to buy more if I need to reseed. 

2 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I also wanted to try some pole beans in hanging baskets, so now I don't feel so bad that I haven't started those yet because it snowed on Saturday!

We are grateful that we procrastinated. We did not plant anything yet. Maybe this weekend though. I will have to reconstruct my pole bean climber. Is this your first time using hanging baskets for them? I have never heard of using that. I would think that they need to climb in order to be happy though (hence the "pole" term derived from the way they are grown)

Adventurous Druid Ranger

14 minutes ago, NucleotidalWave said:

Here is our garden last year. Here is to hoping it is as beautiful this time around!

Garden view.jpg

That is a lovely garden indeed! I love how uncontained it is. :) 

25 minutes ago, NucleotidalWave said:

We are grateful that we procrastinated. We did not plant anything yet. Maybe this weekend though. I will have to reconstruct my pole bean climber. Is this your first time using hanging baskets for them? I have never heard of using that. I would think that they need to climb in order to be happy though (hence the "pole" term derived from the way they are grown)

c99cde1fdceb99a8919553af84c733e4.jpg

I'm doing some beans on poles and some beans in baskets, as an experiment. If i can get some things to work from baskets, that would be a pretty way to decorate and have it be edible! I have peas in window baskets that are doing really well as of right now, they are about 5-6 inches tall and beautiful. But we shall see how this experiment progresses!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I'm doing some beans on poles and some beans in baskets, as an experiment. If i can get some things to work from baskets, that would be a pretty way to decorate and have it be edible! I have peas in window baskets that are doing really well as of right now, they are about 5-6 inches tall and beautiful. But we shall see how this experiment progresses!

I bet they will make your home look so lovely! The pea blossoms are so pretty!

Adventurous Druid Ranger

7 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Never thought of doing veggies in baskets. Edible pretties!

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

In my garden I have:

beets

spinach

lettuce

kale

collards

beans

carrots

green onions

That garden is in the back yard and kind of shady. So this year I dug up a small section of our front yard to see if I could get  some things I struggle with to grow: we have cucumbers , tomatoes, basil, and flowers

Then we have some fruit: raspberries, blueberries, and a small apple tree that produces tons of apples.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Then we have some fruit: raspberries, blueberries, and a small apple tree that produces tons of apples.

I would love to add some fruit to the garden in future years! It would be so exciting to not have to buy berries, which are seriously so expensive. But so delicious and lower in sugar than other fruit! 

There are some thorny plants in the yard (just moved in the fall) but I'm not convinced they are raspberries. I am only knowledgeable about vegetables and some flowers. I know nothing about thorny berry bushes or roses, so I'm basically going to wait until they flower later in the year to see what happens. They do look like they need to be pruned though. Yard clean-up is seriously going to take me at least a year. It's a rental house, but since yard work is basically fun exercise I don't have to do indoors, I don't mind doing work that I may not enjoy forever. I'm planning to rent here for at least 5-10 years. 

Also, I have "Green Goddess" section in my LUYL character and I just realized I accomplished almost all of them now! Terrarium is still a TBD. And instead of lawn mowing service I bought a lawn mower. 

Time to think of new goals! Also I can't believe these copied and pasted almost formatted exactly the same as on the website. 

Green Goddess Quests

imgSet up lawn mowing service15 XP

imgPlant front flower bed20 XP

Make an ewok terrarium10 XP

imgPut in raised bed for vegetables, any size50 XP

imgPlant window baskets10 XP
  • Like 1

Stupid rabbits:disgust: Went out to the garden yesterday, and they had eaten all my lettuce and spinach. We have a plastic owl set up- but apparently that didn't deter them.

Hi all!

I was just told about this thread and it looks like a good one!

I just put in an aquaponics greenhouse. I currently have planted:

Cucumbers

Cherry tomatoes

Beefsteak tomatoes

Watermelon

Jalapeños

Lunchbox

Peppers

Romaine lettuce

Bell peppers

Big Bertha peppers

Spinach

Carrots

Radishes

nasturtiums

Here are some pictures, I need to take some updated ones because the carrots and radishes in a tower I made.

fca1c947580b42c85547f77185b97aa7.jpg

d6cdb7c6ed2bde3fbbdf61d48120c292.jpg

1bba00472df9c6bb3fbde3c1cdbc896f.jpg

c30b4d50c65ff1e6caf7cded4d596837.jpg

8ecace7873eb86e9ca76598c4ed31f46.jpg

e3898d89e811684009639173213827d5.jpg

c5923b94785b6ca0a6da3b680fe5b58e.jpg

Sent by captain's orders via raven

Level 8 Scottish Highland Assassin

Str 20/ Dex 10/ Sta 15/ Con 17/ Wis 20/ Cha 13

"Most of the things worth doing have been declared impossible before they were done."

Daily Battle Log

My Fitness Pal

Fitbit

Facebook

1 hour ago, captncid said:

Hi all!

I was just told about this thread and it looks like a good one!

I just put in an aquaponics greenhouse. I currently have planted:

I just skimmed yer post at first before reading it and I was like, "he did not just post pics of his hydroponic mar-i-ju-wanna plants did he? Hahaha. 

On 5/25/2016 at 0:05 PM, Elastigirl said:

Stupid rabbits:disgust: Went out to the garden yesterday, and they had eaten all my lettuce and spinach. We have a plastic owl set up- but apparently that didn't deter them.

Noooooooooooooooo. Glad I didn't buy the plastic owl, my BF tried to talk me into it, because plastic owl. At least lettuce and spinach grow quickly? Still is lame to have to buy new seeds.

I had like only 8 sunflower seeds germinate out of a whole package, and then they seem to have all died or vanished. Granted I put them in the ground in regular dirt near the driveway, but I was hoping for better. I think maybe a bird or animal ate the seedlings? There is only ONE left (as of yesterday!).

36 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I just skimmed yer post at first before reading it and I was like, "he did not just post pics of his hydroponic mar-i-ju-wanna plants did he? Hahaha. 

Noooooooooooooooo. Glad I didn't buy the plastic owl, my BF tried to talk me into it, because plastic owl. At least lettuce and spinach grow quickly? Still is lame to have to buy new seeds.

I had like only 8 sunflower seeds germinate out of a whole package, and then they seem to have all died or vanished. Granted I put them in the ground in regular dirt near the driveway, but I was hoping for better. I think maybe a bird or animal ate the seedlings? There is only ONE left (as of yesterday!).

I do pretty good with getting veggie seeds to germinate, but have rotten luck with flower seeds for some reason.

45 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

I do pretty good with getting veggie seeds to germinate, but have rotten luck with flower seeds for some reason.

I'm thinking about getting some more sunflower seeds and starting them indoors. But you have to be carefully they don't get too big and weak stems before you put them outside. I'm not sure how well it will work. I've not had luck with sunflowers started indoors int he past. 

Have you tried starting flower seeds inside?