Garden Planning - What Do You Want To Grow?

2 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

@~RedStone~, how is the garden going? 

Oh man, thanks for pinging me here! I was just kind of wondering what was going on in this thread, been awhile!! Things are def moving along (be prepared for an onslaught of photos) and I think it's nearly time to harvest the garlic! I dug down into the beds to see, and they look great. We had a few reboots after the seedling fail, but so far the only thing that's really suffering seems to be the mexican gerkins, they're so delicate I have a feeling they'd do better in a greenhouse like @captncid !! (Very amazing work you have there btw, I hope to set up a system like that someday!!!)

Also, I'm glad I went out there to take pictures, spotted a Japanese beetle getting busy with my rhubarb :( So had to take care of that! Harvested one poblano pepper so far lol, hoping to see some color in the cherry tomatoes soon! Any updates on your end? BTW, I saw a mom in a grocery store this week call her daughter Taddea :D 

va2m90Hm.jpg wXQHizzm.jpg 

The little tomatoes and artichokes

SAQ6uvam.jpg JY5VI6fm.jpg

Patty Pan Squash and Corn

P9ob3KVm.jpg GGjqxuNm.jpg

And the deck! Lots of herbs and some lettuce greens :D Citronella and patchouli 

EBpyYURm.jpg SEx0351m.jpg

• Like 2

I googled and it wasn't on this list: http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/pests/plant_pests/veg_fruit/hgic2207.html I'm not sure. 

I currently have cabbage worms attacking my brussel sprouts. I put insecticidal soap on them yesterday to try to kill them rather than just picking them off. If I go back tonight and they aren't dead then I guess manual removal it is. I also have neem oil I'm using in the garden in general, so I'll apply that next. I wanted to start with the organic insecticidal soap because I'd rather kill them than just deter them, which I think is moreso what neem oil does, deter insects. 

• Like 1

Jǫrð, Delvian Nomad - Level 12 { Battle Log }

I have some stuff growing this year:

4 colors of bell peppers

4 cucumbers

cherry tomato

watermelon

2 egg plants

carrots

beets

beans

snap peas

lettuces

pumpkin

cantaloupe

kale

2 butternut squash

I need to update though since these are older pics

0oJckHil.png

Iwullp1l.png

6DnjNAtl.png

UThblOYl.png

7dPwrpPl.png

Mr63sHVl.png

CpPzNVvl.png

BNCYvVyl.png

• Like 1

OCEAN RANGER

YOUTUBE ADVENTURES

2 X IRONMAN, 3 X half IRONMAN, 3 X GORUCK Challenge, 2 X GORUCK back to back, Way too many GORUCK lights

On 7/18/2016 at 4:37 PM, doctorake said:

I have some stuff growing this year:

4 colors of bell peppers

4 cucumbers

cherry tomato

watermelon

2 egg plants

carrots

beets

beans

snap peas

lettuces

pumpkin

cantaloupe

kale

2 butternut squash

I need to update though since these are older pics

Awesome! Your plants are looking fabulous. I love that when you ran out of room you just started planting in containers. I'm probably going to start some lettuce next month in pots where I had stuff die while on was on vacation. 

Someone needs to buy you a salad spinner!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, captncid said:

Hey all!

I just got this on my basil and my tomato plants. It kinda looks like salt or sugar. Any ideas on what it could be?

43a5d2df2163f68cb39ca4749178a8f0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm, looks like mildew... white powder?

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 11:47 AM, Taddea Zhaan said:

Anyone starting to play their garden for this year? 

Started planning for the Spring just the other day. I am hoping to expand my 3, 4 X 8 Foot beds to 8 total.

Definite plants:

• Beets
  • Carrots
  • Peas
  • Lettuce(staged in groups)
  • Peppers(Maybe just a banana)
  • Cherry Tomatoes
  • Strawberries(covered so no more bird thief's)
  • Eggplant(one more try this year)
  • Cantaloupe
  • Cucumber(only one)
  • Butternut squash

Possible plants:

• Spinach
  • Broccoli
  • Cauliflower
  • Cabbage
  • Iceberg
  • Taters/Onions
  • Celery
  • Asparagus
  • Corn
  • Like 1

OCEAN RANGER

YOUTUBE ADVENTURES

2 X IRONMAN, 3 X half IRONMAN, 3 X GORUCK Challenge, 2 X GORUCK back to back, Way too many GORUCK lights

Great list! I always think about broccoli and cauliflower, but they take up so much room for how much they grow. If I had a giant garden I definitely would. I have two 4x4 beds and one long bed along the side of the house, and one 2x3 planter box for herbs. 

That would be awesome to go from 3 to 8 garden beds!! 

I told myself that once I do my two beds successfully I can put in more. I used to garden all the time and then took a break for medical reasons. These two just got put in last year, but I got so busy that I abandoned my post in September. Which I still feel guilty about. 

Tagging @RedStone to see what she's up to too. 

• Like 1

Oh yay! resurrected the garden thread! :D I guess it's about that time. I'm not sure if we'll do much this year... certainly not planning anything more than a few containers, because... we're looking to buy a new house! With any luck we'll be in a new place in time for some gardening, but alas, I doubt the timing will work out to do a proper few beds like we've done in the past :( Just a matter of time though, Mr Red wants more property than we're on now :) 

• Like 1

Tentative plans: 

the two 4x4 beds:

tomato

green pepper

beets

green beans

cucumbers (last two on trellis),

plus one other thing to be determined

planter box:

2-3 zucchini plants (last year they got eaten by squash bugs and I want to keep them separate and under watchful eye)

shallow bed along house:

basil

parsley

cilantro

rosemary

lettuce

already have oregano and chives from last year

hanging baskets: 

strawberries

window baskets: 
TBD, maybe radishes and some kind of short heirloom carrot, short rooted stuff that I can rotate as they grow/finish

I need to go through my seeds from last year and see what I already have. I should find a local seed exchange. 

I would also love to plant some pumpkin plants along the far fence because the grass doesn't get long there so I wouldn't have to worry about mowing around them. We shall see. 

Oh and I also do green onion in the herb bed. I just plant the white part from the store in the ground and they grow. Actually, I have some from the fall that are STILL growing. If they survive I may only need to add a few more. I kind of am curious to see if they grow into full-size onions in one northern season... 

I went through my seed collection and it turns out the only seeds I need this year are rutabaga and carrot! I have carrot seeds but I want some heirloom ones that grow short for window baskets. 

When it gets closer to planting time I may start a thread here to chronicle the gardening this year. Partly as a motivation to keep myself organized. I fell off the garden wagon last fall when life got crazy and I didn't get to eat the full potential of my garden. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I went through my seed collection and it turns out the only seeds I need this year are rutabaga and carrot! I have carrot seeds but I want some heirloom ones that grow short for window baskets. 

When it gets closer to planting time I may start a thread here to chronicle the gardening this year. Partly as a motivation to keep myself organized. I fell off the garden wagon last fall when life got crazy and I didn't get to eat the full potential of my garden. 

Or you could just not grow carrots...:biggrin-new:

<---carrot hater

• Like 1

Adventurous Druid Ranger

Pain is inevitable, suffering is a choice.

Current Challenge: Sober September, and probably longer.

We homeschool and are using the garden as science over the spring/summer. This year (in raised beds) we are planting carrots, onion, garlic, tomatoes, bell pepper, jalapeño and strawberries. Our onion sets go in next weekend. Put in 2 new bags of top soil and a bag of miracle grow soil plus preen in each box last weekend to help prep. I'm in Missouri so there's a few weeks to go before the season really starts.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hey all!

I am in the process of moving my greenhouse to another location. Long story short, went through a divorce at the end of last year and had to find a new home for it.

This year will be half veggies and half for an experiment for a farmer I know. It could turn into something better for the future. I'll post pics again once it is operational!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Level 8 Scottish Highland Assassin

Str 20/ Dex 10/ Sta 15/ Con 17/ Wis 20/ Cha 13

"Most of the things worth doing have been declared impossible before they were done."

Daily Battle Log

My Fitness Pal

Fitbit

Facebook

@purplebug and I (mostly her, TBH) are trying our hand at gardening again this spring! We only have a veranda but it's a nice, big, sunny one (rarity in Osaka, lucky us!), and we've planted seeds for spinach, bok choy, rocket, mizuna, basil, oregano, cilantro, parsley, and dill, and we are growing two types of lettuce and broccoli from seedlings, plus two types of flowers just because. Hoping it works out! You all have some pretty impressive gardens, it's really inspiring!