Garden Planning - What Do You Want To Grow?

We always had a garden when I was a kid, but this year is my first garden on my own.  I took over and kept my mom's hibiscus alive this past year, and it easily doubled its size, so I'm reasonably certain I should get some sort of yield.   Everything in containers because of my lease; which seems like a really good idea right until I'm purchasing soil at the store, then I question my sanity.  

Current plants:

Strawberries

Rhubarb

Tomatoes (big beef, and some heirloom purple variety)

Lettuce and Spinach 

Onions

Raspberry

Bluetta and Bluecrop blueberries

Possible plants, 

Green beans

Green and Sweet peppers

Dwarf, peach, apple and plum trees. 

Also, I have a bunch of wildflowers to be planted around my fence in the hopes of attracting bees and butterflies.   

Level 20 Ranger Monk 

Str- 18, Dex-12, Sta-10, Con-23, Wis-88, Cha-47

"Not all who wander are lost."

"We Shall Not Practice Fear"

Current Battlelog

At this point, I'll settle for growing anything that's not stupid weeds! ;)

We got snow last Monday, but with any luck that should be the end of it for the spring. Looking forward to June showers so I can try to get some cover crops down to compete with the multitude of rhizomatous jerks taking over the lot. :D

• Like 1

...but I'm adorable! Ask anyone who doesn't know me...

17 hours ago, Defining said:

At this point, I'll settle for growing anything that's not stupid weeds! ;)

We got snow last Monday, but with any luck that should be the end of it for the spring. Looking forward to June showers so I can try to get some cover crops down to compete with the multitude of rhizomatous jerks taking over the lot. :D

SNOW. Where do you live?

What cover crop do you have in mind? 

Jǫrð, Delvian Nomad - Level 12 { Battle Log }

10 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

SNOW. Where do you live?

What cover crop do you have in mind? 

:beguiled: Calgary, AB. We get some freak weather sometimes because we're smooshed between mountains and prairies. But the winter chinooks are nice. 

Trying a few different options; peas, oats, buckwheat, clover. Have some vetch lined up for the fall - really, I just want to choke out the stupid weeds. We have a vile concoction of creeping invasives that are getting out of hand.

Do you have much experience with cover crops? Any suggestions?! 

First - squeeee!!! I just found a gardening post on a fitness forum. I have found my people. Hi!!! <waves like an idiot>

11 hours ago, Defining said:

Trying a few different options; peas, oats, buckwheat, clover. Have some vetch lined up for the fall - really, I just want to choke out the stupid weeds. We have a vile concoction of creeping invasives that are getting out of hand.

Do you have much experience with cover crops? Any suggestions?! 

I have used most of what you listed at various times, vetch and buckwheat are my favorites. They grow fast and choke out weeds really well, and both of them make the pollinators really happy happy. I'm a beekeeper too, so most years when the local nectar flow slows down in the heat I plant a whole bed (4'x8') of buckwheat just for them. 

You are in a very different climate than I am (coastal North Carolina, U.S.),  but FWIW my worst local creeping invasive is dollarweed, and both the vetch and the buckwheat can hold their own against it. Dollarweed is allegedly a cultural problem (too much moisture/poor drainage) but I think that's bogus because it takes over here even in my best-drained vermiculite-intensive raised beds. 

• Like 2

“Then something Tookish woke up inside of him, and he wished to go and see the great mountains, and hear the pine-trees and the waterfalls, and explore the caves, and wear a sword instead of a walking-stick."

-J. R. R. Tolkien

2022 Challenges: Push, Core, SimplePooh, Timebox, NaNoWriMo

2023 Challenges: 20SOC, Travel, Battery, Song n'Dance

2 hours ago, Gemma Phoenix said:

I have used most of what you listed at various times, vetch and buckwheat are my favorites. They grow fast and choke out weeds really well, and both of them make the pollinators really happy happy. I'm a beekeeper too, so most years when the local nectar flow slows down in the heat I plant a whole bed (4'x8') of buckwheat just for them.

Any tips on getting buckwheat established? I suspect the dry climate here is causing my issues, but I water twice a day! I broadcasted it about a month ago into 1/4“ of compost (leaf mold and grass clippings that went through the hot pile), and none of it has come up. :(

The invasives I'm dealing with are creeping bellflower, goutweed, quackgrass, and ground ivy (which is pretty close to your dollar weed). I even found some feral false solomon's seal that popped up last year in the back invading the nearby compost pile last week. :chuncky:

1 minute ago, Defining said:

Any tips on getting buckwheat established? I suspect the dry climate here is causing my issues, but I water twice a day! I broadcasted it about a month ago into 1/4“ of compost (leaf mold and grass clippings that went through the hot pile), and none of it has come up. :(

Gemma probably has a better answer, but my first reaction is that the soil temp was maybe not warm enough yet? But I'm not familiar with growing buckwheat. If that struggles and you are still having snow, then my next suggestion would be to go with peas because they love love love cool weather.  

What are the temps like now? How old was the seed? 

• Like 1

Jǫrð, Delvian Nomad - Level 12 { Battle Log }

7 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Gemma probably has a better answer, but my first reaction is that the soil temp was maybe not warm enough yet? But I'm not familiar with growing buckwheat. If that struggles and you are still having snow, then my next suggestion would be to go with peas because they love love love cool weather.  

What are the temps like now? How old was the seed? 

Probably dead accurate assessment, I plant mine in July/August and where I live warm, moist soil is the rule not the exception. Never tried it in cool or cold weather. Have you looked into winter rye? 

• Like 1

“Then something Tookish woke up inside of him, and he wished to go and see the great mountains, and hear the pine-trees and the waterfalls, and explore the caves, and wear a sword instead of a walking-stick."

-J. R. R. Tolkien

2022 Challenges: Push, Core, SimplePooh, Timebox, NaNoWriMo

2023 Challenges: 20SOC, Travel, Battery, Song n'Dance

:chuncky: We're pretty warm this time of the year, day time temps for the last week have been 26-30C. I mean, yeah we got snow, but it was 28C the day previous, and 16C the day after, so nothing cooled down too too badly. 

I'm a bit leery of winter rye, I've heard it's difficult to terminate, and there are an awful lot of little nooks and crannies it could go to seed in... 

On the topic of wonky weather:

It was 22C at 8pm yesterday. 

At 10pm it was 10C, due to 100km/hr winds. 

It was 13C and raining this morning. 

20C in the afternoon. 

We had 16.5hrs of sunlight today. 

There is a frost advisory in the north end of the city for tonight. 

:blink: