As per my usual in 2016, its the third day of the challenge and I'm getting my thread started. Meh, I've been busy. But, let's get to it.

Last challenge I mastered my late night snacking tendencies after limiting them in my first challenge. I'm not going to make that a goal, but intend to keep it going. I've also been soda free since the start of the last challenge, but I'm going to continue that goal. Those 2 things plus the training has my weight down 5.5 pounds in 2016 and has my 5K time down by about 30 seconds per mile. So, let's kick that up a notch.

Goal #1 

While continuing to limit the late night snacking I'm setting my sights on the other part of my day that is near sleepy times -- the morning. I have a tendency to hit the drive thru for some coffee on the way to work. That wouldn't be so bad, except while sitting in line I will usually decide that I need something to eat to go along with the coffee. I speak from lots of experience, there are no healthy foods available in any drive thru. So, my goal is to eliminate the drive thru food. My plan is to attack it the way I did with snacking after 9 PM. So, for this challenge, I'm limiting myself to once per week and the next challenge I'll eliminate them completely.

Goal #2

Continuing the no soda goal.

Goal #3

Continuing the plan. We're on to the second month of the plan, which means new exercises but the same overall program layout. I'm feeling stronger and faster on my runs. Additionally, I haven't had any of the injuries I typically get when jumping into a new routine. So, I'm just following the plan.

Goal #4.

I failed at this goal last time, but, I'm going to try to do it this month. 1 blog post per week for the length of the challenge. So, 4 posts this challenge.

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

Updates so far:

#1: No drive thrus in the morning thus far, but its only been 3 days.

#2: Still no soda.

#3: Lifting upper body on Monday and Legs today. I don't know why lunges take more out of me than squats do, but they do. I did not run sprints yesterday. My scheduled workout time was used by shoveling 6 inches of heavy, wet snow off my 5,000 sq. ft driveway. I was sweating and breathing heavy enough so as to render sprints to be more like jogs.

#4: I haven't written anything yet, but I have come up with a topic. Baby steps I guess.

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

How did the first week end up for you? I really like your no drive through food goal. It seems like a small goal, but little things like that make such a difference!

It seems like the no soda and skipping late night snacks had an impact. So, I'm hoping this does as well. I mean, the stuff available in the drive through while filling some cravings, cannot be all that good for you. Right?

Okay, so the TL;DR week 1 update is: Not great, could've been worse all things considered.

Now the longer version.

Goal#1 : No drive through. Success! No food purchased in the drive through. Although, I did pick up a coffee on Thursday when my ass was dragging, but managed to summon 20 seconds of courage and not order food.

Goal#2 : No soda. :( Managed to get sick over the weekend which explains why I was so tired leading up to the weekend. I had some Ginger Ale on Saturday to help settle an unsettled stomach before heading out to help run the Pinewood Derby races. Other than that, no soda all week. I should be back on track with this one now.

Goal #3 : Training suffered a little on Friday and over the weekend. Did not get out for sprints and did not lift anything heavy. Between being sick and my son's Pinewood Derby race this weekend, I just didn't have enough energy left to do the things. Helping with my son's car (I really do try to only help and let him build it, honest) and coordinating the timing system for the races took way too much of my time. This week my daughter has her musical performances and practice every day up to then. So, there will be a lot of chauffeuring at night this week. I'm starting to feel like I've got some energy but even that is starting to lag a little today. On the plus side, I did lift heavy things this morning and feel like I should be able to tackle sprints tomorrow. So, we're getting back up on that horse, but there are some things that threaten to knock me back off if I'm not careful.

Goal #4 : Missed. :grumpy:  I started writing a post about the Pinewood Derby but its not done yet. So, I missed the first week of blog posts. On the plus side, I'm a good ways towards nailing this one this week.

So, I did some good stuff, got sick and missed some stuff. But, all things considered, it wasn't so bad. Only a couple of days got messed up. Now I just need to not let them become habit.

It seems like the no soda and skipping late night snacks had an impact. So, I'm hoping this does as well. I mean, the stuff available in the drive through while filling some cravings, cannot be all that good for you. Right?

Absolutely! Great job :) I think ginger ale for a tummy ache is a fine reason to have a teeny bit of soda though. Though if you're really looking to kick the carbonation, ginger tea works just as well in my experience :D

Hmm, ginger tea sounds like a good idea. I'll have to give that a try. I was brewing black tea with a little honey to calm down the cough and sore throat. My grandmother would be proud, but wondering why no milk. She was a proper English gal. :D

• Like 1

I felt awesome when I got up this morning. Of course, 54 degrees at sunrise in Wisconsin in March will put a little pep in your step.

I went outdoors for my sprint intervals and after starting it started to rain. Forecast said it was going to be cloudy in the morning and rain late afternoon. Shoulda checked the radar I guess. But, as I was already out in it, I finished up the sprints and went home soaking wet. Just before I got home, the rain stopped.  :sorrow:

I must not be at 100% yet. Like I said, I felt great when I got up, but I was really lagging at the end of my sprints. Just didn't have much in the tank to keep the speed up. They last sprint was more like a jog and that's as fast as I could go. Oh well, it sure beat laying on the couch just hoping to feel good enough to get up and take the dog for a walk like Saturday.

• Like 2

While continuing to limit the late night snacking I'm setting my sights on the other part of my day that is near sleepy times -- the morning. I have a tendency to hit the drive thru for some coffee on the way to work. That wouldn't be so bad, except while sitting in line I will usually decide that I need something to eat to go along with the coffee. I speak from lots of experience, there are no healthy foods available in any drive thru. So, my goal is to eliminate the drive thru food. My plan is to attack it the way I did with snacking after 9 PM. So, for this challenge, I'm limiting myself to once per week and the next challenge I'll eliminate them completely.

I don't know your specific drive-through vulnerabilities, but it sounds like you might qualify for our "PaL-Anon" (pastry lovers anonymous) support group ;-)

Great job avoiding it in week 1!

I felt awesome when I got up this morning. Of course, 54 degrees at sunrise in Wisconsin in March will put a little pep in your step.

I went outdoors for my sprint intervals and after starting it started to rain. Forecast said it was going to be cloudy in the morning and rain late afternoon. Shoulda checked the radar I guess. But, as I was already out in it, I finished up the sprints and went home soaking wet. Just before I got home, the rain stopped.  :sorrow:

I must not be at 100% yet. Like I said, I felt great when I got up, but I was really lagging at the end of my sprints. Just didn't have much in the tank to keep the speed up. They last sprint was more like a jog and that's as fast as I could go. Oh well, it sure beat laying on the couch just hoping to feel good enough to get up and take the dog for a walk like Saturday.

I know what you're talking about. It's hard to understand why the body needs so much time to recover from "plague", but sometimes it just does. Sounds like you put in as much effort as your body was able to give. Next time should be easier. Great work!

• Like 1

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

Slow and steady! It's definitely sick season, but you're doing the right thing :)

I think so, but I was having such success of making a habit and sticking with it, I'm really hoping to feel 100% soon and get right back where I was. I'm not real good at slowing things down and being patient. But, that's why I chose the program I did, because it forced me to slow down and not get injuries. Just a little anxious about slowing things down further.

I don't know your specific drive-through vulnerabilities, but it sounds like you might qualify for our "PaL-Anon" (pastry lovers anonymous) support group ;-)

Great job avoiding it in week 1!

I know what you're talking about. It's hard to understand why the body needs so much time to recover from "plague", but sometimes it just does. Sounds like you put in as much effort as your body was able to give. Next time should be easier. Great work!

PaL-Anon, I like that! My vulnerabilities stem from not having discriminating tastes, waiting in line and thinking of what could be for what seems like forever before I order. Then it doesn't matter much whether its a pastry at the coffee shop or an Egg McMuffin at McDonald's. I pretty much need to avoid getting coffee at a drive thru,or I will buy other stuff.

I'm hoping that in another day or two (or at least by Saturday and my next scheduled sprint intervals) I'll be back to 100%. In the meantime, I'm just taking a little longer between my resistance circuits.

The weather was too good Wednesday night to not take advantage of it with a run. I mean, its Wisconsin in March and the temperature was in the upper 60's at 7:00 at night. How can I not take advantage? Especially since this morning was 40 and foggy, which is still warm this time of year but nothing like Wednesday. It felt really slow, but I was trying to enjoy the quiet of dusk. But my GPS claims I finished with a pace of 8:23 on 3.2 miles. I'm not sure how my pace is improving so much without running pace runs, but it just encourages me to keep doing what I'm doing since it seems to be working.

On the flip side of that, I'm at Week 8 in my program. Which means next week will begin the next 4 week stretch, and I'm a little bummed. I've gotten into a rhythm with these exercises and they're about to get jumbled up again. 4 weeks ago I was in the same place. I really was starting to feel like I was moving along with my resistance training. I can't complain about the results, but I'm gonna miss the post workout feeling I've had this week (with the exception of Tuesday's sprints, cuz I felt like I was gonna die :P).

Had to be to work super early this morning. So, I grabbed some coffee in the drive thru rather than waking up the whole house stumbling around the kitchen. But, I managed to ONLY BUY THE COFFEES!!! No other food or drink was purchased. Given my poor track record with the drive thru, I'm calling that a win.

Finally, I think I've got a handle on this soda thing. I met my wife out for lunch yesterday and I order the iced tea (unsweetened) without even thinking about it. The cravings seem to gone. Whew!

• Like 1

So, the first resistance workout with the new exercises is in the books. Not bad, but I was a little out of rhythm with the change up and it took a little longer than usual. But, next time I should be back in the groove, its not that big of a switch.

Today's sprinting went well and the no soda is still going well. In a little over 2 weeks I have 1 blog post, so I guess I better get to it with that one.

Next new workout was leg day. I gotta say it was a bit weird. Not the exercises or the combinations, but while I was doing it I kept thinking, "Hmm, this seems a little light. Next time lets add more poundage to the exercises." Then I headed upstairs for a shower and my legs complained climbing the stairs. It didn't seem like I taxed them enough to get a response like that. And, now even 5 hours later, they're still a little wobbly. I guess the sumo squats and RDL's just hit the muscles from a different angle than they had been hit previously or something. Now I'm debating whether or not to keep the same weight the next time this workout comes around.

Started tracking macros again yesterday with MFP. I keep thinking my carb intake is too high and my fat intake is not high enough. Based on just yesterday, I'm mostly right. I've been doing the exercises and keeping my nutrition goals but after dropping some weight early on with this program the scale has stayed the same for almost 4 weeks now. On the plus side it hasn't gone up, but I'm fairly sure that I'm not swapping fat for lean mass at such an even rate. The mirror doesn't look that much different than the photo I took back in January. I'm really regretting not taking body measurements then so I had something else to gauge my success/failure with. Oh well, at least I've been sticking with something since I'm enjoying it. And, this exercise will help me come up with some nutrition goals for the next challenge.

Well, the new forum format is...interesting. Not sure I'm a big fan, but it might just be that I haven't figured out where my favorite links and pages have been moved to yet.

But, on to more important stuff, like this here challenge! I did some experimenting over the weekend with my diet after being quite alarmed by the sheer number of carbs I seem to be consuming. I didn't think it was that much until I started tracking it. I'm not a freak about macros, nor do I follow a Paleo/Primal diet. However, when I see the macro breakdown at the end of the day that 50-60% of my calories came from carbs, I got a bit alarmed. I do not do enough training to substantiate that high of carb intake. So, this weekend I experimented a little. On Saturday, I essentially ate no carbs (unless you count the carbs in the broccoli I had with lunch) until dinner. I ate what I normally would have for dinner. The macro balances essentially cut my carb intake in half for that day by just concentrating on fats and proteins in the morning. I also woke up hungry on Sunday which was kind of nice. So, I went to run my sprint intervals yesterday first thing in the morning. Not surprisingly, I didn't feel like I had the same top end speed on my first sprints. I guess there was less muscle glycogen available. But, I didn't die either. Meaning, I felt about the same on the last sprint interval as I did on the first. My top speed was much more consistent. Or, it felt that way anyway. I guess I would need a stopwatch to know for sure.

So, I think I've got some stuff to think about for the next challenge and some more tinkering/experimenting to do. One day does not a trend, diet, nor lifestyle make.

Other than that, still grinding my way through this challenge. I'm thinking about either increasing the resistance or decreasing the rest interval between my circuits to increase the intensity sooner than the last week of the 4 week program. Still no soda. Unfortunately, still no blog posts either :(

Yesterday was leg day, today was upper body and tomorrow is sprints to finish up the challenge. I like that I'm getting stronger, but am not a big fan of the scale.

So, I decided it was time to check the BF %. Previous BF% was 23% and it is currently 20.8%. That translates to roughly a lean mass increase of a little more than 4 pounds and a fat loss of around 5 pounds in the last 6 weeks. Hmm, I guess that works. More importantly, I'm going to keep on keeping on come next challenge. I might change up the nutrition goals a bit and experiment with my macro ratios. Up to this point, I've been keeping it much simpler and just cutting out stuff that I know isn't good for me. But, I think it might be time to start changing up the makeup of what I stuff in my pie hole vs just not stuffing bad stuff in there. We'll see how those turn out.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2016 at 0:26 PM, jstanlick said:

Next new workout was leg day. I gotta say it was a bit weird. Not the exercises or the combinations, but while I was doing it I kept thinking, "Hmm, this seems a little light. Next time lets add more poundage to the exercises." Then I headed upstairs for a shower and my legs complained climbing the stairs. It didn't seem like I taxed them enough to get a response like that. And, now even 5 hours later, they're still a little wobbly. I guess the sumo squats and RDL's just hit the muscles from a different angle than they had been hit previously or something. Now I'm debating whether or not to keep the same weight the next time this workout comes around.

That sounds like a fantastic success. I that's kind of the goal of switching up the exercises!

On 3/21/2016 at 10:53 AM, jstanlick said:

Well, the new forum format is...interesting. Not sure I'm a big fan, but it might just be that I haven't figured out where my favorite links and pages have been moved to yet.

Yup...I'm with you there. There seem to be some nice things about it, but I'm not really crazy about putting time into figuring this out.

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016