Bearlee thinks positively

Bearlee

Okay so the last challenge was half success and half failure. But I think I figured out why I failed, so not a total loss. My two diet goals where 1. Don't drink soda, 2. No more than 3 times per week for fast food. The result, all I did was think about the things I shouldn't be doing which kept them in the front of my mind. I basically put a big red Do Not Push button in front of me to look at all the time:

BigRedButton.jpg

So with that knowledge I'm changing my diet goals to something more positive which will keep me thinking about that and thus hopefully think less about negative things.

So goals for this challenge:

1. Drink: Drink 100oz of water before I can drink anything else. After that anything is fair game.

2. Eat: Eat one good protein and two vegetables everyday. Good protein does not include protein bars/shakes, or anything from a fast food restaurant.

3. Exercise: I've got a very good streak of biking I want to continue with (currently up to 51 days) and meditation streak of 42 days. I also want to keep up my walking which is averaging 12k steps a day but want to maintain at least a 11k average.

4. Life Goal: I hunkered down on this last challenge and got a ton of reading done (by my standards at least). Will continue with the 40 pages per day goal and see if I can knock out a couple more books this challenge. May add to this a To-Do-List to this, but I'm running out of time to write more at the moment to form a cohesive goal plan.

• Like 5

Viking Adventurer

Battle Log: Bearlee is ...

I like the changes you made for this challenge. 

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero

Level: 19 Ranger | STR 36 | DEX 29 | STA  35 | CON  43 | WIS 35 | CHA 23|

Spoiler

Epic Quest Avatar Lifting profile | D&D Character Sheet

Accountibillibuddies: Doodlies setting the world alight

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Current Challenge: Shello Finally Fitnesses (sort of) and does some other things

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Starting weight = 290.4; Current weight = 269; Total pounds lost: 21.4

Totally pimping my work here because it is technically fast food but if you do it right you can get your good protein and veggies in one go while out of the house!

Subway: chicken strip or teriyaki salad or the tuna salad. The chicken strips have no preservatives in them, are lean meat and tasty and the tuna is literally just normal canned tuna mixed with mayo. Also: spinach, tomato, cucumber, bell peppers and red onions are healthy as hell and depending on your city they also have avocado available :P

Also I totally feel you on the giant red button thing when you say "I can't eat/drink/do "

Negatively worded goals are hell to hold onto so bravo for the "I will drink/eat/do before I can drink/eat/do "

Great goals!

Thank you.

Looks good. It's a good idea to look at things from the positive perspective.

Thanks, perhaps your talk of trying to have a positive attitude has sunk in subconsciously.

Love your goals! Best of luck!

Thank you, and I may need all the luck I can get.

Love that you took the setbacks from last challenge and used them to your advantage!

The 100 oz of water sounds like a great way to motivate yourself to drink more water while still giving you the ability to drink other stuff. 

Good luck this time around!

I like learning from other people's mistakes more, but when I make them I try my best to try to learn from them.

I like the changes you made for this challenge.

Thank you. There are other changes I've been making also due to you and other Rangers I've been following.

Hi Bearlee!

Positive goals...great idea.

Hey Emma. If I was at my computer I think I would be posting a meme from the Guiness beer guys saying "Brilliant", but it seems so obvious now. Sometimes learning the hard way is good also.

Totally pimping my work here because it is technically fast food but if you do it right you can get your good protein and veggies in one go while out of the house!

Subway: chicken strip or teriyaki salad or the tuna salad. The chicken strips have no preservatives in them, are lean meat and tasty and the tuna is literally just normal canned tuna mixed with mayo. Also: spinach, tomato, cucumber, bell peppers and red onions are healthy as hell and depending on your city they also have avocado available :P

Also I totally feel you on the giant red button thing when you say "I can't eat/drink/do "

Negatively worded goals are hell to hold onto so bravo for the "I will drink/eat/do before I can drink/eat/do "

Thank you for the suggestion. I was going to put in some exceptions like this but I didn't have the time or patience to write down a coherent list. Others I was thinking of adding would be stuff like Chipotle's bowl with double meat or Wendy's grilled chicken wrap. But then I started thinking that I didn't want to use these as a crutch and wanted to focus more on making stuff at home to eat there or at work.

• Like 2

Viking Adventurer

Don't know what's happened tonight but I've got a headache and I'm a total wuss when it comes to those. I can handle stomach aches well and most other ailments, but head aches make me curl up in a ball whimpering. Even though I have a headache I tried to get my walking in work in but looked more like an audition for the Walking Dead so cut it to half of what I normally do with hopes of getting the other half in before I leave. Trying to figure out if it is an illness or detox side effects from cutting down sugar or possibly dehydration despite the fact that I'm getting 100 oz of water in. I've read somewhere that when you start drinking a lot of water that you should add a little table salt to your water to it dosen't rush through you.

Otherwise I've been having a good week. The water goal is working better than I hoped. I've actually been doing the water for a week and a half and it's really cut down my bad liquid calories a lot. Just today I realized that during the last challenge I was having a 24 oz latte nearly every day but don't think I've had a single one since increasing my water intake. Also this week I bought a 20 oz bottle of soda and it took me three days to drink it and on that third day I had to force myself to drink it because darn it I bought and I'm going to drink it. Though I felt really bloated afterwards.

The food goal is working well for me also. Wednesday I didn't actually meet my goal but my mindset has really changed to where I'm thinking about what kind of protein and vegetable do I want to eat and when. Thursday worked well, ate two good proteins, salmon and grass fed ground beef. Also had a bag of steam vegetables and half a box of mixed greens that you can pick up from the grocery store.

Other goals still sailing along nicely. Streaks are continuing and books are getting read.

• Like 2

Viking Adventurer

Forgot to mention that to up my walking this challenge that I've been rucking a lot more. Before I was just doing it when I was walking cub back from school. Now I'm taking my backpack to work and rucking for a half an hour of more there also. So for three of the days this week I've been rucking for 2-2.5 miles. Will be more toward the 2.5+ miles more often when the weather decides to stabilize and I can walk cub to school in the morning also.

• Like 3

Viking Adventurer

Don't know what's happened tonight but I've got a headache and I'm a total wuss when it comes to those. I can handle stomach aches well and most other ailments, but head aches make me curl up in a ball whimpering. Even though I have a headache I tried to get my walking in work in but looked more like an audition for the Walking Dead so cut it to half of what I normally do with hopes of getting the other half in before I leave. Trying to figure out if it is an illness or detox side effects from cutting down sugar or possibly dehydration despite the fact that I'm getting 100 oz of water in. I've read somewhere that when you start drinking a lot of water that you should add a little table salt to your water to it dosen't rush through you.

Otherwise I've been having a good week. The water goal is working better than I hoped. I've actually been doing the water for a week and a half and it's really cut down my bad liquid calories a lot. Just today I realized that during the last challenge I was having a 24 oz latte nearly every day but don't think I've had a single one since increasing my water intake. Also this week I bought a 20 oz bottle of soda and it took me three days to drink it and on that third day I had to force myself to drink it because darn it I bought and I'm going to drink it. Though I felt really bloated afterwards.

The food goal is working well for me also. Wednesday I didn't actually meet my goal but my mindset has really changed to where I'm thinking about what kind of protein and vegetable do I want to eat and when. Thursday worked well, ate two good proteins, salmon and grass fed ground beef. Also had a bag of steam vegetables and half a box of mixed greens that you can pick up from the grocery store.

Other goals still sailing along nicely. Streaks are continuing and books are getting read.

So much win!

Spoiler

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Current Challenge: Shello Finally Fitnesses (sort of) and does some other things

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

If you've been cutting out caffeine (I'm assuming it wasn't a decaf latte), that could also be a reason for the headache.

As a former soda addict, I can attest that it gets easier and easier to not drink it! 

Way to keep moving forward.

Didn't even consider that. Caffeine and sugar, no wonder I wasn't making any progress last challenge.

So much win!

I wouldn't say so much win as sucking less. That sounds too much like a Slothism.

• Like 1

Viking Adventurer

Didn't even consider that. Caffeine and sugar, no wonder I wasn't making any progress last challenge.

I wouldn't say so much win as sucking less. That sounds too much like a Slothism.

I think you are underestimating yourself.  You didn't feel like going for a walk but you did so anyway.  

The water goal has been working well and you had to practically force yourself to drink a soda.

You are meeting your food goal most of the time but even when you don't quite meet your food goal, your mindset has changed to focus on healthy choices

All I see is win. 

• Like 1

Spoiler

Trying to think where to start. Guess I'll pick up from where I left off last. Friday I had a minor set back when I missed my biking time. Broke my streak and ended it at 52 consecutive days. Poor time management was the main culprit, but I think I got a little overwhelmed when I found out on the week of the 14th - 18th that not only will cub not be in school for spring break, but also my bathroom remodeler will also be working on my bathroom that week, and I will have to attend a safety class for work on the 16th during the day. I will have the night of the 15th off so I will be "fresh" for class Wednesday but then I'll have to pick up cub from day care watch him until wife comes home and at best get 2 hours of sleep before I have to go into work that night (though I suspect it will me more like 1 hour). I went to bed early Friday since I messed up my sleep that day. I was going to try to get up at around 11PM to try to get my biking session in but fell back asleep and didn't wake up until 5 minutes to midnight. Thought about getting up and doing ride thinking if I start before midnight it will still continue the streak but I knew that my Fitbit wouldn't register the mileage and I gave up and went back to sleep 2.5k steps short for Friday. Though I did get a much needed 10 hours of sleep.

Saturday after those ten hours of sleep I woke up and was determined to make up for that lost session so I rode 1 hour straight and got in 5k steps equivalent on my Fitbit. Sadly that is all I did that day. By 8AM I had 5k steps in and by the end of the day I had 6.3k steps in. Lazy, lazy Saturday. Lately I've been finding that not only do I have a little voice inside my head saying "Do you really want to do this?", I also have an outside little voice in the form of cub saying "I don't want to go anywhere." "I don't want to do anything." And I think okay that's two to one let's sit on our butt and do nothing but watch TV and play video games.

Sunday, another lazy day with only 2.5k steps in. Didn't have my biking in by late night and was wondering if I even wanted to since the streak was broken. Finally at 10:30PM I hunkered down and got my ride done. Thanks mostly to temptation bundling because I wanted to start a new anime series (also why I rode for one hour on Saturday so I could finish the last of another anime series I was watching). Ended the day at a little over 5k steps. Not great but kinda average for me on a weekend day and minor victory for getting the ride in.

Monday back to routine and back on track. Didn't even have to think about it, wake up, ride bike, pick cub up from school. Same as any other week day. Monday morning at work rucked for 30 minutes, plus rucked kid to school and back, for a total of about an hour of rucking and a little over 2.5 miles.

Other goals, meditation streak is still intact and up to 48 days.

Drinking 100oz of water is working wonderfully. No trips to go get 24oz lattes or 32 oz sodas. Occasional cup of coffee at home. Too often a sweet tea when I order fast food, but don't drink it until I get my water in.

I been completing the food portion almost everyday (Thursday I missed vegetables) but I've been cutting it close nearly everyday. For the last several days right before the day ends I think what kind of protein and veggie can I get in. Monday night I even cheated a little and called a bag of beef jerky my "good" protein for the day. Though I am have the positive effect that I'm thinking a lot more about what kind of food to have around. Saturday I was in a panic about what to have for a veggie when I realized that I had some sweet potatoes that have been laying around for a while and decided to boil those up and mash them. Made perhaps a bit much with three, but wanted to share with cub while I still got my two portions in. So not only did I get my two portions in, turns out the cub loves it, so I'll have to add that to my rotation since it's really not that hard to make. Plus it seems that I like peeling potatoes, something very zen like while I'm doing that.

Monday I went shower door shopping with cub and found a new place to check out near the store. It was a new indoor skydiving place that had just opened up. I was a little nervous going in there because of my weight and concerned about being mocked, but used my 20 seconds of courage to go in. First thing I did when I got in was to ask "Is there any restrictions?". Of course there was a weight limit. Guess how much? 250 lbs! How many times does the universe have to give me a sign before I get it through my head that I should get down to 250 to do the things I want to do. That's about the 6th time in two years that has popped up. The clerk was nice and not at all giving me the look of "What are you doing here?". He told us we could go into the wind tunnel area and watch what was going on. So the cub and I went and watched several people taking turns floating above a fan. At first it was just stabilization drills to see if you could float in place and they were only a few feet from the ground. The second round got exciting though. The instructor would hold the trainees by the back and leg and they would both pirouette into the air about 20 ft or so. I started thinking "Dang that's awesome!". So another item to add to my list of things I can do when I'm 250.

• Like 2

Viking Adventurer

I think you are underestimating yourself.  You didn't feel like going for a walk but you did so anyway.  

The water goal has been working well and you had to practically force yourself to drink a soda.

You are meeting your food goal most of the time but even when you don't quite meet your food goal, your mindset has changed to focus on healthy choices

All I see is win.

Thank you for your positivity. I'm coming around to your way of thinking and accepting my victories for what they are.

Sucking less is a win.  Keep on sucking less is my whole battle plan.

I've learned from the master. Still more to learn, but that has become my life philosophy, you never stop learning.

I thought of you today, after my jog, so I took a walk. Just to make it hard for you. :)

First time in my life I think anybody ever thought of me as a physical challenge. I'm flattered. But we both seem to be back to our "normal" walking ranges and the world feels a bit more stable to me somehow. Though keep your numbers up because I'll strike when you're at your weakest. Though my numbers aren't as high, I'm getting more quality with rucking half or more of my miles.

Viking Adventurer

I've been thinking about doing some rucking this summer I may pick yours and sloth's brain on that, if I convince myself to do it.

Don't beat yourself up over you off 24 hours. You tend to run around with your work dial up to 11. Breaking a streak is a reasonable price to pay to get some much needed rest. Going on 2 hours a night probably harder on you than taking a few extra months to achieve your weight goals. 

you're doing awesome even if you're an overachiever. :)

• Like 2

Barbarian of the Battle Logs

Battle Log

I agree with TML.  It was pretty amazing how you turned that one day back around and didn't let it keep you from starting the streak over.  That 1 day is just a day.  But not making it 2 is what will carry you on. 

• Like 2

Spoiler

I've been thinking about doing some rucking this summer I may pick yours and sloth's brain on that, if I convince myself to do it.

Don't beat yourself up over you off 24 hours. You tend to run around with your work dial up to 11. Breaking a streak is a reasonable price to pay to get some much needed rest. Going on 2 hours a night probably harder on you than taking a few extra months to achieve your weight goals. 

you're doing awesome even if you're an overachiever. :)

Surprised you're not rucking every day. With the amount of commuting you do it would be easy, just put on a backpack and head to work. I remember long ago that you mentioned something about carrying a brief case and didn't like it because it made you feel unbalanced and I thought "He should really get a backpack to stay centered".

The streak break might actually be a good thing. It allowed me to stop obsessing about the streak and think about what I want to do.

Viking Adventurer

I agree with TML.  It was pretty amazing how you turned that one day back around and didn't let it keep you from starting the streak over.  That 1 day is just a day.  But not making it 2 is what will carry you on.

Holy crap, you're doing amazingly well! You have accomplished quite a bit already, and you're not letting and setbacks hold you back from more success. Way to go!

Thank you. NF has really helped me change my mindset from years ago. Before that little set back would have really set me back, but now I whine about it for a day or so then move on. Still room for improvement but getting better.

Nice job getting back on track.  You've already lost 90# right?  You're most of the way to 250#.

I had lost 100lbs right before the BIL incident and after I started to recover from that the holiday blahs hit and I didn't start to recover from that until mid-January. So currently I'm weighing in at 316lbs up nearly 30 pounds from where I was last Labor Day. Still I've lost 72 pounds and just doing some quick math now I realize that I've a little past the halfway point to 250. So I can't be too hard on myself.

• Like 3

Viking Adventurer