If you tell the vet that it is a stray, won't they maybe cut you some slack on the bills? Our old vet used to do that, even with the Hadedas my Jack Russell injured and I took to him. I hope and pray that the work situation resolves itself for you and your P.M. Everything seems to happen at the same time. Sending you hugs and love. :love_heart: ***hugs***

• Like 1

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."

Be the fool, trust that the skein of you your Wyrd is being woven to give you the right opportunities for your life. Then step out and do the things that come to you, to get the best outcome for your life.

Woden uses ravens, I use an iphone.

• Like 2

Where to find me: Current Challenge : Battle Log Facebook : Instagram :

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

That is a pile of crap on your plate right there. Keep on plugging away at the things you *can* work on - deep breaths for the rest. 

• Like 1

Level 87 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 8485 | 86 | 87  ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||
STR: 57 || DEX: 59 || STA: 52 || CON: 47 || WIS: 59 || CHA: 59

I think the Fool is a chaos card, hopefully of the creative kind! The craziness seems to be letting up a bit... A few things are starting to settle, at least.

Kitty's leg is sprained, not broken as I was afraid it might be. He's doing much better.

D is making vehicle progress and it looks like he can fix it better for about a quarter the price - new clutch and all. That will buy some time on having to do something about another car. He's such a sweetie for all the time he is putting into it.

On consultation with PM, I'm cutting my costs and not going to trade show. Activating my nerd network here In Phoenix for both of us, while she does the same with her network at the show in Las Vegas. We did that Startup Weekend project together and we may well end up doing quite a bit more together. She's already got one potential job for us already cooking for April. She's a marketer and strategist; I'm the nerd. And we both like it that way - complementary strengths. Continuing to move ahead on updating up my portfolio. Need to update LinkedIn, GitHub, etc. 

Still lots of uncertainty and stress, but managing to stay centered in the middle of it all. It's an adventure!

Beautiful weather here and getting outside more. Can smell the citrus blooms on the wind when I walk. 

• Like 4

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Glad the kitty is doing better. Those fool cards, especially the first one, make me think of someone who long ago quit caring what others think and started living life for herself. Not unlike a certain Techno-Ranger Sorceress we know...

• Like 2

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

• Like 3

Level 87 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 8485 | 86 | 87  ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||
STR: 57 || DEX: 59 || STA: 52 || CON: 47 || WIS: 59 || CHA: 59

On 3/15/2016 at 10:35 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Glad the kitty is doing better. Those fool cards, especially the first one, make me think of someone who long ago quit caring what others think and started living life for herself. Not unlike a certain Techno-Ranger Sorceress we know...

Kitty is managing to take over the back yard. He's decided we are a reliable source of food and attention... 

Ha! Yes, that seems to be exactly the challenge this challenge! I have to keep my goals in clear view and head towards them, even though it feels like I am dancing on the edge of a cliff. The temptation is to let loose of the dream and just go get a regular job to reduce the stress. Stayin' Foolish!

On 3/17/2016 at 5:45 AM, darkfoxx said:

Those are so awesome! Great link!

• Like 2

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

large.00-fool1.jpg.d16167a5835b6d134ca20

• Like 3

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Glad you're still shuffling along.

Woden uses ravens, I use an iphone.

• Like 1

Where to find me: Current Challenge : Battle Log Facebook : Instagram :

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

This challenge was mainly about just hanging in there.... Keeping on with shuffling. Not what I intended or hoped for, but the reality. I count it a win that i kept at it and each day did at least my bare minimums and often significantly more. 

I am doing a lot of thinking about how to proceed. I need better tracking and a way to gamify now that the old character system and level/points for each challenge has been deprecated. Not sure yet how I want to do that, but will be taking this coming week to figure it out.

Significant positive changes from where things were two - three weeks ago:                                                                                                                                                   

• My car is back on the road. While not entirely trustworthy yet - it has an odd noise that D thinks my be alternator/power steering or an A/C component which I can't remember at the moment - it is running reasonably well and I have a week or two to test it out before I need to decide if it is roadworthy to head to Flagstaff or whether I would be wiser to take a shuttle.
  • Mr. Cat is healthy again and will be getting his trip to the spay/neuter clinic next week. (He needs a name.)
  • My work situation, while still having a lot of ups and downs, appears to promise to provide at least my minimum income requirements for April while working part time, giving me time to finish my planned portfolio pieces (moar Javascript!) and crank out some more commits to GitHub and finish some more tutorials to bump up my Angular and Ruby skill sets.
  • The Code Sisters Cyber Security Mini-Conference is coming along and getting signups. I got smart and delegated more things to others. Still plenty to do before April 16, but it is on track again. Check it out.             

More later...

• Like 4

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Well, things don't work quite the same on here lately. Half a post just got eaten and I don't have time to rewrite all of it right now. Mainly stuff about what I want to change next challenge. I'll come back to that later. I did manage to save what I was writing about one of the odder moments of the last week:

Last Thursday I came home to find a fire truck parked in front of the house, with firefighters stowing their air packs back into the side compartments. My brain was going into overdrive as I pulled into the driveway. No water anywhere and they weren't in turnouts, at least. No ambulance or medical gear out. But there was a cop in black tactical gear and another cop in similar dress, but camo, which is usually what the local bomb squad wears. And there were at least four unmarked police vehicles in the side street that runs alongside of our place.  When no one came over as I drove into the driveway, I eased up a bit. First thing I did was go find D, though. He had quite the story as we went into the back yard to get where we could see the additional cars and police in the side street. 

They'd been out there nearly all day. (There were another 4 cars and half a dozen law enforcement personnel that I couldn't see when I drove up.) D had been working on my car in the back yard when police cars started coming into the cul de sac, evidently having followed a vehicle to the house directly across the way. They arrested a guy and then prepared to make entry into the house - S.W.A.T. style with AR15s, vests, lots of ammo, the works. They also had fire on standby, evidently because they thought it was a drug lab and it might blow up or catch fire. The rest of the day they spent getting search warrants and planning their moves. By the time I got home they were going in with masks and gloves on to load stuff out into a truck. That went on for hours more. 

Sheesh. Our quiet little neighborhood. It's not fancy - it's what I would call working class - but we've never had any trouble, and certainly had no idea there was something like a drug lab across the street.

I'll return later with the other odd thing of the past week and to rewrite the rest of my challenge retrospective and what I want to accomplish next challenge.

• Like 4

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

3 minutes ago, elizevdmerwe said:

Oh wow! Shame! That must have been a huge shock for you! Glad that you were safe and unharmed though.

It was pretty scary coming up the road and seeing the fire truck and all of the emergency personnel right in front of my house. I had all sorts of possible scenarios running through my head as I drove up. It was such a relief to see D okay and realize that everything was alright on our side of the road! 

I'm glad that no one got hurt in the process, too, whether first responders or bystanders or others. Have several neighbors on that street that are home during the day, one with two small children. Not keen on assault rifles being carried around my neighborhood - too much chance of flying bullets. And while I trained for HazMat incidents like drug labs, and dealt with hazardous materials on occasion, I really don't like the idea of such less than 100 feet away from home! 

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

4 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Glad they cleaned it up before anything bad could happen.

Me, too! It's weird how you don't know what can be going on nearby. Thankful for the police finding it out and handling it without incident. 

• Like 2

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

16 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Things are never boring in ShadowLion land...

Every once in a while, I wonder what it would be like to be bored... :pirate:

• Like 3

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Okay, back to the retrospective on this past challenge that got eaten by the Cyber Zombies. 

I wrote about what went well. What didn't go so well was:

1) I didn't live up to my expectations of myself as an ambassador and a friend in the forums. I barely kept up with my own thread and didn't get out to others' threads this time. Likewise, I have been letting other social contacts lapse. If I don't see someone at Gangplank or at tech meetups, I pretty much haven't seen them lately. I'm not happy with that and intend to improve that situation this next challenge. 

2) My house is a mess. More domestic rangering is in order. I'd like to extend that to further minimalism efforts, as well.

3) I am falling into old, bad sleep habits. That needs to stop.

Things I feel I need more of and am ready to do more of at this point:

1) More strength training

2) More Yoga and dynamic stretching

A couple of other odd/interesting things have happened lately:

1) The mom of one of my students was telling me about the tutoring she is getting in Jeet Kune Do and Kali. I told her about my Arnis experience from years ago and how I'd like to have someone to practice with. As a result, I have been invited to come practice with her and her coach, who studied directly with a student of Bruce Lee. Pretty cool.

2) I have been outed as a Rebel. One of the gals in Code Sisters asked me if I was in the book "Level Up Your Life." Surprised me, as the context is so different and I guess I didn't really expect anyone I interact with in coding to necessarily have read the book or make that connection. It has led to some interesting conversations and hopefully to another member of the Rebellion. *cough* Ranger *cough*. :) 

3) It looks like I now have a business partner and a new project! My current project manager, who will be just another contract worker like me come Friday, has agreed to team up on a neat little cooperative project with the AZCWR (Arizona Cyber Warfare Range). We'll be doing several data visualization presentations that will showcase some of their cyber security ops and performance metrics to put on their site and to trot out when, ahem, congressmen and the like come visiting. Yeah. Fun stuff. I will provide links once we have something to show. We just got our domain and I will be getting the site together over the next week or so, too. It is sooooo nerdy. :playful:

• Like 4

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Just now, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Your Famous in Real Life now! That's cool you got recognized. Here's to bringing people into the rebellion so we can bring them into the Ranger Corps.

Felt really funny. Like I had a double life that had just been exposed - ha!

The more, the merrier!

• Like 3

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

6 hours ago, ShadowLion said:

One of the gals in Code Sisters asked me if I was in the book "Level Up Your Life." Surprised me, as the context is so different and I guess I didn't really expect anyone I interact with in coding to necessarily have read the book or make that connection.

Except your real name, there's also a photo of you there. I'm guessing that's what gave you away ;)

• Like 1

Lvl 58 Multitasker

All the little things that didn't go quite as well, will most probably soon be tackled! Even the sleep. I am so chuffed and happy for you with regards to all the other "odd or interesting things"! Seems like, not only have your area been protected, but also your life has been looked after ;) so that you have new doors to walk through. I really need to get my hands on The Book.

:loyal:

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."