Talvi: "All part of the plan I just made up"

Talvi

Talvi: "All part of the plan I just made up"

ParcoursMarathonParis2013.jpg

Hi there, I’m a scout who started running about 2 years ago and I’m currently in the last phase of training for my first marathon.   I’ve had plenty of mixed feelings about the upcoming marathon in the last month or two.  On one hand I’m really pretty excited about the race, the course (Paris) and setting new PRs, but on the other hand I’m worried that I haven’t trained enough and that the long distance training has begun to bore me.  There is only one month of training left before the big race on 3rd April, so I’m going to use this challenge as the last push to get me to that starting line.

Fitness goal:  Get the runs done

I have a schedule of sorts planned out for the next month, which I’ll post below.   I’ll be running at least 3 runs a week peaking with a 20 mile run before tapering the distance down in the last two weeks prior to the big day.   I simply need to keep up with the plan and complete the lucky 13 runs .

Fitness bonus goals:  Support the running

I’ve learnt that running paradoxically makes me stronger and yet more vulnerable at the same time.   To become less fragile, I want to support my running with cross-training, yoga and general self-care.   I will earn points for completing these complementing activities – and because I find it easier to avoid these activities – if I earn enough points at the end of the challenge then I’ll earn a reward..

Points allocated: 0.5 points for feet care, 1 point for Runner’s yoga session or cycling somewhere (instead of metro) and 2 points for a dynamic workout (BBWW, darebee or bouldering session) or an extra run of 5-10km.

Carrots:  8-11 points for Slytherin, 12-14 points for 5 euros to spend on lol or 14-16 points for 10 euros to spend on lol

Life goal:  Get busy

Since the beginning of 2016, I feel like I’ve been stalling.   I have a magnificent list of things I want to achieve this year and I haven’t been working at it at all.  Ultimately, I got into bad habits and my personal drive must have gone on holiday.   I don’t need to anything specific this challenge, but I want to just correct my attitude and get back on top of things.   I have a lot of ongoing projects, including French, Spanish, coding and cocktail making.  I’m going to have a point/reward system here too and I’ll see if it works well.   It is a little vague, but I’ll give points to anything proactive that works towards my epic quests for 2016 or adulating in general.

Examples of points allocated: 1 point for anything I do that sorts out my admin folder, 30 minutes chatting in French or Spanish, 30 minutes working on French or Spanish grammar or 30 minutes coding.

Rewards: 4-7 points for Gryffindor, 8-12 points for a Raspberry Pi/running magazine, 13-16 points for Domino’s pizza and 17+ points for a nice restaurant meal out (perhaps that Mexican down the street….)

love_your_support__nami_jinx_by_sanshiki

By Sanshikisumire on DeviantArt

P.S. I’m very into playing League of Legends at the moment, where I play best with Lux, Caitlyn, Ashe and Jinx, so there may or may not be lol art and memes… just saying

• Like 2

Level 11 Morgana Scout

STR 14|DEX 11|STA 31|CON 11|WIS 23|CHA 19

Current challenge:  Talvi makes tactical decisions | Epic quests: 2015, 2016 | Running instalog: new_tracks_to_follow | Previous challenges: -2 -1 etc...

My Schedule for my "Fitness goal:  Get the runs done"

Week 1 (29th – 6th)

29th February – 16 miles (15.5 miles / 24.9km on mappedometer)

4th March – 3 miles (4.2 miles/6.77km on runkeeper)

3rd March – 6 miles (5.48 miles/8.83km on runkeeper)

6th March – 18 miles (18.07 miles/29.09km on runkeeper)

Week 2 (7th – 13th)

8th March – 4 miles (2.57 miles/4.15km on runkeeper)

10th March – 7 miles  (6.4 miles/10.31km on runkeeper)

12th March – 20 miles (21.74 miles/35km on runkeeper)

Week 3 (14th – 20th)

16th March – 5 miles (5.32 miles/8.56km on runkeeper)

17th March – 9 miles (2.6 miles/4.2km assumed distance with expectations to do another run to make up the missing distance)

19th March – 14 miles (14.5 miles/23.38km on runkeeper)

Week 4 (21st – 27th)

22nd March – 3 miles (2.57 miles/4.15km on runkeeper)

24th March – 6 miles (3.39 miles/5.47km on runkeeper)

26th March – 8 miles (8.74 miles/14.07km on runkeeper)

Marathon week

3rd April – 26.2 miles

• Like 1

Level 11 Morgana Scout

Current challenge:  Talvi makes tactical decisions | Epic quests: 2015, 2016 | Running instalog: new_tracks_to_follow | Previous challenges: -2 -1 etc...

Yay, good to see you back :) Also nice and convenient how the current challenge runs for the entire duration of your marathon preparation! Good luck :)

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

[ STR 36.75 | DEX 26.00 | STA 28.00 | CON 31.25 | WIS 29.25 | CHA 24.50 ]

current 5-week challenge: March 2020

external websites with my resources for...

fitness & breathwork | mental math & mind sports | motivation & productivity

Hooray! A new Talvi challenge!

Your schedule is very precise. Are you really able to schedule your runs that far out and have your life work around it? If so, that is awesome.

Looking forward to following along on your countdown to the big race.

Huzzah!  It does look very precise, but that is just to encourage me not leave all my runs until the weekend.   I can change the dates if I have a good enough reason.  I'm pretty lucky to not have any time commitments apart from my job, so I can be flexible if need be.   I just need to remember not to confuse flexibility with procrastination.

Yay, good to see you back :) Also nice and convenient how the current challenge runs for the entire duration of your marathon preparation! Good luck :)

Thanks!   Pretty convenient... or in other words... frigging scary!   Less than a month until I marathon!  ARGJDHOIFHOSDHNSCJK

Glad you're get close to your marathon. I bet it can be hard to stay focused about now, but you'll get it done.

Best of luck with your challenge!

Cheers Terinatum!   Does your username mean anything btw?

WEEK ONE: Days 1 to 6

Running (3/13 runs completed)

This has been a good week so far!  I didn't fit my long run in last week, so I managed to get in the 25km on Monday evening instead.   It was a little hard mentally to spend my entire evening running, but I broke it up by alternating music vs no music, picking a new route (Chateau de Vincennes, Bastille, Nation, la Seine and back to Nation) and meeting up with a running group for the last 10km.    

On my "no work" Thursday, I did my preplanned 10km in the park and spiced it up by also doing a loop of the parcours sportif (a permanent exercise circuit of about 2.4km with lots of exercise props) - this lead to everlasting ab doms.   I think I should should try to integrate some planks into my routines, because I don't work on my core enough.   

Then finally, on Friday it was showering but I made myself run 6km home anyway.  So yay for self-control!    3 out of 13 runs down!

Support exercises (3.5 points in total)

2 points: The parcours sportif I did on Thursday counts because it was essentially a BBWW on the move that worked on my core, shoulders and arms (also well as stretching out my legs).

0.5 points: Have a foot care session today to care for my nails and blisters.

1 point: Cycled back from work on Saturday with 2 litres of Sangria in my rucksack - could only back it a little way up the last hill before having to walk (the ped crossing after the metro stop)

Proactiveness (1.5 points in total)

0.5 points: Adulting (long overdue but I finally checked on my accounts and moved some money around)

1 points: Adulting (finally sorted through my admin folder and made a list of what needs doing)

Level 11 Morgana Scout

It appears that you are off to a great start! Nice job on running in the rain...it always feels like a double victory to stick with your plans despite uncooperative weather.

Also, hooray for all of the new shots on your instagram! It's fun to catch a glimpse of Paris through your photos.

• Like 1

tinkerer
Level 14 Elven Blacksmith

current challenge - yearlong quest

14 13 12 11 10 9.1 9.0 8 7 6 5 4,2 4.1 4.0 3 2 1

Yes, it does. My ex made a character in one of her novels based on me and this is the name of that character. She was a mystic, I was actually cool. HAHAHA She said I could use it as my online personality. I couldn't say no. She is a wonderful writer, I learned a great many things from her.

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

WEEK ONE: Day 7

Running (4/13 runs completed)

I did it!   I ran in the afternoon to avoid the Paris half-marathon that was today and I managed to run a PR of 29.09km (which was more or less the distance to the Eiffel tower and back, so I have some nice photos for my instagram project).   I feel really good about this run because I had a started out pretty fast (for me at 5:30/km) and then it rose to be pretty consistent at 6:45/km (also note that I stop a lot for traffic so these paces are overestimated slightly).   I've started bringing a fruit bar and putting a sports energy powder in my drink, which is working out great because I had good energy levels for the duration of the run.      Yeah, so happy with pace and energy levels!

Proactiveness (2.5 points in total)

1 point: Spanish (listened to 83 minutes of the fourth Harry Potter book in Spanish whilst on my long run)

• Like 1

Level 11 Morgana Scout

I find it crazy that your training sessions are sometimes over 3 hours long :o That's some impressive dedication! Also at your pace it looks like you'll finish in about 4:30:00, which is significantly faster than the median time for women - including women who already have experience of running marathons.

Also lol that you had to wait for the slackers running **only** 13.1 miles to finish before you had the area free to do your serious run :P

• Like 1

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

I find it crazy that your training sessions are sometimes over 3 hours long :o That's some impressive dedication! Also at your pace it looks like you'll finish in about 4:30:00, which is significantly faster than the median time for women - including women who already have experience of running marathons.

Also lol that you had to wait for the slackers running **only** 13.1 miles to finish before you had the area free to do your serious run :tongue:

I still find it crazy too!   One of my friends freaked out about it yesterday and apparently every 30 minutes, she turned to her boyfriend and said "She is still running you know!" :tongue:

Also don't get me too excited about my pace!   I think 4:30:00 is pretty optimistic though; I'm trying not to aim for a time too much in this first marathon, but I'm expecting anything between 4:30:00 and 5:30:00 - around the median time for women :)

Ha!  Well they were getting in the way!  They tidied up well though.  The only evidence of the race, that I could find, was one sign and an empty energy gel packet.

• Like 1

Level 11 Morgana Scout

Way to go on your first week! From your schedule it looked like that one might actually be the most weekly distance until your race. How are you feeling?

I still find it crazy too!   One of my friends freaked out about it yesterday and apparently every 30 minutes, she turned to her boyfriend and said "She is still running you know!" :tongue:

It sounds as though you have impressed your friend. :)

• Like 1

tinkerer

Way to go on your first week! From your schedule it looked like that one might actually be the most weekly distance until your race. How are you feeling?

It sounds as though you have impressed your friend. :)

Thanks!   I forgot to do my long run the week before, so in this first week I had to catch up.   I'm feeling really good actually!   The last three long runs have had a really quick recovery time with very little DOMS and less and less blisters.   I also feel excited about my runs again, which is nice.  I'll been daydreaming about my 18 miler for the last two days... so you could say I'm satisfied with it :P

WEEK TWO: Days 1-2

Running (5/13 runs completed)

I finished work late yesterday at 19:30, it was dark and miserable, my boyfriend was already home and waiting for me - but I still ran home (4.15km)!    I was close to just taking the metro and chilling all the way home, but I'm glad I didn't.   This is where my precise running schedule and this challenge come in for motivation!  

Proactiveness (2.5 points in total)

Level 11 Morgana Scout

I, too, am impressed by your commitment and ability to keep to a really demanding training schedule  – while working and living a normal life, and all that, too! It also sounds like you are really enjoying it, which is great, and just makes it easier. I think you'll do really well in the marathon. :encouragement:

• Like 1

Level 11 Sea Dragon

| Current Challenge: |

| Nov '16 | Sept/Oct '16 | Aug/Sep '16 | July/Aug '16 | June/July '16 | May '16 |

| Apr '16 | Mar '16 | Feb '16 | Jan '16 | Nov/Dec '15 |

funny-pictures-lol-channel-auto-519613.j

WEEK TWO: Days 3-5

Running (6/13 runs completed)

Ran 10.31km after work today - this is going well - that is all.

Support exercises (4.5 points in total)

1 point: Did some yoga after waking up on Friday - 15 minutes of runner's yoga from the doyouyoga challenge and 2 x 30s planks

Proactiveness (3.5 points in total)

1 point: Adulting (student loan stuff is finally done after much procrastination)

Level 11 Morgana Scout

I finished work late yesterday at 19:30, it was dark and miserable, my boyfriend was already home and waiting for me - but I still ran home (4.15km)!    I was close to just taking the metro and chilling all the way home, but I'm glad I didn't.   This is where my precise running schedule and this challenge come in for motivation! 

I always feel kind of guilty for going running or working out when I could be at home. I'm not sure the feeling is justified as my wife has been very supportive, but it's nonetheless something that occupies my thoughts. Is your boyfriend pretty supportive of you running and taking the time for the long training runs? I'm always curious how the time-management elements of fitness training work in other people's relationships, if you don't mind sharing.

Way to go on the loan stuff! As you've mentioned before, oftentimes the feelings of dread end up being far worse than sorting out the actual issue. Hopefully that was the case on this issue too.

tinkerer

I always feel kind of guilty for going running or working out when I could be at home. I'm not sure the feeling is justified as my wife has been very supportive, but it's nonetheless something that occupies my thoughts. Is your boyfriend pretty supportive of you running and taking the time for the long training runs? I'm always curious how the time-management elements of fitness training work in other people's relationships, if you don't mind sharing.

Way to go on the loan stuff! As you've mentioned before, oftentimes the feelings of dread end up being far worse than sorting out the actual issue. Hopefully that was the case on this issue too.

Thanks! The feelings of dread are definitely worse than the actual issue - and I know it, so why procrastinate?  I make no sense!

Until recently, my boyfriend only got home at 8pm on weekdays and I had done all my little runs (5km/10km from work to home) before he arrived.   It isn't a big problem on weekends either because he is happy that I'm running and he'll just play some online games (DOTA/LOL) until I get back.   The only problem we have is on the actual race day.   He has an injury that has stopped him running, and he doesn't cope very well with seeing a whole horde of able-bodied people running around whilst he sits at the finish line.   I'm hoping this won't be the case for the marathon, because he seems very supportive in training and he's seen the amount of work that has gone into it.

WEEK TWO: Days 6-7

Running (7/13 runs completed)

I've been following Hal Higdon's novice 1 marathon training plan and this week he prescribed the longest distance before the marathon itself - a 20 miler!   Luckily for me, the running group I sometimes join (Let's Run Paris) were doing a 34km on Saturday that impressively happened to be the same distance as a loop of Paris!   That is right - I ran the circumference of Paris :tongue:  Here is the map that I put on my instagram account.   I ended up running exactly 35km in 03:51:35, which is a very very encouraging time.   I felt I could have run on longer at the end of it too, so that is great!    Once I finished, I refueled on a huge amount of food and ended up napping the rest of the day away.   So I don't imagine I'll have much energy to celebrate once I do my marathon :tongue:

Support exercises (4.5 points in total)

Proactiveness (5.5 points in total)

1 point: French (spent 30-45 minutes readying a comic and a short book of prose that I got from the library)

1 point: Spanish (15 minutes speaking with SymphonicDan and I watched S4E2 of Doctor Who in Spanish)

• Like 2

Level 11 Morgana Scout

That's a really nice run for a few reasons - including that many marathon-runners talk about hitting "the wall" at about 20 miles in when their body runs out of energy... but you ran further than that and still felt like you could run more... so clearly you're better-trained to deal with the demands of a marathon than many other runners!

Also, funny how far you have to zoom out of a map of Paris to see the full scale of your run. I've never even cycled 35km in a day before :o

• Like 1

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

WEEK THREE: Day 1

My running is going well (even if I caring for some achilles tendon inflammation at the moment - seems to be clearing up now!), but I'm really a little behind on my two other goals if I want to get one of the rewards I set myself.   I'm going to try and earn more points there this week.

Support exercises (5.5 points in total)

1 point: Had a morning yoga session of 30 minutes.  No video, I just moved through some of the movements I enjoyed from my last yoga challenge.

Proactiveness (6.5 points in total)

1 point: French (Went to the library today and took out the first book of Deathnote and a crime thriller audiobook - already 75% through Deathnote)

Level 11 Morgana Scout

WEEK THREE: Day 1

My running is going well (even if I caring for some achilles tendon inflammation at the moment - seems to be clearing up now!), but I'm really a little behind on my two other goals if I want to get one of the rewards I set myself.   I'm going to try and earn more points there this week.

Oh no! In terms of getting carrots you are working on the wrong goals! ;)

Glad that your running is still going well and congrats on the big run! Keep us posted on the achilles situation.

Until recently, my boyfriend only got home at 8pm on weekdays and I had done all my little runs (5km/10km from work to home) before he arrived.   It isn't a big problem on weekends either because he is happy that I'm running and he'll just play some online games (DOTA/LOL) until I get back.   The only problem we have is on the actual race day.   He has an injury that has stopped him running, and he doesn't cope very well with seeing a whole horde of able-bodied people running around whilst he sits at the finish line.   I'm hoping this won't be the case for the marathon, because he seems very supportive in training and he's seen the amount of work that has gone into it.

Race day sounds like a pretty hard scenario. I can certainly understand how watching that would be hard for him but on the other hand it would be important to you to have him there. It sounds like you two are pretty good at communicating about the subject though so hopefully that will see you to a good conclusion. Thanks for sharing the insight.

• Like 1

tinkerer

That's a really nice run for a few reasons - including that many marathon-runners talk about hitting "the wall" at about 20 miles in when their body runs out of energy... but you ran further than that and still felt like you could run more... so clearly you're better-trained to deal with the demands of a marathon than many other runners!

Also, funny how far you have to zoom out of a map of Paris to see the full scale of your run. I've never even cycled 35km in a day before :o

Thanks!   I've been proudly showing the map to anyone who'll look!  

I have been looking for "the wall" during my long runs, but I haven't found it yet.   To be honest, I'm not sure what to expect or how off-putting it is going to be - its appearance is probably going to depend on my conditions at the time too (how much I've slept, how quick I've ran, how much water and food stuff I've had).  It'll be interesting in any case :tongue:

WEEK THREE: Day 2

Achilles report - Had some frightening inflammation at the insertion of the tendon on Sunday, but after some intensive icing and anti-inflammatories, I seem to have recovered superficially.   No more pain or inflammation, but I'm going to push my next run (5km) to tomorrow just to be sure.   Going to stretch it gently later with some yoga and continue icing it.

Support exercises (7.5 points in total)

2 points: Did three rounds of the NF Beginner Body Weight Workout this morning before work!   Who even am I?!?  I never do anything before work, but I suppose I can't be too proud of a one-off :tongue:   [Notes: 3kg added to my dumbell bar, out of the total 30 push-ups only 11 were full push-ups]

Proactiveness (8.5 points in total)

1 point: French (Finished the first Deathnote book. The French was very simple, but at least I enjoyed myself and I increased my exposure to French.)

1 point: Spanish (Watch Dr Who S1E6 whilst I went through 120 words on my Anki memory app)

Level 11 Morgana Scout

That is so cool that you literally ran around Paris!! Way to go, and you sure seem to be on track for a great race!

And I just gotta say, Dr. Who in spanish sounds deliciously nerdy. :lol:

Thanks!  I'm still buzzing about it.   Not a pretty route, but it certainly sounds impressive.  

I discovered that there are a lot of episodes on youtube... I'm going to have to make a habit of it :)

Oh no! In terms of getting carrots you are working on the wrong goals! ;)

Glad that your running is still going well and congrats on the big run! Keep us posted on the achilles situation.

Race day sounds like a pretty hard scenario. I can certainly understand how watching that would be hard for him but on the other hand it would be important to you to have him there. It sounds like you two are pretty good at communicating about the subject though so hopefully that will see you to a good conclusion. Thanks for sharing the insight.

I'm working on it, I'll get my carrots - you'll see :P

Thanks Tinkerer!

Level 11 Morgana Scout

WEEK THREE: Day 3

Running (8/13 runs completed)

Another productive morning today.  I planned my experiments to run a little later than usual, and so I decided to go for a run in the morning.   I ran about 8km to the Parc des Buttes-Chaumont, which I haven't fully explored.  Quite a colourful run because my route to the park was filled with morning markets, I got to run around a green place for a change and explore a new area.   Updated my instagram too with photos of fish... Clearly Saltydragon has given me pollock envy :P

Support exercises (7.5 points in total)

Proactiveness (8.5 points in total)

• Like 1

Level 11 Morgana Scout