CakeBanisher is Banishing Inaction

CakeBanisher

I’m slightly late to the party, but hey, better late than never! I’ve been sort of MIA in the challenges for a couple months, mostly because I just...haven't done things. There's been a lot of that in my life recently, for no particularly good reason - I'm just not doing stuff. So, it’s high time I get back into it. Because I enjoy these challenges, and they make a positive difference in my life. It’s a win-win :)

Me in a paragraph: I’m in my last year of undergrad, with a double major/double minor (violin performance and psych, human biology and math, if anyone’s curious) and work as a music teacher and math tutor, so I tend to be super busy with school and work. I have lots of physical health issues, largely results of repetitive strain injuries from violin in high school that spiraled waaaaay out of control, and am currently very obese (which also really doesn’t help with chronic pain…). So, my focus is on finding ways to build a healthy lifestyle that will help me lose the weight I need to lose, and deal with chronic pain.

Goal 1: Practice Yoga for 20 minutes 5x a week

Grading: missing a practice lowers the weeks letter grade, final grade is the average

I’ve had this goal before, although for slightly less time. I succeeded and really enjoyed it, so I don’t feel that adding slightly more practice will be an issue. Yoga really helps me with a lot of chronic pain and physical issues, as well as anxiety, so this is something that’s really important for me to do and maintain.

Goal 2: “Ritualize Eatingâ€

Grading: keep notes, and at the end of the challenge, I’ll asses and grade accordingly

Basically, treat it as an important event. Whenever I eat anything, I will do nothing but focus on eating the thing (not also do homework, watch videos, etc.), use actual eating utensils (as opposed to just using my fingers, a paper towel for a plate, etc.), actually sit at a table, that sort of thing. It doesn’t matter if it’s an entire meal or a single bite of something, I will sit and focus on it. I have a tendency to fall into the “I’m too busy to have a meal time, I’ll just eat while also doing x, y, and z†which results in a lot of mindless eating - doing this should help with that :)

Goal 3: Bring healthy food to school

Grading: forgetting to bring food/buying food at school lowers each weeks grade, final grade is the average

I have a bad habit of not bringing food with me to school, then needing to buy something from one of our university cafeterias - which all just basically have donuts and chips. Donuts and chips do not a healthy meal make. So, I will make healthy food to bring to school instead. I even prefer the food I make to school food, I just have to take the time to actually make it.

Life Goal: Write 500 words 5x a week

Grading: missing a day lowers each weeks grade, final grade is the average

I’m writing a book that I got about 2/3 of the way through several years ago, and have written maybe 1,000 words in since because “I’m too busy to write.†But I really miss creative writing in general, I really want to finish this draft so I can start revising (I work better with a full draft in front of me, trying to revise partway through has never really worked for me), and I’m actually not at all too busy…so, I’m going to get back into it :)

Yay goals! :) I'm looking forward to the rest of the challenge!

Side-note: I may be somewhat radio silent at times, due to prioritizing classes over being active here. It's not that I'm not doing things, it's just that I'm focusing on something other than posting about it

One day, your heart will stop beating, and none of your fears will matter.  What will matter is how you lived.

-Henri Junttila

My current challenge

Awesome goals - will be following!

You reminded that I have a half finished (and half published) fan fiction just sitting there from last year, waiting for me to finish it. In my case, my pregnancy got in the way.

• Like 1

Challenge 1 starting weight 8/2/16:  126kgs

Challenge 2 starting weight 29/2/16: 123.3kgs

"When something goes wrong in your life, yell PLOT TWIST, and move on"

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/gothicbeeza

School food is the worst. I keep falling into that trap too. Good luck!

• Like 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Awesome goals - will be following!

You reminded that I have a half finished (and half published) fan fiction just sitting there from last year, waiting for me to finish it. In my case, my pregnancy got in the way.

Thanks!  I feel like pregnancy could definitely get in the way.  I've never actually tried fan fic writing, but maybe I should, it seems like it could be tons of fun :) 

School food is the worst. I keep falling into that trap too. Good luck!

It's such an easy, convenient trap to fall into...especially since the little donut cafes are right in the middle of everything, they're in every building where I have classes.  But we shall prevail! :) 

• Like 1

One day, your heart will stop beating, and none of your fears will matter.  What will matter is how you lived.

-Henri Junttila

My current challenge

Week 1 Update:

Since I started the challenge a few days late, I couldn't technically meet my goals for the number of times I did things per week.  But oh well.

I have done 20 minutes of yoga every day since Wednesday.  I'm experimenting with time of day.  I usually do it right before I go to bed, which I quite like, but I've been trying practicing in the morning, to see how I like that.  I haven't decided if I have a preference yet, although yesterday I did morning and evening and my body hasn't felt that good in a long time.  I will continue experimenting to see what works for me :) I give myself an A

I have not consumed any school food.  That wasn't too difficult since I started the challenge late, and my long days are Monday and Wednesday.  But it still took some planning, so I'm happy with how I'm starting off.  Grade - A

The "ritualized eating" is actually making a pretty big difference thus far.  I'm not sure if "mindful eating" would be a better thing to call it?  Oh well.  Just sitting down and actually eating makes a difference.  I've definitely cut down on the mindless eating, but it doesn't make me hungry or anything.  And I'm remembering why I like certain foods so much - it's interesting how just this little change makes such a big difference!  A couple times I have just grabbed a cookie or two (it's girl scout cookie season, and my father was, shall we say, a very generous supporter) but in general I remember to stop, sit down, and properly eat and enjoy things.  I'm definitely eating less, and enjoying what I eat more, so overall I'd say this goal is also going very well :) Grade - A

Since I started late, I couldn't write 5 days this week.  But I have written every day since the challenge started.  And I wrote significantly over 500 words every day, so I technically wrote the number of words I wanted even though it wasn't as many days (and I deliberately have a daily word count, rather than a weekly, to encourage me to write more frequently).  It's probably better I started this later in the week though, when I had more time, because I had to reacquaint myself with the story and where I'm at, and update places in my outline to sync up with what I've written and how the story has changed, all of which took a significant amount of time.  Enjoyable time, but time I couldn't have spent earlier in the week.  Grade - A

So, overall, I'm happy with how this challenge is going thus far :)  

• Like 1

-Henri Junttila

My current challenge

Goal 2: “Ritualize Eatingâ€

Grading: keep notes, and at the end of the challenge, I’ll asses and grade accordingly

Basically, treat it as an important event. Whenever I eat anything, I will do nothing but focus on eating the thing (not also do homework, watch videos, etc.), use actual eating utensils (as opposed to just using my fingers, a paper towel for a plate, etc.), actually sit at a table, that sort of thing. It doesn’t matter if it’s an entire meal or a single bite of something, I will sit and focus on it. I have a tendency to fall into the “I’m too busy to have a meal time, I’ll just eat while also doing x, y, and z†which results in a lot of mindless eating - doing this should help with that :)

This! This is exactly what I should be doing. I'm stealing this for my next challenge, and following you to see how you do. Good luck with the challenge, and great progress in your (partial) first week!

• Like 1

Wow, your first week was really strong. I hope things keep going well for you. Good luck.

level 12 Hobbit Monk (respawned September 2016)
STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

This! This is exactly what I should be doing. I'm stealing this for my next challenge, and following you to see how you do. Good luck with the challenge, and great progress in your (partial) first week!

Marbres, it's surprising how much of a difference it makes!  Thanks for the support!

Wow, your first week was really strong. I hope things keep going well for you. Good luck.

Thanks!!

Update:

So, this week was interesting.  I did really well until Thursday, at which point I have no idea what happened but it felt like a tendon on the sole of my left foot tore and I could suddenly not walk.  Which in turn turned my usual back-pain up exponentially.  Ugh.  So, I've just been doing sitting poses for yoga, which helps some with my back.  I have no idea what I did, I was just walking and then suddenly couldn't anymore.  It's mostly better now, I've been babying it.  I also had two different parties this weekend - a huge one at my parents, and another with my boyfriends family.  As such, I haven't been at a computer since Friday, so technically didn't write my five days, even though I did get the word count part of my goal.  For the most part, I was good with the ritualized eating goal, although I wasn't so good during the party because I couldn't sit down or ignore what was going on around me.  I'm really liking that goal a lot though, it makes a huge difference for me :) I also didn't eat any school food, and brought good food with me to school, so that goal's an A.  I'd say the other goals are A- this week.  

It feels like I didn't do well this week, but when I actually look at it, it was only a couple days I missed goals on.  And even then, it's not like I epically failed them or anything, they just weren't quite on track with the goals as I'd specified them.  All things considered, I'm still happy with how this challenge is going, and I definitely think I'm heading in the right direction :) 

• Like 1

-Henri Junttila

My current challenge

On 3/17/2016 at 5:52 AM, Marbres said:

Even if you're not getting perfect scores everyday, you're still making a huge change in the long run! I agree that you're heading in the right direction. Keep it up for the next week and a half (which I'm confident you will)!

Thanks!  Yeah, I'm not always getting perfect scores - but I'm definitely moving towards where I want to be, so I'm pretty happy.  Some of the things I'm doing this challenge maybe aren't sustainable, but some I think are and I'm liking the changes that are happening :) 

Didn't post an update this week, I realize.  Everything's going pretty well, all in all.  I've missed a couple days of things here and there, but overall I'm pretty happy with how it's going :)  Grade-wise, I'm in the A range for everything, I'd say - I'll sort out overall grades at the end of this week, along with a better writeup of what I've been doing and how it's been working and whatnot :) 

-Henri Junttila

My current challenge

So, final thoughts! :) 

Overall, I'm pretty happy with how this challenge went.  Some things worked better than others, and some are more likely to stick, but I think I did a pretty good job with everything and, more importantly, was able to get some good insight into what works for me and what doesn't.

Grades:

Yoga - A

Ritual - A

School food - A

Write - A-

So yeah, pretty happy! :)  Yoga's been feeling good, and I really enjoy it.  It's not quite solidified as a habit yet, but it's getting there.  This goal may carry over into the next challenge for me.  Ritualizing eating made a huge difference for me, and it's well on its way to becoming a natural part of my life, which is nice.  It made a much bigger difference than I expected - and it also had the unexpected side effect of giving me a much better idea of foods I like and don't, and why, some of which were kind of surprising.  The school food goal went really well except for one day when I packed my food and left it on the counter...other than that, it was good.  As for writing, I missed a day a couple times (thus the A-), but I wrote a lot more words than I technically needed.  Got a couple more chapters written, which is nice - but I don't feel like this is something that's going to stick.  I haven't written since the challenge technically ended - it's the only goal that's not carrying through.  Maybe this summer, when I have more time, I'll come back to this one?

T;DR is I'm happy with how this went, I learned a lot this challenge, and I'm super excited for the next one! :) 

-Henri Junttila

My current challenge