Bringing the Tiny to Weight Land

RedStone

This is my very first challenge so I hope I'm not messing up how all this goes down!

I think my fitness and life goals have a little overlap in the old Venn diagram here.

1- do a trial week at both of my local gyms, pick one and join! (This is kind of major for me - I've been a home workout-er for over 15 years! Already have my pass for Gold's - starts Monday.)

2- during sed trial weeks, use the weight rooms for the first time, starting with 5X5 workouts. Don't feel small.

3- post form videos on NF for advise. -Need to post another for overhear presses, which means getting help from a stranger in the gym :(

4- post a (dreaded) before photo

5- Eat more starch and research nutrition for strength training. (And try not to be scared about eating more!)

_____

BONUS LIFE CHALLENGES

Make new mailer postcards for my photography studio - send them out!!!

Sew a top for my ball gown skirt to wear to that black tie wedding I have in April. 

• Like 2

The not so funny funny part about that is how we think others will judge us as harshly as we judge ourselves. I don't think anyone here on NF would do that. We all have to start somewhere!

sent from my tiny particle accelerator

• Like 1

Granny Nogg - Level 10 Warrior

Battle Log| Challenge 8 |Challenge 9 | Challenge 10

My Job | My Epic Quest | Instagram

"Those are not my monkeys."

YAAAAAY! You're here! You're HERE!

Welcome to the Warriors!

We all hate our "before" pictures at the time, but they become fond friends when we can use them to show how far we've come. You can see on my face how much I hated even taking my "before" picture, but now I love it.

Hahaha, and here I am hating ALL pictures of me! Let alone a bare body something something. Blerg! But hey, screw it. I'm all in, gonna do it right!

Should have some time this afternoon to do some videos before my circuit this afternoon... 20 seconds of courage! Then two days to analyze and adjust before the big sow on Monday. (And by big show I mean a timid attempt with an empty bar... hopefully the short one if they have it! Ha!) Little beginnings.

YAAAAAY! You're here! You're HERE!

Welcome to the Warriors!

We all hate our "before" pictures at the time, but they become fond friends when we can use them to show how far we've come. You can see on my face how much I hated even taking my "before" picture, but now I love it.

Hahaha, and here I am hating ALL pictures of me! Let alone a bare body something something. Blerg! But hey, screw it. I'm all in, gonna do it right!

Should have some time this afternoon to do some videos before my circuit... 20 seconds of courage! Then two days to analyze and adjust before the big show on Monday. (And by big show I mean a timid attempt with an empty bar... hopefully the short one if they have it! Ha!) Little beginnings.

Crud. Sorry for the double post! Can't seem to figure out how to delete...

The not so funny funny part about that is how we think others will judge us as harshly as we judge ourselves. I don't think anyone here on NF would do that. We all have to start somewhere!

Yeah, one of my biggest issues (which I have probably brought up in other posts), is that I'm kind of a mansplainer magnet. I don't want to go it alone, truly, I'd rather have good reliable help and hopefully make some new friends, but strangers offering unsolicited advise makes me feel very small. (An ongoing issue for me - I'm 4'10" and have been fighting this feeling since puberty!) I get it everywhere -  from the super market to people in the martial arts community who don't know me or my skill level, and feel like I'm always under the spot light to prove myself. Very annoying, and difficult to think I won't get it in a weight room...

But again, screw it. Hopefully I'll be left in peace, but it's nothing new and I have confidence that I can handle myself. No more excuses! 

• Like 1

Yeah, one of my biggest issues (which I have probably brought up in other posts), is that I'm kind of a mansplainer magnet. I don't want to go it alone, truly, I'd rather have good reliable help and hopefully make some new friends, but strangers offering unsolicited advise makes me feel very small. (An ongoing issue for me - I'm 4'10" and have been fighting this feeling since puberty!) I get it everywhere -  from the super market to people in the martial arts community who don't know me or my skill level, and feel like I'm always under the spot light to prove myself. Very annoying, and difficult to think I won't get it in a weight room...

But again, screw it. Hopefully I'll be left in peace, but it's nothing new and I have confidence that I can handle myself. No more excuses!

Sadly, we all get hit by mansplainers. :(

Telling them to f*ck off often works, though, and it can feel good. ;)

• Like 1

Sadly, we all get hit by mansplainers. :(

Telling them to f*ck off often works, though, and it can feel good. ;)

But, but, but, we're just trying to help you poor and helpless females. It's our masculine responsibility. ;-)

Welcome to the warriors Meredith! I promise not mansplain anything unless you ask me to.

• Like 3

Nate the Strong

Warforged Paladin

Level 8 | STR-33 | DEX-11 | STA-18 | CON-14 | WIS-17 | CHA-14

535/365/610:1510

243/243/166/277:685

'He who conquers himself is mightier than he who conquers a city.'
'Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle;'

Crud. Sorry for the double post! Can't seem to figure out how to delete...

On mods can delete posts.  Double posts usually seem to happen when someone else updates a thread while you are typing.

Welcome to the Warriors

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

But, but, but, we're just trying to help you poor and helpless females. It's our masculine responsibility. ;-)

Welcome to the warriors Meredith! I promise not mansplain anything unless you ask me to.

Hahaha, oh, poor poor men. But Thanks!

Someone suggested I try wearing a resting bitch face... but I suffer from a lesser known condition known as resting approachability face. Does anyone workout in a wrestling mask? That sounds like a very appealing excuse to finally get that pink one I have my eye on...

Hahaha, oh, poor poor men. But Thanks!

Someone suggested I try wearing a resting bitch face... but I suffer from a lesser known condition known as resting approachability face. Does anyone workout in a wrestling mask? That sounds like a very appealing excuse to finally get that pink one I have my eye on...

I think I have that too. :(

Usually it's a blessing, sometimes it's a curse. :)

I think I have that too. :(

Usually it's a blessing, sometimes it's a curse. :)

I'm just saying...

post-49322-0-68675200-1457111965_thumb.j

Yeah the approachable face thing!  It feels like you can't look at a man/say hello/smile or he thinks it's okay to monopolize your time or fix your life or hit on you.  GRRR.   

EXACTLY! I like being nice! I am nice! But come on man. Who the fuck do you think you are.

• Like 1

The only tactic I've seen work every time is where a co-worker of mine pretended to be deaf. She trotted out the ASL in the LA fitness free weight area and she had her bench to herself from then on.

Brilliant. I love it!

Granny Nogg - Level 10 Warrior

Battle Log| Challenge 8 |Challenge 9 | Challenge 10

My Job | My Epic Quest | Instagram

"Those are not my monkeys."

Alright! Today's the big day and I almost talked myself out of it. Here's the update:

My Gold's trial week starts today, and I had slated a Monday/Wednesday/Friday routine that coincided with physical therapy. 

Then I got called in for a last minute shoot this afternoon. It's a short portrait session (corporate head shot type stuff), but I had to cancel physical therapy to make that happen. I was thinking I could maybe do the gym in the morning, but frankly, I'm not much of a morning person and also had to get this week's podcast edited and posted. (Just about done with that.)

So now I'm thinking I'll do the shoot at 1, be done no later than 3 (and frankly, even that seems long), and then there's plenty of time to hit the gym and be back in time to pick Adam up from the train.

Why am I telling you this you may ask? Only because there's still time for me to back out! Going to a gym like this... I need my 20 seconds of courage. And it doesn't help that I've got day two lady biz pains. Bleh...

So, Day 1 5X5 with light body weight circuit warm ups:

Squats

Bench Press

Barbell Rows

I've never done bench presses before, and haven't been able to practice without a bench... I hope that will workout okay. I'll do my best! I've been working on the bar position with the squats and think I'm in better shape. Also starting with the squat straight aways with one dynamic motion. I think I'm getting there! Will post progress.

• Like 2

HEY! NO BACKING OUT!!!! Lol

You got this! Don't worry if it's not perfect! It's about going. find that 20 sec... Watch a motivational YouTube vid or listen to an inspirational speech! I got a suggestion for one: "How bad do you want it (success)" on YouTube by Matthew Howell. That should do it ;)

Don't think about what may go wrong. It'll all work out eventually. Just go. Get it done. You'll feel better afterwards.

CRUSH IT MER!!!!

• Like 2

HEY! NO BACKING OUT!!!! Lol

SIGH! Okay okay,  I'm going.... oh wait no, I just got back!

SHMOWSOW!!

It was super crowded, I think because of the time of day that I went, and I felt a little weird trying to make my way through. I got some help with the squat rack, but they had all these short lighter bars I didn't need the rack for, so I started there and did everything on the main floor and just used a plain bench without the bench press thing.

I think it worked out okay for today, but I don't think I can do heavier presses without it going forward. It was also kind of... easy, so I'm thinking that means not enough weight. (I used the 20 lb. bar.) So I guess I'll do 30 on Wednesday and then 40 on Friday. Is that correct?

It also seemed to go really fast with the 5X5. I feel like I could have done more, probably a lack of weight as well, no?

Also, it was pretty awesome to see that there were quite a few ladies! Definitely not 50%... but maybe 20 - 30%! Very cool.

• Like 2

At a girl! Congrats! Glad you went through with it! If it was easy I'd incrimentally add more till you find the sweet spot. Awesome job tho :)

Thanks! I'm glad too. And as I was walking out I really enjoyed the wobbles, it was different from what I'm used to, even from full body circuits. 

It's gorgeous out today, so I'll definitely get out for a long walk (I live on a steep mountain, so even a short walk = hike), and tomorrow is day 2 of 5X5, so that's more squats (I'll do 30lb), shoulder presses and deadlifts. I'll try to do 30 for all, but I think I may be able to do 40 for the deadlifts. I will report back!

Meanwhile, for the other points on my challenge, I'm still having trouble with the carb issue. My weight loss plateaued at 110 for about a month, picked up again when I started my circuits again, and has kind of halted at 107/108 in conjunction with upping the starches. My goal is the 100 range, and possibly a bit lower, but I'm guessing that will change with the strength program? So long as I'm seeing results, I don't care about the numbers, but I do want to trim out! Bleh. Nutrition is hard! :P

• Like 2