Low calorie protein powder or protein heavy seeds?

I have green smoothies for breakfast almost every morning...some fresh fruit, spinach and water. I've done different seeds and stuff in them...chia, hemp, etc...but I would love to find a protein powder of some sort to add some more solid protein to my diet, but all of them are so high calorie!

Any suggestions? Major bonus points if it's a vegan source...(i.e. not from dairy/whey, eggs, etc...)

Taking protein powder isn't going to magically make you look like a member of the East German Weightlifting team. You simply don't have the testosterone. Heck, most guys can't look like that unless they are willing to train for hours a day on top of whatever supplements they are taking.

I know it's not magically going to do anything...I could just use more protein in my diet in general, and would prefer it from a natural, vegan source. I try to stay away from soy as it's pretty much all genetically engineered. :(

ObsessionKilled- try the natural foods sections or natural health food stores, rather than the GNC type things. There are definitely simple, natural, vegan protein supplements, usually based in soy and hemp and such. They just tend to be like 100-200 calories, which I can't afford to throw around.

I have yet to buy a protein powder to add to shakes and such. I feel it very overwhelming in the Store when I look at the shelf. Especially being a female i find all I see are "add bulk" or that sort of stuff.

Would love to find a good basic protein powder that is good for ladies :)

i'm a girl. i drink these things daily. i've tried a TON of them. none have added bulk, including the ones that say 'add bulk' on the labels :)

there's really no reason for us to use a different protein than the boys do.

my personal favorites?

this:

http://www.optimumnutrition.com/products/100-whey-gold-standard-p-201.html?zenid=fd323b330c1fed73ad2e6508eacfcaa8

120 calories, 24g protein.

and these:

http://eas.com/product/advantedge-carb-control-ready-to-drink

because i can get them just about anywhere, and they're pre-mixed and easy.

There are definitely simple, natural, vegan protein supplements, usually based in soy and hemp and such. They just tend to be like 100-200 calories, which I can't afford to throw around.

how much protein are you looking to add?

protein has 4 calories per gram. therefore, the MINIMUM calorie intake for a 25g protein powder would be 100 calories. and that's without any flavorings and whatnot.

Please don't look at macro nutrients as just "calories".

Protein has a high thermogenic and satiety effect, personally I don't consider a calorie from protein a calorie at all.

I don't know if you've ever looked at the "limitless" calorie aitkens diet.

A long term study showed that people actually ended up eating less because they quite simply just weren't hungry from all the protein they had consumed.

Just something to keep in mind.