QengpuBenal Receives A Mysterious Email

QengpuBenal

Superheroes are made. Some are made in a moment (Spiderman, Hulk), while others are forged over years of trauma (Black Widow, Batman). The one thing they all have in common is the trauma, whether instantaneous or progressive, that pushed them into the heroic life they now inhabit. Unfortunately, superheroes have become all to rare in the real world lately. One man, Dr. J.C. Doerflinger, decided to change that.

Dr. D. (as his colleagues called him) began a program to recruit ordinary people and turn them into the superheroes the world so badly needs. This is the story of one of those recruits...

QengpuBenal (Q to her friends) was hard at work writing reports  when her email chimed. She opened the email which informed her that she had been hand selected to participate in a special program. The spiel made it sound interesting, and Q had been looking for a good weight loss program for a while. So, she clicked the link and signed up. Seconds later, another email dropped in with a long questionnaire that she made quick work of. Q then went back to work and pushed the e-mails to the back of her mind. 

Meanwhile, Dr. D was working hard to gather as much information on Q as he could. By midnight, he felt prepared to begin her training. Carefully, he crafted a program that would ease her into the transformative process so slowly that she wouldn't even realize what was happening until it was all over. Q was not Dr. D's first recruit. She was, in fact, his 720th (Dr. D was a bit of a slow learner). He had pushed the previous 719 recruits too fast, and all had washed out or burned out before completing the training.

The next morning, Q found an email waiting with her new training program:

1) Write down everything you eat. Give rough portion sizes, but don't worry about being exact, and don't worry about nutritional content information.

2) Drink 9 cups (8-oz each) of water every day. Use the phone app Aqualert for tracking and reminders throughout the day.

3) Move every day. The type of movement is your choice (walk, run, yoga, etc...), but you must engage in movement for at least 20 continuous minutes every day.

4) Meditate for one minute twice a day. Use the One-Moment Meditation app on your phone.

5) Write for at least 10 minutes every day. That brilliant novel idea will remain an idea unless you sit down and get it onto paper.

6) Go to https://academy.nerdfitness.com/and log-in with the information (coming in a separate e-mail) provided to you. Read one section or work on one quest each day. Remember to take things slowly and limit yourself to one a day.

The email told her to check in with her results each day. Q re-read the things she was to do and decided that it looked easy enough. Nodding to herself, she downloaded the recommended apps and set about the rest of her day.

QengpuBenal, level 4 High Elf Ranger STR5| DEX 2| STA13| CON 6| WIS 19| CHA 6

Battle Log

"I want to live in a world where normal is an insult." - Misha Collins

Q lay in bed, her back throbbing with pain. At her wife's suggestion, she pulled herself out of bed and stumbled into the kitchen to take her muscle relaxant and anti-inflammatory meds. As she passed her computer, she realized that she had not yet completed her nightly check-in.

Sitting down, she pulled up her e-mail and clicked the check-in link. She was taken to a secure webpage where she was instructed to fill in her goal information. 

Q wrote quickly, shivering in the cold house:

1) 2 bowls of Cocoa Puffs with whole milk for breakfast. 2 bowls of Cocoa Puffs, 1 carrot, and 1 vanilla yogurt for lunch. Went to Old Country Buffet for dinner. Ate 2 slices ham, 1 slice roast beef, 1.5 cups mashed potatoes, 1.5 cups cooked baby carrots, 2 cups cooked broccoli, 2 small cups Diet Coke, 1/2 cup cappucino, 1 small square of strawberry cheesecake.

2) Drank 9 cups of water.

3) Walked around the mall after dinner for 30 minutes.

4) Meditated twice a day.

5) Wrote for 10 minutes.

6) Read the Introduction page on the website.

Hitting the send button, Q shut her computer down and headed back to bed.

Dr. D. opened the message his system had sent him and read Q's check-in information. He nodded to himself. She was doing a good job, and following the spirit of each goal. She was a good candidate.

Battle Log

Q looked around her room, frustrated that she hadn't managed to finish either the house cleaning or the laundry she had wanted to do that day. Still, she had managed to meet the goals of her new program, and that helped boost her spirits. Flipping on her computer, she pulled up her e-mail and banged out her check-in message.

1) 1 cup vanilla yogurt and 1 small banana for breakfast; lunch at IHOP (my parents took me out today) - 2 pcs bacon, 2 sausage links, 2 eggs scrambled with cheese, 1 slice ham, 1 cup hash browns, 2 pancakes with butter and syrup; dinner was haystacks (tortilla chips, ground beef, beans, rice, sour cream, cheese, olives, tomato, and lime juice; 1 king size Symphony chocolate/toffee bar

2) Drank 9 cups of water.

3) Walked for 2 miles this morning.

4) Meditated twice a day.

5) Wrote for 10 minutes.

6) Read the About the Staff page on the website.

Q sent the e-mail off, and began getting ready for bed.

Battle Log

Q plopped down at her computer. It had been so tempting to just head to bed without sending her daily e-mail, but she forced herself to quickly type out out.

1) yogurt and a banana for breakfast; 1 1/2 soft pretzels with cheese sauce, peanut M&M's, sour cream & onion Pop chips (small bag), mini chocolate chip cookies (small bag) for lunch; half a chicken breast cooked in mushroom soup, 1 cup green beans, 1 baked potato with cheese, butter, and sour cream, 1 theatre sized box of Milk Duds, half a theatre sized box of Gobstoppers.

2) Drank 6 cups of water.

3) No movement today.

4) Meditated once today.

5) No writing today.

6) No website today.

"Sorry today sucked," Q wrote at the bottom of the e-mail and sent it off.

Battle Log

The next morning, Q woke up and checked her e-mail while getting ready for work. She saw that whoever was in charge of this program she had agreed to participate in had sent her another e-mail. Sighing, she clicked on what she knew was going to be a message kicking her out of the program.

Q-

Congratulations on passing your first hurdle. Everyone reports in when they have a good day, but it takes a truly dedicated person to check in when they have a bad day. The program does not expect perfection. 

Your next step is simply to analyze what happened yesterday. Please respond to this message with your analysis of what occurred yesterday that may have contributed to your not meeting all the goals? Please include everything, from events to your own mindset. We cannot address the behaviors if we do not understand the antecedents.

Q stared at her computer screen for several minutes, thinking about everything that had happened the day before. Finally, she began to type out her response:

Yesterday was my first day on the program where I also had to go in to work. Due to my wife's doctor's appointments, I had to go to work early. That meant no time for movement in the morning.

The work day did not go as smoothly as I had planned, which threw off my intentions to meditate at work twice. I was also very rushed, and did not remember to drink my water. The app does not make a sound when my phone is muted, and I have to mute it frequently at work.

Finally, I generally felt blah and out of energy yesterday. I think this is due mainly to poor sleep. The poor sleep is partly due to sleep apnea, and largely due to my current back pain. I can't take my meds before going to bed because then when I wake up I'm still very out of it for several hours.

The not feeling good, plus feeling stressed, resulted in my overeating in the junk food department.

Q sent the e-mail and finished getting ready for work. As she was about to head out of the door, she heard the ding of an incoming message. Opening it, she read:

Q-

Excellent analysis. Remember, today is a new day and a fresh start. Please include one more action item with your goals today. Set up an appointment with a chiropractor. Until your back is feeling better, you will find this program to be more difficult than it truly is. Continue working on the daily goals, but make seeing a chiropractor a priority.

Q made a note on her to-do list to call for a chiropractor appointment and headed off to work.

Battle Log