• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

mightstone2k

Moving to Japan

Depends on what you want to do when you get here!  What are you thinking?

Heh. The question was for a friend who was (but is no longer) considering it. I have it pretty easy. I'm coming over for the military, so I know what I need to do (not much).

Because you said "here," I'm guessing you live in Japan, yes?

Heh. The question was for a friend who was (but is no longer) considering it. I have it pretty easy. I'm coming over for the military, so I know what I need to do (not much).

Because you said "here," I'm guessing you live in Japan, yes?

Indeed!  I have been here for about 2.5 years.  When are you arriving?

On 4/19/2016 at 3:54 PM, mightstone2k said:

The Fussa/Akishima area. I hear it's about 45 km from Tokyo, and that's my only frame of reference.

What brought you to Japan?

Ahhh yeah, quite a ways away.  I've always wanted to live here at least for a little bit, and currently I am teaching English as a Foreign Language at a local high school on the JET Programme. 

You make it and get settled in OK?

Ahhh yeah, quite a ways away.  I've always wanted to live here at least for a little bit, and currently I am teaching English as a Foreign Language at a local high school on the JET Programme. 

You make it and get settled in OK?

I did, thanks for asking. I have a nice little townhouse near the train station. Easy access to Tokyo. How is Hiroshima? One of my coworkers went out there, and he had nothing but good things to say.

11 hours ago, mightstone2k said:

I did, thanks for asking. I have a nice little townhouse near the train station. Easy access to Tokyo. How is Hiroshima? One of my coworkers went out there, and he had nothing but good things to say.

Honestly?  Hiroshima is one of the most amazing places I've ever had the opportunity to visit or live in.  But I also live in the city center with super easy access to everything and right next to the Peace Park, so I may be a little spoiled ;)  Let me know if you ever want to come out for a visit, I love showing off the city!

Honestly?  Hiroshima is one of the most amazing places I've ever had the opportunity to visit or live in.  But I also live in the city center with super easy access to everything and right next to the Peace Park, so I may be a little spoiled   Let me know if you ever want to come out for a visit, I love showing off the city!

Will do! Thanks!

Hey, Ya'll!  

Sorry for my belated reply...been a bit too busy to be online much as of late...

We (hubby & I) have lived here in Japan since 2010 with the Navy...first stationed in Yokosuka (lived in Negishi in Yokohama) and now we're at NAF Atsugi in Ayase-shi.

How long will ya'll be here?

On 5/11/2016 at 7:39 PM, Bast said:

Hey, Ya'll!  

Sorry for my belated reply...been a bit too busy to be online much as of late...

We (hubby & I) have lived here in Japan since 2010 with the Navy...first stationed in Yokosuka (lived in Negishi in Yokohama) and now we're at NAF Atsugi in Ayase-shi.

How long will ya'll be here?

Holy cow!  More Japanese rebels!  I really need to start legitimately following this topic instead of relying on folks to quote me.  And... done!  How did you get lucky enough to stay in Japan for 6 years?  Anyway, I'll be here for two, unless my tour somehow becomes accompanied.  So we'll go with two.

For either of you, I'm looking for a place to do a good day hike over Memorial Day weekend, plus have a city to run around in for another full day..  Preferably one that doesn't require much by way of planning, and isn't too expensive.  I've heard good things about Kyoto from some of my coworkers.  Do either of you know of good hiking around Kyoto?  Or generally?

• Like 1

Unavoidably got COT...the Navy, in it's infinite wisdom, decided it would be better to keep us here than move us elsewhere...  Currently, we're due to PCS in the Spring...we're up for orders right now, but no idea where we'll end up just yet...

Not sure about Kyoto, but basically, anywhere you go in Japan, there's always a bit of "hiking"!  LOL!!  You could make a day of wandering around a section of Tokyo...Asakusa is good, Akihabara is great if you're into electronics, anime and gaming...  Or go South to Kamakura...lots of great shrines and gardens...  Definitely do Fuji...but you can't until late June through late August...We did it from the very bottom...took us about 2 days, but definitely worth the experience!!  You can check with your MWR office about any hiking tours they do (built in buddies and transportation), and about info on local hiking venues...the Recreation Dept or Gym or Support Center (not sure of what the AF calls them) may have info as well.  You could also Google "Hiking in Japan" for some ideas...Here's a site with some good locations...https://www.lonelyplanet.com/japan/travel-tips-and-articles/76878 ...  and don't rule out the various "walking tours" of major areas...check out your base resources as well as online...  Today, we did some strawberry picking, we are planning a beach combing outing near Yokosuka Navy Base next weekend, and going on a JATA (Japanese American Tomodatchi Association of Atsugi) outing on the 28th to do some Green Tea picking...  You can also check Yakota AFB's resources to see if there are any activity or cultural clubs that do fun things in the area (for us, we have JATA).

Good luck and have fun!!

I also am not too familiar with the Kyoto area having only visited once for a day, but as Bast said, you'll find nice hiking pretty much anywhere in the country.  Honest, what I do is just follow stairs where you see them out and about...they're usually bound to take you somewhere interesting. 

One of my goals is to hike Fuji before I leave...so I have this year and next year and that's it.  It needs to get done, but at the moment I don't have anyone to hike it with.  Let me know if you'd like a hiking buddy for it and I would seriously consider making the trek up to Tokyo this summer to do it.

• Like 1

Well, I think I'm going to do Kyoto and figure out a hike between now and then. Or ask at my hostel. It's easy, almost no logistics planning involved. Just go get lost in the city for a weekend. No adulting necessary. I am so very tired of adulting right now.

Unavoidably got COT...the Navy, in it's infinite wisdom, decided it would be better to keep us here than move us elsewhere...  Currently, we're due to PCS in the Spring...we're up for orders right now, but no idea where we'll end up just yet...

Not sure about Kyoto, but basically, anywhere you go in Japan, there's always a bit of "hiking"!  LOL!!  You could make a day of wandering around a section of Tokyo...Asakusa is good, Akihabara is great if you're into electronics, anime and gaming...  Or go South to Kamakura...lots of great shrines and gardens...  Definitely do Fuji...but you can't until late June through late August...We did it from the very bottom...took us about 2 days, but definitely worth the experience!!  You can check with your MWR office about any hiking tours they do (built in buddies and transportation), and about info on local hiking venues...the Recreation Dept or Gym or Support Center (not sure of what the AF calls them) may have info as well.  You could also Google "Hiking in Japan" for some ideas...Here's a site with some good locations...https://www.lonelyplanet.com/japan/travel-tips-and-articles/76878 ...  and don't rule out the various "walking tours" of major areas...check out your base resources as well as online...  Today, we did some strawberry picking, we are planning a beach combing outing near Yokosuka Navy Base next weekend, and going on a JATA (Japanese American Tomodatchi Association of Atsugi) outing on the 28th to do some Green Tea picking...  You can also check Yakota AFB's resources to see if there are any activity or cultural clubs that do fun things in the area (for us, we have JATA).

Good luck and have fun!!

Thanks for the tips! I've hit up Tokyo a couple times already. Mostly Yoyogi-koen, Meiji-jingu, and the Imperial Palace gardens. Did wander around Harajuku for a bit and go to a really awesome bistro in Shibuya too.

The Information, Tickets, and Travel office (our travel agent) is really worth it? I hate having someone else make a plan for me, which is why I haven't really looked into it yet.

I also am not too familiar with the Kyoto area having only visited once for a day, but as Bast said, you'll find nice hiking pretty much anywhere in the country.  Honest, what I do is just follow stairs where you see them out and about...they're usually bound to take you somewhere interesting. 

One of my goals is to hike Fuji before I leave...so I have this year and next year and that's it.  It needs to get done, but at the moment I don't have anyone to hike it with.  Let me know if you'd like a hiking buddy for it and I would seriously consider making the trek up to Tokyo this summer to do it.

This thing, it should be made to happen. Absolutely.

14 hours ago, mightstone2k said:

The Information, Tickets, and Travel office (our travel agent) is really worth it? I hate having someone else make a plan for me, which is why I haven't really looked into it yet.

Worst case scenario, you can hit them up for the info then DIY it...Hubby and I have gone on a few that were pretty far out...that way we could rest on the way, and rest on the way back and not have to worry about getting there and back...some we even took our own notes and then did it again later on our own schedule...

23 hours ago, Zahirah said:

Climbing Fuji is awesome.  Even cooler if you're brave enough to start during the night and make it up top for the sunrise.  It's a definite bucket list item.

On that note - if you're hiking Fuji - beware the traffic jams near the top, and also beware the way the temperature tends to drop and the wind picks up in the last few hundred feet!  The first time I climbed Fuji, the conditions probably went from 55-60 degrees (F) with a light breeze, to 40 degrees with a 40 mph at the summit.  Did I mention I was wearing nothing but a long-sleeved T-shirt and jeans?  And that I spent 2-3 hours waiting for the rest of my group to arrive after that?  I may have spent 1000 yen each on multiple bowls of ramen in a semi-effective attempt to ward off impending hypothermia.

More relevant to the topic at hand - I spent about a year and a half living in Shizuoka prefecture(2010-2011) - so if anyone is in that neck of the woods I may be able to throw out a few ideas.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mightstone2k said:

This thing, it should be made to happen. Absolutely.

I know a number of people who have made the trek and my Japanese is good enough to figure planning shit out ...possibly with some help... but I have the resources. I would love to do the sunrise hike as Zorch mentioned.

I've been meaning to stop by a few places in Tokyo as well, the Ghibli museum being a bucket list item.

• Like 1

Good call, Bast. Now I'm definitely going to have to hit them up.

Zorch, what's in Shizuoka? And thanks for the tip on the temperature drop. Were the rest stops open along the way during the overnight hike? I want to get the hiking stick branded with each stop's symbol; that's my big "Japan memento" I want to take with me. Of course, if they're not, I might have to do it twice. Horror of horrors

Zahirah, maybe we should make a few days of it. I want to see the Ghibli museum too, and that would be a convenient time to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, mightstone2k said:

Good call, Bast. Now I'm definitely going to have to hit them up.

Zorch, what's in Shizuoka? And thanks for the tip on the temperature drop. Were the rest stops open along the way during the overnight hike? I want to get the hiking stick branded with each stop's symbol; that's my big "Japan memento" I want to take with me. Of course, if they're not, I might have to do it twice. Horror of horrors emoji39.png

Zahirah, maybe we should make a few days of it. I want to see the Ghibli museum too, and that would be a convenient time to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shizuoka is where Fuji is located!  Shizuoka City is actually a really nice little city, would totes visit again if I had the time.

August is the best time for me, the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th weekends.  Do you have Line?  It's probably easier to communicate than here :D