Hello, lurker seeking help here :).

I'm a old school PC guy. My first pc was my AtarI 1200xl and I love being a geek.

But...

I need help.

I want to get back in the gym and push some weights and work on some cardio. But I'm either always at zero energy or no motivation. I've tried energy drinks, pre trainers, powders, and you name it. I'm debating trying hypnosis at this point.

I feel like I'm stuck in a game intro not being able to pass the tutorial. So Im posting on this forum.

Make sure to look at your diet and double check you're getting enough good food in your diet I.e. Fruits, veggies, lean protein. More processed food can leave us feeling sluggish and unmotivated. Also try not to get into the habit of energy drinks or supplements until you have a good handle on the diet as those things have the tendency to over work your adrenal glands which in turn leaned you feeling less emergized when not using them.

Second, look at your goals and expectations of what your trying to achieve in the gym. Sometimes we get huge goals and set our selves up for failure if we don't live up to the expectations. Make sure your goals are small measurable steps that add up to a larger more substantial goal. That way every day doesn't feel as daunting as it may have before.

I also agree with the idea of finding an activity that really excited you! Anything that gets your moving and feeling good can be a great place to start!

Just a few thoughts. I hope it helps and you get that drive again! Keep pushing!

I want to get back in the gym and push some weights and work on some cardio. But I'm either always at zero energy or no motivation. I've tried energy drinks, pre trainers, powders, and you name it. I'm debating trying hypnosis at this point.

I feel like I'm stuck in a game intro not being able to pass the tutorial. So Im posting on this forum.

Okay, instead of throwing random supplements and such at the wall and hoping something sticks, let's try some actual troubleshooting.  Below, I'm going to throw a bunch of questions at you.  They'll actually take time to answer.  But, they'll give enough data to tell us roughly where the problem area(s) is/are, and suggest next steps (whether those are corrective steps or the next steps in investigating).

1. What is your diet like?  Don't generally characterize it, track your eating for at least one week, if not two, and report back.  List everything you put in your mouth, with amounts.  Everything.
  2. What is your usually weekly activity like?  If you have an activity tracker and workout log, great, but it sounds like you're not up to that yet.  Just give a general idea...totally sedentary, mostly sedentary but you take walks and do chores around the house, something else?
  3. Do you currently take any medications?
  4. Do you have any known health conditions?
  5. What is your current body fat %age?  If you don't know, give a guesstimate.  Check out http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/07/02/body-fat-percentage/for more info.
  6. What are your sleep habits like?
  7. What else is going on in your life?  Often stress, self-image, and other factors can impact energy, sleep, motivation, and so on.
  8. Is what you are experiencing with regard to starting a workout program typical of what happens when you approach other new things, or is it different?  What is your norm?
  • Like 1

"What's the goal here?  What's the lesson here?  What's the best use of my time right now?" <-- Rory Miller's "three sacred questions"

"Lacking in humility?  Don't worry, the bar will give you some." <-- Me.

HedgeMage, Orc Ranger

Battle Log | IRL Info