• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hello to everyone out there who wants to get stuff done!!

This group is for those of us who suffer from procrastination, "the action of delaying or postponing something". Or, more specifically "the act of ruining your own life for no apparent reason". I thought it would be a good idea to get together with other serial-procrastinators and tackle this bad habit together.

I also thought it would be an awesome idea to use this brilliant article on waitbutwhy.com to create a point based game to beat the instant gratification monkeys, help our rational decision makers get out of the dark playground through the dark woods and help both of them enjoy themselves on happy playground territory (or the rainbow of flow, if we get lucky) together. If that sentences didn't make any sense to you, go read the article (including part 2). Do it now. Don't wait until later. (Unless you're procrastinating from some other thing you should be doing right now, then do that thing first and read the article right after that.)

So, now that we're all on the same page and know what's going on and who keeps us from our goals, let's teach our rational decision makers how to tame a dragon monkey!!!

Monkey Tamers United

Step 1 - figure out which bricks to lay.

Take a task that you find yourself procrastinating on a LOT but that is actually really important to you. If you've done some challenges you probably know which of your quests give you the most trouble. If you don't, go by what's written in the article or decide for yourself. You could even chose several things if you're feeling confident. Just make sure you have a clear plan of what task it is that you will not procrastinate on any longer. Then break it down into smaller tasks, if necessary. The idea is to end up with nice 30 minute bricks that you can lay down one after the other. Make sure you phrase those tasks in a non-icky way.

Step 2 - figure out when to lay the bricks.

Designate a certain timeframe for brick laying. It could be an hour at 9am every day, or wednesdays from 6-8 pm or any other timeframe that works for you. Write down the time and tasks here in this thread.

These first two steps are supposed to be a tool to help you be successfull. If you'd rather go at it without the planning or in between doing other stuff, that's totally fine.

Step 3 - lay bricks (and earn points).

When the time comes to lay your bricks, put them down. For every brick (30 minutes of focused work, not disturbed by the monkey), you will get one point. For the next brick you lay, you'll get 2 points (yay, bonus points!). The next brick is worth 3 points. And so on. It does not matter if you lay these bricks right after the other or if you do other (productive) stuff in between. As long as you stay our of the dark playground, it's all good and you get more points on every new brick you lay that day. Even if you over-estimated the size of your bricks and still have work left after 30 minutes, don't fret, you still get the points. Adjust your brick sizes for next time (or live with the fact that you won't finish the task with one brick... it's up to you).

If you're not happy with how you set the brick, because the monkey and rational decision maker kept dragging you in and out of the dark woods, you'll end up in mixed feeling park. You get 0.5 points for the effort you put in, but your bonus counter is reset to zero. So the next productive brick will again only yield 1 point.

If the monkey should manage to take over the steering wheel so much that you can't lay the brick at all and end up in the dark playgrouns, the monkey gets 5 points and your counter is reset to zero.

Of course this is all up to your reasoning, but I think you'll know whether you're in the dark woods or the dark playground. Be honest with yourself.

If you need to, you can take scheduled 5 minute breaks every brick (so you'll work 25 minutes, then have a 5 minute break. Or you could work 50 minutes and have a 10 minute break. If you know the pomodoro method, you know where this is coming from ;) ). Just remember that the monkey will do his very best to drag you out of the woods during break time. It might help to have a plan for how you spend the break. Do what works best for you. It might also help immensly to actually set a timer that lets you know when it's time for bricks and time for breaks. There's lots of apps for that ;)

So, to recap the point system:

• 1st 30 productive minutes - 1 pt
  • 2nd 30 productive minutes - 2 pts
  • 3rd 30 prodcutive minutes - 3 pts ...
  • 30 half-assed minutes - 0.5 pts, counter reset
  • 30 monkey minutes - 5 pts for the monkeys, counter reset (should this double as well? not sure yet)

At the end of every day, post your score of how many points you earned and how many points the monkey earned and reset your bonus points counter. I will add the numbers to the counter in the second post. The goal is, of course, to earn more points than the monkeys do. You can see it as a collective effort or you can calculate the percentage of time spend in the dark woods vs. the dark playground (ommiting the half-assed bricks for simplicity) and try to beat other people's scores. Whatever motivates you the most :)

If you want to join in, just post your plans and score here. If you have any suggestions, feedback, ideas, just let me know. I think this system might work well, but I'll be more than happy to build in any means to make it even more awesome :D Also, if you know of other ressources on procrastination or anything you think might be helpful for your team mates, plase share, I'll make a collection of links in the third post. And of course, any experiences, ideas, strategies, funny gifs shared are more than welcome :)

That's it for now. I can't wait to see how this will go :)

• Like 2

Monkey Tamers United

Scoreboard

Tamers    416,5 : 175    Monkeys  

Monkey Tamer - brick material - score - brick quota

aerisand - Create my own promotional site for showcasing work - 62,5:55 - 53%

Briniel - workouts/adulting/job related - 100:30 - 77%

LadyShello - school/flylady/home/scouts/read/konmari - 57:5 - 92%

maegs - n/a - 197:75 - 72%

• Like 1

I'll post my bricks and times for brick-setting later, right now I need to stop procrastinating and start cooking :tongue:

Edit:

My monkey is a sneaky little beast. It specializes in using any little break in a task (even if it's just breaks between sets in my workout) to get me into dark playground territory, sometimes without me even noticing (researching other workout techniques isn't unproductive, is it? Not even if it takes longer than the sets I'm supposed to do...). It's most annoying during workouts, household/chore work and when working on the computer (either office stuff or job-hunt stuff). So that's the areas I'm going to focus on. It also really likes convincing me after a stretch of productive work that it's time for a break now. Just one tomato/brick of a break. And than that'll turn into 4 hours of mindless browsing on fb and NF and youtube. Well, not completely mindless, but definitely dark playground territory. So these bonus points for consecutive bricks will hopefully help end that.

Brick materials (totally stole this from aerisand)

A ) workouts

There's about 2 bricks to a workout (or less, if I manage to actually stick to the break times ;) ) on mondays and saturdays. I will do balance work in the breaks between sets so the monkey will be occupied and not disturb me.

I can also build bricks by doing darebee workouts and/or yoga for half an hour (outside of my morning routine)

B ) adulting

I'll lay down two bricks every day by doing chores/tidying/decluttering/whatever has to be done. I have several lists in my bullet journal to choose from. I'll do the choosing in the 5 minute break ;)

C ) job related

Another two bricks will be made of anything that earns money or helps me find a job. This includes:

• office stuff that I do for my dad
  • research on further education
  • actual work on job applications

Exceptions are tuesdays and fridays when I go to work. On these days I'll lay one brick by practicing singing.

Total: 4-6 bricks on days that I don't go to work, at least 3 bricks on tuesday and fridays.

Brick laying time

I will start laying bricks directly after my morning routine and breakfast OR half an hour after I get home from work. I will stop when I'm done with my bricks.

• Like 2

Love it.  I really like the point gained for half assed minutes. 

I do like the bonus point system.  That doesn't work quite as well for me as I tend to get in 1 tomato at a time between other things so make sure I make time for it.  But Step 1 (making bricks) and Step 2 (scheduling bricks) is already part of my challenge.  :)

Love it.  I really like the point gained for half assed minutes. 

I do like the bonus point system.  That doesn't work quite as well for me as I tend to get in 1 tomato at a time between other things so make sure I make time for it.  But Step 1 (making bricks) and Step 2 (scheduling bricks) is already part of my challenge.   :)

I stole the idea with points for half-assery. Though maybe it should be half a point? Otherwise your first productive tomato and a half-assed tomato don't really differ. And I didn't consider some people might just get a tomato/brick in here and there. Maybe the bonus points should be awarded for any additional tomato over the course of the day, not only if they're consecutive? I do think there should be a reset every day (just like there is with the monkey's memory ;) ), but there shouldn't be a penalty for doing things in between other (productive) things. What do you think?

I know most of us already have their bricks planned and scheduled. I mainly put that there to have a clear view on what to count towards the Monkey Taming and what not. For example, I was quite productive for a tomato or two cooking. But cooking isn't something that the monkey usually bothers me during, so I wouldn't count it for points here. But I'm totally open for suggestions :)

I stole the idea with points for half-assery. Though maybe it should be half a point? Otherwise your first productive tomato and a half-assed tomato don't really differ. And I didn't consider some people might just get a tomato/brick in here and there. Maybe the bonus points should be awarded for any additional tomato over the course of the day, not only if they're consecutive? I do think there should be a reset every day (just like there is with the monkey's memory ;) ), but there shouldn't be a penalty for doing things in between other (productive) things. What do you think?

I know most of us already have their bricks planned and scheduled. I mainly put that there to have a clear view on what to count towards the Monkey Taming and what not. For example, I was quite productive for a tomato or two cooking. But cooking isn't something that the monkey usually bothers me during, so I wouldn't count it for points here. But I'm totally open for suggestions :)

The problem with allowing a bonus for sporadic bricks is that it equally helps out someone who works in spurts and the person who can only manage the monkey long enough for 1 tomato.  Although, returning to being productive after the monkey leads you astray probably deserves some bonus points.  

I do like half points for half-assery.  It's poetic. :D

Going to use a quest I haven't been working on as often as I should be. So, don't mind its numbering.

If C1 gets done fast, I might add another one for the remaining time of the challenge.

1. BRICK MATERIALS

C1 Quest = Create my own promotional site for showcasing work.

C1 3 Create a Demo Reel.

1 brick - Add titles, adjust times

1 brick - Render Demo Reel

C1 4 Create my website and apply style and graphics.

1 brick - Add hyperlinks and create all linked-to pages

1 brick - Finish building all pages (html).

1 brick - Apply style (css).

1 brick - Add animation css. 

1 brick - Add graphics (icons, etc).

1 brick - Add scripting (contact form)

C1 5 Write my website's main content.

1 brick - Add relevant written content to all pages

C1 6 Allocate resources such as Portfolio & Reel.

1 brick - Make 6 to 8 samples of each subsection (1 brick per one or more samples)
Video: edition, animation; Art: vector, raster, hand drawn; Web: ux/ui, prototyping; Graph: diagrams, infographics; Education: tutorials, gamification.

1 brick - Add all media

1 brick - add responsiveness to home page's big buttons 

3 bricks - Make an interactive and/or animated image to use as the main panel

C1 7 Ensure website's functionality.

1 brick - Verify hyperlinks, image display, and look for other errors.

1 brick - If it applies, fix errors.

1 brick - Verify content consistency and polish wording where necessary.

C1 8 Ready-up social networks; LinkedIn, etc.

1 brick - Update and polish social networks' info. 

C1 9 Setup SEO for the website.

1 brick - Review SEO best practices.

1 brick - Setup SEO.

C1 10.1 Publish my "promo website".

1 brick - Upload and publish the site

Total: 14-20 bricks roughly

2. BRICK LAYING TIME

7:30 - 9:00 AM

Completion time estimate: 5 supercharged days, OR 1 - 2 ok weeks  

3. POINT POSTING FORMAT

Brick = 30 productive minutes (25/5 in my case).

Examples of bricks depending on type (the numbers display the points in the brick)

Good bricks in a row: 1 2 3 

Lame brick: 0.5 

Lame bricks in a row: 0.5 0.5 0.5

Monkey poop brick: (5)

Monkey poop bricks in a row: (5 5 5)

Example Bricks Report

1,2 Did blah

(5) Monkey plop

1,2 Did the other blah

3 Did a different blah

0.5,0.5 Half-assed a different blah 

1 2 (5) 1 2 3 0.5 0.5  

Points in example

Aeri: 10

Monkey: 5

• Like 2

The problem with allowing a bonus for sporadic bricks is that it equally helps out someone who works in spurts and the person who can only manage the monkey long enough for 1 tomato.  Although, returning to being productive after the monkey leads you astray probably deserves some bonus points.  

I do like half points for half-assery.  It's poetic. :D

Okay, I get your point. There's a distinction between someone who does bricks in between doing other productive stuff and someone who does one brick, then gets overthrown by the monkey, then does another brick and so on. I meant that in the first case you would still get the bonus points, but in the second you wouldn't (since the monkey poop bricks in between reset the counter). Does that make sense?

Going to use a quest I haven't been working on as often as I should be. So, don't mind its numbering.

If C1 gets done fast, I might add another one for the remaining time of the challenge.

1. BRICK MATERIALS

C1 Quest = Create my own promotional site for showcasing work.

C1 3 Create a Demo Reel.

1 brick - Render Demo Reel

C1 4 Create my website and apply style and graphics.

1 brick - Add hyperlinks and create all linked-to pages

1 brick - Finish building all pages (html)  

1 brick - Apply style (css)

1 brick - Add graphics (icons, etc)

C1 5 Write my website's main content.

1 brick - Add relevant written content to all pages

C1 6 Allocate resources such as Portfolio & Reel.

1 brick - Add all media

C1 7 Ensure website's functionality.

1 brick - Verify hyperlinks, image display, and look for other errors.

1 brick - If it applies, fix errors.

1 brick - Verify content consistency and polish wording where necessary.

C1 8 Ready-up social networks; LinkedIn, etc.

1 brick - Update and polish social networks' info. 

C1 9 Setup SEO for the website.

1 brick - Review SEO best practices.

1 brick - Setup SEO.

C1 10.1 Publish my "promo website".

1 brick - Upload and publish the site

Total: 14-20 bricks roughly

2. BRICK LAYING TIME

7:30 - 9:00 AM

Completion time estimate: 5 supercharged days, OR 1 - 2 ok weeks  

3. POINT POSTING FORMAT

Brick = 30 productive minutes (25/5 in my case).

Examples of bricks depending on type (the numbers display the points in the brick)

Good bricks in a row: 1 2 3 

Lame brick: 1 

Lame bricks in a row: 1 1 1

Monkey poop brick: (5)

Monkey poop bricks in a row: (5 5 5)

Example Bricks Report

1,2 Did blah

(5) Monkey plop

1,2 Did the other blah

3 Did a different blah

1,1 Half-assed a different blah 

1 2 (5) 1 2 3 1 1  

Points in example

Aeri: 11

Oh my god I love you. Would you be okay with switching lame bricks to 0.5 points?

• Like 2

Okay, I get your point. There's a distinction between someone who does bricks in between doing other productive stuff and someone who does one brick, then gets overthrown by the monkey, then does another brick and so on. I meant that in the first case you would still get the bonus points, but in the second you wouldn't (since the monkey poop bricks in between reset the counter). Does that make sense?

Oh my god I love you. Would you be okay with switching lame bricks to 0.5 points?

So basically monkey poop trumps brick bonuses?   :D

• Like 1

:D 

Sure, I've changed it in my post.

BTW, would anything happen or be different if someone lays bricks outside of the mentioned schedule? 

I think the time frame is really just a tool to help you be successful.  I don't think it would affect points.  Briniel, do you agree?

:D

Sure, I've changed it in my post.

BTW, would anything happen or be different if someone lays bricks outside of the mentioned schedule? 

I think the time frame is really just a tool to help you be successful.  I don't think it would affect points.  Briniel, do you agree?

Jup. If there was no monkey poop in between I vote for still counting it and adding bonus points if applicable. I'll change it in the first post!

I kind of want to do something productive and then let my monkey distract me just so I can say that my monkey pooped all over my tomatoes.  :D

• Like 1

Wanted to start today, so... 

BRICK REPORT 08/03

1,2 Add titles, adjust times, render Demo Reel, fix errors @6:17, 6:47

3 Add hyperlinks, create all linked-to pages @7:17

1 2 3

Aeri: 6

Monkey: 0

win_zpsfwcoztz5.jpg

BRICK REPORT 09/03

1 darebee workout

2 finish application for new job

3,4 office work for side job, finished

5,6 household chores (empty, clean and refill dishwasher, vacuum and mop floors, tidy up)

1 2 3 4 5 6

Briniel: 21

All of this was done between 9am and 2 pm, there were little stretches in between where I did other stuff, but it was all productive (eat, shower, play with the cats, that kind of thing). Though I am suprised it cummulates to two hours O_o The monkey did try to persuade me now and then, but it seems to be intimidated by me having a plan. I'm sure this will wear off sooner or later, so I'll be prepared for when that happens ;) The balance work in between sets thing worked really well and I'm already seeing improvements in my balance. I can hold a full blown tree pose (arms raised) for quite some time now :)

• Like 1

OK. This week's bricks are laid out in this picture from my passion planner. I also have my brick schedule in my bullet journal.

Bricks: 8b20a978efdf1e97211c4dbd955fdd5e.jpg

Schedule: 4154942df398b7c94fc7b4410ca75d1f.jpg

1 Finished Steve's book

no monkey poop.

Spent some time in the Happy Playground giving myself a pedicure. :)

BRICK REPORT 09/03

1 Finish building all pages (html) @8:05
2 Change banner for taller banner when in mobile @8:35
3 Create missing graphics @9:05
4 Apply style (css) @ 9:35
Workout 
5,6 Add animation css @11:50, 12:20

1 2 3 4 5 6

Aeri: 21

It was difficult but I hung up on a sudden sales call mid-tomato :D Actually, it was a bit easier to hang up since I had a brick-laying mindset!

win_zpsfwcoztz5.jpg
  • Like 1

Today I got bit by the monkey. I had it all planned out but just before we entered the dark forest, the monkey took over and we ended up on facbook. I did notice what was happening, but the monkey persuaded me that it's fine as long as it doesn't turn into a full brick/tomato and we would start with the work in just a few minutes. Of course it did turn into a full brick in the end ;) I managed to steer us back and get through the critical entrance and from there on it was fine. I layed a brick of office work and applications and two bricks of chores (by deep-cleaning the bathroom). I then ran some other errands but they weren't timed and not monkey-prone. It wouldn't hurt to do some more stuff if I feel like it, but there's nothing I have to do, so I'm calling it a day MTU-wise.

(5)123

Briniel: 6

• Like 1

Wednesday

1, Flylady missions 1, 2, & 3.  That's three bricks in 1 time block

2, Reading a chapter for class

I did some things in between but they weren't monkey poop - eating dinner, family meeting and family game time. 

Shello: 3

And still on schedule for the week.  

• Like 1

Nice work Shello! As long as there's not monkey poop it's all good. I added your points to our overall counter. We're curshing it so far. Do you guys think the monkeys are too weak? I was wondering if there should be more penalty points with monkey poop or whether our consecutive-bricks bonus is too high... what do you think?