GymlessRanger's Do Whatever, Whenever Log

After keeping a log for years and years on Bodybuilding.com, then going years and years without keeping any log whatsoever, I find myself creating a log here at Nerd Fitness completely on a whim. I don't really need a log at this point in my fitness life, but I've always enjoyed keeping one and having the opportunity to share my workouts with cool people. So here I am. 

To any who care to follow my journey, I'll do my very best to actually stick to this one. No promises, but I'll do what I can.

So, with that outta the way, lemme talk about the good stuff.

Who I Am:

I'm a 27-year old fitness professional/writer. I write fitness content and run a personal training business that specializes in providing mobile minimal-equipment workouts to anyone and everyone. I live in beautiful Boulder, Colorado (for a few more months, at least) and I'm married to the best girl ever. I love fantasy novels, my 3DS, my two fur babies, and craft beer. I think that about covers it.

My Fitness Background:

I've been all over the place. I competed in powerlifting through high school and college, put up some decent numbers, then got burned out and became a runner. I haven't done a workout in a gym in almost three years. Now, I spend most of my fitness time running and doing workouts with minimal equipment. It's lame compared to what I used to do, but it works for me.

I don't plan my training anymore unless I'm trying to nail a specific goal, and that hasn't been the case in a while. The only thing that's set in stone is my run streak. I've run at least a mile every single day for the last 2.5 years, and I don't plan to stop anytime soon. Other than that, it's like my title says: I do whatever, whenever. 

My Goals:

I just want to continue having fun with fitness and stay in good shape. Oh, and I might run another marathon later this year. I do have a fitness bucket list that I might continue working toward, but I'll save that for later. 

Whew, glad that's done. Onward...

Owner/Coach @ Gymless Fitness

My Do Whatever, Whenever Log

"Change is not always growth, but growth is often rooted in change." -Drizzt Do'Urden

3/6/16:

-5.25 mile run @ 7:40ish/mi. nice and easy. last run in my poor, beat-up new balance minimus road's.

-Some dynamic stretching (t-spine mobility, mostly)

3/8/16:

-Sandbag (I'll always refer to this as "USB" from now on) Circuit x3 rounds

USB Clean x50x8

USB Curl x50x5

USB Bent Row x50x10

-T-Spine/overhead mechanics work

"Change is not always growth, but growth is often rooted in change." -Drizzt Do'Urden

Thanks, Elastigirl! I definitely have! :)

3/9/16:

-7.55 mile run @ 7:40-7:50/mi (my watch is completely full - need to delete old stuff soon so I can see my average pace)

I've been really slacking with my "longer" runs, so wanted to put in something more than my usual 3-4 miles today. Nice and relaxing. I used a new pair of shoes that I'm not psyched about, but I'm sure I'll get used to them.

I'm still trying to decide if I want to run another marathon later this year, so I'll probably work up to a 14-16 miler over the next few weeks and see how I feel about it.

• Like 1

Thanks, Cataleya!! I have a thing for streaks/challenges like that. I started with 100 burpees a day for 2012-2013, then added one beer a day a few months later (I'm now over 3 years on this one, try not to judge me), then switched the burpees over to running when the year was up. 

I'll do my best to provide some interesting workouts!

• Like 1

3/10/16:

Core Circuit x3 rounds

-Plank KB Pull x25x10

-TRX Bus Driver x10

-Band Anti-Rotation Press/Alphabet (black band) x10/side

Finisher

-KB Swing x35x50

Other Stuff

-Glute mobilizations, hip ER/IR stretch/mobilization, light foam rolling (quad, hip, upper back)

Easy core session today. I'll probably put in another run tomorrow, then do a more substantial workout on Saturday. Also, just to give anyone who decides to follow an idea of where I'm at, I snapped a quick photo:

IMG_5305-e1457643878174.jpg

I've maintained this for quite a few years and I'm honestly pretty happy with where I'm at. I used to be a decent bit heavier when I competed in powerlifting (anywhere from 165 to 175), but I sit around 150-155 most days. Aesthetically, I don't have any major goals right now. I wouldn't mind putting a little more size on my arms (always a weak point for me), but not a big deal if I don't.

3/11/16:

Run

-3.4 miles (2 @ 6:50, the rest @ 7:55)

Other Stuff

-Some misc baby strength work for some videos for my website

I wasn't actually planning to put any faster miles in today, but that's okay. Harder than they should have been, though not surprising since I haven't run anything sub-7:00 in a few months. I'm going to try be better about getting threshold/speed work in once every week or two.

3/12/16:

Lower (mostly) Circuit x2 rounds

-Rollback Squat x10 (single and double leg)

-USB Shouldering + Switch x50x8

-Slider Mountain Climber x75

Finisher

-USB Deadlift to Hang Clean 50x20

Other Stuff

-Got in some mobility work this morning during a session with my rugby player. When you train athletes, you're pretty much guaranteed to move around a bit! Not always welcome, but today it was.

Now, time to drink some beer and enjoy Saturday! :)

3/14/16:

Run

-3.3 miles, splits @ 7:30, 7:30, 6:51, then an easy cooldown

I wasn't planning to run today, but we're in for some fierce wind the next few days. It wasn't too bad earlier, so decided to knock a run out. Also, since my workouts aren't all that exciting, I thought I'd include some non-workout stuff, too...

Reading

-Dagger and the Coin series book #2: The King's Blood. On a big fantasy kick. 

-The Forest for the Trees. It's basically a fun book with tips for writers from an editor's viewpoint.

Playing

-Xenoblade Chronicles 3D and Fire Emblem Fates (Birthright). I've been hooked on my 3DS lately.

Writing

-An article on the best slider exercises for beginners. Not sure where it'll go yet, but worst case I'll have it for my site.

-Got in some mobility work this morning during a session with my rugby player. When you train athletes, you're pretty much guaranteed to move around a bit! Not always welcome, but today it was.

You train a Rugby player?  Do you have any tips/articles on that?  My wife is a lock on a women's team and she's always hunting for something.

My Battle Log 

I'm on Strava for my running now.

Check out Kick! too.  You unlock gear with your progress on Strava.

You train a Rugby player?  Do you have any tips/articles on that?  My wife is a lock on a women's team and she's always hunting for something.

I do! To be honest, most of my clients over the years have not been athletes, and he's my first rugby player. So apply a good amount of skepticism to what I say...

We've spent most of our time working on acceleration and deceleration work, change of direction over short distances (10-20yd), and overall conditioning with an emphasis on rotation/anti-rotation work. All of this is really specific to him (and his position) though, as he struggles in all of those areas. 

If you have a specific question about how to improve a weakness, I can probably be of more help!

I do! To be honest, most of my clients over the years have not been athletes, and he's my first rugby player. So apply a good amount of skepticism to what I say...

We've spent most of our time working on acceleration and deceleration work, change of direction over short distances (10-20yd), and overall conditioning with an emphasis on rotation/anti-rotation work. All of this is really specific to him (and his position) though, as he struggles in all of those areas. 

If you have a specific question about how to improve a weakness, I can probably be of more help!

Sounds like you're training some kind of back (the people who are more for speed and moving the ball).  I was more curious than anything.  My wife is more concerned with scrums, mauls and rucking (basically shouldering into people and shoving).  She made me watch 2 hours of scrum workshop footage last night.

Her team has been doing general fitness with sprints into burpees, pushups, mountain climbers or ruckups (a weird rugby specific maneuver).  She's been doing weight training focusing on shoulder and back strength on her own.

My Battle Log 

I'm on Strava for my running now.

Check out Kick! too.  You unlock gear with your progress on Strava.

Sounds like you're training some kind of back (the people who are more for speed and moving the ball).  I was more curious than anything.  My wife is more concerned with scrums, mauls and rucking (basically shouldering into people and shoving).  She made me watch 2 hours of scrum workshop footage last night.

Her team has been doing general fitness with sprints into burpees, pushups, mountain climbers or ruckups (a weird rugby specific maneuver).  She's been doing weight training focusing on shoulder and back strength on her own.

He's actually a forward (hooker)! We just hit the stuff I mentioned hard because he's really weak there, and he wants to diversify a bit so he can possibly sub for other positions. He's in his 40s and has been playing for 20 years, so he's mostly concerned about making sure he can keep up with all the young guys. Speed is a big part of that problem.

I'm still trying to figure the sport out, but from what I've seen I feel like all positions could benefit from just about all types of training. Conditioning stuff like you're talking about is always helpful!

3/16/16:

Run

-3.65 miles - no clue on the pace, left my watch at home. very likely my usual 7:40-7:50/mi

Still having some rubbing issues with these new shoes. It's better, but still not great. I actually decided to order another shoe - this one about the amount of minimal that I'm used to - on a whim. It's a little out there and I've never tried this style, so excited to get them tomorrow.

Hint, hint: they're sandals. I'm skeptical, but if they work for my feet then it'll solve the major issue I have with shoes, and that's blowing through the sides way before I wear down the sole. We'll see!

3/17/16:

Core Circuit x3 rounds

-USB Lateral Plank Pull x20x5/side

-Reverse Crunch (no anchor) x10

-Slider Body Saw x8

Mobility/Dynamic Stretching

-Knee Hug, Toy Soldier, Lying Hip ER, Knee Hug ER, Groiner w/ Reach, Butt Kick, High Knee, Lateral Lunge Mobs

I was planning to do another 3-4 mile run today before the snow hit. Unfortunately, the snow started this morning and I just didn't feel like dealing with it today. I'll probably take tomorrow off, then get another run in on Saturday. 

3/19/16:

Run

-6.9 miles - splits between 7:35 and 7:55

Took a nice and relaxing snow day yesterday. I wasn't planning to do more than 3-4 today, but received my new shoes (well, sandals) yesterday and wanted to give them a proper spin. I'm pleasantly surprised by them. I had some rubbing issues on my left foot, but that's nothing out of the ordinary for me, and it was wet so I was sliding a bit. Still, as long as I don't have any other issues over the next 40-50 miles, I think these will become my go-to road and trail footwear.

IMG_5400-e1458426218364.jpg

3/21/16:

Run

-3.2 miles @ 7:32/mi

Really loving how these new sandals ride, but still trying to find a way around these rubbing issues on my big toe. After it got really bad today, I loosened the front strap big-time and surprisingly that helped and didn't cause my foot to slide all over. I'll probably just have to keep sucking it up and let my poor toe get destroyed for a while, but I'll keep playing with the straps and see what I can do. No other rubbing at least, so should be good to go once I get past this little hiccup!

3/23/16:

Upper Circuit x3 rounds

-Pause (middle of rep) TRX Row x8

-Close Grip Pushup x20

-TRX Face Pull x12

Finisher

-USB Hammer Curl x50x5, 4, 3, 2, 1

-1.5 KB Curl x25sx5, 4, 3, 2, 1

And of course my usual daily 1-mile run. Days like today...I don't look forward to it ;)

IMG_5413-e1458757741877.jpg

• Like 1

3/24/16:

Run

-2.25 miles @ ~8:15

Awful day for running. We got ~20 inches of snow here yesterday and everything is backed up. I was planning to do 4 or so, but turned around halfway when I realized how shitty it was. Oh well. We'll see if tomorrow is any better!