Talos

Hello, Assassins!

This challenge is starting a bit late, given that I was "off the grid" for spring break to live for a few days in a rural farmhouse... long story...

Since this is my first challenge with the Assassins' Guild, here's a little about me:

- My previous challenge

- My backstory

TL, DR version: 24-year-old former (soon-to-be-current?) parkour enthusiast, Washington, DC inhabitant, with slightly insane long-term endurance running goals.

I hope to get involved quickly and get to know more of you soon!

Now, without further ado...

Talos Builds His Arsenal

Oliver_fashions_an_arrow.png

This challenge will probably be a step down in intensity from my last, since I'll be kicking it off by finishing the big goal that most of the prior month was building toward - my first half marathon!

With that out of the way, though, I'm hoping to build up my "arsenal" of bodyweight skills, now that I'm joining the Guild.

For starters, I'm going to shoot for improving some basics that I've tried at in the past, but failed due to not having a dependable practice schedule. Reliability is something I improved on a lot with my last challenge, so I'm going to use this month as an opportunity to take another stab at these.

Ideally, I'd like to post a video as proof of each of these!

Skills:

- Complete a round-off

A couple years ago I picked up a slight hip injury that really killed my ability to do some basic skills I used to enjoy, e.g., cartwheeling and round-offs. Previously I was working on aerials, which I would love (LOVE) to actually achieve in the future - but first I need this foundation. Thus, re-learning the round-off.

- Five handstand wall push-ups.

This is just basic strength improvement. My shoulder strength is one of my weak spots, so this will help with the next goal...

- 15-second freestanding hand stands!

'Nuff said. Something I've tried in the past, improved on, but just never practiced enough to get good at. No reason I can't pull this off if I stick with it.

Life:

- Build 20 'mind palace' rooms.

This one probably sounds weird, but I'm serious. Remember those scenes in Sherlock where he goes into a trance to pull up some random bit of information? That's actually a real thing; it's a memory training technique called the "Method of Loci", and it's been used to win memory championships and memorize huge amounts of texts. Anyway, it's a skill I've picked up and want to develop to a fuller potential - because let's face it . . . an Assassin's best weapon is his mind.  :ph34r:

Each "room" holds a handful of pieces of information, usually related. I have maybe seven or eight set at the moment, and am a bit rusty, so this will be a fun return to form.

large.png

Oh, and I'll still be running and stuff, because long-term goals. But this will be a fun challenge.  :playful:

• Like 5

Level 6 Demon Hunter, Novice Troubadour

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge

Previous challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7

"I'm trying to free your mind, Neo. But I can only show you the door. You're the one that has to walk through it."

Cool challenge, will be following along again.

• Like 1

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Forum Posts: Current Challenge - The 80/20 Rule2021 Road Map - Make a House a Home

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map

Woohoo new challenge! I'll be cursing you and all the other runners Saturday when all the streets are shut down. :)

• Like 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Woohoo new challenge! I'll be cursing you and all the other runners Saturday when all the streets are shut down. :)

Haha, you should come watch! There's supposed to be a ton of live music. It's the "Rock 'n' Roll" half marathon, after all.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge

"I'm trying to free your mind, Neo. But I can only show you the door. You're the one that has to walk through it."

Haha, you should come watch! There's supposed to be a ton of live music. It's the "Rock 'n' Roll" half marathon, after all.

Depends on how early it comes down H lol. It's Saturday and I like sleep. =P 

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Today put me off to a good start, despite a crazy busy school day. I think I'm acclimated as best I can be now with the mini-challenge forums.

I missed the deadlines on a couple (which is sad; I'd love to have a rival . . . any takers?), but I thrashed the burpees. Pretty sure it wasn't designed for people to do the entirety of the rep goal at once, but why waste time? ;)

Also, after having not practiced wall handstand push-ups in ages, I can do exactly two. And they're pretty ugly. 

• Like 2

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge

Depends on how early it comes down H lol. It's Saturday and I like sleep. =P 

Can't say I blame you! That's what I'd be doing if I were a sane human being.

Still, here's a course map just in case . . . ;)

http://cdn.runrocknroll.com/wp-content/sites/13/2016/02/DC_16_CourseMap_CE_Final.pdf

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge

Can't say I blame you! That's what I'd be doing if I were a sane human being.

Still, here's a course map just in case . . . ;)

http://cdn.runrocknroll.com/wp-content/sites/13/2016/02/DC_16_CourseMap_CE_Final.pdf

As of yesterday I was honest to god going to do it. But apparently I fractured my ankle last night (very minor but still a thing) so I think staying home is best. :( Maybe next year I'll run it with you instead. :)

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

As of yesterday I was honest to god going to do it. But apparently I fractured my ankle last night (very minor but still a thing) so I think staying home is best. :( Maybe next year I'll run it with you instead. :)

Ack! I just read your story about that - that majorly sucks. :(

• Like 1

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge

I made it! Half Marathon: check. Another major goal completed. :pride:

Next up for racing goals, hopefully tackling a full marathon in the fall.

Full time for the race: 2:20:14 - I'm quite content, especially given that it worked out faster overall than many of my shorter training runs. Next time (whenever that is), I should be able to manage sub-2:00 without much trouble; I still felt like I had enough energy that I could have built up more speed in the beginning.

Also, my legs have mutinied. So there's that.

• Like 4

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge

Legs are still pretty sore, but I had an educational hour and a half of learning yoga poses for the mini-challenge today. My hips feel nice and bendy.

• Like 2

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge

How is the post-race week going? Can you walk straight yet??

Not too shabby - thanks for checking!

Legs are almost back to normal at this point. I felt worn out after just doing a short recovery run on Tuesday, but I've been feeling good after taking it easy for most of the week. Conveniently, this was a week where I needed to sit around and get a lot of school tasks done, anyway - so no harm done to my schedule.

• Like 3

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge

Oh man. I got an email alert that you made that post. And I turned off email alerts in August. Why do we fix things that aren't broken?

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Yikes. Is it the end of the challenge already?

So you might be thinking, "Gee, you haven't posted very much this month, have you?" And you'd be right, lovely reader. You'd be right.

But here I am, right on time to sum up the last few weeks. Without further ado:

Goals and Progress:

None of these were accomplished. Zero.

The interesting thing is, I've still felt like this challenge period was a productive time for me, which led me to realize something that should have been glaringly obvious, long before now...

My long-term goals have changed. These goals - bodyweight movements, gymanastics, etc. - were all aimed at hazy ideals I came up with quite a few years ago, when parkour conditioning and bodyweight training were my introduction to fitness. A lot has happened since then. I learned about lifting. I climbed mountains. I learned how to run, and that I might actually really enjoy it (which I would never have ever expected in a hundred years).

The fact that I kicked off this challenge by hitting a major personal milestone in running (the half marathon) was very telling. For me, that's become my main way of pushing myself physically and psychologically, and it's something I'm genetically geared to be good at doing, so I've clicked with it in a way I never really did with bodyweight movements - even if I did a decent job of cranking out the burpees when I needed to.

So, all that being said...

I think tackling this challenge with the Assassins didn't push me physically, because my heart wasn't in it, and so I couldn't care enough to stick to my plan. I'm not at all the same person I was six years ago. I'm a new man, with a new mission and new long-term goals.

And, apparently, this new man is a Scout. So that's where I'll be taking my next challenge!

Hope to see you guys there. :)

• Like 1

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge

So much of my decision to be an assassin is a desire to basically be the Black Widow even though very little of my goals actually mesh with Assassins, so I might be joining you in Scouts one day! I'll definitely be catching you on your next challenge! 

I love these things, because even if we end up not accomplishing exactly what we set out to do, we always learn something about ourselves - even if its just about our preferences. 

Excited to see what you accomplish in the next one!

• Like 1

Fallaces sunt rerum species et hominum spes fallunt.

2 hours ago, Asa Pond said:

So much of my decision to be an assassin is a desire to basically be the Black Widow even though very little of my goals actually mesh with Assassins, so I might be joining you in Scouts one day! I'll definitely be catching you on your next challenge! 

I love these things, because even if we end up not accomplishing exactly what we set out to do, we always learn something about ourselves - even if its just about our preferences. 

Excited to see what you accomplish in the next one!

Thank you!! The support means a lot. I'll be looking forward to yours, too. 

Right now I honestly don't know what my new goals will be. That's definitely something to think about in the upcoming week.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge