http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/79718-rantings-of-a-mad-man/

^ Also posted this up here and realized this area is where introductions go. Attention Mods: feel free to remove the above post if you would like, I apologize for my confusion. ^

Hey all, my name is Matt and I am a computer nerd. Phew, glad I got through that.

I am out of shape and recently made a solemn vow to my family that I would run a 5k with them this June.

I am a procrastinating hobbit who eats way to many snacks and does absolutely nothing to burn it off. I'm not obese, but neither am I "in shape."

Since starting Nerd Fitness, I am now doing the 10 minute walks every day (for 2 whole days now :tongue: ) and the 4 recommended yoga poses, despite my feeling silly whilst doing them.

After the 10 minute walks I find myself winded. Sad, I know, but true nonetheless. I am great at starting something new, but really need to develop the endurance to persevere and I am hoping NF will help with that.

I know I have many hurdles to jump and look forward to questing with you all.

Also: I am leaning towards becoming a Scout or an Adventurer, but am unsure which one is up my alley. Guidance is appreciated.

I have always felt like I "could" get in shape, but honestly I've had no desire to do so. This is the start of day 4 and I enjoy getting involved in groups and I have been told I am a wonderful motivator, therefore, if I can be held accountable to keep going, I will gladly do the same for all of you!

Ojara out.
  • Like 2

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step. - Lao Tzu

C25K program: ~17% Completed

Battle Log: My Final Fantasy of getting in shape

Character Sheet: Ojara

Hello Ojara!

I'm brand new too, so nice to meet you.

I think it's great that you are taking a chance and showing up. A walk and yoga poses sounds like a wonderful way to establish that routine.

Can't really advise on the Scout or Adventurer, being new :).

Both sounded appealing to me also, since I do a lot of hiking and later biking once the weather gets better, which is very soon now.. Ultimately I think you pick what appeals to your heart. I love Tai Chi and QiGong and want to get more involved in those discipline so I went with Druid. I understand you can stay a Rebel too.

Cheers

- Level 1 - Water-bending Elf - Aspiring Druid Adventurer -

STR 1/ DEX 3/ STA 1/ CON 1/ WIS 4/ CHA 1

Spoiler

NFA4 - EQ1 - My Character - My Nerd Thing: A Walk Around The World

Current: #3QiGong & Back to Basics; #3Mini(Assassins); #3Mini(Adventurers)

Previous 2016: PVP:Walk of Life(Mar-Apr16) - #1(Apr/Rebel) - #2(May/Druid) -

"We're all stories in the end. Just make it a good one." -- Doctor Who, the 11th

Adventurer is sort of the default if you can't decide...scout is focused on endurance sports (runnning, cycling, etc.), so since it sounds like you are focused on running right now it doesn't hurt to give that a try.

You can always jump guilds later.

• Like 2

"What's the goal here?  What's the lesson here?  What's the best use of my time right now?" <-- Rory Miller's "three sacred questions"

"Lacking in humility?  Don't worry, the bar will give you some." <-- Me.

HedgeMage, Orc Ranger

Battle Log | IRL Info

Adventurer is sort of the default if you can't decide...scout is focused on endurance sports (runnning, cycling, etc.), so since it sounds like you are focused on running right now it doesn't hurt to give that a try.

You can always jump guilds later.

I decided to join the Scouts for now as I am training for the 5K, we'll see how that goes.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step. - Lao Tzu

C25K program: ~17% Completed

Battle Log: My Final Fantasy of getting in shape

Character Sheet: Ojara

Hi there! I just ran my first 5K last week, so I can tell you it's quite satisfying when you get there! :) 

Scouts are more focused on cardio activities like running, biking, and swimming, so it makes sense to train with them if your main focus is the 5K. 

Adventurers are more focused around exploring your surroundings - hiking, geocaching, and the like. This is a recent change; the adventurers USED to be a bit of a do-everything guild, but aren't any longer.

Rangers are a bit of a do-everything guild, with a mix of cardio and strength or bodyweight training, so that might appeal to you too depending on whether you're doing anything in addition to running. :) 

It's also perfectly acceptable to change guilds depending on what your goals are each challenge. Even guild leaders sometimes pop in to other guilds for challenges depending on their goals.

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 49

2022 challenges:  49 (current)

2015-2021 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | | 46 | 4748 ||

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

Hi and welcome, Ojara! I'm Ellie. Pleasure to make your acquaintance!

Sounds like pretty solid goals to me, as does joining the scouts. Do you have plans to take part in this / the next four week challenge? Its going to be my first one too so perhaps I'll see you around there. Anyways, seems like you'll fit in here just fine! :)