• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
JasonACraft

Paleo Packers?

I've been transitioning to Paleo for the past 6-7 months or so. I like it. Alot. Works really well for me and I'm about 90-95% accurate on my diet.(no wheat, dairy, beans, sweeeeeeeets...)

And now it's commit to the start of my backpacking season and I don't know what to do. Just looking for feedback, brand sources, recipes for meals that I can take backpacking. I know there's more than a few of you out there.

Last year I did the pack it gourmet and liked it, but looking at some of those labels now has me cringing. Need the meat and veggies!

Lunch today, butternut squash bisque. Frozen from a few weeks ago.[ATTACH]126553[/ATTACH]

• Like 1

I've actually been looking into dehydrating food for backpacking lately, if that's something you might be interested I can give you a few resources (I'd just need to fire up my other computer to grab them).  Nice thing about it is you can tailor the meals to fit your dietary needs.

One thing I would look into is working quinoa into meals, quinoa is often misunderstood by Paleo dieters who mistake it for a grain..it isn't..it's actually considered a grass.  Which means, if you are hardcore Paleo...yes you can have it.  Here's why I recommend it for hiking: calorie/carb dense with tons of protein and fiber.  You expend a lot of energy when hiking, and this is a very simple way to keep yourself well fueled.  You can take it either pre-cooked if going out for a day, or combine it with dehydrated meat/veggies and seasoning..then just add a little water and a camp stove/fire and you'll have a full meal in 15 minutes (can you tell what I plan to do with my food dehydrator?).

Jerky would be a good source of protein as well, has an awesome shelf life too.  Paleo jerky recipes are pretty easy to find.

Fruit and nuts/seeds would be good.  I'm sure you could also come up with a trail mix recipe.

• Like 1

And now it's commit to the start of my backpacking season and I don't know what to do. Just looking for feedback, brand sources, recipes for meals that I can take backpacking. I know there's more than a few of you out there.

So second on this question!

I live on a mountain and hit the trails here regularly - it's small but super steep, so I tend to do 2 - 3 intense hours in a shot, home in time for dinner. Since I'm not camping often, don't pack a ton of snacks. 

Last year I found myself keeping a duo pack of nuts and a few pieces of dried fruit. Gearing up for the new season, I'd like to find some interesting recipes that I can make for energy bites at the summit, but that also keep in the kitchen for a few weeks if anyone has any ideas? I'm not specific to Paleo, but don't eat processed food or sugars, so it's somewhat similar. (I find myself more in the keto camp pretty often.)

I've actually been looking into dehydrating food for backpacking lately, if that's something you might be interested I can give you a few resources (I'd just need to fire up my other computer to grab them). Nice thing about it is you can tailor the meals to fit your dietary needs.

Yes please! I bit the bullet and bought a dehydrator today

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

First off, Jonathan Mead, a past Headmaster for Camp Nerdfitness, posted up this awesome trail mix on his facebook group the other day, definitely looks like a winner for energy on the trail:

Macadamia nuts
Coconut chips
Cinnamon
Cacao nibs
Dash of salt

As for a good place to kick off on backpacking food, this website is my current favorite:

http://www.backpackingchef.com/

Lots of awesome stuff on there, I particularly like the recipe he calls "bark"..I see lots of potential of adapting that for other flavors/sauces for trail food.

• Like 1

I got this Omnibar in a Cairn box. The taste was interesting. A Little too zesty for me, but the idea was pretty awesome. It's full ingredient list is interesting mix (100% grass fed beef, dried prunes, almonds, dried sweet potatoes, organic oats, clarified mango concentrate, brown flax seed, brown cane sugar, curry, salt, tamarind extract, spices). When I get some time I want to try to experiment with it a little and see if I can make a homemade version. I think it would include making some jerky and shredding it up then adding the other ingredients. It was really pretty awesome to eat at the summit of a mountain. Sweet and savory and very satisfying.

I got an Ally's bar in another box which was also a similar idea, just no meat in it. It is pricey, but also on that sweet and savory complex taste side of things.

I feel like maybe there is this whole slew of recipes of bars like this that I am missing out on just because I don't' know how to search for it. They are real food like. A homemade version would guarantee it.

• Like 1