mini: Assassin Force Academy: Relic Hunt

starsapart

Korribanlandscape.jpg

Bonus Challenge 4:

Relic Hunt

Lost temples, hidden fortresses, and forgotten tombs all hide artifacts of great power that can aid you, if you can navigate the treacherous passages and make your way past the traps that still guard them.

Each Padawan or Acolyte who wishes to participate:

Find the list of yoga poses on the scoring sheet.  Complete poses to avoid the defenses, but don’t get too far ahead of your teammates to avoid getting lost.

HOW TO PLAY:

• If you have not already Chosen Your Allegiance, please use the link to do so.  A Guild Leader will assign you a faction at their earliest opportunity (allow at least 24 hours). Check the sheets (Jedi Padawan and Sith Acolytes) to see where you have been assigned.

• Log the number of poses completed with GOOD FORM.  If you are unable to perform a pose with good form, do not count it.  The poses range from very simple to very difficult, so choose your poses based on what your body can safely do.

• Individual scores are limited to 2x their team’s average poses scored.  (For example, there are 20 people on Anim’s team.  If he logs 10 poses, the team average will be ½ and he will earn 1 point for his team.  As his teammates log poses of their own, the team average will increase and his additional poses will automatically be scored.)

• You may count each pose only once.

• If you have an injury that means you cannot perform any poses safely please contact your Guild Leaders for an alternative challenge.

• You are encouraged to share photos or videos of your efforts, although these are not required for scoring purposes.

• This challenge will end on Friday, March 18th, at 11:59pm EST.

• The team with the most traps defeated will have also found the most relics, earning a  bonus for the final battle.

HolocronsPotJ.JPG

This mini-challenge lasts until March 18th, 11:59pm EST!

>>Relic Hunt<<

Normal Mini-Challenge Rules:

- Mini-challenges are not mandatory, feel free to ignore this one if you don't want to participate. Don't let mini-challenges hinder your own goals.

- If you're not sure how to register something, post it here.

- Keep it simple!

- Don't hurt yourself!

Assassins, remember to be safe and have fun!

• Like 3

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

Man I do the best corpse pose. ;)

• Like 3

Fitocracy  GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

I've gone through them all and the ones that have bad links are Camel, Cow, Fish, Foot on front of thigh, Sphinx & Toestand. 

• Like 1

Fitocracy  GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

Totally spotted this accidentally on the spreadsheet when you guys were experimenting with it a week or two ago, haha! Looking forward to actually being able to do it now!

Yoga yoga yoga!

Sent by my Navi-powered device!

Brain-Building Assassin, a.k.a Radical Domestic Jill-of-All-Trades

Battle Log | Challenges: Current |18 |17 |16 |15 |14 |13 |12 |11 |109 | 87 | 65432 | 1  

Isaiah 40:30-31

I'm getting bad link for marichyasana 1, but the next pose "mdl" has a link to another marichyasana variant, the second one shown here. The poses in that series have a number of variants and can be labeled various ways , but one sort is folds...

RobinMarichyasanaI.261165607_std.jpg

and the other sort is twists...

marichyasana-1-bound-twist.jpg

Though more commonly I see it done twisting TOWARDS the bent leg:

csm_17__Marichasana_C_b730cd6de3_50x50_0

• Like 1

Joshua - Yoga Ninja Weasel #20: The Weasel goes on an Adventure!

Other clarifications -

Crab and table look like the same pose in the pics. As a yoga teacher, I would generally differentiate them by saying that crab only requires the butt be off the ground, but table requires the torso and upper thighs to be nearly flat.

Cobra and upward dog also look very similar in the pics. In cobra, generally the pelvis and perhaps lower abdomen are solidly grounded on the floor, and the arms can be slightly bent. In Up dog, the arms are always straight, the pelvis does not touch the floor, and the knees/thighs might brush the floor but don't bear weight.

• Like 4

question: how far do we need to be able to reach to count the pose as good form? e.g. with standing straddle forward bend I can touch my palms flat on the ground, but I can't bend my elbows as much as in the picture or touch my head to the floor (which the lady in the pic doesn't, either). In seated forward bend, I can touch my toes with my legs straight, but can't put my forehead to my knees. Do these count or not?

• Like 1

"The way you spend your days is the way you live your life"

Challenges: Current | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

question: how far do we need to be able to reach to count the pose as good form? e.g. with standing straddle forward bend I can touch my palms flat on the ground, but I can't bend my elbows as much as in the picture or touch my head to the floor (which the lady in the pic doesn't, either). In seated forward bend, I can touch my toes with my legs straight, but can't put my forehead to my knees. Do these count or not?

In past yoga challenges I have always just done the best that my body is safely and capably able to accomplish in the effort of the pose. If the pose is something really out of your body's ability and you aren't able to reach it at all safely, then it shouldnt be counted yet. I looke at most yoga poses similar to progressions like bodyweight exercises - start out in the easy and work on flexibility and strength to do others. And of course have fun with it!

I think bad form might be improper placement, rushed holds, and holding your breath instead of breathing through the pose (they aren't static statue poses, they are living, in my opinion).

That's just me though. I'm not an instructor or anything, I just enjoy yoga! (And all these fun challenges)

• Like 2

Battle Log | Challenges: Current |18 |17 |16 |15 |14 |13 |12 |11 |109 | 87 | 65432 | 1  

Though more commonly I see it done twisting TOWARDS the bent leg:

csm_17__Marichasana_C_b730cd6de3_50x50_0

As an aside, I love this third photo - I used to do a lot of manual photography in college and absolutely love the black and white in this photo, and the humanity of this person's body, undecorated and simple. Even the skin folds along his body are beautiful because they are *there*, a part of us all. I want to take pictures like this, haha!

• Like 1

Other clarifications -

Crab and table look like the same pose in the pics. As a yoga teacher, I would generally differentiate them by saying that crab only requires the butt be off the ground, but table requires the torso and upper thighs to be nearly flat.

Cobra and upward dog also look very similar in the pics. In cobra, generally the pelvis and perhaps lower abdomen are solidly grounded on the floor, and the arms can be slightly bent. In Up dog, the arms are always straight, the pelvis does not touch the floor, and the knees/thighs might brush the floor but don't bear weight.

Thanks Joshua! I was actually getting on here to ask about the crab/table poses. With the app I've been using, it's called crab and the instructor's torso, etc are flat so that's what I've been doing. So I guess I count the table pose as being done (since I did the crab pose today as part of my yoga session) and then do a less perfect version later and call it the crab pose. That's kind of weird.

• Like 2

Battle Log

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Fitbit, Epic Quest Character

For simplicity, in this case "good form" means straight limbs when they are meant to be straight, bent when they are meant to be bent, and use common sense if something is just too tough for you right this moment.  For example, if you're trying to do bird of paradise but can't complete the bind OR straighten your legs, this is not good form.  If you are doing downward dog and your back is straight, your arms are straight, your hips are up, but your heels are not quite on the floor, this is still fine.

Will fix links to poses once I have a bit of time, hopefully tomorrow.

• Like 2

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

Yeah, many of these poses are progressions, with the "full expression" of the pose being very advanced. Hell, the "full expression" of corpse pose in a traditional practice often includes entirely tuning out external sensations and/or an attitude of ego-less surrender to the all-that-is and/or a complete physical state of balanced relaxation. The great yoga teacher Iyengar liked to say that corpse was the hardest pose.

Based on my experience as a yoga teacher, and the pictures supplied, this is what I personally would consider minimums for reasonably good alignment. Not perfect, but good. Disclaimer: I haven't cross-checked every single one of these with the pics, there are many variations on poses, these are not all poses that I teach or practice, and the admins may have different standards than I do. This isn't every point of alignment - that would take too long. This is just the main things that would differentiate a decent expression of the pose from one that still needs a lot of work. If the description makes no sense at all, I'm probably mixing it up with another pose. Italics indicates poses I have never heard of, or never seen this variation of. I've included some pics of ones without pics.

So if you want an experienced opinion on what counts, here are my unofficial opinions:

Yoga headstand - steady balance, legs straight up in line with body

Shoulder stand - weight on upper arms, scapula, traps, etc. NOT neck/spine. steady balance, straight legs in line with body, torso at or nearly perpendicular to ground. firm padding under shoulders is fine.

Big Toe pose - grab the toes with straight legs.

Bird of paradise - clasp hands, lifted leg mostly straight.

Bow - grasp ankles, knees off the ground

Bridge - clasp hands, hips and torso in straight line (or above)

Camel - both hands touch heels/ankles. legs no further apart than shoulders

Cat - any reasonable movement. (Generally a dynamic pose, not a static hold. Move between cat and cow or cat and a flat back, exhaling into cat pose.)

Chair - hold with legs together and thighs close to parallel to ground

Child - body in full contact with legs

Cobbler's Pose - (bound angle) legs relaxed on the ground, feet very close to groin.

Cobra - chest lifted with minimal support of the arms

Compass - nearly straight leg behind shoulder

Corpse - relaxed without excessive fidgeting or fretting for 2 minutes

Cow - any reasonable movement. (Generally a dynamic pose, not a static hold. Move between cat and cow or cat and a flat back, inhaling into cow pose.)

Cow Face - knees stacked, feet tucked in close, hands clasped.

Crab - butt off the ground

Crow - balanced with feet off the ground. any position of knees is fine.

Dolphin - 90 degree angle at hips.

Dolphin Plank - straight body

Downward dog split - both legs straight, raised leg mostly in line with torso (If it was labeled "3 legged dog" I'd say the leg didn't have to be quite so high.)

Downward facing dog - 90-degree angle at hips, legs straight, heels close to ground, close to straight line between arms and torso.

Eagle - foot hooks around calf, palms press together.

Ear Pressure Pose - knees touch head and on or very close to ground

Extended hand to big toe - clasp toe, leg very close to straight out to the side.

Extended puppy - thighs perpendicular to floor - chest very close to floor with straight extended arms

Eye of the Needle pose - clasp hands around thigh

Fire Log Pose - knees stacked on ankles

Fish - crown of head touches ground, back & neck entirely off ground. elbows tucked in (forearms at least parallel to each other). hands under butt or along side.

Fish out of hero - same as fish, plus start sitting between heels (not on heels) and butt is firmly grounded, feet snug against thighs

Foot on front of thigh - foot at or very close to hip crease, with knee pointed down (not out in front)

Garland - arms close to the position shown in the pic - in close to a straight line.

Gate - bottom hand at ankle without rounding spine forward

Goddess pose - thighs perpendicular to floor and close to straight out to the sides (so if against a wall, hands touch chest and wall)

Half boat - not grabbing legs. lower leg parallel to ground

Half Frog Pose - full contact of foot against butt.

Half Lord of the fishes - foot of top leg touching thigh near knee. foot of bottom leg touching hip. shoulder over or nearly over knee.

Half lotus - one foot tucked well up onto the thigh, both knees on or within 2" of ground

Half moon pose - flat body, straight limbs.

Happy Baby / Bug Pose - grasp feet without rounding back

Head to Knee - grasp foot with minimal rounding of back

Heron - nearly straight leg, straight up, clasping foot.

Horse face - foot tucked high on thigh, steady balance.

King Dancer pose back thigh parallel to ground, chest lifted, grasping foot.

Knees to chest pose - full contact of legs to torso

Legs up the wall - full contact of legs against wall

Lion - tongue out, eyes crossed, hands engaged, sitting on heels.

Little Thunderbolt - clasp feet. elbows and knees on ground

Lizard - both elbows down, hips down (back leg in line with torso)

Locust - chest and thighs fully off the ground

Lotus in shoulder stand - reasonable full lotus, torso at or nearly perpendicular to ground

Lotus sit -both feet tucked well up onto the thigh, both knees on or within 2" of ground

Low boat - straight legs and arms, lower back fully off ground

Low Lunge / Crescent Pose - hips below knee, shoulders further back than hips

Marichi's Pose I - clasp hands around leg.

mdl - clasp hands around leg.

Melting heart pose - thighs NOT perpendicular to floor (knees further away than in "puppy") and chest solidly grounded with straight arms extended out front

Monkey - full split with arms overhead

Noose - clasp hands with arms around both legs

One leg bridge pose - lifted leg straight, hips high enough that torso is in line with other leg

One-Legged King pigeon pose - back leg straight back (quad on the ground), front shin does not have to be perpendicular to line of body.

Pigeon pose head down - like pigeon, but head touching ground with neutral neck

Pyramid - hips square to short end of mat, both hands touch floor. back foot pointed out slightly or straight ahead.

Reclining hero - body flat on ground, lower legs against thighs

Reverse Warrior - front thigh close to parallel to floor, back hand at or below knee

Revolved Half Moon - hand on ground. torso & leg in straight line parallel to ground

Revolved Head-to-knee - grasp foot with both hands. bottom shoulder at or beyond leg

Revolved Side Angle- bottom shoulder above or very close to thigh. front thigh close to parallel to ground. whole back foot firmly planted!

Revolved Triangle - hand flat on ground on the OUTSIDE of foot

Salutation Seal - ?? Only seen in reference to the hands in prayer position. Don't know if this one requires legs in Siddhasana as shown here.

Scale - legs in full lotus and fully suspended from ground

Seated forward bend - firmly grasping toes without excessively rounding back

Shooting Bow Pose - grasp both toes. top foot entirely further back than nose

Side angle - front thigh close to parallel to ground, back foot solidly grounded.

Side Plank - body flat, straight line from legs to torso

Side Reclining Leg Lift - straight leg, straight arm, balanced solidly on one side of body

Sleeping vishnu - ??? (As far as I know is the same pose as "side reclining leg lift")

Sphynx- elbows tucked, shoulders not elevated

Staff - straight legs, STRAIGHT BACK (no rounding of low back. hands near hips) Arms can be slightly bent or not touching ground depending on arm/torso length.

Standing half forward bend - flat back, hands on shins or lower

Standing Split top leg straight up. hands grasp ankle (not on floor)

Standing straddle forward bend - hands fully on floor

Sugar cane - touch ground, clasp foot, torso and thigh in straight line or thigh pulled further back.

Supine spinal twist - both shoulderblades and bottom thigh are firmly grounded

Table - body and thighs flat

Threading the needle - whole arm grounded firmly, to shoulder

Toestand - balanced on ball of foot, other leg firmly in half lotus

Tree pose - foot at or above knee. hands up.

Triangle - body close to flat (chest not rounded forward), hand close to ankle

Tripod Headstand legs straight up

Upward Facing Dog- hips off ground. thighs/knees may brush ground, but to not bear weight

Upward plank pose - body and legs in straight line, arms perpendicular to ground

Warrior I - front thigh close to parallel to ground, entire back foot firmly grounded.

Warrior III - leg and torso parallel to ground

Wheel pose* - hips significantly higher than chest, arms nearly straight.heels can be up or not.

Wild thing pose - the line from torso to thigh is convex or straight. (note the planted hand can face away from your body, unlike wheel)

Yoga Boat / V-sit - straight legs, 90-degree angle at hip, arms straight not touching legs.

Yoga Plow legs straight, feet touching ground

Yoga Rabbit - thighs perpendicular to ground, hands clasp ankles, head tucked and on ground

A note on "Back foot firmly grounded" - If the outside edge of your back foot comes up even slightly in the warrior-stance poses, or you have to actively press it down, your alignment is almost certain to be substantially off at the back hip. You aren't externally rotating the back thigh enough to establish a firm base. It isn't a minor point of alignment, and pressing your foot harder won't correct it. Instead, either don't step as far back, or step further out to the side, so the back foot feels solidly grounded. Back foot can be slightly turned out, or very turned out, but regardless back knee must point the same direction as the back foot.

• Like 2

This'll be fun, I'm sunburnt currently. Suspect that maybe trying to fold into esoteric forms should wait until that fades a little....

• Like 1

"What doesn't kill me better start running", level 7 Furyan Assassin
My Journey From Fat to Fit: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|CURRENT

A proud member of the Champion House; Targaryen (Assassin's mini), Hufflepuff bravery is forgetting to be afraid because the thing is so important that the risk doesn't even matter (Assassin's mini) , Hellfire Club represent! (Assassin's mini)

Yeah, many of these poses are progressions, with the "full expression" of the pose being very advanced. Hell, the "full expression" of corpse pose in a traditional practice often includes entirely tuning out external sensations and/or an attitude of ego-less surrender to the all-that-is and/or a complete physical state of balanced relaxation. The great yoga teacher Iyengar liked to say that corpse was the hardest pose.

Based on my experience as a yoga teacher, and the pictures supplied, this is what I personally would consider minimums for reasonably good alignment. Not perfect, but good. Disclaimer:  I haven't cross-checked every single one of these with the pics, there are many variations on poses, these are not all poses that I teach or practice, and the admins may have different standards than I do. This isn't every point of alignment - that would take too long. This is just the main things that would differentiate a decent expression of the pose from one that still needs a lot of work. If the description makes no sense at all, I'm probably mixing it up with another pose. Italics indicates poses I have never heard of, or never seen this variation of. I've included some pics of ones without pics.

So if you want an experienced opinion on what counts, here are my unofficial opinions:

Yoga headstand - steady balance, legs straight up in line with body

Shoulder stand - weight on upper arms, scapula, traps, etc. NOT neck/spine. steady balance, straight legs in line with body, torso at or nearly perpendicular to ground. firm padding under shoulders is fine.

Big Toe pose - grab the toes with straight legs.

Bird of paradise - clasp hands, lifted leg mostly straight.

Bow - grasp ankles, knees off the ground

Bridge - clasp hands, hips and torso in straight line (or above)

Camel - both hands touch heels/ankles. legs no further apart than shoulders

Cat - any reasonable movement. (Generally a dynamic pose, not a static hold. Move between cat and cow or cat and a flat back, exhaling into cat pose.)

Chair - hold with legs together and thighs close to parallel to ground

Child - body in full contact with legs

Cobbler's Pose - (bound angle) legs relaxed on the ground, feet very close to groin.

Cobra - chest lifted with minimal support of the arms

Compass - nearly straight leg behind shoulder

Corpse - relaxed without excessive fidgeting or fretting for 2 minutes

Cow - any reasonable movement. (Generally a dynamic pose, not a static hold. Move between cat and cow or cat and a flat back, inhaling into cow pose.)

Cow Face - knees stacked, feet tucked in close, hands clasped.

Crab - butt off the ground

Crow - balanced with feet off the ground. any position of knees is fine. 

Dolphin - 90 degree angle at hips.

Dolphin Plank - straight body

Downward dog split - both legs straight, raised leg mostly in line with torso (If it was labeled "3 legged dog" I'd say the leg didn't have to be quite so high.)

Downward facing dog - 90-degree angle at hips, legs straight, heels close to ground, close to straight line between arms and torso.

Eagle - foot hooks around calf, palms press together.

Ear Pressure Pose - knees touch head and on or very close to ground

Extended hand to big toe - clasp toe, leg very close to straight out to the side.

Extended puppy - thighs perpendicular to floor - chest very close to floor with straight extended arms

Eye of the Needle pose - clasp hands around thigh

Fire Log Pose - knees stacked on ankles

Fish - crown of head touches ground, back & neck entirely off ground. elbows tucked in (forearms at least parallel to each other). hands under butt or along side.

Fish out of hero - same as fish, plus start sitting between heels (not on heels) and butt is firmly grounded, feet snug against thighs

Foot on front of thigh - ??? (not sure if this is the intended pose) foot at or very close to hip crease, with knee pointed down (not out in front)

Garland - arms close to the position shown in the pic - in close to a straight line.

Gate - bottom hand at ankle without rounding spine forward

Goddess pose - thighs perpendicular to floor and close to straight out to the sides (so if against a wall, hands touch chest and wall)

Half boat - not grabbing legs. lower leg parallel to ground

Half Frog Pose - full contact of foot against butt.

Half Lord of the fishes - foot of top leg touching thigh near knee. foot of bottom leg touching hip. shoulder over or nearly over knee.

Half lotus - one foot tucked well up onto the thigh, both knees on or within 2" of ground

Half moon pose - flat body, straight limbs.

Happy Baby / Bug Pose - grasp feet without rounding back

Head to Knee - grasp foot with minimal rounding of back

Heron - nearly straight leg, straight up, clasping foot.

Horse face - foot tucked high on thigh, steady balance.

King Dancer pose back thigh parallel to ground, chest lifted, grasping foot.

Knees to chest pose - full contact of legs to torso

Legs up the wall - full contact of legs against wall

Lion - tongue out, eyes crossed, hands engaged, sitting on heels. 

Little Thunderbolt - clasp feet. elbows and knees on ground

Lizard - both elbows down, hips down (back leg in line with torso)

Locust - chest and thighs fully off the ground

Lotus in shoulder stand - reasonable full lotus, torso at or nearly perpendicular to ground

Lotus sit -both feet tucked well up onto the thigh, both knees on or within 2" of ground

Low boat - straight legs and arms, lower back fully off ground

Low Lunge / Crescent Pose - hips below knee, shoulders further back than hips

Marichi's Pose I - (NEED CONFIRMATION) fold, don't twist - chest points towards extended leg. clasp hands behind back, around leg.

mdl - (NEED CONFIRMATION)  twist. clasp hands around leg. (this one shows twisting toward leg. When I see that variant labeled marichyasana 1, I always suspect they learned the fold version at a beginner-level class, where people are just trying to get the hands clasped and no one was close to folding, and mistook which way to go to take the pose "deeper" But it may be just a different style I am unfamiliar with.  also - similar poses with the foot crossed over leg are one of the Matsyendrasena - "lord of fishes" - poses, not one of the marichi poses.)

Melting heart pose - thighs NOT perpendicular to floor (knees further away than in "puppy") and chest solidly grounded with straight arms extended out front

Monkey - full split with arms overhead

Noose - clasp hands with arms around both legs 

One leg bridge pose - lifted leg straight, hips high enough that torso is in line with other leg

One-Legged King pigeon pose - back leg straight back (quad on the ground), front shin does not have to be perpendicular to line of body.

Pigeon pose head down - like pigeon, but head touching ground with neutral neck

Pyramid - hips square to short end of mat, both hands touch floor. back foot pointed out slightly or straight ahead.

Reclining hero - body flat on ground, lower legs against thighs

Reverse Warrior - front thigh close to parallel to floor, back hand at or below knee

Revolved Half Moon - hand on ground. torso & leg in straight line parallel to ground

Revolved Head-to-knee - grasp foot with both hands. bottom shoulder at or beyond leg

Revolved Side Angle- bottom shoulder above or very close to thigh. front thigh close to parallel to ground. whole back foot firmly planted!

Revolved Triangle - hand flat on ground on the OUTSIDE of foot

Salutation Seal - ?? Only seen in reference to the hands in prayer position. Don't know if this one requires legs in Siddhasana as shown here.

Scale - legs in full lotus and fully suspended from ground

Seated forward bend - firmly grasping toes without excessively rounding back

Shooting Bow Pose - grasp both toes. top foot entirely further back than nose 

Side angle - front thigh close to parallel to ground, back foot solidly grounded.

Side Plank - body flat, straight line from legs to torso

Side Reclining Leg Lift - straight leg, straight arm, balanced solidly on one side of body

Sleeping vishnu - ??? (As far as I know is the same pose as "side reclining leg lift")

Sphynx- elbows tucked, shoulders not elevated

Staff - straight legs, STRAIGHT BACK (no rounding of low back. hands near hips) Arms can be slightly bent or not touching ground depending on arm/torso length.

Standing half forward bend - flat back, hands on shins or lower

Standing Split top leg straight up. hands grasp ankle (not on floor)

Standing straddle forward bend - hands fully on floor

Sugar cane - touch ground, clasp foot, torso and thigh in straight line or thigh pulled further back.

Supine spinal twist - both shoulderblades and bottom thigh are firmly grounded

Table - body and thighs flat

Threading the needle - whole arm grounded firmly, to shoulder

Toestand - balanced on ball of foot, other leg firmly in half lotus

Tree pose - foot at or above knee. hands up.

Triangle - body close to flat (chest not rounded forward), hand close to ankle

Tripod Headstand legs straight up

Upward Facing Dog- hips off ground. thighs/knees may brush ground, but to not bear weight

Upward plank pose - body and legs in straight line, arms perpendicular to ground

Warrior I - front thigh close to parallel to ground, entire back foot firmly grounded.

Warrior III - leg and torso parallel to ground

Wheel pose* - hips significantly higher than chest, arms nearly straight.heels can be up or not.

Wild thing pose - the line from torso to thigh is convex or straight. (note the planted hand can face away from your body, unlike wheel)

Yoga Boat / V-sit - straight legs, 90-degree angle at hip, arms straight not touching legs.

Yoga Plow legs straight, feet touching ground

Yoga Rabbit - thighs perpendicular to ground, hands clasp ankles, head tucked and on ground

A note on "Back foot firmly grounded" - If the outside edge of your back foot comes up even slightly in the warrior-stance poses, or you have to actively press it down, your alignment is almost certain to be substantially off at the back hip. You aren't externally rotating the back thigh enough to establish a firm base. It isn't a minor point of alignment, and pressing your foot harder won't correct it. Instead, either don't step as far back, or step further out to the side, so the back foot feels solidly grounded. Back foot can be slightly turned out, or very turned out, but regardless back knee must point the same direction as the back foot.

These are all good directions. Let's go with the following for the broken links:

Camel

Camel-Pose-257x300.jpg

Cow

shutterstock_cowpose.jpg

Fish

a10680257.jpg

Foot on front of thigh

011-Tree-Pose1.jpg

Sphinx

235_hp_08_fnl_450.jpg

Toestand

toes5.jpg

For mdl let's keep this one for simplicity:

marichyasana-1-bound-twist.jpg

• Like 3

🎪current challenge🎪

instagram | goodreads

I think there's something wrong with the spreadsheet. When I updated my number of poses, it changed the point value assigned to every Jedi above me on the list that had logged poses to the same point value.

Edit: A bunch of the Sith seem to have exactly the same point value despite having done a different number of poses, as well, although it's a different number than all of the Jedi who have the same number.

• Like 1

only what you take with you

Challenges: Starstuff Wars Episode I, II, III, IV, V, VI  

NF character ~ Fitbit ~ Strava ~ Smashrun ~ MyFitnessPal

Food Log

I think there's something wrong with the spreadsheet. When I updated my number of poses, it changed the point value assigned to every Jedi above me on the list that had logged poses to the same point value.

Edit: A bunch of the Sith seem to have exactly the same point value despite having done a different number of poses, as well, although it's a different number than all of the Jedi who have the same number.

I think from the explanation it's a team effort and the math is supposed to reflect that? Even if someone does a ton of poses, it averages out with others who have done less? Maybe I didn't understand properly...

• Like 2

The maximum individual score is equal to double the team's average score, otherwise you'll get too far ahead and become lost in the winding catacombs. :playful:

Whenever someone updates their score, the team average increases and anyone who's performed extra poses has their individual score automatically increased to reflect the new average.

Also, keep in mind that anyone who hasn't posted yet has a score of 0 when calculating their team average.

• Like 4

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

The maximum individual score is equal to double the team's average score, otherwise you'll get too far ahead and become lost in the winding catacombs. :playful:

Whenever someone updates their score, the team average increases and anyone who's performed extra poses has their individual score automatically increased to reflect the new average.

Also, keep in mind that anyone who hasn't posted yet has a score of 0 when calculating their team average.

This is an awesome game mechanic, btw.

Math:

If you are ahead of the current cap (twice the team average) your point aren't directly added to the team total. I think in the end it works out as if the points you add to the team score are multiplied by twice the percentage of teammates who are also above the cap. So if you are one of the 5 people on a 40-person team who are above the cap, and you do 10 more poses, it raises the team score by only 2.5 points, because you are raising the cap by 0.5 (10/40×2), so each of the 5 frontrunners add 0.5 more points to the team score. (It is more complicated if you add enough points that some people are no longer over the cap.) If you are below the cap, you raise the team total by the full number of poses you do, plus this indirect increase from raising the cap for the frontrunners. So if it were not one of the frontrunners, those same 10 poses would increase the team score by 12.5 points, instead of just 2.5.

I might not be entirely correct on the math here, but the general effect is that frontrunners only increase the team score by a small percentage of the points for their additional poses.

• Like 3

I just want to double check, if we use things like blocks and belts will the poses still count as good form?

Looking through the list, I'm not seeing many that I'd count if you needed a block or belt. The guild leaders have the final say of course, but since no one has answered this yet...

A few inches of firm padding in any of the shoulder-stand type poses is 100% okay.

A block is fine for triangle, revolved triangle, and side angle, because the example images do not actually show reaching all the way to the the ground. A short block is okay for pyramid, revolved triangle, half moon and revolved half moon.

Definitely no strap for cow face pose. Definitely no strap for extended hand to big toe pose. Definitely not a block for camel. Definitely no strap for bow or dancer. Definitely no block under you for pigeon. I might count bird of paradise with a few inches of strap, if the leg was straight and high. For the marichi poses or or noose any other arm bind around the leg, I might count it with a strap ONLY if the person had a substantial belly or big thighs BUT was clearly able to rotate the shoulder past the knee to the point that would normally be required for the bind.

I'm all for people using blocks and straps to practice, but if you are assessing which poses you can do, that would be without a strap or block. starsapart said:

"For simplicity, in this case "good form" means straight limbs when they are meant to be straight, bent when they are meant to be bent, and use common sense if something is just too tough for you right this moment."

• Like 1