Knee Issues

Hello everyone, long time no see! I'm restarting weight loss efforts tomorrow and I am looking for some advice regarding exercises.  My right knee appears to be developing some possible arthritis that I want to say probably started popping up from my current job.  I find myself sometimes have to get on my hands and knees to do some work, and after a few times getting down on the floor there will come a point where my knee becomes tight and I can only squat down to a certain point before it gets tight and hurts.  The other form it manifests itself in is usually after sitting and I can feel a tight and sharp feeling behind my knee that keeps me from stretching the leg out all the way.  Most of the time you just gotta get off the knee for a little bit and the issues go away and I can go along like usual.  If I decide not to get on my knees during work then the issue almost never manifests itself.  I'm a big fan of bodyweight type workouts and I'm sure as most of you already know squats is a huge part of not only those workouts but also the workouts for weight lifting.  I'm concerned that doing squats might be a bit too much for my knee, and I'm unsure if it will cause the issues to manifest.  So I'm basically looking to see if any of you guys have exercise suggestions that will still workout the legs but perhaps not be as sketchy when it comes to my current joint issues.

Thanks in advance to any who reply.

"An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered." - G.K. Chesterton 

A few questions, no real answer for you. Sorry mate.

The issue in your knee stems from when you spend too long in one position then try to go through a full or partial Range of Movement?

Spending a lot of time in compromised positions can do this, do you mobilise/stretch after or during a day's work? 

Does the snappy tight feeling go away if you spend some (A lot of)  time warming up & mobilising and gradually easing into a full ROM squat? (leg swings> sit to stands> box squat>  full squat)

I don't know too much about bodyweight training, The only thing i can think of for you if you haven't got much ROM in any situation and are also low impact are maybe step ups, stair climbs, leg swings, lying leg raises....  

"Strength is the cup. The bigger the cup, the more you can put in" - JDanger

Hi Pat, thanks for your response! 

Surprisingly I have never actually considered doing any kind of stretching or warming up for the knee in question before I started my day of work.  I just know that I lose a pretty decent amount of ROM when the issue kicks into gear.  I'll actually try stretching out the knee and such before work tonight to see if it has any effect on it.  

Thanks also for the recommendations at the end, I was able to do squats just fine today but I might go easy on the squatting exercises and supplement with the step ups and stair climbs etc.

Thanks.

"An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered." - G.K. Chesterton 

Have you considered trying a cheap neoprene knee brace?  Something for both support and keeping the joint warm?

I also really like the idea of spending time warming up the knee(s) prior to work - from a certain point of view, your work could be viewed as a bodyweight drill, which you're trying without proper prep work.

That said, you might want to consider talking to a medical professional - particularly if you don't see yourself changing jobs anytime soon.  

• Like 1

Have you considered trying a cheap neoprene knee brace?  Something for both support and keeping the joint warm?

I also really like the idea of spending time warming up the knee(s) prior to work - from a certain point of view, your work could be viewed as a bodyweight drill, which you're trying without proper prep work.

That said, you might want to consider talking to a medical professional - particularly if you don't see yourself changing jobs anytime soon.  

Thanks for the advice! I very much plan to talk to a medical professional eventually, but being without insurance it might be a while.  

Yaaaay, knees. I've re-built both of mine after both IT band sydrome and "Runner's knee," also called theater knee.

I don't like knee braces if I can avoid them. Knees are victims of the upstream and downstream joints and musculature. Make sure your quads, hammies, and calves are all in good repair with full range of motion (and able to generate power from positions of full extension). A PT can probably help you figure out where your weaknesses are, but in the meantime, you should be able to perform basic maintenance on yourself. My favorite resource is the MWOD channel on youtube. For an arthritis type situation, I would start with some flexion gapping to make some space in your knee joint.

• Like 1

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

Yaaaay, knees. I've re-built both of mine after both IT band sydrome and "Runner's knee," also called theater knee.

I don't like knee braces if I can avoid them. Knees are victims of the upstream and downstream joints and musculature. Make sure your quads, hammies, and calves are all in good repair with full range of motion (and able to generate power from positions of full extension). A PT can probably help you figure out where your weaknesses are, but in the meantime, you should be able to perform basic maintenance on yourself. My favorite resource is the MWOD channel on youtube. For an arthritis type situation, I would start with some flexion gapping to make some space in your knee joint.

Thanks for the video! I'll make sure to be checking it out.  I do want to point out though that I have been including squats in limited fashion during my exercising and so far in the last 4 days I have not had any of the knee issues that I had described above, so it makes me even more excited to explore these suggestions I have been given because it honestly feels like it is working.

I'm working on one knee being an after-market part (my right patella was made by Hasbro).  I can tell you that those cheap neoprene braces work wonders for exercise.  Also, I'm not sure if they make them anymore, but there were some that had compression-style straps on them.  Those are good for doing mid-length runs (like 3-5 miles).

I ran  and then ran trails barefoot for a long while, until my knees just failed.  It seemed  like it happened fast when in fact I had been wrestling with them for some time.  The end result was 2 new knees.  Here is what I did wrong but am now doing right.  I have had a complete and wonderful recovery.  No more knee pain needs a lot of work build quads, hammies, and calves.  Stay away from squats and lunges, focus on using machines... I hated machines but my old knees and now my new knees didn't do well with body weight exercises.  Also, add yoga for hip  and hamstring stretch.  

Don't forget to ice and heat after a workout.

On 3/28/2016 at 5:18 PM, MoodyBeth2 said:

No more knee pain needs a lot of work build quads, hammies, and calves.  Stay away from squats and lunges, focus on using machines

I had a conversation about this with my bf's dad (long time Physical Therapist) on Saturday. He was all over the building quads, hammies, etc, but the exercises he recommended to do that were squats and lunges. I can see avoiding them at the start if you've just reconstructed your knees, but do you intend to avoid them forever? Machines do your stabilization for you, to some extent. 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs