Hi! I'm Quin. I found Nerd Fitness around two (maybe three) years ago and subscribed to the newsletters. I was still at a point in my life, however, where I didn't really take my personal health seriously. I thought "I'm only in my twenties. I'll be fine." This past Friday, that thought went away and my view on everything changed.

The Awakening:
I went to the doctor earlier in the week because my right arm and hand hurt constantly. Carrying a gallon of milk from the back of the store to the front of the store was painful for me! She thought that I may have a pinched nerve, but sent me in for x-rays just to be sure. On Friday, while I was at work, one of the nurses called me. She called me six times in two hours. I decided I should probably call back the second that I had the chance, because they don't typically call that much unless something is going on. I went to lunch around 2pm that day and, without knowing what was going on with my body, I decided that I should start trying to clean up my diet. I grabbed a salad, a bottle of water, and a small bag of grapes before going to the break room and giving her a call. She didn't answer, so I left a voicemail. A few minutes later, she called me back. I was just starting to eat my lunch when she told me what the x-ray showed and I completely lost my appetite. 

I have early Osteoporosis. 

At 29 years old, I'm already experiencing bone loss. 

Following the phone call, I immediately walked over to the pharmacy (I work at Walmart) and grabbed a bottle of Calcium +D3. 

I went back to the break room, took one of the tablets, and then started Googling like crazy. I'm not lying when I say that all of my free time right now is spent reading about Osteoporosis, how to stop its progress, and how to restore bone density. The good news: It is possible to stop it! 

Rise to Power:

For most of my life, my diet has been absolutely awful. It could probably be described as "Unattended Toddler in a Sweet Shoppe" at best. When I was younger, however, it didn't seem to matter quite as much because I was extremely active. Nowadays, I'm quite sedentary outside of work and it shows. After reading quite a bit, I realized just how much my choices have affected my body's ability to absorb calcium like it should and how much all of it affects bone density. I immediately stopped drinking soda after that phone call on Friday and I will absolutely never touch another one. I also very quickly made serious changes to my diet. For the most part, I've been avoiding the inner aisles of the grocery store. I shop for lean meats, vegetables, fruits, milk, and eggs. 

The way I see it, I can let it bring me down or I can let it empower me to live a healthier life. I'm going to use it as a way to empower myself! I know what to buy, because I've read the Beginner's Guide to Paleo a dozen times. It's putting together meals and exercising right that I have trouble with. The doctor mentioned doing strength training, so I guess that's what I'm looking to get into. 

Help me out, guys! 

Oh.. And it's great to meet all of you! 

Oh yikes! That's hard :/ Osteoporosis runs in my family which is why I take 2 Tums every morning. 

As far as advice for meals. If you're shopping lean meats and veggies, you can do so much with those. Baking, sauteeing, grilling... It's wonderful. Just add spices. Garlic powder and onion powder are excellent! Also crushed red pepper flakes for a little spice in your diet :P There are a few recipes on the main site, and there are so many paleo recipe sites that have great options that are well balanced in regards to nutrition.

Also- batch cooking. I make 'mini-quiches' which is just scrambled egg put in muffin tins with things like cheese, spinach, onion, and sometimes a breakfasty meat. Since I'm on my own right now, a meal for 4-5+ people feeds me for a week. I cook those sorts of things on Sunday evenings when I bake my bread and make the mini-quiches, then I have food all week. 

Advice for strength training. I honestly love lifting weights. I tried it this summer and it's been fun. Try starting with the app StrongLifts 5x5 and adjust the starting level to what you can handle. I still have to bench dumbbells, so don't be afraid to start light! The other option is the book Starting Strength if you're able to buy it from Amazon (when I started I couldn't afford it).

Welcome to the rebellion and let me know if I can help you at all!

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Becomes Her Own Hero

Jedi Battle Log

“Keep Calm, Carry On, and Don't Freeze Up!”

- Oboro Shirakumo (Loud Cloud), My Hero Academia Vigilantes

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10#11#12#13#14#15#16, #17#18#19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33,  #34#35#36#37#38#39#40#41#42#43#44, #45#46#47#48#49#50#51#52#53#54#55#56#57#58#59#60#61#62#63