I have been having trouble with the Customize Your Batcave quest. It seems easy, but I have a small home and put into place most of the suggestions before I had even heard of Nerd Fitness.

I am looking for suggestions that maybe out of the normal as I am working toward a full life level up. Maybe ways to help making cleaning easier and messes more difficult to make... does something like that even exist??? 

ANY ideas would be great - looking for that kick start. If there is a board that already talks about this (I can't seem to find one) I would love to hear about that as well!

This is also the time where I wish I had gone to Hogwarts - although I would have probably never have mastered cleaning spells either... or be rich enough for a (well treated) house elf. Support S.P.E.W.!

Current Challenge

"Building a New Normal" - My Character

Walk to Mordor (Hobbiton to Rivendell - Loot = new minimalist shoes)

23%

Adulting in April

18%

Hm, not sure how great a contribution this will be but I'll give it my best shot. All I can recommend is that you try and give everything a home. Sounds obvious; but really. Collect everything you have and think; does this have a proper home. A place it can live and that can be its default position and that most importantly - looks tidy. Things like placemats or mugs, etc.

Oh, here's another; have a basket or hamper by your door; could be your front door or your bedroom door. And whenever you have crap that you just cant be bothered to put away or decide upon a home for, throw them in the little basket. Then, every day or every so often, sort that. Keeps the place neat.

As for optimizing your space for levelling up your life... I'll have to brainstorm that a little. But if I do, I'll be sure to come back and let you know! I can relate having a rather small place myself; its cosy, open-floor plan, but small, so a lot of the typical "optimize your space" tips have already been utilized here without knowing about it.

Best of luck! :)

Thanks so much for the reply Ellie! That definitely helps! I got rid of over 20 bags of excess stuff about a year ago and haven't gotten a lot of new. Maybe another purge is in order. Less stuff = less stuff to find places for things to live! 

I like the little basket idea, instead of 5 or 6 collection places for various items, give them one.

I may have time to implement the basket this weekend, second purge may have to wait a few weeks.

Current Challenge

23%

Adulting in April

18%

I was thinking of posting this same topic.  I'm also having problems with the Batcave.  I put our exercise bike in the living room, lined up with the chairs my husband and I watch TV in, so I can jump on and exercise for a bit while watching.  I moved my alarm clock to the other side of the room because I have been known to hit the snooze button for an entire hour rather than get up and work out.  These are the only things I've come up with so far.

Clutter has been an ongoing problem in our home, too.  I've found that to really make progress, you have to be willing to live with a worse mess for a short period in order to end up in a better place.  What I mean is that you may need to pull everything out of a closet or junk room into your living space in order to sort it all out and put what you want to keep back in a meaningful order.  I usually schedule periods to do this, when we know we won't be busy and won't have people coming to the house.  I had a room that was supposed to be my art studio, but it was so full of junk I couldn't get into the room.  I spent 4 days when my husband was on a business trip to pull everything out into the living room, where I went through it, sorted it into things I wanted to keep, things to donate, and things to throw away.  It took 3 weeks to put all the recycling out, there were so many old magazines and newspapers hiding in there!  It was hard work, and I had to fight not to get discouraged, but boy, was it worth it!  I made room for an inversion table and I got my art supplies sorted out. And once you get a place the way you want it, make it sacred!  I will dump stuff in the living room before I'll load it in my art room!  

Sounds like you're on the right track though! I've been doing a few things like keeping a water bottle on my desk at work. I never have the chance to forget it or leave it. It sits there staring at me so I always make sure it's full and I always have water! But really that's all I've got so far. 

Thanks for the input though Crystal!

• Like 1

Current Challenge

23%

Adulting in April

18%

12 hours ago, acgilbert11@gmail.com said:

Sounds like you're on the right track though! I've been doing a few things like keeping a water bottle on my desk at work. I never have the chance to forget it or leave it. It sits there staring at me so I always make sure it's full and I always have water! But really that's all I've got so far. 

Thanks for the input though Crystal!

I've come up with another - we keep a jar of peanuts in the living room to snack on, but I find once I open it, I've been reaching into it without thinking, so I've banned the peanuts to the kitchen so I have to be consciously aware of getting them.  

We also bought a chin-up bar, but until my husband gets around to hanging it, I don't think it's fair to count it!

3 hours ago, Crystal Jade said:

I've come up with another - we keep a jar of peanuts in the living room to snack on, but I find once I open it, I've been reaching into it without thinking, so I've banned the peanuts to the kitchen so I have to be consciously aware of getting them.  

We also bought a chin-up bar, but until my husband gets around to hanging it, I don't think it's fair to count it!

I know it well! Good luck getting bar up soon. The peanuts is a good idea. I cut up all the cucumbers I bought so they were just as easy to reach for as carrots sticks - eliminating the step... Worked like a charm! Except now I need to buy more cucs!

Current Challenge

23%

Adulting in April

18%